PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Domination

Hammersmith
03-01-2009, 09:25 PM
On the SDSU message board, one of their posters keeps track of the Commissioner's Cup and the men's and women's -only companion cups. I wanted to see how the indoor track championships affected the standings, so I did the math and updated the MBB & WBB totals. It got me thinking about the overall impact NDSU and SDSU have had on the Summit.

We(NDSU's fanbase) took some heat when we were being considered for Mid-Con membership because some of us claimed we would walk in and dominate. Well, it looks like we have. This year, we have claimed a share of, or taken outright, seven regular season championships between us. That's out of eleven possible. And only one of those, SDSU's women's soccer title, was shared. Out of the remaining eight championships, NDSU will probably take three(MOT&F, WOT&F, SB). In total, it's likely that ten out of the nineteen Summit championships will come to the Dakotas, and that's not counting a fairly strong SDSU golf program.

2008-09 Summit Championships
NDSU: 4 (VB, MBB, MIT&F, WIT&F)
Oak: 4(MS, WS*, MS&D, WS&D)
SDSU: 3(WS*, WCC, WBB)
IUPUI: 1(WS*)
SUU: 1(MCC)

*shared - SDSU won the conference tourney

Here are the current standings for the Commissioner's Cup:

1. Oakland 64.0
2. South Dakota State 60.0
3. North Dakota State 59.0
4. Oral Roberts 46.0
5. Western Illinois 43.5
6. IUPUI 43.0
7. Southern Utah 41.0
8. IPFW 34.0
9. UMKC 21.0
10. Centenary 16.5
(might change a little after Monday's WBB games)

We are tied with ORU for second place for the men's cup behind Oakland, and in sole possession of second place for the women's cup behind SDSU. If you average the number of points divided by the number of sports, we have a strong lead over everyone with SDSU sitting in second.

ndsoccerfan
03-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks Hammer I appreciate the work. I will say that I don't think it makes sense to divide the number of points by the number of sports offered because the conference accounts for this by adjusting the total points possible. My example is that seven schools have men's soccer and the champion in men's soccer receives 7 points for winning the league compared to 10 for men's BB.

To have # of points divided by # of sports be fair you would have to adjust the points award so 1st place gets- 10 points, 2nd- 9, ect. Then it may be a little more relevant.

Kermit
03-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I will say that I don't think it makes sense to..be fair you would have to adjust the points..

Fair and logical are over-rated. Hammer is simply doing what good statisticians and politicians everywhere do. He's putting the Bison case in the best possible light. :cool: :hide:

http://www.baclass.panam.edu/comm2002/Textbook/images/idpolsterb.gif

Hammersmith
03-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Fair and logical are over-rated. Hammer is simply doing what good statisticians and politicians everywhere do. He's putting the Bison case in the best possible light. :cool: :hide:

Oh crap, you caught me out. Actually, I thought about trying to correct for the different levels of points, but it was late, I was lazy, and I said screw it.

I actually think it's somewhat fair to do it my way. NDSU and SDSU get bonuses for placing highly in the sports where (nearly)every school competes in. I think that's right. The competition in those sports is the greatest, so a bonus should apply.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. It's just fun with numbers.

NorCalJack
03-03-2009, 06:37 PM

If two universities have the same athletic budget and one participates in 14 events and the other has 19, shouldn't the university with 14 teams be able to field better teams than the university with 19 teams?

Here is a list of the Summit League universities and how many teams each field in the conference.

Western Illinois 19
Oakland 18
SDSU 18
Oral Roberts 16
IPFW 15
Centenary 15
UMKC 15
IUPUI 14
NDSU 14
Southern Utah 14

I'm just saying.:nod:

cvbison1
03-03-2009, 06:41 PM
jack fans are always grabbing. when will they learn that SDSU always has been and always will be less than a sister to NDSU

Bison Dan
03-03-2009, 07:26 PM
jack fans are always grabbing. when will they learn that SDSU always has been and always will be less than a sister to NDSU

You can count on 2 more championships in Track, maybe Softball. As far as the number of programs, I like where we're at. The additional programs that some schools have are non-revenue sports and if you can't be competitive nationally with them they just waste resources.

Hammersmith
03-03-2009, 07:40 PM
I like the philosophy of a smaller number of sports, but supporting them at a higher level; the quality versus quantity debate. With a limited budget, I'd rather see a smaller number of student-athletes have a better experience than a larger number of student-athletes having a worse. It's also why I don't want NDSU to add any sport(including hockey or FBS football) until baseball and golf have been brought to the same level as the rest of Bison athletics.

ndsoccerfan
03-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I just think that the current scoring format already adjusts itself for the discrepency in the number of sports. It does that by adjusting the number of points awarded in the sports that not every conference member participates.

I'm sure one could argue that the champion for each sport should get 10 points regardless of the # of institutions that sponsor that sport. I'm sure there are member institutions that feel if the Summit League sponsors a sport that it should award points as 10-1st 9-2nd 8-3rd ect.

zooropa
03-04-2009, 12:04 AM
until baseball and golf have been brought to the same level as the rest of Bison athletics.
Given the weather around here, that's going to be an expensive undertaking.

For SDSU, swim/dive and track sports are there to meet the SD BoR's strict Title IX requirements (equal scholarships/equal participation). There are about twice as many women in swim/dive as there are men, and I believe there's a sizable discrepancy between men & women in the track and field sports as well.

Regarding the 'little sister' remark, well, we'll take our second consecutive Helen Smiley trophy, our win in the soccer tourney, our nationally ranked golfers, and our back to back championships in WBB and cry ourselves to sleep..... We'll take our big fat pile of academic awards too.................. And our back-to-back finishes ahead of you in football.

Track is the one area where I wish SDSU would get off its butt. Track and cross country are big at the high school level in the upper midwest, but SDSU has basically let USD & NDSU glom onto the best athletes in track for too long.

BTW: USD will give you guys a run for the money when they get into the Summit. There are only two better indoor track facilities in the region. Nebraska's and Iowa State's. Unfortunately the 'Yote's exceptional indoor track makes for downright lousy basketball & football venues.

heckler
03-04-2009, 01:09 AM

For SDSU, swim/dive and track sports are there to meet the SD BoR's strict Title IX requirements (equal scholarships/equal participation). There are about twice as many women in swim/dive as there are men, and I believe there's a sizable discrepancy between men & women in the track and field sports as well.

Regarding the 'little sister' remark, well, we'll take our second consecutive Helen Smiley trophy, our win in the soccer tourney, our nationally ranked golfers, and our back to back championships in WBB and cry ourselves to sleep..... We'll take our big fat pile of academic awards too.................. And our back-to-back finishes ahead of you in football.

Track is the one area where I wish SDSU would get off its butt. Track and cross country are big at the high school level in the upper midwest, but SDSU has basically let USD & NDSU glom onto the best athletes in track for too long.

BTW: USD will give you guys a run for the money when they get into the Summit. There are only two better indoor track facilities in the region. Nebraska's and Iowa State's. Unfortunately the 'Yote's exceptional indoor track makes for downright lousy basketball & football venues.

here we go again... way to go Hammersmith

Bisonguy
03-04-2009, 01:37 AM

We'll see about USD and track. NDSU dominated everyone including USD in the NCC. Looking over the Summit League indoor championship against the Great West 'conference' indoor championship, it appears that nothing has changed.

cvbison1
03-04-2009, 01:40 AM
sorry zooropa, but NDSU is about 10 steps ahead of the jacks. lots of improvement down there, but still not as good as big brother up north. Ask around.

Hammersmith
03-04-2009, 01:56 AM
here we go again... way to go Hammersmith

D'oh! I even started this thread to point out that were are becoming the class of the Summit together. Road to Hell, meet good intentions.

zooropa
03-04-2009, 02:17 AM
sorry zooropa, but NDSU is about 10 steps ahead of the jacks. lots of improvement down there, but still not as good as big brother up north. Ask around.

Hammersmith:

Curious about who started flinging the mud? Look no farther than one of your own..... That is, if you'd like to be classed in with this caricature....

heckler
03-04-2009, 02:56 AM
D'oh! I even started this thread to point out that were are becoming the class of the Summit together. Road to Hell, meet good intentions.

Just given you a hard time ;)

zooropa
03-04-2009, 02:59 AM
We'll see about USD and track. NDSU dominated everyone including USD in the NCC. Looking over the Summit League indoor championship against the Great West 'conference' indoor championship, it appears that nothing has changed.
USD fast-tracked their track program. Like VB & wrestling at SDSU and I think NDSU, USD's track program will be playoff eligible next year. They're spending the money there, and they're basically all but in the Summit.

Hammersmith
03-04-2009, 03:20 AM
Just given you a hard time ;)

My comment was also tongue-in-cheek. I was writing something of a pissy reply to zooropa's calling me out, but if you misunderstood as well, then maybe I was just unclear.

Still, to zooropa: You may want to consider taking a break from here for a couple days. You've been posting more on Bisonville than SDSUFans and, if you're getting worked up enough about a throwaway comment by cvbison1 to write a whole paragraph listing all of SDSU's accomplishments over the last two years, then you might want to consider why you're taking it so seriously. It takes two to tango, and you seem eager to jump on the dance floor.

Or maybe I'm just tired and cranky. (For the record, this is the third draft of my reply, and each draft has been markedly more kind.)

cvbison1
03-04-2009, 03:22 AM
My comment was also tongue-in-cheek. I was writing something of a pissy reply to zooropa's calling me out, but if you misunderstood as well, then maybe I was just unclear.

Still, to zooropa: You may want to consider taking a break from here for a couple days. You've been posting more on Bisonville than SDSUFans and, if you're getting worked up enough about a throwaway comment by cvbison1 to write a whole paragraph listing all of SDSU's accomplishments over the last two years, then you might want to consider why you're taking it so seriously. It takes two to tango, and you seem eager to jump on the dance floor.

Or maybe I'm just tired and cranky. (For the record, this is the third draft of my reply, and each draft has been markedly more kind.)

Smart man, Hammersmith.:nod:

Hammersmith
03-04-2009, 03:24 AM
USD fast-tracked their track program. Like VB & wrestling at SDSU and I think NDSU, USD's track program will be playoff eligible next year. They're spending the money there, and they're basically all but in the Summit.

And look at how well fast-tracking those programs worked for us. Maybe they'll be competitive with us and maybe they won't; there's no way to know until they face in a meet. (And I'm still not convinced USD will be invited into the Summit in the near future.)

Hammersmith
03-04-2009, 03:38 AM
I just think that the current scoring format already adjusts itself for the discrepency in the number of sports. It does that by adjusting the number of points awarded in the sports that not every conference member participates.

I'm sure one could argue that the champion for each sport should get 10 points regardless of the # of institutions that sponsor that sport. I'm sure there are member institutions that feel if the Summit League sponsors a sport that it should award points as 10-1st 9-2nd 8-3rd ect.

"Okay, fine," he says huffingly. (it's a word if I say it is)

Just for you, I came up with a comparison matrix that used Pythagorean computations combined with logarithmic analysis, boolean logic, inverse radio spectrometry, and magic. It's so complicated, I don't even know how I did it. When the dust settled, this table emerged from the nothingness. (There were also a couple stone tablets about some commandments or something, but they didn't say anything about the Bison, so I tossed them.)

Total Points/Total Sports - Adjusted

School Points
1. North Dakota State 8.17
2. Oakland 7.23
3. South Dakota State 7.03
4. Southern Utah 6.46
5. Oral Roberts 6.31
6. IUPUI 5.39
7. Western Illinois 5.19
8. IPFW 4.57
9. UMKC 2.99
10. Centenary 2.63
I used a lowest common denominator to adjust all sports so that first place finishes were all worth the same(7560). There was multiplication and division and addition all going on. It was ugly.

(Can you all tell this response was tongue-in-cheek? I don't want anyone to be confused.)

56BISON73
03-04-2009, 03:44 AM

I dont visit the bunny board but may be hes over here because nobody will talk to him over there??? I mean look at his posts??? Talk about War and Peace in length. Plus when he gets his teeth in to something he just cant let go no matter how mundane it gets. Reminds me allot of MPLS. LOL.
Just an observation.

zooropa
03-04-2009, 04:01 AM
And look at how well fast-tracking those programs worked for us.

Fffft. SDSU won the Summit VB tournament in fall 2007 (2nd year of eligibility), and earned the privilege of getting stomped by Nebraska----

Also, as I recall, you guys sent a couple wrestlers to the NCAAs in spring 2007 (1st year of eligibility). SDSU sent one guy.

As to the smart remark about SDSU being NDSU's kid sister....... like I said. We'll take our hardware and your insults and see which one gets the most notice from the world in general.

zooropa
03-04-2009, 04:05 AM
You've been posting more on Bisonville than SDSUFans
The only live subjects over there are KWSN (SF sports radio station) a subject on which I couldn't possibly care less, and SDSU WBB--and there, well, shoot, how much more can you say about them? It's all been said, and then some.

airwaveslave
03-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Going back to track, I don't think zooropa's comment about "i wish the track team (at sdsu) would get off their butts" is justified. I think it's fair to note that SDSU's coach is only in his fifth year and the program has made pretty big strides from where it was at the end of D2 days. SDSU was a pretty good track team back in the 70's (ask Don Larsen) and into the 80's winning quite a few NCC championships. Into the 90's and early 2000's, SDSU's coach worked on building the cross country team and didn't have much balance when it came to forming a track team. It seemed like they always had a good hurdler or two and maybe a thrower and then a bunch of distance guys that usually cleaned up in the longer races...However, those distance guys won more NCC XC championships (29 I believe) then all other NCC member schools did combined.

Coach DeHaven is currently doing a pretty good job at building the track program up and giving it some balance, but it's important to remember that it takes time to build a program. I think the SDSU women's team has only been fully funded (18 schollies) for a couple years now while NDSU's has been fully funded for longer than that (correct me if I'm wrong). SDSU's mens team OTOH, has right around 6 scholies to hand out throughout the entire track team while NDSU's mens team has somewhere between 10 and 12 (NCAA D1 max is 12.6). It's pretty simple to see what you can do with twice the resources and not to mention an indoor facility.

If SDSU ever gets a fieldhouse with a track in it, it should level the playing field a little more. I'm not saying they'll going to beat NDSU in the near future, but I think Coach DeHaven is doing a pretty good job given the resources he has.

Also note that while DeHaven is building the track teams, the SDSU women won the XC conference championship and were one point away from it last year. Their men's team is coming around also. This past year, they struggled with injuries and other issues having 3 (potentially 4) of their top 7 runners out for a majority of the year (including the conference meet).

Sorry to discuss track so much. But for the most part, I believe the average sports fan knows little to nothing about track. That is all...

zooropa
03-04-2009, 03:15 PM
If SDSU ever gets a fieldhouse with a track in it, it should level the playing field a little more. I'm not saying they'll going to beat NDSU in the near future, but I think Coach DeHaven is doing a pretty good job given the resources he has.

My beef is on the facilities end. DeHaven's a good coach, and due to the state's rigorous Title IX stance, SDSU will probably never have as many men on scholarship as NDSU. But geesh---they have no quality facilities.

Hammersmith
03-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Going back to track, I don't think zooropa's comment about "i wish the track team (at sdsu) would get off their butts" is justified. I think it's fair to note that SDSU's coach is only in his fifth year and the program has made pretty big strides from where it was at the end of D2 days. SDSU was a pretty good track team back in the 70's (ask Don Larsen) and into the 80's winning quite a few NCC championships. Into the 90's and early 2000's, SDSU's coach worked on building the cross country team and didn't have much balance when it came to forming a track team. It seemed like they always had a good hurdler or two and maybe a thrower and then a bunch of distance guys that usually cleaned up in the longer races...However, those distance guys won more NCC XC championships (29 I believe) then all other NCC member schools did combined.

Coach DeHaven is currently doing a pretty good job at building the track program up and giving it some balance, but it's important to remember that it takes time to build a program. I think the SDSU women's team has only been fully funded (18 schollies) for a couple years now while NDSU's has been fully funded for longer than that (correct me if I'm wrong). SDSU's mens team OTOH, has right around 6 scholies to hand out throughout the entire track team while NDSU's mens team has somewhere between 10 and 12 (NCAA D1 max is 12.6). It's pretty simple to see what you can do with twice the resources and not to mention an indoor facility.

Also note that while DeHaven is building the track teams, the SDSU women won the XC conference championship and were one point away from it last year. Their men's team is coming around also. This past year, they struggled with injuries and other issues having 3 (potentially 4) of their top 7 runners out for a majority of the year (including the conference meet).

Sorry to discuss track so much. But for the most part, I believe the average sports fan knows little to nothing about track. That is all...

When discussing the fact that NDSU was only going to use 10 of the 15 possible scholarships in women's basketball this year, either Dorn or DeHoff said that the only women's sports not fully funded were golf and T&F/CC. It was a little surprising as I also thought we were fully funded in track. I have to think it's like the men's side: only a scholarship or two shy of the max. It doesn't make your point any less valid(I think you're correct in everything you wrote), but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I do have a question for those that follow track closely. Is it difficult for a team to do well in all three sports? It seems like the teams that do well in CC, finish middle of the pack in T&F. The reverse also seems to be true. Are there not enough scholarships to build a program that's good in distance, sprints, and field events, so the coach must choose two of the three? Or is it just that it's difficult to have all three good at the same time?

zooropa
03-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Or is it just that it's difficult to have all three good at the same time?
SDSU has 2 assistant coaches in T&F. NDSU has 4.

NDSU, therefore, ought to have broader success in T&F, as there are so many different specialties--each with (presumably) its own training intricacies, that staffing becomes the major obstacle to success.

SDSU can get in the top 25 in WBB & FCS while being short-staffed, but to do well in T&F? Not likely.....

----

Also, AFAIK, Cross Country is comparatively huge in South Dakota, and I believe that's helped SDSU put together disproportionately good distance squads.....

airwaveslave
03-04-2009, 07:44 PM
SDSU has 3 assistant coaches. They have a jumps coach, sprints/hurdles, throws coach and Dehaven is the head coach/distance coach. They may currently be in the process of hiring a new jumps coach right now as I know their previous coach (who was very good) was done effective January 31...not sure if they've replaced him yet....

zooropa
03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
SDSU has 3 assistant coaches. They have a jumps coach, sprints/hurdles, throws coach and Dehaven is the head coach/distance coach. They may currently be in the process of hiring a new jumps coach right now as I know their previous coach (who was very good) was done effective January 31...not sure if they've replaced him yet....

Don't know if you're counting the grad assistant. I wasn't. Why? Because they're there for two reasons: to file papers and learn stuff.

airwaveslave
03-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Counting the grad assistant would make 4 assistants.

Head coach - Rod DeHaven
Jumps Coach - was Greg Binstock (currently being replaced)
Throws Coach - was Jessica Somerfeld (sp?) - now Ben Baird (sp?)
Sprints/Hurdles - Lyndon McDowell
Grad Assistant - John Franzen (from Luther)

that's 5 coaches counting the GA (1 head coach, 3 assistants and 1 GA)...I take offense to your statement about GA's. They do much more then you would imagine. So...yes, I can count. And you can count on me, waiting for you in the parking lot.

Now, I'm going to stop discussing SDSU track on bisonville.

*added later - after checking gojacks.com, I see that only two assistants are listed in addition to the head coach and GA. They are actively searching for a third assistant and as recent as January 31, they had 3 assistants.

zooropa
03-04-2009, 09:10 PM
*added later - after checking gojacks.com, I see that only two assistants are listed in addition to the head coach and GA. They are actively searching for a third assistant and as recent as January 31, they had 3 assistants.
Exactly. You didn't think I pulled those numbers out of nowhere did you?

At any rate, it's still one less than NDSU, and as to grad assistants--please don't take my remarks out of context (or too seriously).

ILBISON
03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Its official we have a last word craving poster!

see above post

heckler
03-04-2009, 09:25 PM
wait for it... wait for it...

zooropa
03-04-2009, 09:51 PM
How could I -------->>>>POSSIBLY<<<<---------- disappoint you guys???!!

zooropa
03-06-2009, 05:20 AM
I used a lowest common denominator to adjust all sports so that first place finishes were all worth the same(7560). There was multiplication and division and addition all going on. It was ugly.

Know what?

You could just average out the position in the standings.........

Just occurred to me: say some team sponsors only 4 sports, finishes 2nd, 3rd, 1st, and 2nd: Average finish: 2.0

----

Maybe I'll do that and see what turns up....

zooropa
03-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Here's what I get by averaging out final standings:

NDSU: 2.75
Oakland: 3.18
SDSU: 3.30
Oral Bob: 4.33
SUU: 4.38
IUPUI: 4.56
WIU: 5.09
IPFW: 5.50
UMKC: 7.13
Centenary: 7.56

Surprised by where SUU is at so far....

Hammersmith
03-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Know what?

You could just average out the position in the standings.........

Just occurred to me: say some team sponsors only 4 sports, finishes 2nd, 3rd, 1st, and 2nd: Average finish: 2.0

----

Maybe I'll do that and see what turns up....

Effectively, that's kinda what I did on a ten point scale; you just need to subtract the point value from ten(i.e. reverse the scale). The biggest difference between your proposal and what I did is that I corrected for the numbers of teams that competed in a particular sport, keeping the first place value constant rather than the last place. In practice, if all ten schools competed, then a first place finish received 10 points, second place received 9 points, and so on. If five teams competed, then the first place team also received 10 points, but the second place team received 8 points, the third place team received 6, and so on. Things got sticky when trying to work out the sports where seven, eight or nine teams competed. That's when I chose to go with a lowest common denominator to keep everything as whole numbers for as long as possible.

It all fun with numbers and has no real meaning outside these message boards. I don't want anyone to think that I feel my method is better for determining the Commissioner's Cup, because I don't. The way the Summit does it now is the best way. These other stupid number tricks are just a way to see how schools support the teams they have. For a conference cup, schools should be rewarded for sponsoring as many conference sports as possible.

edit: And no big surprise, other than ORU & SUU swapping places(they were very close in both lists), the order is the same in both lists.

zooropa
03-06-2009, 08:20 AM
The biggest difference between your proposal and what I did is that I corrected for the numbers of teams that competed in a particular sport, keeping the first place value constant rather than the last place.
Of course, with my setup the first place value stayed constant as well. It's always worth exactly one point..... :P

Another way of doing it:

n = number of participating schools
x = final position

(n - x ) * (9 / (n-1)) + 1

I -think- this formula gives you a perfect 10 for any 1st place finisher and 1 for any last place finisher.....

The problem is the difference in middle of the road scores. 3rd place in men's swimming and diving (5 participants) is:

(5 - 3 ) * (9 / 4) + 1 = 5.5

3rd place in MBB is:

(10 - 3) * (9 / 9) + 1 = 8

ILBISON
03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Could this thread get moved to the Statistics section please

IzzyFlexion
03-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Could this thread get moved to the Statistics section please

How about moving it to the "Who in the hell has that much time to that much math" thread?

zooropa
03-06-2009, 06:35 PM
How about moving it to the "Who in the hell has that much time to that much math" thread?

Dude. I'm a programmer. I do that stuff standing on my head.

DORMIE
03-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I asked Coach Cuadrado recently on how the Jack's could win the Soccer championship. He said that the Jack's had 10 players that had played together for 4 years. They will graduate, so it might be pretty hard for the Jack's to repeat in Soccer.

IzzyFlexion
03-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Dude. I'm a programmer. I do that stuff standing on my head.

Dude, that's impressive!
And, you save a shizzit-load of money on shoes.

zooropa
03-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Dude, that's impressive!
And, you save a shizzit-load of money on shoes.
Not really---all the money goes for protective headgear:

http://www.amdscooter.com/tinfoil-hat.jpg

The government is trying to steal my ideas !!!!!!!!

zooropa
03-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I asked Coach Cuadrado recently on how the Jack's could win the Soccer championship. He said that the Jack's had 10 players that had played together for 4 years. They will graduate, so it might be pretty hard for the Jack's to repeat in Soccer.I think there's a correlation that can be drawn between the Jacks soccer team and the NDSU MBB team....

Although the Jacks had a better non-conf season than the Bison did (beat the entire state of Iowa and tied nationally ranked Michigan State).....