PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rushmore for NDSU Athletics

Kermit
02-25-2009, 05:26 PM
What 4 people would you like to see on a "Mt. Rushmore" for NDSU Athletics?

Disclaimer: Many of you are more knowledgeable about Bison history than I am, and I'm biased towards those I've seen and towards the higher profile sports. I just want to get the discussion rolling.

Here are my nominees:
Jeff Bentrim
Amy Ruley
Ben Woodside
Phil Hansen

Bentrim represents the glory years of D-II football complete with national championships, the Harlon Hill, Dacotah field, the veer, etc.

Ruley was the dominant figure in an incredible era for Bison women's basketball. She also put women's sports on the map in our community.

Woodside represents the transition to D-I. Best player and leading scorer in school history. Leader of the gang that first slayed some D-I giants.

Hansen represents all of the small-town North Dakota/regional kids who dream of playing for the Herd. National champion, All-American, multiple Super Bowls, NDSU broadcaster.

Your thoughts?

UTH
02-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Also consider Bucky...

wilson
02-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Very solid list, hard to argue with those. You could make a case for a number of others, but who would you take out from these 4?

bisonaudit
02-25-2009, 05:54 PM
God. More Mt. Rushmore stuff.

I bet that about now, Rick Riley is ready to slit his wrists with that zillion dollar pay check he took from ESPN.

What a disaster.

HerdBot
03-01-2009, 07:24 AM
What 4 people would you like to see on a "Mt. Rushmore" for NDSU Athletics?

Disclaimer: Many of you are more knowledgeable about Bison history than I am, and I'm biased towards those I've seen and towards the higher profile sports. I just want to get the discussion rolling.

Here are my nominees:
Jeff Bentrim
Amy Ruley
Ben Woodside
Phil Hansen

Bentrim represents the glory years of D-II football complete with national championships, the Harlon Hill, Dacotah field, the veer, etc.

Ruley was the dominant figure in an incredible era for Bison women's basketball. She also put women's sports on the map in our community.

Woodside represents the transition to D-I. Best player and leading scorer in school history. Leader of the gang that first slayed some D-I giants.

Hansen represents all of the small-town North Dakota/regional kids who dream of playing for the Herd. National champion, All-American, multiple Super Bowls, NDSU broadcaster.

Your thoughts?

Amy Ruley - No brainer. She built one of the biggest dynasties of all time.

Steve Nelson is the most accomplished NFL player. He played 14 years and made 3 Pro Bowls and is in the Patriots Hall Of Fame.

The fooball program is so big and it's tough to credit one single player for the success of 8 National Championships that span 3 decades. You've got a collection of great coaches too from Mudra, Wacker, Erhardt, Morton, Hager, Babich, and Bohl. All of them built the program.

If your going to include Ben Woodside, might as well include Steve Walker.

Good topic!

Thundering Herd
03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo131/Thundering_Herd/MtThunder.jpg
Here's my Mt. Rushmore of Bison athletics: Mt. Thunder! From left to right: Bucky Maughan, Tommy Jefferson, Rocky Hager, and Amy Ruley. Bucky is in the wrestling hall of fame and has coached many teams and individuals to national titles. Rocky I picked, but Morton, Solomonson, Mudra or Erhardt could be there too. They're all coaching legends. Ruley is there for the women's BB dynasty she created. Jefferson is there cause without him and the Louisianna Purchase, we'd be like canadian or something. :confused: No really, it's so hard to pick just 4 people that I said "f*ck it, I give up!" I'd like to include: Roehl, Heckendorf, Winkelman, Woodside, Bentrim, Satter, Hermanson, Simdorn, Hansen, Steve Nelson,... see what I mean? That's a tough one...
GO BISON!!!

onbison09
03-02-2009, 12:12 AM
You might need a Mt. Rushmore just for football.

sambini
03-02-2009, 01:27 AM
You might need a Mt. Rushmore just for football. Who would you put for football?

HerdBot
03-02-2009, 05:47 AM
You might need a Mt. Rushmore just for football.

True. My sig says it all. We have more National Championships than anyone except for D3. We have more than FBS, FCS, and D2. We have more Championships than any team has Superbowls too.

I'd be happy with the banners being displayed under the scoreboard at the dome.

56BISON73
03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Who would you put for football?

Earhardt, Nelson, Bentrim. Those three need no explanation.