PDA

View Full Version : NDSU's Hall of Fame @ Scheels

scheelsguy
02-25-2009, 04:01 AM
We are looking to give the Hall of Fame at the Fargo Scheels store a makeover. Obviously we will continue to remember and observe many of the items in it, but we feel that there are many things that should be added. I'm looking for advice from everyone here at Bisonville as to what YOU would like to see. Are there any artifacts from days past that you would like to see? Do you have something you feel should be enjoyed by thousands of other Bison fans? Any suggestions?

lakesbison
02-25-2009, 04:02 AM
Lambeau Lewey's Cousin's NDSU "soybean meal" jacket!!!

unbison
02-25-2009, 04:04 AM
craig bohls sara palin news conference glasses

coldspot
02-25-2009, 05:45 AM
personally, i think it needs a full makeover. right now, its just something nice to look at while youre waiting in line to pay, its another thing in the store tucked behind the registers next to customer service. it doesnt feel like its supposed to be something thats special and important. it needs the "this needs to be looked at" feel.

BigBison
02-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Marker game
Gopher game
Wisco Win
Marqutte Massacre
Volleyball making the turney
Mens BB making the dance (pleasepleasepleaseplease)
Back to Back 10-1 seasons
Girls Softball won the summit league
Getting into the Summit League
Getting into the Great West
Getting into the MVFC
Woodsides 60

uuuuummmmm thats all I can think of for now

Its cool you guys are updating it, it needs it, ALOT has happened since 2004, of course some of those things had happen by 2004, I dont remember everything that is in there.

I always like seeing newspaper headlines from the times that they happened. IE Forum

met1990
02-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I think all you need is to empty it out and let Lakes live inside of it.

Bison bison
02-25-2009, 06:39 PM
As long as the last piece is a copy of the Forum with a 40 point headline reading:

"Scheels Arena: Money Committed"

bisonaudit
02-25-2009, 07:10 PM
4 giant heads in the side of a crepe paper mountain with a minature McFeely looking up at them through a pair of field glasses.

BisonVifte
02-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Video loop of past highlights.

TbonZach
02-26-2009, 03:19 AM
I've only been there twice (both with the band :hide:) so I'm yet to see what's in there currently.

If there isn't already, I would suggest putting some stuff in there about the GSMB. Especially with all the changes that have happened recently.

56BISON73
02-26-2009, 04:29 AM
Marker game
Gopher game
Wisco Win
Marqutte Massacre
Volleyball making the turney
Mens BB making the dance (pleasepleasepleaseplease)
Back to Back 10-1 seasons
Girls Softball won the summit league
Getting into the Summit League
Getting into the Great West
Getting into the MVFC
Woodsides 60

uuuuummmmm thats all I can think of for now

Its cool you guys are updating it, it needs it, ALOT has happened since 2004, of course some of those things had happen by 2004, I dont remember everything that is in there.

I always like seeing newspaper headlines from the times that they happened. IE Forum

Granted all those are examples of great news-accomplishments. I dont know how it equates with the HOF status.

Hammersmith
02-26-2009, 05:21 AM
It depends a lot on whether Scheels wants a display that will remain static for several years, or whether they plan to rotate elements, say, every three or four months. If it's the first case, then they can't focus too much on the last few years, however great they have been. If they go the rotating route, then they can keep it topical to the season/situation. Toward the end of the football season, they could focus on the eight national championships. During basketball season, they could focus on Timmy's boys or the 90's dynasty under Amy. Late spring could be track & field and softball. An offshoot of this plan could be modular segments so only part of the display would be updated at any given time. That would reduce the amount of time and labor involved and still allow at least one section to be devoted to the overall history of the Bison.

The big question I have for scheelsguy is whether moving or rebuilding the display is an option, or if all that's going to happen is replacing the content of the existing display cases.

bincitysioux
02-26-2009, 05:41 AM
I think all you need is to empty it out and let Lakes live inside of it.

I'm sorry, but that me laugh really hard.........rep to you!

lakesbison
02-26-2009, 05:49 AM
would it be cheaper than my $1000.month mortgage?

NDSUstudent
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Granted all those are examples of great news-accomplishments. I dont know how it equates with the HOF status.

I think the Wisconsin win in basketball, the Gopher win in football, and Woodside's 60 are all HOF worthy. NDSU making the dance for the first time would also qualify.

TransAmBison
02-26-2009, 05:42 PM
I think the Wisconsin win in basketball, the Gopher win in football, and Woodside's 60 are all HOF worthy. NDSU making the dance for the first time would also qualify.
As far as the win over the Gophers, I'd say a certain pic (by Bisonguy) of Roehl outrunning the Gopher defense would go nicely in the case.

scheelsguy
02-27-2009, 02:52 AM
As far as the win over the Gophers, I'd say a certain pic (by Bisonguy) of Roehl outrunning the Gopher defense would go nicely in the case.

And also perhaps a picture of "the catch" vs. Montana would be fitting.....

lakesbison
02-27-2009, 03:13 AM
Amen To That Scheels....!!

Thundering Herd
02-27-2009, 03:31 AM
I've only been there twice (both with the band :hide:) so I'm yet to see what's in there currently.

If there isn't already, I would suggest putting some stuff in there about the GSMB. Especially with all the changes that have happened recently.
I am so sorry, but, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: !!!

Any team or individual with a national title belongs in a HOF display. Extra emphasis on the FB team in the 80's and Ruley and her girls' 'dynasty' in the 90's, success of individuals in NFL- Phil Hansen, Tyrone Braxton, Stacy Robinson, Steve Nelson, etc. Any Olympians from SU should be there. Video of everything would be great!

I think a display should be dedicated to the 'Soldiers of the Transition' (The unsung heroes who played hard even though they'd never play for a conference or national title!) and NDSU's success in the first 5 years in DI.
1. FB team's win in Minnesota/ Tyler Roehl's 263 yards rushing (?),
2. Steve Walker - consecutive 10-1 seasons (missed national title in '07 ???) - the comback wins (Cal Poly, Montana, Sam Houston State),
3. VB team,
4. BB team's wins over Marquette and Wisconsin - playing teams like USC, K State, Florida, Bobby Knight's TT,etc - highlight this years seniors,
5. the emerging dynasty in track and field - Laura Hermanson making semis in 800m at 2008 US Olympic Trials
6. Dahl making pros and getting a super bowl ring
7. Joe Mays, Drago, et al.,... making pros
8. Ben Woodside's 60 points and tying Pete Maravich's NCAA record - Winkelman being named Academic All-American of the year is a big accomplishment IMO.........
9. Win in FB over the Griz!

TbonZach
02-27-2009, 03:57 AM
I am so sorry, but, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: !!!

I'm not talking like a huge section. I mean something as simple as the article about the GSMB that the Forum ran. Maybe along with some info/pictures. That's all.

sambini
02-27-2009, 12:30 PM
And also perhaps a picture of "the catch" vs. Montana would be fitting.....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

56BISON73
02-27-2009, 05:04 PM

Then why not add the Bison victory over Grambling. I consider that a greater victory than MN because Grambling was considered a national power house at the time.

All of what you mention is short term collective memory of events that were certainly note worthy. But HOF is HOF. There is a reason not everone is in it.

mebisonII
02-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Surprised no one's suggested a whiskey bottle yet....:confused: :blush:

:D

NDSUstudent
02-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Then why not add the Bison victory over Grambling. I consider that a greater victory than MN because Grambling was considered a national power house at the time.

All of what you mention is short term collective memory of events that were certainly note worthy. But HOF is HOF. There is a reason not everone is in it.

I think the Grambling game is in the HOF considering NDSU won a national title afterwards. I'll have to take a closer look sometime to be sure.

All of those things I mentioned are long term, none of those are the type of things that will be easy to repeat.

TheDoctor
02-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Walker and his miracle comebacks. ;)

SlickVic
02-27-2009, 11:28 PM
as far as im concerned its not technically a bison hall of fame without a framed autographed picture of PL.

Thundering Herd
02-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Surprised no one's suggested a whiskey bottle yet....:confused: :blush:

:D
I thought Eddy got nailed by a SoCo bottle? By the stories I've heard about that incident, that is mos def noteworthy! ;)

56BISON73
02-28-2009, 12:21 AM
as far as im concerned its not technically a bison hall of fame without a framed autographed picture of PL.

Slick
I appreciate the vote. I doubt my name will ever come up for a vote. Im just greatful that I was given the opportunity to be a Bison. There are many players more worthy. PL

missingnumber7
02-28-2009, 03:00 AM
I think you need a picture of this years senior BBall players, VB team for being the first team to make post season tourney, and the wrestlers who made the tourney first year. And the one thing that no one has mentioned...Mr Chapman and Mr Taylor for the outstanding job they have done leading the institution to D1

56BISON73
02-28-2009, 03:10 AM
The way things are going Scheels is going to have to sponsor a whole new building to put all of this stuff in.:D

coldspot
02-28-2009, 03:15 AM
The way things are going Scheels is going to have to sponsor a whole new building to put all of this stuff in.:D

maybe they could throw a basketball court with a few seats in that new building ;)

VanClubPres
03-02-2009, 12:41 AM
The thing that sucks is that all of the awesome things that the BBall team has done, there are laws that will not allow Scheels to use photos or videos of this years seniors until after they graduate. So that will have to wait for a year or two.

But "the Catch" would be an amazing addition, as well as Roehl rolling over the ground squirels.

In a couple of years, I think that Scheels will have to expand the HOF section because there is going to be a lot of stuff to add.

GOB1SON
03-02-2009, 03:28 AM
I think what PL is trying to say, and I agree 100%. is that you can't simply elect every great memory you have to a hall of fame. Then you just have a hall of great memories.

The hall of fame should be about greatness, exceeding expectations, and sustained excellence over time. Not a play here or a player there that was great from time to time. And team achievements should be measured in winning championships and not just games. Bison athletic teams are supposed to win games.

I think that there should be a small section dedicated to the transition, built mainly around Chapman, Taylor, et al. and their resolve to see it through; with some mention of the wins at Wis and the Goofers, and the VBall team being the first team to dance at the NCAA's. These are nice achievements that helped pacify the doubters and create new value in our athletic program and thus are worthy of mention.

But let's reserve the Bison Athletics Hall of Fame for those truly worthy of Hall of Fame status. Teams that won championships, players that set records, and the coaches that helped these kids become great.

Not just the top ten football plays in the last 5 years.

Just my two cents.

56BISON73
03-02-2009, 03:46 AM
I think what PL is trying to say, and I agree 100%. is that you can't simply elect every great memory you have to a hall of fame. Then you just have a hall of great memories.

The hall of fame should be about greatness, exceeding expectations, and sustained excellence over time. Not a play here or a player there that was great from time to time. And team achievements should be measured in winning championships and not just games. Bison athletic teams are supposed to win games.

I think that there should be a small section dedicated to the transition, built mainly around Chapman, Taylor, et al. and their resolve to see it through; with some mention of the wins at Wis and the Goofers, and the VBall team being the first team to dance at the NCAA's. These are nice achievements that helped pacify the doubters and create new value in our athletic program and thus are worthy of mention.

But let's reserve the Bison Athletics Hall of Fame for those truly worthy of Hall of Fame status. Teams that won championships, players that set records, and the coaches that helped these kids become great.

Not just the top ten football plays in the last 5 years.

Just my two cents.

Well said.

HerdBot
03-02-2009, 05:42 AM
We are looking to give the Hall of Fame at the Fargo Scheels store a makeover. Obviously we will continue to remember and observe many of the items in it, but we feel that there are many things that should be added. I'm looking for advice from everyone here at Bisonville as to what YOU would like to see. Are there any artifacts from days past that you would like to see? Do you have something you feel should be enjoyed by thousands of other Bison fans? Any suggestions?

Old newspaper clippings of the 8 national championships or key moments. I would like to see the Grambling headline. There were a few writeups in SI on womens baskeetball and football. Maybe a list of players in the NFL?

You guys do a better job of displaying banners than the dome does. SPeaking of banners, I saw a cool UND one at scheels. I would LOVE to buy an NDSU banner that shows all the football championships. Although I like the championship shirt, a banner would be prominently displayed in my home.

Keep up the good work!

Bison bison
03-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I say that NDSU sells the net from Sioux Falls to Scheels for $30 million.
;)

IronRanger
03-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I say that NDSU sells the net from Sioux Falls to Scheels for $30 million.
;)

I like it, maybe we should throw in a small advertising sign to