PDA

View Full Version : Savior Quarterbacks are Rare

CaBisonFan
02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I'd like to see an FBS transfer come to SU as badly as anyone. But what I've seen over the years is that a transfer is rarely an immediate 'savior' for a program. Was the guy from Richmond a transfer? Maybe he's an exception. (Maybe someone could disprove my opinion with statistics.)

I'll welcome a transfer like Witt from Nebraska, or Threet from Michigan...don't get me wrong.

IMO...we may be in a situation where we just have to be patient, and hope that we can land one or two strong recruits each year. Looks like we got one this year. I like the comments about Thorton (spelling?) from Bismarck. I hope that we can land him if he's as good as people say. I'd also like to see a couple of 'good' QB recruits landed each year. I'd load up there, with scholly players & walk-ons...and hope that a couple of them surprise everyone with their competitiveness, leadership, and work-ethic.

If an FBS blue-chipper wants to come to NDSU...great...but if not, we have to build. Just as I wondered why others didn't get a chance to play much during the Steve Walker era, I wonder how a coaching staff would 'not' make recruiting at least one blue-chip QB a year a top priority. "helloooooo"

It's mind-boggling. It would appear that lessons have been learned. I have to agree with Neil on this one.

SirHinn
02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
I'd like to see an FBS transfer come to SU as badly as anyone. But what I've seen over the years is that a transfer is rarely an immediate 'savior' for a program. Was the guy from Richmond a transfer? Maybe he's an exception. (Maybe someone could disprove my opinion with statistics.)

I'll welcome a transfer like Witt from Nebraska, or Threet from Michigan...don't get me wrong.

IMO...we may be in a situation where we just have to be patient, and hope that we can land one or two strong recruits each year. Looks like we got one this year. I like the comments about Thorton (spelling?) from Bismarck. I hope that we can land him if he's as good as people say. I'd also like to see a couple of 'good' QB recruits landed each year. I'd load up there, with scholly players & walk-ons...and hope that a couple of them surprise everyone with their competitiveness, leadership, and work-ethic.

If an FBS blue-chipper wants to come to NDSU...great...but if not, we have to build. Just as I wondered why others didn't get a chance to play much during the Steve Walker era, I wonder how a coaching staff would 'not' make recruiting at least one blue-chip QB a year a top priority. "helloooooo"

It's mind-boggling. It would appear that lessons have been learned. I have to agree with Neil on this one.

Would they really be considered FBS blue chippers if they are transferring down?

unbison
02-23-2009, 03:25 PM
are u looking for something intelligent to say on your show today dan "the village idiot" hammer

Kermit
02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Would they really be considered FBS blue chippers if they are transferring down?

Rarely, but there are exceptions. Was Rhett Bomar a blue chipper? Steven Threet is an interesting case. I'm not sure he is a blue chipper, but he did start 8 games for Michigan last year before missing the last 3 with an injury. Not many guys transferring to FCS with that kind of history.

A1pigskin
02-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Bomar was forced out because of corruption. He will probably make a good politcian some day.

westnodak93bison
02-23-2009, 05:54 PM
I hope Bomar lights it up in the NFL. He had good results at the combine so far. How many college fb players did what Bomar did or worse and never got caught. That would be a long interesting list imho. Curious how society will run off a college kid for making a mistake yet professional players, politicians etc. seem to get by with saying they are sorry and all is ok.

56BISON73
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM

YES they would

SirHinn
02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
are u looking for something intelligent to say on your show today dan "the village idiot" hammer

Are you looking to add anything to the conversation or you trying to instigate something? Please stick to the topic at hand, thanks!

unbison
02-23-2009, 09:05 PM
just trying to keep people from listening is all

IzzyFlexion
02-23-2009, 09:09 PM
I apolgize in advance for not having anything intelligent to add to the
Savior Quarterback discussion.
But, I must exercise my childlike humor with this.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Mmw1cupnVmM/SKSOG4RSXAI/AAAAAAAAANY/B-S9yoo9Hz4/s400/jesus-football.jpg
I think the J-Man has a couple years of eligibility left.

CaBisonFan
02-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Good one Izzy. :D

NDSU1980
02-24-2009, 12:49 AM

Hammer is such a und moron, I doubt anyone even listens to him. Maybe one of these days he'll get transfered. How about him doing a cooking show?

CaBisonFan
02-24-2009, 12:57 AM

brilliant................

unbison
02-24-2009, 12:58 AM
not sure he could handle that either.... i still say put him on the 2am to 4am slot.....long live the common man

Bisonguy
02-24-2009, 02:07 AM
I apolgize in advance for not having anything intelligent to add to the
Savior Quarterback discussion.
But, I must exercise my childlike humor with this.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Mmw1cupnVmM/SKSOG4RSXAI/AAAAAAAAANY/B-S9yoo9Hz4/s400/jesus-football.jpg
I think the J-Man has a couple years of eligibility left.

He only could play DII, DIII or NAIA. DI has the five year clock.....

HerdBot
03-01-2009, 06:22 AM

They are rare. Especially in the complicated West Coast system. The best QBs are always developed. I actually have faith in Mertens next year. The difference between a 1st year starter and 2nd year starter is huge. You could see how good he can be during the last game when they let him run. I expect him to have a breakout season. Plus the expectations will be lower.

BisoninNWMN
03-01-2009, 12:27 PM
They are rare. Especially in the complicated West Coast system. The best QBs are always developed. I actually have faith in Mertens next year. The difference between a 1st year starter and 2nd year starter is huge. You could see how good he can be during the last game when they let him run. I expect him to have a breakout season. Plus the expectations will be lower.

Agreed. However, I believe coach Bohl will give Moehler an opportunity to unseat Mertens for the starter.

ILBISON
03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
how come no one talks about this guy qb listed on our roster on gobison

Andrew Fabry

maybe i missed something not sure?

Kermit
03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
how come no one talks about this guy qb listed on our roster on gobison

Andrew Fabry

maybe i missed something not sure?

He is a lower profile walk-on. Most observers don't think he is ready to challenge for playing time.

ILBISON
03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
he transferred from arizona st.?

Kermit
03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
he transferred from arizona st.?

Yes. He was a walk-on there as well. Played high school ball for Green Bay Notre Dame.
Here's a little blurb from Kolpack's blog last summer:
http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=31487

QB Andrew Fabry has fit in nicely, but is still not challenging any of the top 3 QBs.

I haven't heard anything that makes me think that this has substantively changed, yet.

ILBISON
03-02-2009, 09:20 PM
ok..... just had heard nothing about him really thanks for d info