PDA

View Full Version : UNI Dropping Baseball

AKBison
02-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Did anyone else see this? I am a big fan of College Baseball and hate to see Northern schools drop the sport. I wonder if this will have any effect on NDSU recruiting? One would expect that UND will soon drop Baseball and that would leave just NDSU and SDSU as the only mid major squads in about a five state region. I suppose it is all for not though until we can get fully funded in the sport.

jeffdaryl3rd
02-22-2009, 10:51 PM
This is a disappointing development for northern baseball. The one possible upside is that NDSU and SDSU both move up a spot on the list of baseball options for recruits in the area but that is not much consolation in my book. Fortunately I don't think NDSU's program is going anywhere as long as the university has a 1/3 stake in Newman.

coldspot
02-22-2009, 10:58 PM
seems odd that they would drop baseball with so many juco schools in the state (juco baseball in iowa produces a lot of good ball players). that makes only 6 mens teams to 9 womens teams.

roadwarrior
02-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Actually, Newman Outdoor field will become NDSU's property once the City of Fargo is paid back the money it lent for the construction.

AKBison
02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
I have heard that before. Do you know what the status of that is? How long until it is the property of NDSU? I know it is way down the list but I would love to see a dedicated indoor practice facility for Baseball and Softball. Maybe one that could host indoor Softball games as well. I would also love to get the season moved back another two weeks. That would give Northern teams two more weekends of good weather with a National Championship series during the week of July 4th.

roadwarrior
02-23-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't know the timeline, but I think it is basically the rental income from the suites that is paying for the entire stadium (except for the $1.5 million for naming rights). As far as I know, the suites have been fully rented every season. The City of Fargo lent the money interest free too, which is a huge help.

I'm not sure if the Redhawks pay anything to play there, but they are responsible for all maintenance and operational costs of the stadium. In the end it's a great deal for everyone.

imabison
02-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't know the timeline, but I think it is basically the rental income from the suites that is paying for the entire stadium (except for the $1.5 million for naming rights). As far as I know, the suites have been fully rented every season. The City of Fargo lent the money interest free too, which is a huge help.

I'm not sure if the Redhawks pay anything to play there, but they are responsible for all maintenance and operational costs of the stadium. In the end it's a great deal for everyone.
I thought quite a few years ago they added $ .50 a ticket to help NDSU pay for part of their share of Newman Stadium.

Memory is clouded on this..

ndsubison1
02-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks Title IX

roadwarrior
02-24-2009, 02:15 AM
I thought quite a few years ago they added $ .50 a ticket to help NDSU pay for part of their share of Newman Stadium.

Memory is clouded on this..

NDSU's share was only the $1.5 Million from Harold Newman for the naming rights. There is no ticket surcharge to help NDSU.

jeffdaryl3rd
02-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks Title IX

While I think that Title IX has definitely been a positive force on campuses around the country, but it needs to be modified to exclude football from counting against the men's sports numbers because it is the number one money-maker in most athletic departments and there isn't a women's sport that has the kinds of numbers required to balance it.

Blue
05-16-2009, 05:09 AM
The Battle has heated up with threats of a Title IX lawsuit from the baseball supports
http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=24927
supportUNIBASEBALL.com has apparently become a pain in the side according to some of their fans.

2. Plan of Attack.
Subject to collecting sufficient funding, we have engaged a Washington D.C. attorney specializing in college sports cases like ours. He will proceed to send a letter to UNI demanding that the UNI Baseball Program be restored immediately and stating that a lawsuit will be filed fourteen days later if UNI refuses.

Assuming that UNI does not restore the program within the time period set forth in the letter, then plaintiffs with legal standing (including players and perhaps others who have been harmed by UNI’s actions) will file suit. The suit will seek a preliminary injunction. Our legal theory will be based on Title IX (reverse discrimination) and the 14th Amendment (equal protection). Our counsel and several other attorneys who are members of our group believe that we have a good chance of success.

Importantly, if we are successful, then UNI will be forced to restore the Baseball Program and we will not be required to provide any of the funding going forward. A win would save us money and would eliminate the inequity of UNI Baseball paying its way while other UNI athletic programs are not compelled to do so. The cost of litigation is estimated to be less than $60,000 including all costs, expenses, and legal fees.