PDA

View Full Version : Jim Calhoun vs. Reporter

ndsubison1
02-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Anybody catch this? During the post-game press conference a reporter asks Calhoun a question that didnt involve the game... the reporter's an idiot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xokthY5zuPU

Tatanka
02-22-2009, 08:14 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/pwn3d.gif

Go_Herd
02-22-2009, 09:12 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/pwn3d.gif

Couldn't of said it better myself

BigBison
02-23-2009, 12:26 AM
That was AWESOME!

BisoninNWMN
02-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Good for Calhoun!!!

He was remarkably calm for him, during this exchange.

He deserves every penny he gets.

Mr. Burgundy
02-23-2009, 11:51 PM
I love that guy. Now you know why he is an awesome recruiter. Just speaks from the heart. What a stud. Glad that reported is being exposed on talk radio all over the country right now.

BisBison
02-24-2009, 02:19 AM
My favorite quote of the whole deal "are you really that stupid?" Classic.

sambini
02-24-2009, 03:46 AM
Tell it like it is Jim+++

heckler
02-25-2009, 03:55 AM
Gov. M. Jodi of Conn., "Embarassing display."

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9249678/Conn.-govenor-calls-Calhoun's-rant-'embarrassing'

ndsubison1
02-25-2009, 06:25 AM
what a bunch of bull... that reporter deserved everything he got thrown at him. it's none of his buisness what Calhoun makes and what he does with it... if you wanna talk to him about his salary then go find him after the press conference... talk about the fricken game...

Bison bison
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
i just became a uconn fan.

zooropa
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Some of the highest paid state employees are the people that run a state's pension fund. From that standpoint, Calhoun at least administers a program that has a positive ROI. How many investment fund managers can say that? And how many of them still got bonuses last year?

heckler
02-27-2009, 05:04 AM
More fall out...

The leaders of the Connecticut General Assembly's higher education committee say UConn coach Jim Calhoun should be reprimanded for his tirade at a freelance journalist who questioned his $1.6 million salary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3937624

zooropa
02-27-2009, 05:44 AM
More fall out...

That's a crock. Guy runs a profitable program.

I personally think his salary to be a bit more than what anybody who does what he does deserves, but ffffffft, like that makes a difference? That's what you have to pay a guy who wins 800 games at that level.

In the end, if you want to make $12M a year off your basketball program (and I have every confidence Calhoun and his staff have had to crunch those numbers as part of the annual budget process), you got to pay your coach serious money.

Maybe the Connecticut GA would be better off replacing Calhoun with a guy who makes $150k a year, and then they can run the basketball program at a loss. In order to prove a point.

--------

And where the heck is UConn's AD? Why hasn't he come out and said, "Calhoun is an asset. He has given a lot more to this university than this university has given to him".....

If I'm a UConn fan I'd hate to see Calhoun thrown under a bus because of a half credentialed yay-hoo who got arrested for harassing the governor during her inauguration.

NorthernBison
02-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't expect much to come from this. There are some legislators wanting to make some sound bites and they are getting their chance. I have always liked Calhoun and his straight talk even though he sometimes comes off as a prick.

The freelance reporter basically got the reaction he was looking for and it ends up being a mixed bag for coach. I have basically two initial reactions to the whole tirade.

First, I saw the clip on Sportscenter. My 11 year old son and I were watching highlights. He is a huge Bison fan and watches all sports in general. He is no stranger to tough talk and has heard profanity. His reaction to the clip though was interesting. He turned to me and said, "He just told that guy to shut up." It surprised him. At school, it would result in a trip to the office and probably a note sent home.

Second, I am in a professional position. I can pretty much guaranty that in a heated discussion, if I told a coworker, supervisor, or a client to shut up and blew up like that, I'd find out how well unemployment pays. I don't plan to lose my cool like that and hope I never do. I've felt like it a few times.

Having said that, this is the type of behavior we accept from athletes and coaches. We even applaud it. I understand it. I even accept it.

bisonaudit
03-03-2009, 09:35 PM
He really didn't need to blow up on the guy. Coach could have handled it better. That doesn't mean he isn't right though.

The guy was in the room on a photo credential he shouldn't have even been asking questions.

Sounds like Calhoun has been a little disappointed by the lack of support from the athletic administration over this whole deal.

56BISON73
03-04-2009, 01:27 AM
More fall out...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3937624

The journalist should be repremanded for asking inappropriate questions. That was neither the time or place for that type of questions. He was just being a dick. PL

ndsubison1
03-04-2009, 03:27 AM
The journalist should be repremanded for asking inappropriate questions. That was neither the time or place for that type of questions. He was just being a dick. PL

absolutely agree...

cant wait to see the face of the journalist after UConn wins it all for both mens and womens and how much more money will be brought in to not only the school but the state of Connecticut...

Hammersmith
03-04-2009, 03:42 AM

Especially since he had asked Calhoun that question at least once earlier in the press conference, and Calhoun told him politely that he would answer the question and discuss the matter in a more appropriate setting.

mebisonII
03-05-2009, 03:14 PM

The 'journalist' was a freelance activist...no one to reprimand him.

56BISON73
03-06-2009, 01:19 AM
The 'journalist' was a freelance activist...no one to reprimand him.
Send him to my house:D

IzzyFlexion
03-06-2009, 02:23 PM
"Guns don't kill people.......
Deer rifles owned by vengeful Bison fans in Arkansas do!"
Disclaimer: In the event any federal authorities are monitoring this forum, to the best of my knowledge, no member of Bisonville has ever made any mention of harming any rougue reporters (freelance or otherwise). Now, on the other hand, I cannot confirm the absolute safety of any fun-loving, world traveling, bitches hosting, thread feuding, young men that may refer to themselves with a name that contains a description of a body of water. The posting here is merely for comedic entertainment.