PDA

View Full Version : Football in America?

johnson
02-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Could someone tell me the name of the documentary on American Football which had a story on NDSU vs. the school from up north? I think it aired around 1995 after NDSU beat the school from up north in the playoffs. I want to say it was on the USA channel or Fox and was called Football in America or something along those lines. Also does anyone know how to get a copy? I remember watching the documentary and almost falling out of my seat when the story started about the rivalry.

tjbison
02-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Fire and Ice Football in America, is the name i believe, but im sure the fact diggers on here will correct me if i'm wrong:p

cvbison1
02-22-2009, 03:40 PM
i was just a young pup during these days, but i didn't miss a game and Rocky is a legend.

aces1180
02-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Could someone tell me the name of the documentary on American Football which had a story on NDSU vs. the school from up north? I think it aired around 1995 after NDSU beat the school from up north in the playoffs. I want to say it was on the USA channel or Fox and was called Football in America or something along those lines. Also does anyone know how to get a copy? I remember watching the documentary and almost falling out of my seat when the story started about the rivalry.

I think it was on TNT...The show the show on NFL Network sometimes, but I have never seen the Bison-Sioux segment. I have been looking for it online, but with no luck.

tony
02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
It's called "Football America" - it's a documentary with 9 profiles, one of which is on NDSU. The year they filmed it, UND one the first game but, in the playoffs, NDSU scored like 42 unanswered on them - they don't mention the playoff game until the very end of the show.

johnson
02-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks. I can find the book but still no luck on the video. Does anyone know if the book covers NDSU?

Bison_Pride
02-22-2009, 08:16 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/6304140258/ref=asc_df_6304140258724302?ie=UTF8&condition=new&tag=dealt22507-20&creative=380345&creativeASIN=6304140258&linkCode=asm

I think this is it.

MontanaBisonFan
02-23-2009, 02:03 PM
It's called "Football America" - it's a documentary with 9 profiles, one of which is on NDSU. The year they filmed it, UND one the first game but, in the playoffs, NDSU scored like 42 unanswered on them - they don't mention the playoff game until the very end of the show.

What a wonderful game. I was there and sat in the middle of a very obnoxious Sue section. The Sue were ahead 10-0 then the fun started. All the Sue fans around us became quiet and tears were rolling from their eyes.

bisonpride
02-23-2009, 02:08 PM

What an awesome game that was! Feeney and Reggie Scott shredded them! That was a blast to be at!

tony
02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks. I can find the book but still no luck on the video. Does anyone know if the book covers NDSU?

I don't think the book covers NDSU.

Leonardite
02-23-2009, 02:55 PM
What an awesome game that was! Feeney and Reggie Scott shredded them! That was a blast to be at!

The veer at its finest.

Bison15
02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I know I own this video on VHS. now I just need to find it. Besides the NDSU bit in the video, the rest of the profiles are interesting as well. My favorites besides NDSU are 6-man football in texas & playing on gravel & mud in Juneau AK with a team that has to raise thousands of dollars to fly to all their away games. I can't believe I remember all this stuff, it's been over ten+ years since I have watched the program. if you can find it, buy it. Its a great documentary.

A1pigskin
02-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Sounds like an interesting video. 6 man football, wow. I played 9 man and I thought that was small. However, at least it was offered.

johnson
02-23-2009, 06:45 PM
I remember the Juneau boys. They had to walk the field after every practice to look for sharp rocks and other foreign objects that made it to the playing surface. It seemed like the field was clay. I can't remember clearly though. Those kids were dedicated. I guess I'll just have to buy the VHS tape and convert it to DVD. I think I might call TNT and ask if there are any other options.

Bison15
02-23-2009, 06:53 PM
I remember the Juneau boys. They had to walk the field after every practice to look for sharp rocks and other foreign objects that made it to the playing surface. It seemed like the field was clay. I can't remember clearly though.

If I remember correctly, I think the were playing on a glacier. Those kids were some tough SOB's

Bison_Pride
02-24-2009, 05:26 AM
Speaking of Alaska. I saw a story on the news last fall about these from Barrow Alaska. They have guys with guns posted near the field to guard against Polar bears coming on the field. They have a brand new artificial turf field, it looks pretty sweet, right next to the Arctic Ocean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UWEKRgilEc&feature=related

SDbison
02-24-2009, 06:24 PM
I know I own this video on VHS. now I just need to find it. Besides the NDSU bit in the video, the rest of the profiles are interesting as well. My favorites besides NDSU are 6-man football in texas & playing on gravel & mud in Juneau AK with a team that has to raise thousands of dollars to fly to all their away games. I can't believe I remember all this stuff, it's been over ten+ years since I have watched the program. if you can find it, buy it. Its a great documentary.
I had the video on VHS but left it in the office at the bar where I sponsored the NDSU - UND satellite game. Went back later to find it and it was gone. Great story about the NDSU - UND rivalry. They had a video clip at the location in Phoenix where I used to attend the satellite game.
In addition, I think there was a story about a 70 year old lineman that was still playing in a semi pro league. Wow!

johnson
02-25-2009, 12:16 AM
I see someone beat me to the cheapest new copy of the VHS tape on amazon. I had to settle for a used one with the similar price. Hope I don't get burned. I can't wait to watch it again. I have only watched it when it was aired on TNT back in the day. I don't know what made me think of that documentary, but I have been puzzled on what it was called for awhile.
I have a brother that has converted a lot of our old home video from VHS to DVD. I think I might have to give him a call. Thanks again for the help!

tjbison
02-25-2009, 12:42 AM
I see someone beat me to the cheapest new copy of the VHS tape on amazon. I had to settle for a used one with the similar price. Hope I don't get burned. I can't wait to watch it again. I have only watched it when it was aired on TNT back in the day. I don't know what made me think of that documentary, but I have been puzzled on what it was called for awhile.
I have a brother that has converted a lot of our old home video from VHS to DVD. I think I might have to give him a call. Thanks again for the help!

I was going to buy it but I don't have a VHS player anymore, so the tape is pretty worthless to me. Can't believe somebody hasn't got that produced on DVD yet.

johnson
02-25-2009, 12:47 AM
I was going to buy it but I don't have a VHS player anymore, so the tape is pretty worthless to me. Can't believe somebody hasn't got that produced on DVD yet.

Something could be arranged. It's pretty easy to convert it over.

Twentysix
02-25-2009, 06:49 AM
Speaking of Alaska. I saw a story on the news last fall about these from Barrow Alaska. They have guys with guns posted near the field to guard against Polar bears coming on the field. They have a brand new artificial turf field, it looks pretty sweet, right next to the Arctic Ocean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UWEKRgilEc&feature=related

I call shinanigeans. http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxclimatology/compare/USND0115?sfld1=Fargo,%20ND&sfld2=Barrow,%20AK&clocid1=USND0115&clocid2=

56BISON73
02-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Whats the Name or title of the VHS that has the Bison-UND special??? Wasnt there alot of other stuff in that program as well??

SDbison
02-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Whats the Name or title of the VHS that has the Bison-UND special??? Wasnt there alot of other stuff in that program as well??
They also had the 70 year old lineman (may have been 66 I don't remember) who was playing for a semi pro team in California. Also a story on a youth football team in addition to others mentioned in this thread.

johnson
02-26-2009, 04:47 PM

Football America. There is a link posted earlier in the thread to amazon.com.

56BISON73
02-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Football America. There is a link posted earlier in the thread to amazon.com.

Thanks!!!!!!!