PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Naming Convention

Herd
02-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Admin, could this but put into a Poll? I'm interested to know what the majority think

What's the perferred naming convention nationally for our university when it scrolls across the ESPN Ticker?

ND State
N Dakota St
NDSU
the North Dakota State University

What do you want to see used on Away Basketball Jerseys for Men and Women?

NDSU
ND State
Bison
State (yuk)

Has the university officially declared their preferred naming conventions?

tony
02-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Personally, I prefer NDSU for both - build the brand. It's regional now but it's time to take it national! :)

http://www.google.com/trends?q=NDSU%2C+%22North+Dakota+State%22%2C+%22No rth+Dakota+State+University%22

I look at that Google Trends deal and it appears that the label "NDSU" is gaining ground and has been more popular than "North Dakota State" as a search term for at least a year. BTW, take a look at that HUGE spike in searches on "NDSU" in 2007 after the Gopher game.

lakesbison
02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
NDSU!

I hate when ESPN puts ND State

BisonAccountant44
02-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I agree with Tony. I'm a big proponent for NDSU.

The problem with it though though is that most people outside of the region have no idea what you're talking about if you say NDSU, heck they barely figure out what ND State is half the time.

Hasn't ESPN used NDak St. on the ticker too?

sambini
02-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Ndsu+++++++++

roadwarrior
02-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I have only seen ND STATE on ESPN. Its much better than S DAK ST or whatever they use for SDSU. I would prefer to see NDSU used but most of the country understands ND STATE better. Bottom line I guess I dont mind the ND STATE at all.

99Bison
02-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I have only seen ND STATE on ESPN. Its much better than S DAK ST or whatever they use for SDSU. I would prefer to see NDSU used but most of the country understands ND STATE better. Bottom line I guess I dont mind the ND STATE at all.

Agreed.... I've seen SD State also, and if they kept that with ND State, the relation would be nice for people to understand.

Civil06
02-20-2009, 04:30 PM
I prefer NDSU but I could live with ND State. We're just lucky there isn't another NDSU, unlike SDSU being used for San Diego State University.

tcbison
02-20-2009, 04:33 PM
I like ND State because people at the national level know who that refers to. People can figure out ND stands for North Dakota. Plus you have NC State and K State as other examples.

BisonAccountant44
02-20-2009, 04:40 PM
I like ND State because people at the national level know who that refers to. People can figure out ND stands for North Dakota. Plus you have NC State and K State as other examples.

I think those types of naming conventions are what's going to make us keep ND State for quite a while nationally.

"NDSU" is not only an unknown to most of the nation, but it's a naming convention that isn't used anywhere else so it's not something a lot of people are even going to decipher by looking at it. I mean how often have you ever seen NCSU, KSSU, FLSU, PASU, MISU, or OHSU used to describe those schools?

IzzyFlexion
02-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I think those types of naming conventions are what's going to make us keep ND State for quite a while nationally.

"NDSU" is not only an unknown to most of the nation, but it's a naming convention that isn't used anywhere else so it's not something a lot of people are even going to decipher by looking at it. I mean how often have you ever seen NCSU, KSSU, FLSU, PASU, MISU, or OHSU used to describe those schools?

Anything would be better than what schools have to deal with in terms of an identity.
IUPUIPSIPLU!

tony
02-20-2009, 06:14 PM

You are probably right on many counts, but you present a false argument by putting the postal abbreviation before the "SU." It's not KSSU, it's KSU - likewise, it's FSU, PSU, MSU, and OSU - what makes NDSU different is that there are no other NDSU's while there are plenty of PSU's, MSU's, GSU's, ASU's, OSU's, etc.

Abbreviations can work - it's USC not SoCal and UCLA not Cal-LA. If we get stuck with NoDak State or ND State, that just doesn't work at well. Try doing a search on "ND State", for example - you get nothing.

The lack of recognition for the brand "NDSU" is a problem but "ND State" is not the solution - more publicity is. And for branding purposes, NDSU is superior to the alternatives, I think. If "NDSU" is too cryptic, well, heck, the marketing campaign practically writes itself: "What does NDSU stand for?".

aces1180
02-20-2009, 06:37 PM
You are probably right on many counts, but you present a false argument by putting the postal abbreviation before the "SU." It's not KSSU, it's KSU - likewise, it's FSU, PSU, MSU, and OSU - what makes NDSU different is that there are no other NDSU's while there are plenty of PSU's, MSU's, GSU's, ASU's, OSU's, etc.

Abbreviations can work - it's USC not SoCal and UCLA not Cal-LA. If we get stuck with NoDak State or ND State, that just doesn't work at well. Try doing a search on "ND State", for example - you get nothing.

The lack of recognition for the brand "NDSU" is a problem but "ND State" is not the solution - more publicity is. And for branding purposes, NDSU is superior to the alternatives, I think. If "NDSU" is too cryptic, well, heck, the marketing campaign practically writes itself: "What does NDSU stand for?".

I like that idea...Considering that there is not another NDSU, we should take advantage of that.

I feel bad for South Dakota State in this context, as they share "SDSU" with San Diego State, who will always get that billing. Just seems SD State is what the ESPNs and such always list them as on their ticker.

BisonAccountant44
02-20-2009, 07:08 PM

Touche Salesman...... I too have an uncle.

JSUBison
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
How are UND and USD displayed? I think I've seen N.DAK in the past for UND during hockey season, but I don't really watch espn anymore.

roadwarrior
02-20-2009, 08:01 PM
N Dakota and S Dakota I think.

Herd
02-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I much prefer . . . ND State.

ND is a formal state abraviation, and there is immediate recognition. I think we should promote ND State, not NDSU.

What do you think when you see FAMU? I know that its Florida A&M, but it could just as well be a SHAMU and be a college as Disneyworld, it doesn't register.

Yeah, its the same when the nation sees NDSU. Nothing registers.

Herd
02-20-2009, 08:07 PM

What I have typically seen of the 4 Dakotas:

ND State
S Dakota St (have to Spell out Dakota for this one, SD State doesn't work, SDSU doesn't work)
North Dakota (UND doesn't work, ND doesn't work)
South Dakota (USD doesn't work, SD doesn't work)

w/
ND (for Notre Dame)
SDSU (for San Diego State)

UND's and USD's identity crisis is as bad and SDSU's. Notre Dame/San Diego is assumed if you don't spell it out. UND will never be used on an ESPN ticker in referrence to North Dakota.

tcbison
02-21-2009, 06:57 PM

ND State does pull some results. Mostly stories from gobison.com. Tony, I think it goes both ways. The reason NDSU pulls so many results is because the local media uses it that way. If the local media used ND State it would be a different story. It would be nice if both local and national media used the same name.

Gully
02-22-2009, 02:50 AM

My sentiments exactly. I don't mind ND STATE but I'd prefer NDSU. S DAK ST just looks silly.

filbert
02-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Down in Brookings, we'd KILL to be listed by ESPN as SD State.

I have no idea where the illiterates at ESPN came up with "S Dakta St" but it's not only ugly but utterly, well, illiterate.

What the hell is a Dakta, anyway? Even "S Dak St" would make more sense.

Just more proof that the people at ESPN are dolts.

Gully
02-22-2009, 02:54 AM

That's because those states have only one word in their name, North Dakota obviously has two. San Diego State uses SDSU, why can't we use NDSU?

wilson
02-22-2009, 06:23 AM
In time, it really has to be NDSU. ND State for the time being is fine. The worst abbreviation I've seen (not on ESPN, but other outlets) is NDS.

NDSU1980
02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
The worst abbreviation I've seen (not on ESPN, but other outlets) is NDS.

I was just going to post about the NDS abbreviation and you beat me to it. The basketball game at Wisconsin-Milwaukee used NDS on the video broadcast and I just hated it. I know at one time the Aberdeen SD paper used to call us NDS and South Dakota State was SDS. Maybe they need to talk to Vanna and buy a vowel?

Leonardite
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM

They actually got listed as "Grand Fork" one time during the football season!

Tatanka
02-23-2009, 03:02 PM
They actually got listed as "Grand Fork" one time during the football season!

I thought the Royal Fork closed down a few months ago.

Oh, Grand Fork. got it. :D

tony
02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Believe me, there are a LOT of abbreviations out there for NDSU - I've come across ten different ways of referring to NDSU when trying to gather scores and stuff from other websites. It's a pain.

Three reasons NDSU is superior to the other "short names" for North Dakota:

1. It's unique. None of the other labels are. For example, they could be part of the names for "North Dakota State Fair", "North Dakota State College of Science", etc. Uniqueness is critical now because of web searches and stuff.
2. It's short. Only NDS is shorter and that one obviously sucks.
3. It's already regionally recognized. I see it on Wisconsin boards quite a bit and even have seen it on Illinois ones.

Sure, some people might not be able to puzzle out what it stands for but, like I said before, that's not a problem with the abbreviation that's a problem of exposure (and frankly, anybody who remembers 8th grade should be able to figure it out). A good way to combat that lack of exposure is for ESPN et al to start scrolling NDSU. We are darn lucky to have a unique abbreviation and should capitalize on that good fortune.

There are only three ways I want to see news agencies refer to my alma mater: "North Dakota State University", "North Dakota State", and "NDSU".
For academic articles, it's almost always spelled all the way and for sports articles, it's almost always "North Dakota State". NDSU is only good for when you need something really short.

And, yes, arguing stupid stuff like this to the point of exhaustion and despair is considered a sport in my family - sometimes a contact sport. :)