PDA

View Full Version : Need help on finding new computer.

Rockbear99
02-19-2009, 03:10 AM
Well with all the talk on cars and matress buying I thought I could use some input on computers. We just got our refund back and after paying off some bills we are going to get a new computer. Our current one is a slow bastard. 256MB. So any thing will be an upgrade. We have about $700 - $800 total to spend. In a perfect world we would like to get 2 laptops and go wireless in the apartment. The problem is that I know just about enough about computer to be dagerous to myself or the Puter. I have been on the Dell site and just cant decide what to do. The only things we use the Puter for is to surf the net and use ITunes. I do watch a lot of vidoes on the Net. (no smart ass comments) Hulu, Fancast, YouTube and such. I hope I am not asking too much but I am starting to get frustrated. That is just alot of money to spend and I dont want to screw it up and go cheap and do have a glorified paper weight.

scheelsguy
02-19-2009, 03:14 AM
Scheelsguy is also a computer geek: I would say that you shouldn't spend to much on the computer(s). Almost anything that you purchase will be many times better than what you have. Dell and HP's have treated me well. Don't worry about the processor as much as the the amount of memory it has....

CarringtonBison
02-19-2009, 04:22 AM
lakes has two computers for sale...laptops i think-just need a wipedown

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15313

duluthbison
02-19-2009, 04:52 AM
hmm well I work for ITS on campus so maybe I could be of some help. I was just taking a quick look through best buy's website and found an hp laptop with 3gb of ram and a core two duo processor and 250 gb of memory http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9197193&type=product&id=1218056225739 this one runs about 400 bucks so for two would be just above your price range. I would recommend against dells only because I have had to deal with their customer service first hand and it sucked and the quality of their new products has been slowly going down the tubes since they had that pot smoking ad rep on tv...(dude you remember who :P)

But if you don't like what you see, here are some things to look out for when looking for a new computer:

It will have vista (xp has been discontinued, and don't listen to some people because vista isn't really all that bad. I have been running it for 2 years with minimal problems but that may be due to the fact that I work for NDSU ITS)
You will need at least 2gb of ram to run vista well
DVD-RW/CD-RW drive
Built in wireless capabilities (802.11b)
Built in ethernet ports 10/100 base (yes sounds like an obvious thing but as far as I know, the new mac air books do not have these)
Hard drive larger than 100GB
I would also recommend an Intel core duo processor over anything AMD makes because they are better on battery and they do not get as warm

Hope that helps with your decision

lakesbison
02-19-2009, 05:13 AM
PM ME!!!

ill help ya out!!

lets stimulate LAKES' economy. I gotta goto milwaukee, florida, sioux falls..

56BISON73
02-19-2009, 01:46 PM
hmm well I work for ITS on campus so maybe I could be of some help. I was just taking a quick look through best buy's website and found an hp laptop with 3gb of ram and a core two duo processor and 250 gb of memory http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9197193&type=product&id=1218056225739 this one runs about 400 bucks so for two would be just above your price range. I would recommend against dells only because I have had to deal with their customer service first hand and it sucked and the quality of their new products has been slowly going down the tubes since they had that pot smoking ad rep on tv...(dude you remember who :P)

But if you don't like what you see, here are some things to look out for when looking for a new computer:

It will have vista (xp has been discontinued, and don't listen to some people because vista isn't really all that bad. I have been running it for 2 years with minimal problems but that may be due to the fact that I work for NDSU ITS)
You will need at least 2gb of ram to run vista well
DVD-RW/CD-RW drive
Built in wireless capabilities (802.11b)
Built in ethernet ports 10/100 base (yes sounds like an obvious thing but as far as I know, the new mac air books do not have these)
Hard drive larger than 100GB
I would also recommend an Intel core duo processor over anything AMD makes because they are better on battery and they do not get as warm

Hope that helps with your decision

Any suggestions on a desk top. I think ist time I retired my Gateway 650. Its still not bad but its slowing down. 20 GB hard drive. 254 RAM LOL

ps Do you know Paul Babaracki (sp?) hes from Evelyth

BisonBabe
02-19-2009, 04:27 PM
If you have a Sam's Club membership you can get some great deals on laptops there. We picked up both our current desktop and laptop from them and have been very pleased. Both are HP Media Centers with plenty of memory. Now granted my price range was a bit higher than yours but I financed them through work and had them paid off interest free in 1 year.

ThunderDan
02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
I have owned 3 HP's in the last 7 years and had nothing but problems with them....crashing, viruses, and whatnot....I bought a nice dell at BestBuy last summer and have not had a single problem. Works like a charm. Granted, it was a bit more top of the line as it costs a little over a grand. But anyway, just saying that I have had trouble with cheaper HP models.

BisonBabe
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I have owned 3 HP's in the last 7 years and had nothing but problems with them....crashing, viruses, and whatnot....I bought a nice dell at BestBuy last summer and have not had a single problem. Works like a charm. Granted, it was a bit more top of the line as it costs a little over a grand. But anyway, just saying that I have had trouble with cheaper HP models.

Thats why I did not buy cheep models. Both were over $1000 but they are worth every penny to not have the constant trouble that I had with our first low end desktop.

As with most things quality is important.

bisonmike2
02-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Not sure if you still looking but I've had good luck with refurbs. 2 of my last 3 have been refurbs. I have a Dell laptop refurb and an Apple Macbook and have no problems with either. They often have the same warranty of the new ones for hundreds of dollars less. The only problem is that they aren't customizable so your stuck with the configuration they are sold in which kind of sucks if your looking for a specific hard drive size or processor.

tony
02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Got this in an email today:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?config_data=&c=us&cs=19&fb=1&l=en&oc=DNDEPA4&s=dhs&dgc=EM&cid=40787&lid=1050148&acd=DBNY4S-YGZSI-VANP97-0TSLQ-9DNEX-v1

Dual Core, 15.4" display, 3 GB RAM, and 250 GB hard drive for $499 - seems like a pretty decent deal but I'm no expert - I buy desktop replacements.

Edit: Wow! I just read through the thread and that HP from Best Buy seems like a really good deal! It's $100 cheaper for basically the same setup.

duluthbison
02-23-2009, 07:11 PM
ps Do you know Paul Babaracki (sp?) hes from Eveleth ....there fixed it for ya;)

No I don't know him but he may be a Virginia boy

56BISON73
02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
No I don't know him but he may be a Virginia boy

You are correct he is from Virginia. PL

KC Bison
04-18-2010, 01:57 AM
If you get a laptop that is with at least a 15 inch screen, it should have the number pad on the right side which is very handy. I have had a number of HP's with no troubles with them.

mebisonII
04-18-2010, 03:57 AM
If you get a laptop that is with at least a 15 inch screen, it should have the number pad on the right side which is very handy. I have had a number of HP's with no troubles with them.

By now, the new computer Rockbear was buying when he started the thread is probably worn out already. :p

TbonZach
04-18-2010, 04:29 AM
By now, the new computer Rockbear was buying when he started the thread is probably worn out already. :p

He probably has a handy dandy paper weight. :)

Rockbear99
04-19-2010, 05:42 PM
nope still up and running

Twentysix
04-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Anytime you buy something computer related always reference http://www.newegg.com/
It generally beats Best Buy employee prices.

EndZoneQB
04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Anytime you buy something computer related always reference http://www.newegg.com/
It generally beats Best Buy employee prices.

www.pricewatch.com Just be smart about what you're buying.

mebisonII
04-20-2010, 03:28 PM
http://slickdeals.net/ is another good site to make you realize how much stuff is out there that you don't own, but should!

P.S. Go visit this site today if you are in the mood for a DQ blizzard...buy one get $0.25.

onbison09
04-20-2010, 06:16 PM
A MAC. :hide: :D

aces1180
04-20-2010, 06:26 PM
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Made the switch in November and will never go back to a PC.

Tatanka
04-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Why? Doesn't your door stay open by itself? Didn't the anchor come with the boat?

TbonZach
04-20-2010, 07:19 PM

A friend of mine with a Mac always tells people that they are crash-proof.

The first (and last) time that I was on a Mac I crashed it in about 30 seconds. I don't know what I did, but down it went.*

*there's a good out of context

onbison09
04-20-2010, 08:42 PM
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Made the switch in November and will never go back to a PC.

Yep me as well. Now I wonder why I ever used a PC.

Bison bison
04-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Macs are for attention-craving p#ssies.

You want to crunch real numbers, use real software, drop your laptop in a pile of cowshit and drive over it with a bulldozer, Apple doesnt' even pretend to enter that market.

99Bison
04-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Eh, your phone is all you need... or maybe you don't even need that.

Bison bison
04-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Freakin' hippie.

aces1180
04-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Macs are for attention-craving p#ssies.

You want to crunch real numbers, use real software, drop your laptop in a pile of cowshit and drive over it with a bulldozer, Apple doesnt' even pretend to enter that market.

And the majority of your posts make you a dick. What's your point?

Bison bison
04-20-2010, 09:26 PM
What's your point?

Enjoy your overpriced browser. (also work on your sense of humor, i used the terms pile of cowshit and bulldozer in the same sentence.)

aces1180
04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Enjoy your overpriced browser. (also work on your sense of humor, i used the terms pile of cowshit and bulldozer in the same sentence.)

My sense of humor is fine...I haven't forgotten the comment you made about Mass Communication not being a real major...It seems what you try to pass of as humor is basically insulting people and calling them names.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213884&postcount=1

Bisonguy
04-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Let's try to keep this discussion civil. :ranting:

That said, I switched to Mac and have since switched back to the PC world. They both have their pros and cons, but the performance, price, software availability, and upgrade capability of a PC offsets the pros of a Mac. I considered building a Hackintosh, but had too many not-so-fond memories of the spinning beachball to go ahead with it.

tony
04-20-2010, 11:09 PM
This site does strongly discourage discussions that turn political or religious. I wonder now, do we have to add Mac-related discussions to the list? Or is the Cult of Mac already a religion? :)

BTW, love the avatar, Bisonguy. I wish they'd remake that movie.

56BISON73
04-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Ive been looking for a new pc as my Gateway 600 just cant keep up with web cast and streaming video. Other than that it works fine.
So Ive been looking at Dell but dont know which one I should pull the trigger on.

Bison bison
04-20-2010, 11:24 PM
My sense of humor is fine...I haven't forgotten the comment you made about Mass Communication not being a real major...It seems what you try to pass of as humor is basically insulting people and calling them names.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213884&postcount=1

wow.

hold grudge's often?

jokes about communication majors are so often repeated they are cliche, but you keep one made by me over a year and a half ago to heart.

and don't coin it as a comment, it was obviously intended as a joke. if you want to be all offended by it fine, but you're going to hear it again for the rest of your life. just as ag majors are going to get jokes about pitching manure and engineers for being nerds and pl for his sausage.

Hammersmith
04-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Ive been looking for a new pc as my Gateway 600 just cant keep up with web cast and streaming video. Other than that it works fine.
So Ive been looking at Dell but dont know which one I should pull the trigger on.

Is your Gateway 600 a desktop or a laptop, and which type are you looking for as a replacement?

Honestly, I doubt you can make a bad choice. Virtually any computer built today will do what you need it to with the exception of those cursed netbooks. Just be sure to get at least 2GB of RAM, and preferably 4GB(anything more is costly overkill). I just helped a friend pick out a Core i3 Studio 17* from Dell, and he and his wife should be getting it in a week or two.

*Actually, I was pushing for a Studio or Inspiron 14, but she was adamant about the larger screen. I always say to go with the small form-factor and a big external monitor with keyboard and mouse, but no one ever listens to me. :smh: :smh: ;)

tony
04-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Honestly, I doubt you can make a bad choice. Virtually any computer built today will do what you need it to with the exception of those cursed netbooks.

Quoted for agreement. The only thing I got concerned about reading 56's post was that it seems what he says he is having trouble with webcasts and streaming video. What kind of internet connection do you have there, 56Bison73?

Hammersmith
04-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Quoted for agreement. The only thing I got concerned about reading 56's post was that it seems what he says he is having trouble with webcasts and streaming video. What kind of internet connection do you have there, 56Bison73?

I did a quick check on Gateway's website to see what kind of sausage he's packing(sorry, couldn't resist). If it's a laptop, it was probably built around 2003, features a P4 or P4-era Celeron, and between 256-512MB of DDR RAM. That kind of rig could have problems with streaming video(mainly because of the small amount of RAM).

aces1180
04-21-2010, 12:20 AM
wow.

hold grudge's often?

jokes about communication majors are so often repeated they are cliche, but you keep one made by me over a year and a half ago to heart.

and don't coin it as a comment, it was obviously intended as a joke. if you want to be all offended by it fine, but you're going to hear it again for the rest of your life. just as ag majors are going to get jokes about pitching manure and engineers for being nerds and pl for his sausage.

Actually, I've never heard anyone disparage my major or profession, whereas most people are pretty impressed with my skills and education. I guess I don't get out much. That being said, I'm proud of my NDSU degrees and the jobs they have helped me attain. I didn't think your comments were funny and took them to heart. Good day.

Back to the topic at hand...I've had nothing but bad luck with PCs, starting with my Compaq desktop and recently my Toshiba and Dell laptops. I have the 13' MacBook Pro and love it...Never a problem with crashing and its super fast...Plus, viruses and spyware are almost non-existent. Yeah, they are a bit spendy, but so is buying a Lexus instead of a Toyota. ;)

56BISON73
04-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Is your Gateway 600 a desktop or a laptop, and which type are you looking for as a replacement?

Honestly, I doubt you can make a bad choice. Virtually any computer built today will do what you need it to with the exception of those cursed netbooks. Just be sure to get at least 2GB of RAM, and preferably 4GB(anything more is costly overkill). I just helped a friend pick out a Core i3 Studio 17* from Dell, and he and his wife should be getting it in a week or two.

*Actually, I was pushing for a Studio or Inspiron 14, but she was adamant about the larger screen. I always say to go with the small form-factor and a big external monitor with keyboard and mouse, but no one ever listens to me. :smh: :smh: ;)

Its a desk top That I bought in 99. 128 Ram I added two addition chip-boards from crucial for more ram? so Iam maxed out at 384MB.. My internet connection is 3rd tier so its up to 1.5mil?
So I am looking for something with 4 wheel drive and a lage monitor. Ive got about a grand to spend but dont want to if I dont have to.:D

I was looking at the Dell XSP? i7 dual core processor etc etc etc. But have no freaking idea what all of that means.

aces1180
04-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Its a desk top That I bought in 99. I added two addition chip-boards from crucial for more ram? so Iam maxed out. My internet connection is 3rd tier so its up to 1.5mil?
So I am looking for something with 4 wheel drive and a lage monitor. Ive got about a grand to spend but dont want to if I dont have to.:D

I was looking at the XSP? i7 dual core etc etc etc. But have no freaking idea what all of that means.

i7 dual core is fast! They have them in the MacBook Pro ;)

Bisonguy
04-21-2010, 01:06 AM
This site does strongly discourage discussions that turn political or religious. I wonder now, do we have to add Mac-related discussions to the list? Or is the Cult of Mac already a religion? :)

BTW, love the avatar, Bisonguy. I wish they'd remake that movie.

I'm still waiting for the sequel. :hide:

56- you'd be well served with neary any sort of upgrade, especially if you're willing to spend up to $1000. I'm usually proud if I can squeak five years of life out of a PC before it's outdated. How the heck you managed for over a decade is beyond me.

Hammersmith
04-21-2010, 01:12 AM
Its a desk top That I bought in 99. 128 Ram I added two addition chip-boards from crucial for more ram? so Iam maxed out at 384MB.. My internet connection is 3rd tier so its up to 1.5mil?

I was looking at the Dell XSP? i7 dual core processor etc etc etc. But have no freaking idea what all of that means.

Quick primer.

Intel is currently making 3 mainstream processor families: The i3, i5 & i7 (think I4, V6 & V8). Each of the families includes 2-5 choices(like choosing a 305, 350 or 454 V8). In general, the i5 is probably the best bang for the buck, but there really isn't anything wrong with the i3 if you just plan to websurf, email, and work on the occasional document or spreadsheet. Unless I was planning on playing a fair amount of video games or doing a lot of photo and video editing, I'd start with the i3.

As for the dual core stuff, most processors today are actually multiple processors under the same hood. Think of it like having two(or four/six/eight) engines in your car instead of just one. Dual core = 2; Quad core = 4. You'll only need a dual, so don't worry about anything else.

Dell has four basic lines of desktop computers. Inspirons are the entry level machines(Chevy), Studios are one step up(Buick), Studio XPS are for power users(Caddy), and Alienware are for people with too much money who want bragging rights(Corvette). Just like there are people who buy honking-big SUVs when the closest they get to off-road is the local soccer field, there are also a ton of people who throw money at computers for speed they'll never use. If a Chevy does eveything you need, why waste money on the Caddy(okay, the analogy starts to break down there, but you get the point).

If you've gotten by until now with a 10-year old computer and your biggest problem is watching webstreams, then my first guess would be something like the Inspiron 580s with the big monitor. You can get it for $780 with a 23" monitor(if you need anything bigger than that, get new glasses). If you want to splurge a tiny bit more, get the upgraded graphics for another $40. The 4GB of RAM will do you fine, and I doubt you would need anything more than the 640GB hard drive it comes with. Throw on MS Office Home & Student if you need it($120) and you'll be all set.

Of course, there are as many opinions as there are tech "gurus", so get some other advice from around here and from others you know.

EndZoneQB
04-21-2010, 02:29 AM

It became overpriced the second they switched to Intel hardware. No longer is it the PowerPC performance you were paying for, but the software. MacOSX is able to be installed on any newer windows based PC, essentially rendering the need to buy a "real" Mac. The OS is good because it's based on the Unix kernel that has been proven for years to be stable and powerful. I appreciate MacOS, but going to Intel hardware was the DUMBEST thing they could have done. They are a little more mainstream these days, but its more of a "wannabe" type of thing rather than actual performance differences.

Either way, if anyone here is looking for computer/network advice, feel free to PM me. I work in IT, and would be glad to assist/consult anyone. I don't want to write up a bunch on here, as it's easy to overlook :). Plus, not everyone needs a new computer(PL perhaps??) either, so I can help with all budgets.

Twentysix
04-21-2010, 02:44 AM
So You can take this with a grain of salt if you want cause i work for geeksquad but my advice would be as follows:

If you are not doing anything graphicly intensive (ie hollywood style movie editing, playing the newest games and constantly moving to the newer game)

You would be better off buying a computer that is less than a 1000 dollars.

Whether you get a great one or a not so powerful computer the life expectancy doesnt change much its 2 years and change to 3 years. Thats why all warantys sold by best buy only go up to 3 years.

If you are a getting a desktop stay around 600-800 for the tower. The rest of the crap keyboard monitor etc, dont add that into your value price as that can all transfer from one computer to the next with no ramifcations brands dont matter.

Understand this, If you are to buy a dell you are buying the idea dell sells you, the computer you purchase will have NO dell parts in it dell does not make parts. Hp sony toshiba compaq acer asus gateway are the same way. You are not buying a Dell computer, your buying a dell case(chasis) and parts from random manufacturers. all computers either have Intel or AMD processors(these are the only CPU manf in the mainstream market), usually Seagate or Western Digital HDD's(there are more brands but these are the most popular). Ram differs but none are made by Dell or HP etc.

The rest of the internal parts all roll off similar situations. Im sure your getting the point.

Its not buying a "insert brand name computer." www.newegg.com has preassembled computers for less markup than those brands, or you can build your own and save a bundle. If you ask around you can probably find someone to put it toghether for you.

Finding compatible parts is the only technical aspect of building a computer, there esentially different colored legos and do not fit any other way but correctly.

BisonBabe
04-21-2010, 03:04 AM
We picked up a HP media center tower for the kids off of eBay for 232 including shipping. Works like a charm. We had a spare 22" flat panel monitor so they are up and running.

Bisonguy
04-21-2010, 03:25 AM
So You can take this with a grain of salt if you want cause i work for geeksquad but my advice would be as follows:

If you are not doing anything graphicly intensive (ie hollywood style movie editing, playing the newest games and constantly moving to the newer game)

You would be better off buying a computer that is less than a 1000 dollars.

Whether you get a great one or a not so powerful computer the life expectancy doesnt change much its 2 years and change to 3 years. Thats why all warantys sold by best buy only go up to 3 years.

If you are a getting a desktop stay around 600-800 for the tower. The rest of the crap keyboard monitor etc, dont add that into your value price as that can all transfer from one computer to the next with no ramifcations brands dont matter.

Understand this, If you are to buy a dell you are buying the idea dell sells you, the computer you purchase will have NO dell parts in it dell does not make parts. Hp sony toshiba compaq acer asus gateway are the same way. You are not buying a Dell computer, your buying a dell case(chasis) and parts from random manufacturers. all computers either have Intel or AMD processors(these are the only CPU manf in the mainstream market), usually Seagate or Western Digital HDD's(there are more brands but these are the most popular). Ram differs but none are made by Dell or HP etc.

The rest of the internal parts all roll off similar situations. Im sure your getting the point.

Its not buying a "insert brand name computer." www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) has preassembled computers for less markup than those brands, or you can build your own and save a bundle. If you ask around you can probably find someone to put it toghether for you.

Finding compatible parts is the only technical aspect of building a computer, there esentially different colored legos and do not fit any other way but correctly.

FWIW, Asus does manufacture motherboards, in fact, they produced nearly 30% of all PC motherboards in 2009 (nearly as many as the next three manufacturers combined-ECS, Gigabyte, and MSI). They also manufacture laptops, phones, mp3 players, etc for companies such as Apple, Alienware, Falcon Northwest, HP, and Sony. Asus also receives Intel prototypes well before other manufacturers due to a close relationship started when Asus helped Intel out of a jam with their 486 motherboard.

EndZoneQB
04-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Dell actually has custom motherboards. They are not built to any standard size or shape. They even have custom I/O plates and locations. The one I am thinking about mounted with hooks and not standoffs/screws. The wiring for power, etc was also different than the standard 20pin +4 wiring(same connector, just different pin out I believe, it blew boards if used with standard PS). A lot of places do you use straight Intel boards, but a lot of them use their own versions. This may have changed recently tho, I haven't touched much premade stuff in awhile. Also remember, that board architecture and bios matters in speed, but probably not basic users. And instead of buying an "idea" I think you are buying a "guarantee". With laptops more than desktops, I swear by getting the best tech support/warranty available. Nothing I know of comes close to Dell's next day on-site service. I send an email, they reply asking if I want to install the part(they send the tools too), if not someone calls me in the AM to come to where I am to fix my computer. It's well worth $300 if you use it once...and it covers any accident. They contacted me before my warranty was up on one and told me to send it in so they can go through it before it goes off warranty. THAT'S SERVICE!

And agreed, Asus is a big Mobo manufacture. Their laptops a few years ago were so awesome for the price as well. When I worked at Bytespeed, we used to build those, they performed so well. Now they are more mainstream and have a more premium price.

mebisonII
04-21-2010, 05:10 AM
PL, just one more thought...check out refurbished outlet computers. I bought a Dell studio 14 laptop for about $500 off of the dell outlet several months ago and so far I absolutely LOVE it. I saved about $100 off of what they were going for new at the time.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

(also, just to fan the flames, since I got this computer, I can't stand doing anything on my wife's macbook, which we got her a couple months before mine :blush: )

56BISON73
04-21-2010, 06:24 PM
PL, just one more thought...check out refurbished outlet computers. I bought a Dell studio 14 laptop for about $500 off of the dell outlet several months ago and so far I absolutely LOVE it. I saved about $100 off of what they were going for new at the time.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

(also, just to fan the flames, since I got this computer, I can't stand doing anything on my wife's macbook, which we got her a couple months before mine :blush: )

Thanks
Ive been looking there also but havent found the configuation that I want after all the suggestions.

One other thought--since all the computers are basically the same what are you really paying for??? Reputation and or customer service????

99Bison
04-21-2010, 06:45 PM
You probably should consider a laptop even if you weren't the "freedom" is refreshingly different.

I have started just getting most people a version of the reasonably priced Dell Inspiron 15 and its more powerful than they all need.

Anyway, just a couple more cents on the subject.

1998braves64
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I agree laptop is great for freedom especially if you travel a lot (say to Bison games) it allows you to stay connected! And you can always hook your laptop up to your TV or a bigger monitor if the screen you have is too small, keyboard too. But the flexibility you can get with a laptop and the fact that most of any you would need would be just as powerful as you could get with desktop, a little more expensive but not bad compared to what they were 10 or so years ago.

56BISON73
04-21-2010, 07:24 PM
I have a dell lap top that I use when Iam traveling. Thats whats so frustrating when I get home and go back to my desk top.

I just got off the phone with dell so Iam gettin close to making a decision.

Tatanka
04-21-2010, 07:40 PM
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6605/dudebong2zv2.jpg

Plus or minus the bong and/or the check.

EndZoneQB
04-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks
Ive been looking there also but havent found the configuation that I want after all the suggestions.

One other thought--since all the computers are basically the same what are you really paying for??? Reputation and or customer service????

Definitely customer service. Honestly, I have not found one better than Dell. They have always been there when I asked, without question. They built their business on this, and they do a great job of it. Now, I have always had the BEST warranty they had for my laptop, it's probably less important for a desktop. I've always just been able to email them my problem and they call me the next day to come service it...but it helps having a local place that does Dell service, so you're situation might be different. They've sent me the tools and parts for me to swap myself if I wanted as well. I hated Gateway the most, they argued with me about EVERYTHING(including calling me a liar on more than one occasion, even tho I had direct evidence). Was not fun to deal with at all.

Just get a Dell, you won't be sorry. Just don't buy a bargain basement version of anything...not only does it have lesser "specs", but it has cheaper versions of pretty much everything else as well.

56BISON73
04-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Definitely customer service. Honestly, I have not found one better than Dell. They have always been there when I asked, without question. They built their business on this, and they do a great job of it. Now, I have always had the BEST warranty they had for my laptop, it's probably less important for a desktop. I've always just been able to email them my problem and they call me the next day to come service it...but it helps having a local place that does Dell service, so you're situation might be different. They've sent me the tools and parts for me to swap myself if I wanted as well. I hated Gateway the most, they argued with me about EVERYTHING(including calling me a liar on more than one occasion, even tho I had direct evidence). Was not fun to deal with at all.

Just get a Dell, you won't be sorry. Just don't buy a bargain basement version of anything...not only does it have lesser "specs", but it has cheaper versions of pretty much everything else as well.

As with most of my projects I have a tendency to over build. So this wont be any different as I want this new computer to be viable for many years to come.
I made three calls to Dell today. The first two I got guys from India? and communication was a problem. 3rd time was a charm as I hooked up with a guy that took his time with me and we went through many configurations and prices. He emailed me all the quotes so I could see them all side by side and he said he will call me tomorrow. So Im pretty well set.

EndZoneQB
04-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Unfortunately, I think the India, etc thing will be commonplace no matter who you call these days :(. For service, theres always the chat room that keeps that communication barrier to a minimum. Plus, you can do that while you do other things, rather than sitting on hold on the phone.

56BISON73
04-22-2010, 02:22 AM
I think this is the one Iam going to get. Its on the far right and goes for 1,299.00 Hopefully I can haggle on the price.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/studio-xps-8100/pd.aspx?refid=studio-xps-8100&s=dhs&cs=19

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

EndZoneQB
04-22-2010, 02:54 AM
I think this is the one Iam going to get. Its on the far right and goes for 1,299.00 Hopefully I can haggle on the price.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/studio-xps-8100/pd.aspx?refid=studio-xps-8100&s=dhs&cs=19

One place you can trim money right off the bat is the video card. I'm assuming you don't do any CAD drawings(atleast not serious ones?) or play a lot of video games, then whatever the base model is will work, plus thats one of the easiest things to upgrade if needed. Might not be a big savings tho.

mebisonII
04-22-2010, 02:43 PM

That's a great looking computer. 1 TB hard-drives! I haven't looked at desktops in a long time....little bigger numbers than I see in discount laptops.

Have you used Win7 yet? I've got in on my personal laptop and love it. They got lots of little touches just right, and I can barely stand to use my work computer with WinXP anymore.

56BISON73
04-22-2010, 05:59 PM
That's a great looking computer. 1 TB hard-drives! I haven't looked at desktops in a long time....little bigger numbers than I see in discount laptops.

Have you used Win7 yet? I've got in on my personal laptop and love it. They got lots of little touches just right, and I can barely stand to use my work computer with WinXP anymore.

I am trying to buy something that wont be outdated in a couple of years.
Thats good to here because Im using XP now.

Dell called back today and I found a way to save 200.00. BUT there was some BS that the computer wouldnt give me the full 200.00. The would only give me 50.00 plus free shipping on the downgraded machine. So I said lets just go back to the original configuation. Well low and behold the original machine that I wanted was now 150.00 more than it was yesterday. I told them to stick it.

Twentysix
04-22-2010, 08:20 PM
FWIW, Asus does manufacture motherboards, in fact, they produced nearly 30% of all PC motherboards in 2009 (nearly as many as the next three manufacturers combined-ECS, Gigabyte, and MSI). They also manufacture laptops, phones, mp3 players, etc for companies such as Apple, Alienware, Falcon Northwest, HP, and Sony. Asus also receives Intel prototypes well before other manufacturers due to a close relationship started when Asus helped Intel out of a jam with their 486 motherboard.

That is true yet the majority of ASUS computers best buy sells do not have ASUS mobo's in them. Now that ASUS has become a slightly profitable computer distributor they have quit using most of there parts in there computers, just like 1/2 of the toshiba computers have Hitachi hard drives instead of toshiba hard drives.

Twentysix
04-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Dell actually has custom motherboards. They are not built to any standard size or shape. They even have custom I/O plates and locations. The one I am thinking about mounted with hooks and not standoffs/screws. The wiring for power, etc was also different than the standard 20pin +4 wiring(same connector, just different pin out I believe, it blew boards if used with standard PS). A lot of places do you use straight Intel boards, but a lot of them use their own versions. This may have changed recently tho, I haven't touched much premade stuff in awhile. Also remember, that board architecture and bios matters in speed, but probably not basic users. And instead of buying an "idea" I think you are buying a "guarantee". With laptops more than desktops, I swear by getting the best tech support/warranty available. Nothing I know of comes close to Dell's next day on-site service. I send an email, they reply asking if I want to install the part(they send the tools too), if not someone calls me in the AM to come to where I am to fix my computer. It's well worth $300 if you use it once...and it covers any accident. They contacted me before my warranty was up on one and told me to send it in so they can go through it before it goes off warranty. THAT'S SERVICE!

And agreed, Asus is a big Mobo manufacture. Their laptops a few years ago were so awesome for the price as well. When I worked at Bytespeed, we used to build those, they performed so well. Now they are more mainstream and have a more premium price.

Since dell dropped the desktops that open like a clam shell they have switched to more standardized mobos, atleast the last 65 or so dells ive opened have had standard micro ATX boards, generally newer dells are slimline and use a proprietary PSU but the only difference there is the physical size of the device not the power output etc.

Im guessing your refering to the Dimension 2000-9000 series that dell ran from 2000 to about 2007. They came in the black/charcole case.

Like this

http://www.shinyplastic.com/reviews/dell-dimension-8400/dimension-8400-case.jpg

Below is a picture of what dells desktops of the last 3ish years mobos look like, very standardized.

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/catalog/13639-dell-G679R-motherboard.jpg

Twentysix
04-22-2010, 08:44 PM
If you want a reliable laptop go lenovo hands down.

http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/#ss

EndZoneQB
04-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Since dell dropped the desktops that open like a clam shell they have switched to more standardized mobos, atleast the last 65 or so dells ive opened have had standard micro ATX boards, generally newer dells are slimline and use a proprietary PSU but the only difference there is the physical size of the device not the power output etc.

Im guessing your refering to the Dimension 2000-9000 series that dell ran from 2000 to about 2007. They came in the black/charcole case.

Like this

http://www.shinyplastic.com/reviews/dell-dimension-8400/dimension-8400-case.jpg

Below is a picture of what dells desktops of the last 3ish years mobos look like, very standardized.

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/catalog/13639-dell-G679R-motherboard.jpg

Yep, you're right. I actually opened a newer dell just yesterday and I was mistaken. It was the older series definitely that had the proprietary stuff...this is a good move by Dell. I always liked the simple nature of their cases but not being able to re-use them was a drag.

Tatanka
04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
If you want a reliable laptop go lenovo hands down.

http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/#ss

26 is correct.

TransAmBison
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
TAB sums up this thread:

Wordswordswords Aces and NDB2 make interesting conversation wordswords more interesting conversation by Aces and NDB2 Hammersmith lends his immortal knowledge wordswordswords.

aces1180
04-23-2010, 02:19 AM
TAB sums up this thread:

Wordswordswords Aces and NDB2 make interesting conversation wordswords more interesting conversation by Aces and NDB2 Hammersmith lends his immortal knowledge wordswordswords.

Aces and NDB2 make-up via PM. ;)

TransAmBison
04-23-2010, 02:44 AM
Aces and NDB2 make-up via PM. ;)
Gaywads. :D

Bison bison
04-23-2010, 02:46 AM
Kumbayah, My Lord, Kumbayah!

tjbison
04-23-2010, 02:48 AM

They had a internet hug and fist pump

aces1180
04-23-2010, 02:51 AM

You wanna start with me too? Bring it on, dingleberry! ;)

TransAmBison
04-23-2010, 11:00 AM
You wanna start with me too? Bring it on, dingleberry! ;)
you and your pussy major. :D

Bison bison
04-23-2010, 01:00 PM
True dat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XrvkPgwo2I

Notorious
04-23-2010, 01:28 PM
How did I miss this one...we definatley needs "Lakes" back. Also, you would think ACES would be able to "communicate" his thoughts better than he has on this thread...damn NDSU education!

And, NDB2 is a dick :)

TransAmBison
04-23-2010, 01:34 PM
How did I miss this one...we definatley needs "Lakes" back. Also, you would think ACES would be able to "communicate" his thoughts better than he has on this thread...damn NDSU education!

And, NDB2 is a dick :)
Yeah, Aces definitely is not up to Forum standards. But, he did just report the facts...NDB2 is a dick. :D

Bison bison
04-23-2010, 02:39 PM
And a big one at that!

BlueBisonRock
04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
And a big one at that!

Looking for sausage fame of your own? :D

56BISON73
04-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Studio XPS 8100317-2913
Intel® Core™ i7-860 processor(8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)317-2890
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs330-3828
Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard320-0928
23" Dell ST2210 Full HD Monitor with VGA cable320-8407
nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB GDDR3342-0171
1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache330-6097
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English330-3826
Dell Studio Optical Mouse410-1867
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language313-8757
Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)421-9898
THX® TruStudio PC™313-7359
Dell AX210 Stereo Speakers430-0682
Dell 1525 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card & external antenna420-8103
Microsoft Works 9.0410-2152
McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months412-0360
2 Year Basic Service Plan420-9518
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

TransAmBison
04-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Studio XPS 8100317-2913
Dems are fighten words boy...

99Bison
04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Studio XPS 8100317-2913

I have some Arizona ocean front propery to sell you! Even comes with a 2 year warranty that it won't fall into the ocean!

:D

tony
04-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Studio XPS 8100317-2913

According to some simulations I've just made up, this new PC will be faster than your old machine. :)

Bottom line: Plenty powerful.

56BISON73
04-23-2010, 11:20 PM
According to some simulations I've just made up, this new PC will be faster than your old machine. :)

Bottom line: Plenty powerful.

If this machine will only last as long as my current Gateway 600 (11 years) I will be a happy camper.

Notorious
04-24-2010, 03:22 PM
If this machine will only last as long as my current Gateway 600 (11 years) I will be a happy camper.

Are you going to continue to use your DOS-Based version of Lotus, or are you going to move to something a little more current, like the Windows version?

56BISON73
04-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Are you going to continue to use your DOS-Based version of Lotus, or are you going to move to something a little more current, like the Windows version?

Ahhh must be a computer geek joke right???:D Started off with W98 and now run XP on it.

Twentysix
04-24-2010, 09:59 PM

Wont happen, the new machine is going to up your standards and your going to realize you were clinically insane while using the old one.

Kinda like when you actually sit down and watch 1080p tv for an hour, then going back to an old CRT with a squircle monitor. You know, not quite square but not really that round.

Bison bison
04-24-2010, 10:28 PM

Dick.

ten inches.

BlueBisonRock
04-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Dick.

Did IBM Lotus rebrand?

56BISON73
04-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Wont happen, the new machine is going to up your standards and your going to realize you were clinically insane while using the old one.

Kinda like when you actually sit down and watch 1080p tv for an hour, then going back to an old CRT with a squircle monitor. You know, not quite square but not really that round.

Oh I understand. When I have to use my desk top vs my laptop it drives me nuts. But that will soon be rectified.

56BISON73
05-02-2010, 05:06 AM
New computer arrived Thursday and we put it together today. Wow is it neat. Love the big monitor. Should be great for streaming video. Alot of different stuff to get used to.

TransAmBison
05-02-2010, 01:47 PM
New computer arrived Thursday and we put it together today. Wow is it neat. Love the big monitor. Should be great for streaming video. Alot of different stuff to get used to.
You had to put it together? Are you sure you didn't get a legos set?

IzzyFlexion
05-02-2010, 02:26 PM

You had to put it together? Are you sure you didn't get a legos set?

I'm willing to do some of the heavy lifting during "prime scam baiting" season.
http://blog.pcnews.ro/wp-content/photo/2007/08/computer.jpg