PDA

View Full Version : Average attendance was 3,596. Largest this decade!!

TheBisonator
02-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks to all the fans, especially the 5,790 who came last night for Seniors night. This was the largest average attendance for the Bison in a season in the 2000's!! Let's hopefully keep up the pace for next year and get at least 3,500 per game!!

GO BISON FANS!!!

WYOBISONMAN
02-18-2009, 06:25 PM
It would be nice to lead the Summit in attendance next year. ORU will be tough to beat with attendance, but I think we can do it. Especially if we go to the NCAA and maybe win a game.

lakesbison
02-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Still a joke that we cant get 5,000/game ...,,,,100,000 people in the area, 20,000 @ fball.games...,,

if the BEST NDSU TEAM EVER CANT DO IT, WE'RE SCREWED....

Hammersmith
02-18-2009, 06:44 PM
It takes time to build a following; more so at a historically football-only school. We had a 500+ increase this year, and a 400+ increase the year before that. This rate of growth is healthy, and if you aren't happy with it, you're an idiot. Any growth next year will be a success, and we should max out the BSA within four years(barring a collapse of the program).

These things take time; be happy with what we've got - it's good.

HandoEX
02-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Still a joke that we cant get 5,000/game ...,,,,100,000 people in the area, 20,000 @ fball.games...,,

if the BEST NDSU TEAM EVER CANT DO IT, WE'RE SCREWED....

There are 160,000 people that live in the metro alone. It will take a while for basketball to be big. It stinks, but most fans still see NDSU as only having one sport...football. More exposure will help alot and that means a conference championship!

lakesbison
02-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Hammer--dont insult mine or anyone else's intelligence,,,,,the reason there was 1,000+ increase da last two.seasons is 'WOODY' PERIOD!!!!

to assume that will continue is puttin a TON of faith on the bndwagoners....

Hammersmith
02-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Hammer--dont insult mine or anyone else's intelligence,,,,,the reason there was 1,000+ increase da last two.seasons is 'WOODY' PERIOD!!!!

to assume that will continue is puttin a TON of faith on the bndwagoners....

How can I insult what's not there?

People are showing in increasing numbers because an entertaining and exciting product is being put on the court(plus a fair amount of overall marketing and buzz). That product on the court is due to the increased emphasis NDSU has placed on men's basketball since the DI move. Woody is a big part of that. So is Winks. So is Mike. So was Dre. So was Timmy. None of those were the only reason, and new reasons will continue to be added as time goes by. Saying Woody is the ONLY reason that people started showing up in larger numbers is stupid and disrespectful of all the hard work that Ben's teammates and predecessors have accomplished.

It's probable that the attendance growth will slow down for next year, but it won't backslide much unless the Bison really stink up the court. As long as they are contending for a decent seed in the Summit tourney(3-5 seed), people will show and the boulder that Tim and the Fab Four started rolling will continue to pick up speed until the BSA(or some other venue) is packed.

I, at least, have a track record of getting my predictions right.

Bison bison
02-18-2009, 07:24 PM
I attend because I think the BSA is a real groovy place to hang out.

met1990
02-18-2009, 07:26 PM
I attend because I think the BSA is a real groovy place to hang out.

I go because I can't afford the gym membership and the sauna that goes with it.

Oh, and the possibility of seeing Lakes and his "bitches."

NDSUstudent
02-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Attendance for DI games....

Jay
02-18-2009, 08:59 PM
half of the basketball games don't occur on Saturday's like football, thus not allowing the fans from across the state attend basketball games on Tuesday's and Thursday's like they do for Bison football.

Bison"FANatic"
02-18-2009, 09:10 PM
3596 is a pretty good number considering you are sitting ass cheek to ass cheek with the guy next to you that you have know idea how much he is enjoying it. Oh and don't get me started with the knees in your back the whole game and trying to sit and move without sticking your own knee so far into the person in front of you that they are feeling a lump in there chest. The most uncomfortable place to watch a college game. But I sure do love to go and watch a game and let my daughter experience and participate in being a fan.

TheBisonator
02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
There are 160,000 people that live in the metro alone. It will take a while for basketball to be big. It stinks, but most fans still see NDSU as only having one sport...football. More exposure will help alot and that means a conference championship!

Actually, the metro area has about 200,000 people.

tjbison
02-18-2009, 09:53 PM
It takes time to build a following; more so at a historically football-only school. We had a 500+ increase this year, and a 400+ increase the year before that. This rate of growth is healthy, and if you aren't happy with it, you're an idiot. Any growth next year will be a success, and we should max out the BSA within four years(barring a collapse of the program).
These things take time; be happy with what we've got - it's good.

or the BSA:hide: :hide: :hide:

stevdock
02-18-2009, 09:54 PM
You are talking 5 or if we're lucky 6 football games, all on Saturday's except maybe opening night, compared to how many ever basketball games where at least half fall during the work week. I'm sorry but games during the week are incredibly tough for myself to get to and I live in town. I love taking my son to the games, but there are only so many times where that is even a possibility depending on everything else going on. I'm guessing I'm not the only one in that boat.

lakesbison
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Ya..ok so out of state people cant.come..... what about the 120,000 ???

bisonpride
02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
The best judge of the attendance increase and to compare to football is to see the attendance of saturday games only. It must be around 4,500.

Three other factors even on saturdays is weather to travel long distances, way more youth activities in the winter on saturday (how many 3 on 3 tourneys are listed in the paper each week, its crazy), and i dont know why but some people just dont like basketball but would rather go watch wrestling and hockey. So those factors definitely cut into attendance. That and the BSA is such a great place to watch a game. Can we please at least fix the speakers!

If past years is any indication, any one who remembers what attendance was like the last 3 weeks of the season in Babich's last year. We averaged around 12,000 those last 3 games(and that was paid attendance, probaly more around 9-10,000). Lets hope it doesn't come to that.

HandoEX
02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Actually, the metro area has about 200,000 people.

I meant W. Fargo, Fargo, Moorhead and Dilworth and didn't include the small towns that aren't connected:)

TheBisonator
02-19-2009, 10:24 PM
I meant W. Fargo, Fargo, Moorhead and Dilworth and didn't include the small towns that aren't connected:)

Then that's approximately 170,000 people.

Fargo - 101,000
Moorhead - 38,000
West Fargo - 26,000
Dilworth - 4,000
Horace - 2,000

Twentysix
02-20-2009, 07:04 AM

Fargo - 101,000
Moorhead - 38,000
West Fargo - 26,000
Dilworth - 4,000
Horace - 2,000

Whats your source of the populations, isnt fargo listed at 90,900 or something? thats like 10k over the census.

NDSUFan_Sav
02-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Whats your source of the populations, isnt fargo listed at 90,900 or something? thats like 10k over the census.

i would say fargo is aroung 92-98k somewhere in there and i'm not sure if that includes college students or not

fargocyclone
02-20-2009, 05:01 PM
The City of Fargo estimates itself at 99,200 people. This is on the city's websites and concurs with wikipedia.

ndsubison1
02-20-2009, 05:50 PM

Fargo - 101,000
Moorhead - 38,000
West Fargo - 26,000
Dilworth - 4,000
Horace - 2,000

You forgot Harwood... :)

roadwarrior
02-20-2009, 06:06 PM
What about Frontier, Prairie Rose, Reiles Acres, and Oxbow?

ThunderDan
02-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Not to sound like a downer, but I'm pretty sure attendance the next couple of years will be down, mostly because the quality of play will be....how do i say this delicately...not so great compared to the last few years. To put it another way, the team(at least the next 2 years) will be contending for the bottom spots of the Summit.

BisBison
02-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Not to sound like a downer, but I'm pretty sure attendance the next couple of years will be down, mostly because the quality of play will be....how do i say this delicately...not so great compared to the last few years. To put it another way, the team(at least the next 2 years) will be contending for the bottom spots of the Summit.

I doubt that. And write it down and remember my quote to remind me if your's comes true. This year is special but I doubt we'll suck as much as you fear the next two years.

NDSUstudent
02-22-2009, 06:21 AM
Thunderdan, an example of why the search feature is a must for every messageboard...

After the SFA game..

I just gotta say, since most of you seem to think that NDSU was/is supposed to be some great team(for a mid major) and are shocked and jumping off the bandwagon after tonight....
This team was never good once Andre Smith left. yes, woodside is great but basketball is not a one man game. never has been, never will be. And just so no one throws a fit, I'm not saying winkleman isn't good, cuz he is.
But how could you EVER look at this team at the begining of the year and think that they are one of the top 70 or 80 teams in the country? No center to speak of, no bench AT ALL. Everyone that I said this to before the season started, bashed me, and i'm sure all you kool-aid drinking homers will do the same. Just because I like the Bison does not mean I'm not a realist. The only reason this team has a flying chance in hell to make the big dance this year is because the Summit is very WEAK.
So, once all of you come to your senses and realize that this is NOT a very good team, I think you will sleep better at night. If you are getting worked up over an average team like this, what will you do next year when the Bison only win 2 to 3 games in the Summit?
Please, start the bashing on me now...i know its coming since 90 percent of you can't handle the truth.
And just to restate, cuz most of you will no doubt say something about, "talk to me at the end of the year, when NDSU is in the Big Dance".....i never said they wont be in the Big Dance. But if they are, its not because they are a good team. WEAK CONFERENCE

Recruiting thread last year...

You gotta be kidding me...if NDSU is going after him, then they are basically not trying and might as well give up. There is no way this kid is a D I Mid-Major player. I am not too happy with the kind of players we have been going for/looking at lately. Lets face it, the guys we have now, Woodside, Winkleman, Nelson, Mooreman....they are good, but no where near the caliber of players that we need to contend for a shot at the Big Dance. Well, maybe Woodside, but thats about it. I mean, look at who we recruited the last couple of years. Coleman, Pennick, Vaughn, Sussenguth? Your talking about guys that should be playing at MSUM not NDSU.....If this program wants to contend for league titles and a shot at the NCAA, then they need to recruit some better players, and that is the bottom line.

ndsubison1
02-22-2009, 06:28 AM
What say you Thunder Dan?

Mr. Burgundy
02-22-2009, 02:54 PM
ThundarDan....can you please give your ticket to Sioux Falls to a fan who really wants to enjoy something special.

Thanks

ThunderDan
02-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Did any of you even READ those previous posts??? I said that NDSU would only have a shot to make the NCAA tourney because the Summit is a weak conference...and duh, it is!! Look up the Summit rankings compared to all the other conferences in the NCAA...u will find it towards the bottom. If NDSU doesn't win the conference tourney, they don't make the big dance....seriously, i love it when people read things that are not there and twist it to make it fit their liking. It is true that the summit is a bad conference and thats why NDSU has a chance to make the NCAA tourney......

NDSUstudent
02-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Did any of you even READ those previous posts??? I said that NDSU would only have a shot to make the NCAA tourney because the Summit is a weak conference...and duh, it is!! Look up the Summit rankings compared to all the other conferences in the NCAA...u will find it towards the bottom. If NDSU doesn't win the conference tourney, they don't make the big dance....seriously, i love it when people read things that are not there and twist it to make it fit their liking. It is true that the summit is a bad conference and thats why NDSU has a chance to make the NCAA tourney......

Explain this then....

Lets face it, the guys we have now, Woodside, Winkleman, Nelson, Mooreman....they are good, but no where near the caliber of players that we need to contend for a shot at the Big Dance. Well, maybe Woodside, but thats about it. I mean, look at who we recruited the last couple of years. Coleman, Pennick, Vaughn, Sussenguth? Your talking about guys that should be playing at MSUM not NDSU.....If this program wants to contend for league titles and a shot at the NCAA, then they need to recruit some better players, and that is the bottom line.

Is this team not contending for a league title and a shot at the dance?

Mr. Burgundy
02-22-2009, 06:05 PM
...........not to be a downer. Great way to start a post.

You have been critical of recruiting, our bench, our lack of talent, how our crowd support will decrease next year, the conference we are in, etc. That is without any digging.

Not twisting any words, they are your words.

I have said this MANY times.....5 years ago, we were a below average D2 team, and we are now on the bring of being a 1 or 2 seed in a CONFERENCE that has an auto bid. If we win that tourney (that is 3 hours away from Fargo) we go to the big dance. Now.....what is there to be a "downer" about????

This is the time to look around and realize how lucky we are. If you are a hoops fan, this time is about as good as it gets. Will there be struggles? Yeah, but why complain now? Enjoy the season (Kfan reference).

NDSUstudent
02-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

The Bison are 21-6 and they just knocked off a UWM team that was 12-2 at home and had recently defeated a top 25 team in Butler.

UWM's coach said Woodside was the most talanted guard he has seen this year and both he and Earys thought NDSU and Butler would be a great match up.

Yes Thunderdan, UWM's coach and star player thought the leader of the weak Summit League would match up well against Butler the leader of one of the best mid-major conferences in college basketball.