PDA

View Full Version : Charging Students

tjbison
02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I haven't been involved in HS sports for a number of years, but are they doing this in MN or ND?

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/231239/group/home/

BlueBisonRock
02-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I haven't been involved in HS sports for a number of years, but are they doing this in MN or ND?

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/231239/group/home/

Kids (parents) pay to play high school sports in Rochester. Football and Hockey pay the biggest bill. And the charge is limited to two sports enabling breaks for multisport athletes.

And, the bills are getting bigger as the school board is dealing with the MN funding issues.

BigDeal
02-16-2009, 07:22 PM
MN school districts have been, and fees have been slowly going up depending on the district. Where I went to high school, it was 50 bucks a sport with a 250 dollar family cap per year. I've heard of some ridiculous fees of over 200 bucks now with budget shortfalls and all in some TC metro schools. However, the people with free or reduced meals will still get to play for free while the middle class... oops, sorry, no politics on the board... I'm done.

mebisonII
02-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Hard for this not to go political at some point.

I'd love to see sports be free to play, but if its a choice between charging to pay or cutting corners on the core mission (that would be education), obviously I've got to go with the former. Plenty of other things I would, and have, said that about as well, besides sports.

CarringtonBison
02-16-2009, 10:19 PM
We have done this in carrington since I was in high school (1991). The rates have stayed steady, and there is an individual and family cap. Helps offset some costs and allows us to go to more tournaments, etc.

sambini
02-16-2009, 10:52 PM
My daughter goes to Fargo South 50 bucks a sport. Plus we do fund raising for each sport also.

tjbison
02-17-2009, 12:02 AM
I was asking some old friends and now I remember we payed a yearly activity fee that covered anything extracurricular and it was a whopping $20 TOTAL!!!

sambini
02-17-2009, 12:25 AM
With the budget cuts it will get worse.

Mr_Meanor
02-17-2009, 02:46 AM
Minnesota has been doing this for awhile. I went to a high school in the twin cities in the late 90's and back then it was around 100 to 200 bucks depending on the sport. I played basketball and baseball and I think they were each 150 bucks. Hockey and football were the most expensive. I do believe there was a $500 cap per student though. But I do know the prices have gone up and some students can waive the fee is they are on lunch assistence.

gotts
02-17-2009, 03:22 AM
I graduated high school in 2005 and paid $200 per sport.

$400 max per athlete, per year. We had the buy 2, get one free deal as well :D

Hammersmith
02-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Wahp did it when I was there(early 90's). Individual and family cap just like Carrington and exemptions for low-income families. I think it maxed out at around $200 for a family. Most individual students were probably between $20-$50.

IzzyFlexion
02-17-2009, 02:01 PM
I was asking some old friends and now I remember we payed a yearly activity fee that covered anything extracurricular and it was a whopping $20 TOTAL!!!

Well, tjbison, when your high school memories include posting up Charles Ingalls in the Walnut Grove Invitational, it's expected that costs have gone up to today's levels.:D

Oh, and in advance, I'll lean on my sig line to ask your forgiveness for my "old guy" jab.