PDA

View Full Version : Kiwanis Pancake Feed

sambini
02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
I know Dormie is over at the FARGODOME making pancakes today. We are going to be there before the mens game tonight. Lets break that world record again.

imabison
02-15-2009, 04:50 AM
I know Dormie is over at the FARGODOME making pancakes today. We are going to be there before the mens game tonight. Lets break that world record again.
Heard they did not break the record, however it was more that the entry to the lines was more of a problem then getting them made and delivered.

I am sure that the Kiwanis will work with the dome to figure out the strategy.

I personally was there slight before 1 and said I will never make the game if I stay so I walked over between games.

sambini
02-15-2009, 01:37 PM
We went at 5:30 no problem walked right in. And then over to the BSA. But I HEARD IT WAS TERRIBLE LONG LINES IN THE MORNING. They will get it done next year.

Bison"FANatic"
02-15-2009, 05:01 PM
The lines were long. It went all the way to the other side of the dome and then back again. So I would roughly say once around the dome and then down the stairs and into the rope feader line on the dome floor. It moved pretty fast though. It was good and went to a good cause. My daughter had a lot of fun in the bouncy castles and the blow up Dragon. The Moorhead football players did a great job of helping the kids at the games.

There were a few kinks in the new location but for the first year it went well. If they get the number of grills worked out and can get people through it will go very well. I have to give the Kiwanas credit for a job well done

DORMIE
02-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Best time to go there is after 3:00 when the lines start to go down. I was on a grill from 10:45 to 3:45. Worked with Coach Lingo, new RB coach from MSU from CA and a couple of their players. Nice people. Problem we had is that we didn't anticipate the increase in volume with the move to the DOME. We'll probably add a couple more of those large rotary grills next year. We just couldn't make them fast enough. Nice venue for it though. People didn't have to wait outside.

sambini
02-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Great job Dormie++++

Bison bison
02-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Saw a lot of Bison Football players helping out yesterday. My son loved it!

Leevon Perry and Brandon Jemison were doling out cakes and high fives.

Tatanka
02-13-2011, 02:43 PM
+++

Awesome to see these guys out and about in the community. Excellent PR for the team, and also a good opportunity for the players to connect with their fans and vice versa.

BisonVifte
02-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Wife and I were there around 11 and had a very short wait. Was this the 2nd or 3rd year at the dome?

roper1313
02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
It is the 3rd year of the feed. As a Kiwanian the first year at the dome was an abject failure. We massively underestimated the number of people that would show up and were not prepared for it. The last year at the Civic Center (world record) we saw around 11,000 at the dome we saw 16,000. That's about 20,000 extra pancakes that needed to be made. Last year we bought a bunch of new equipment and changed the dome layout. Those changes, really helped knock down the wait time. This year we saw between 11-12K and from what I heard had a great feed. I think we can now handle around 14K, and hopefully we'll see it next year. Another 2000 people would mean between $6-8000 to local youth driven charities.

If you came out last Saturday, THANK YOU!! We hope to see you next year.

Now for my Bison content. It was great to see the NDSU players helping. You can tell coach Bohl is becoming more entrenched in the community, I know when he replace Babich we had a hard time getting him to commit players to volunteer. Thanks to all our volunteers!!

DjKyRo
02-17-2011, 04:43 PM
My grandpa is a member of the Bismarck chapter, used to go to the pancake feed all the time as a kid. Good stuff.

NDSUFan_Sav
02-17-2011, 04:46 PM
+++

Awesome to see these guys out and about in the community. Excellent PR for the team, and also a good opportunity for the players to connect with their fans and vice versa.

but we'll never hear about it in the local media and if we do......

CAS4127
02-17-2011, 05:08 PM
+++

Provided it's not court-ordered community service!:hide:

Tatanka
02-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Provided it's not court-ordered community service!:hide:

Don't care if it is. Leevon Perry (for example) was visibly having a blast chatting it up with everyone in teh pancake line. John Pike stood out as well on one of the inflatable games, having fun with the kids. Not one of them had the "I guess I have to be here when is my time overwith so I can go home" look on their face. It was good to see!

roper1313
02-17-2011, 06:37 PM
My kids and some friends were there from 5:30-7 and made a bee-line to the games with bison players. Screw the media, 1000s in the community got to see them volunteering with their own eye's. IMO, that makes a bigger impression then 50,000 seeing them for 10 seconds on TV.

Tatanka
02-17-2011, 06:39 PM
My kids and some friends were there from 5:30-7 and made a bee-line to the games with bison players. Screw the media, 1000s in the community got to see them volunteering with their own eye's. IMO, that makes a bigger impression then 50,000 seeing them for 10 seconds on TV.

^^^^THIS, except it would be good to provide balance to what most people hear about the players and the team in the news.