PDA

View Full Version : 800m 'Battle of the Lauras' in Fargo - 2009 edition

Thundering Herd
02-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Now that the indoor season is upon us, I'm getting more and more pumped to see what the 'Lauras' will do this year,... especially in the longer sprints and mid-distances!!!

Laura Hermanson just qualified in the 800 for indoor nationals while setting an NDSU record. She ran in the 800 finals at the US Olympic Trials last year. (if you didn't know this, you better fix yourself, then blame it on terrible media coverage in ND!). This will cause some debate, but IMHO Laura Roesler is the better of the two! The high school junior from Fargo South ran in the semis of the 800 in the US Olympic Trials last year. Her times were comparable if not a little faster than Hermanson's. She runs her blistering times against high school competition where she's not being pushed with great competition like Hermanson faces. With that and the word amateur in mind, could Laura Roesler run in local COLLEGE meets as an 'unattached' competitor so we can see a 'Laura Showdown' between Hermanson and Roesler? Two of the top 16 runners in the US in the women's 800 meters are in Fargo, ND! Let them duke it out a couple of times, that would be a great story.

lakesbison
02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Get it done..... cant scheels or someone do a promotional event....exhibition style!!!!

Nike9
02-11-2009, 01:21 AM
Laura Hermanson would win a show down, no doubt. She is SO much stonger physically, mentally she is also the toughest girl I know hands down.

airwaveslave
02-11-2009, 01:33 AM
They did race head to head once last spring as both were preparing for the Olympic Trials. Roesler beats Hermanson. Hermanson is good, but so is Roesler. Video of the race here...(Roesler's in the light pink, Hermanson's in her Bison uni)

http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?do=view&member_id=4&video_id=4648

I'm not saying this video gives any indication that Roesler would still win. Just thought I'd point out that they have raced each other before.

Anyone know why Roesler didn't run XC this past fall?

Castor Troy
02-11-2009, 01:11 PM

I don't have any inside information, like if she was injured or anything, but I do know the nature of 800 and it is a delicate balance. Some 800 runners need to run cross-country and some do not. Laura has put her time into running cross and it may not help her as much. She may also be a bit spooked since Heather Dorniden from U of M ran cross the last 2 seasons and her 800 times have suffered.

Case in point, the best Bison men 800 runners did not run XC seriously: Andy Moen, Heath Janke, Mark Thompson. In the words of Lars, "You can't go hell bent for election for 3 seasons a year."

tony
02-11-2009, 01:40 PM

Actually, she did run cross country this past fall... saw her running when I was at one of my niece's meets (now that I think of it, it was probably the EDC - Laura finished 2nd or 3rd). LR has been pretty running competitively year round and, whether she did so or not, it probably would have been a good idea to use XC to build a base rather than to go all out competitively and risk burning out.

airwaveslave
02-11-2009, 04:36 PM
I never saw Roesler's name in the state meet results. That's why I was curious. Thanks...

Heather Dorniden was the 5th finisher on the Gopher's 11th place cross country national team. She just ran 2:04.39 and beat Hermanson last weekend. I would hardly say her 800 times are suffering. Dorniden owns the indoor school record at Minnesota in 2:04.30. So 2:04.39 is pretty good considering it's indoors and extremely early in the indoor season. Hermanson also is one of the top cross runners in the summit league and continues to improve on the track. I do agree that some 800 runners don't need to run cross, but I don't think running cross will hurt an 800 performace in any way as long as you maintain your leg speed and flexibility.

Whatever Roesler did this past fall, I hope she continues to improve because she could be fun to watch in the coming years.

roper1313
02-11-2009, 05:40 PM
As Tony said she did run CC last fall. From the sound of things at south her energy level was a little low after all the running she had this summer. From what I understood she pretty much shut it down after the trials. I'm sure we'll see here in prime condition come HS track.

Castor Troy
02-11-2009, 06:45 PM
A track debate! YESSSSS!

Heather went from running a 2:02 consistently in 2007 outdoors to 2:05 consistently in 2008. I saw her at nationals and she looked tired during the entire meet. It is my opinion that she dropped off a bit while still competing at a high enough level to place 5th at nationals. 2006 is when she started logging miles for cross. You cannot run your ass off for 3 seasons during the course of a year and peak for each season. It is physically impossible.

Back to Roesler. Her mother was an accomplished runner and I am sure that she will have an opinion on whether Laura runs XC seriously (meaning logging miles, peaking for championships, etc) or not.

I am loving this. I never get to talk much track on this board.

Castor Troy
02-11-2009, 06:47 PM
As Tony said she did run CC last fall. From the sound of things at south her energy level was a little low after all the running she had this summer. From what I understood she pretty much shut it down after the trials. I'm sure we'll see here in prime condition come HS track.

Shutting it down was a good idea. :nod:

lakesbison
02-11-2009, 07:04 PM
So.. Having Laura R. run unattached in a bison open or something like that is NOT going to happen becuz

A) Roesler doesn't want to

B) against HS or NCAA rules

C) No one has suggested it to her.

Castor Troy
02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
So.. Having Laura R. run unattached in a bison open or something like that is NOT going to happen becuz

A) Roesler doesn't want to

B) against HS or NCAA rules

C) No one has suggested it to her.

I don't think it is entirely against the rules, but you would not be able to find a meet organizer in town that would agree to this, and I really don't know why. About 4 years ago, a girl by the name of Bria Wetsch ran unattached against college runners at Concordia. She was famous for quitting her high school and being home schooled just so she could be coached by someone out of state.

BraxtonT
02-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Just taking a stab it this one, but I know a high school baseball player is not allowed to play any amateur ball while the high school season is being played, so I would imagine the NDHSAA would have the same ruling for all sports.

lakesbison
02-11-2009, 08:03 PM
I player amatuer ball while in high school season, it happens.

ask morrison county minnesota

BraxtonT
02-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I player amatuer ball while in high school season, it happens.

ask morrison county minnesota

Laura Roesler would fall under the guidelines of the North Dakota High School Act. Assn.

airwaveslave
02-11-2009, 10:20 PM
It's not physically impossible. There are tons of runners who finish on the podium in cross, indoor and outdoor track. Look at professionals, yes they train to peak at certain moments but that can be multiple times in one year. The fact is they train at a high level year-round. As long as you train smart, it's far from impossible.

You are basing your argument on one subpar season for Heather Dorniden (in which she still ran hella fast..2:05). It's almost as if because she was a national champion when she was a freshmen, people expect her to never lose another race again when in reality, others come along to challenge her and/or Heather may not see the drastic improvements from year to year. How do you know she didn't have some minor injury hampering her all year that prevented her from running 3 seconds faster. Maybe that injury was due to the increase in cross miles, very well could be, but I never said it wouldn't take some adjustments in training. My point is that many people train at a high level in xc and still see plenty of success in track. It is also true that some people don't run xc and still see plenty of success in track. You are wearing blinders of you can't see that it works both ways.

You also pointed out that she started logging high mileage in the 2006 cross season and then in the following 2007 spring track season she consistently ran 2:02 (one of her better seasons). I'm not quite sure where your correlation of intense xc training = bad track season comes into play. The 2008 season was her "off" season in which she ran 2:05 which would lead me to believe that is was something else bothering her that maybe led to a "down" year. This year, it would seem that if she is the fifth runner on an 11th place national cross country team, she was probably doing some pretty decent training and now the following track season has started pretty well. Seems to me that the one season supports your argument, one season supports my argument, and this current season is still up in the air but definitely leaning my direction.

Maybe we should take this disucussion over to letsrun.com....haha

airwaveslave
02-11-2009, 10:27 PM
sorry for the thread drift...i'm done

It would be fun to watch the two Laura's race each other, but I doubt it happens.

Castor Troy
02-12-2009, 12:42 AM

It would be fun to watch the two Laura's race each other, but I doubt it happens.

I am sorry as well. I am not ignoring your thread, but I don't want to keep straying off topic. You good points, I have trained many athletes in the 800 and it is a race that calls for very specific training. Tons of miles is not necessary.

roper1313
02-12-2009, 09:22 PM

US Track and Field Championships???

tony
02-13-2009, 11:01 AM
US Track and Field Championships???

Hehe, yep - good call!

IzzyFlexion
02-13-2009, 04:39 PM
I hope this young lady (Roesler) continues to improve.
Here's my take.
Being in a profession that bears witness to athletes from all levels, I have seen countless female athletes peak prior to their senior year in high school. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it's better than 50%.

Castor Troy
02-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Here's my take.
Being in a profession that bears witness to athletes from all levels, I have seen countless female athletes peak prior to their senior year in high school. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it's better than 50%.

You are correct. When a young girl like Laura has lots of success it is usually assumed that they will start to go down hill. Not just because we have seen it before, but because she is competing at such a high level that there is no where else to go. There are some exceptions that started out fast and never let up like Jessica Neva from Jamestown, Jessie Kindschi from Century who ran for BYU, and Becky Wells who had lots of success in the SEC and I believe nationally.

Laura could be an exception when you consider her mom and dad. They had great athletic careers and are still in amazing shape.

d3boys
02-13-2009, 10:19 PM
she really struggled in cross country last fall
hope that its not the start of the dreaded female downfall

Thundering Herd
03-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Again, Laura Roesler runs 'unattached' in a college meet and squares off with Laura Hermanson...who could look into the possibility of this at NDSU and contact her, her folks, and her coach about it? This could be a great story in the Track world! Two Lauras - both in Fargo, ND - one in high school, one at NDSU - both ran in semis at US Olympic Trials last year - both posted times in the 800 that placed them among the elite in the US.... Does this give anyone else goosebumps just thinking about it? Would be great competition for both! If maybe just a race set up for charity, then I could see it being OK with the NDHSAA and NCAA....

I worked for Jeff Sornsin (taught specs and contracts in CME) for a summer. My co-workers were: My friend, Kris and also Heath Janke and Ryun Godrey!!! Maybe I'll just track down Godrey's email and pitch the idea to him and see what he thinks....

THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!!! :nod:

mebisonII
03-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Again, Laura Roesler runs 'unattached' in a college meet and squares off with Laura Hermanson...who could look into the possibility of this at NDSU and contact her, her folks, and her coach about it? This could be a great story in the Track world! Two Lauras - both in Fargo, ND - one in high school, one at NDSU - both ran in semis at US Olympic Trials last year - both posted times in the 800 that placed them among the elite in the US.... Does this give anyone else goosebumps just thinking about it? Would be great competition for both! If maybe just a race set up for charity, then I could see it being OK with the NDHSAA and NCAA....

I worked for Jeff Sornsin (taught specs and contracts in CME) for a summer. My co-workers were: My friend, Kris and also Heath Janke and Ryun Godrey!!! Maybe I'll just track down Godrey's email and pitch the idea to him and see what he thinks....

THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!!! :nod:

Wouldn't this be borderline rude to Laura Hermanson for NDSU to be involved in setting up? I've no idea who would win, but if Laura Roesler won, wouldn't it look like you just brought in a high-school kid to upstage your star? Not sure how serious you are, or whether things like this are often done in the track world, so this is actually a serious question :)

Castor Troy
03-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Wouldn't this be borderline rude to Laura Hermanson for NDSU to be involved in setting up? I've no idea who would win, but if Laura Roesler won, wouldn't it look like you just brought in a high-school kid to upstage your star? Not sure how serious you are, or whether things like this are often done in the track world, so this is actually a serious question :)

I would disagree with setting this up, but if it happened "naturally" like at the US Championships it would be a lot of fun to watch. Laura H has bigger fish to fry at the moment with the NCAAs looming for indoor and outdoor. The last thing you would want to do to your star is to schedule a potential let down.

But this does not mean that we can't predict what would happen. I will start the predictions by stating that Hermanson would take young Miss Roesler to proverbial "Handling School."

mebisonII
03-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I would disagree with setting this up, but if it happened "naturally" like at the US Championships it would be a lot of fun to watch. Laura H has bigger fish to fry at the moment with the NCAAs looming for indoor and outdoor. The last thing you would want to do to your star is to schedule a potential let down.

But this does not mean that we can't predict what would happen. I will start the predictions by stating that Hermanson would take young Miss Roesler to proverbial "Handling School."

Oh, no disagreement from me that it would be fun if it did happen...I'm not a track person at all (although a bit of a runner) and I'd be interested to see it. I just wasn't sure how serious people were about NDSU setting it up.

Its fun to see local people with national and international level talent. I live in Iowa now and everytime I'd see Shawn Johnson on TV I'd be struck by much she looks like she could be one of the girls in my church!

Castor Troy
03-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Oh, no disagreement from me that it would be fun if it did happen...I'm not a track person at all (although a bit of a runner) and I'd be interested to see it. I just wasn't sure how serious people were about NDSU setting it up.

Its fun to see local people with national and international level talent. I live in Iowa now and everytime I'd see Shawn Johnson on TV I'd be struck by much she looks like she could be one of the girls in my church!

The Bison have a red shirt freshman named Weston Leutz that took second at the world juniors for the decathalon. I think he will be the next "famous" athlete from North Dakota. He has Olympic-caliber skills and could medal someday.

Thundering Herd
03-05-2009, 11:21 PM
FYI, the Laura's squared off in the Jim Bush Invitational last year (the only time, I think) and Laura Roesler beat Hermanson. Knowing this, do you think that it would make Hermanson run harder cause she hates to lose and wouldn't want to lose against the 'high schooler' again? Don't you think that it'd be great competition to help her perform at a higher level for the USA Track championships by racing against/ training with Roesler? They are two of the top 800 runners in the country and they should take advantage of it... plus, it'd be good for NDSU to start 'working on' Roesler...

DORMIE
03-06-2009, 02:22 AM
Bottom line, hopefully Laura Roesler will realize the talent and future with the likes of Hermanson, Brost, Carlson etc. and will want to run close to home at NDSU. We travel the country just like Florida and all the bigs. It would be awesome to have Laura Roesler as a Bison.

Castor Troy
03-06-2009, 03:25 AM
Hermanson is on a different level right now. I don't think that it would be close.

roper1313
03-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Hermanson is on a different level right now. I don't think that it would be close.

How do their PRs match up. Last year Roesler was significantly faster time wise. I know Hermanson has dropped her times by quite a bit, but by how much?

Dormie, that would be great to see one of ND's all time greats stay at home.

Yellow
03-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Bottom line, hopefully Laura Roesler will realize the talent and future with the likes of Hermanson, Brost, Carlson etc. and will want to run close to home at NDSU. We travel the country just like Florida and all the bigs. It would be awesome to have Laura Roesler as a Bison.

Laura has not shown very much interest in coming to NDSU, she is a great athlete and knows she can probably go anywhere she wants

Yellow
03-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Here's my take.

Girls peak so much faster than boys/men...then the girls body just changes dramatically with the angle of their hips (Q angle) and so forth. Thats why you see a lot more female athletes with acl tears

Castor Troy
03-06-2009, 04:03 PM
How do their PRs match up. Last year Roesler was significantly faster time wise. I know Hermanson has dropped her times by quite a bit, but by how much?

Dormie, that would be great to see one of ND's all time greats stay at home.

Roesler- 2:03.08
Hernamson- 2:03.76

Hermanson is ranked 5th in the nation with 2:04.54. She will go faster at nationals and then outdoor season starts. Judging by her mile time she is much stronger than last year. Hermanson will PR the first time she runs the 800 outdoors.

mebisonII
03-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Girls peak so much faster than boys/men...then the girls body just changes dramatically with the angle of their hips (Q angle) and so forth. Thats why you see a lot more female athletes with acl tears

Somewhat off topic, but I'll ask anyways...I have a 40+ year-old coworker who competed in a half-Ironman triatholon* a couple years ago and won her demographic. Out of curiousity, I looked at her time vs. the young-20s age group to see how she would have done, and she would have won that demographic too. Then I looked closer and realized that the top 1/3 to 1/2 of her demographic would have won the 20ish bracket.

Is this common, and if so, does that tend to be a physiologic thing, or more of a mental/training/discipline thing for women in endurance-type events?

*the same coworker did the full Ironman in Madison a year before and was only a couple places off qualifying for the big one in Hawaii. When she was training for that sometimes she'd show up to meetings in a sleave-less shirt and I couldn't help staring at her biceps...larger than both of my scrawny arms combined!

Castor Troy
03-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Somewhat off topic, but I'll ask anyways...I have a 40+ year-old coworker who competed in a half-Ironman triatholon* a couple years ago and won her demographic. Out of curiousity, I looked at her time vs. the young-20s age group to see how she would have done, and she would have won that demographic too. Then I looked closer and realized that the top 1/3 to 1/2 of her demographic would have won the 20ish bracket.

Is this common, and if so, does that tend to be a physiologic thing, or more of a mental/training/discipline thing for women in endurance-type events?

*the same coworker did the full Ironman in Madison a year before and was only a couple places off qualifying for the big one in Hawaii. When she was training for that sometimes she'd show up to meetings in a sleave-less shirt and I couldn't help staring at her biceps...larger than both of my scrawny arms combined!

I woulld say that this is common for women in ultra-endurance events. For instance, the marathon certainly equalizes the genders. When I was 25 I ran a 2:54 in the Twin Cities Marathon. Now this is a pretty good time, but I was beaten by 4 women over the age of 40. The longer the event the more overlap there is among men and women. Both men and women peak later in the endurance events.

There is a woman from Bismarck that I believe used to be one of the best in the world in the triathalon. I think her last name is Carvell.

Yellow
03-08-2009, 06:42 AM
I woulld say that this is common for women in ultra-endurance events. For instance, the marathon certainly equalizes the genders. When I was 25 I ran a 2:54 in the Twin Cities Marathon. Now this is a pretty good time, but I was beaten by 4 women over the age of 40. The longer the event the more overlap there is among men and women. Both men and women peak later in the endurance events.

There is a woman from Bismarck that I believe used to be one of the best in the world in the triathalon. I think her last name is Carvell.

Yes I could definitely see ultra endurance events equalize demographics to a point (teens, 20's-30's....40+ could start stretching it), but i am not 100% sure on gender. I am not a huge endurance/marathon follower since i spend 99% of my time training explosive movements, but if i remember correctly, in marathons the top 10-15 men usually beat the #1 womens time. Now there could be a difference depending on what marathon you are looking at....say the Grandmas marathon vs the Boston Marathon. I am not saying older women can not beat you or I in a marathon because i know i would get my butt kicked, just that in elite athletes, males will just pull ahead based on physiology.

Thundering Herd
03-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Getting off topic maybe?
"Bring on the competition?" Well, a good competitor for Hermanson, to light a hotter flame under her ass, is right there in Fargo. Would Roesler run in the Bison Open if given the chance? It would help them both 'step up their game' and run some great times. I don't see it as a 'slap in Hermanson's face' to run against a high schooler. Remember, this high schooler made it to the semis in the Olympic Trials...

Yellow
03-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Getting off topic maybe?
"Bring on the competition?" Well, a good competitor for Hermanson, to light a hotter flame under her ass, is right there in Fargo. Would Roesler run in the Bison Open if given the chance? It would help them both 'step up their game' and run some great times. I don't see it as a 'slap in Hermanson's face' to run against a high schooler. Remember, this high schooler made it to the semis in the Olympic Trials...

I am sure Roesler would run if given the chance. Now her coach letting her is a different story. I believe she is already scheduled to run at a National meet in Boston coming up (right city??). No way should it be a slap in the face to run against Roesler, I actually think she has the faster time in the 800. The kid is a stud, but I think Hermanson probably is a little more mentally tough at the moment.

tony
03-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Getting off topic maybe?

You don't think Hermanson is motivated enough? What gives you that idea anyway? :confused:

In less than a week, Laura Hermanson is going to be competing for a DI national championship. That's good competition and probably her main focus. Anyway, she's been running against good competition. I mean, she did make the finals of the Olympic Trials, and when she set NDSU's 800 indoor record a couple weeks ago, she was running against two former national champions! She also ran XC this fall and has been running the mile this spring, presumably to help in the 800m. She seems pretty motivated already, if you ask me. :)

Anyway the Bison Open was over a month ago so unless Roesler jumps into a time machine, I think you're outa luck. I suppose NDSU could invite her to the Bison Invitational... not sure if the NDHSAA would allow that though.

Yellow
03-08-2009, 07:19 PM
You don't think Hermanson is motivated enough? What gives you that idea anyway? :confused:

In less than a week, Laura Hermanson is going to be competing for a DI national championship. That's good competition and probably her main focus. Anyway, she's been running against good competition. I mean, she did make the finals of the Olympic Trials, and when she set NDSU's 800 indoor record a couple weeks ago, she was running against two former national champions! She also ran XC this fall and has been running the mile this spring, presumably to help in the 800m. She seems pretty motivated already, if you ask me. :)

Anyway the Bison Open was over a month ago so unless Roesler jumps into a time machine, I think you're outa luck. I suppose NDSU could invite her to the Bison Invitational... not sure if the NDHSAA would allow that though.

Good call on the Bison Open already completed, i even was there and didnt pick up on that. Maybe I found that time machine

Castor Troy
03-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Someone stated earlier that NDSU could use a showdown between the Lauras to "start working on Roesler" which is why Lars and Ryun would not even try to set it up. Also, being around track my whole life, this is just not what we do in track and field. If the showdown happens at the US Championships or at a Jim Bush type meet, then great! I'll be there. But advertising a showdown for the 2 and hyping it up is too much like a circus and not appropriate for a sport that is hundreds of years old.

In other words, if anyone approached Lars or Ryun about this they would be polite, but later go behind a tree and have a good chuckle. :nod:

Castor Troy
03-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Well, it looks like Roesler came from behind to win a national meet. She ran a 2:08.8. This race would not be very competitive right now, but in the summer this race between the Lauras would be a bit closer and not the 4-5 second there is now.

airwaveslave
03-20-2009, 07:58 PM
video of the roesler's race here...

http://www.dyestat.com/?pg=videos&vid=FB877703AD35D313&cat=search&page=3&search=09NIN&meetname=

Castor Troy
03-20-2009, 09:26 PM
video of the roesler's race here...

http://www.dyestat.com/?pg=videos&vid=FB877703AD35D313&cat=search&page=3&search=09NIN&meetname=

Holy Crap! She spots her a 20 meter lead and kicks her down in the end. If you notice on the last turn she caught up so quickly to her that it looked like she took a short cut. Very impressive!

lakesbison
03-25-2009, 05:13 AM
That Was Crazy Video!!

daherd
04-08-2009, 02:37 AM
I would like to see them square off at the Howard Wood in Sioux Falls. The stadium is usually packed for that meet. I don't believe the college athletes run against the hs athletes at the Wood though.

Last time I attended the meet I watched Tveidt high jump around 6'11 his senior year of high school. I remember how excited I was to know that the bison bball team was getting that athletic of a kid. Sorry got off topic.

IzzyFlexion
04-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Holy Crap! She spots her a 20 meter lead and kicks her down in the end. If you notice on the last turn she caught up so quickly to her that it looked like she took a short cut. Very impressive!

If she had a better start and jumped to the front right away she shaves off a significant amount of time. She was pinned in various positions for the first 600 or so.

roper1313
04-13-2009, 01:56 PM
If she had a better start and jumped to the front right away she shaves off a significant amount of time. She was pinned in various positions for the first 600 or so.

She's so smooth it didn't even look like she was pushing it in the final 100. I know she was, but she just cruised to the tape.

Does anyone know who is contacting her? I'd assume it's a who's who of D1 track.

Castor Troy
04-13-2009, 02:22 PM
She's so smooth it didn't even look like she was pushing it in the final 100. I know she was, but she just cruised to the tape.

Does anyone know who is contacting her? I'd assume it's a who's who of D1 track.

I do not have specific schools, but I think the key is whoever impresses Laura's mother. Her mom is very knowledgeable and is a very good coach, so it would have to be someone that Karen would tip her hat to when it came to who was going to coach her daughter. She is a very nice and kind person, but when you are as good as coach as she is you expect to have the college coach be very accomplished.

airwaveslave
04-16-2009, 04:53 AM
Found this online. This article was written before Roesler's Nike Indoor Nationals win in March. It sort of explains what she was going through last fall and why she didn't finish the XC season.

http://www.dyestat.com/?pg=us-2009-Indoor-Track-NIN-Laura-Roesler-feature

tony
04-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Found this online. This article was written before Roesler's Nike Indoor Nationals win in March. It sort of explains what she was going through last fall and why she didn't finish the XC season.

Great find! She's a phenomenal athlete - glad she took a break and refound her stride.

sambini
04-17-2009, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the link. Great young lady from a great family.

td577
04-18-2009, 04:36 AM
Laura has not shown very much interest in coming to NDSU, she is a great athlete and knows she can probably go anywhere she wants

Where has Roesler shown interest in going?

I am curious because I haven't heard her talk about any school.

Castor Troy
04-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Where has Roesler shown interest in going?

I am curious because I haven't heard her talk about any school.

I would be interested in an answer as well since we have athletes on the team right now that could have gone anywhere and they chose the Bison, such as Leutz, Killoran, and Brost.

Anyone recruiting Laura also needs to recruit her mother. Obviously Ryun already knows her from recruiting Emily, so that is a plus. They may have already made up their mind that NDSU is not the place. It will be fun to speculate where she is going when we get closer to her senior year. The Gophers will go after her as will Iowa State since Williston grad Corey Ihmels is coaching for the Cyclones. Right now, the place to go for middle distance is Tennessee, but the Gophers are right up there with them.

Getting back on topic, I think that we will see a showdown between the Lauras eventually. My prediction is that we will see them square off when Roesler is in college and Hermanson is working the Grand Prix circuit in preparation for the US Championships.