PDA

View Full Version : Who Will 'Lead' the Bison in 2009?

CaBisonFan
02-07-2009, 06:05 PM
So what do you think folks?

Who will anchor the 2009 Bison team?

Who will lead?

Who will emerge?

Who will be strong role players?

Where are the strengths or potential weaknesses?

What redshirt freshmen will make an impact...if any?

Are there any true freshmen that will not redshirt because of the need, or because they're truly exceptional athletes that can't be held back by a redshirt year?

Much to your likely amazement, I don't have a lot of strong opinions here. Just some comments about two players.

I'm a big fan of Matt Voigtlander. I think he's the real deal, and should play a big role in the next 3 years. I'd give him the ball...a LOT.

My darkhorse is Blake Sczepanski from Stephen-Argyle. I'm not even sure what his status is. My opinion of him is biased, because good friends from Stephen say that without Blake, there wouldn't have been the big winning streak, or the consecutive championships during his four years of starting. He was absolutely dominant. And one of the top coaches on the staff told my brother than Blake was going to be a real stud...even though he was a prefered walk-on. Apparently, his academics (and possibly financial need) were strong enough that they were able to get him through his freshman year without an athletic scholarship.

Jdubs21
02-07-2009, 06:08 PM
So what do you think folks?

Who will anchor the 2009 Bison team?

Who will lead?

Who will emerge?

Who will be strong role players?

Where are the strengths or potential weaknesses?

What redshirt freshmen will make an impact...if any?

Are there any true freshmen that will not redshirt because of the need, or because they're truly exceptional athletes that can't be held back by a redshirt year?

Much to your likely amazement, I don't have a lot of strong opinions here. Just some comments about two players.

I'm a big fan of Matt Voigtlander. I think he's the real deal, and should play a big role in the next 3 years. I'd give him the ball...a LOT.

My darkhorse guy is Blake Sczepanski from Stephen-Argyle. I'm not even sure what his status is. My opinion of him is biased, because good friends from Stephen say that without Blake, there wouldn't have been the big winning streak, or the consecutive championships during his four years of starting. He was absolutely dominant. And one of the top coaches on the staff told my brother than Blake was going to be a real stud...even though he was a prefered walkon.

I agree, voightlander is a stud, the resemblance of him and steffes is unreal, but on another note i really think this is going to be DJ's breakout year, i think the year of redshirting and the first yaer playing behind roehl took some of his confidence away, when its him and voightlander competeing against each other i think its a whole new ball game for DJ

lakesbison
02-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Mertens with Pat and DJ split back will be sweet, then you bring in voit and blinky *blincoe* and just reload.

Jdubs21
02-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Lakes u shoulda interviewed for the o-coordinator position

tjbison
02-07-2009, 06:27 PM
I see this thread ultimatly ending up in the HOS:hide:

I hope the Seniors step up and Motivate, IMO that was the biggest thing missing last year, I watched the SHSU, Minnesota and Western Illinois game from 07 and wow was Mays a Leader. Joe kept Humber, Lardnois, Maresh and boys PUMPED!! Roehl and Walker together on Offense kept them going we had nothing like that last year. So as far who will lead, Its a toss up hopefully they are like a pack of wolves and a ALPHA male steps up!

lakesbison
02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
OH, Ive been in Vigen's ear already.....

Mertens in shot gun with those DJ and Pat flanking him.

Lots of quick passes to TE and to the flats with these guys.!

or Rolling him out with Veldman TE , Central Fro dude and Jordan s. flooding that side of the field.

TOUCHDOWN BISON!!

SlickVic
02-07-2009, 07:17 PM
its ultimatley up to the vig myster but my oh my does he have some toys to play with...i really think if that offense is run the right way it can be the definition of unstoppable...with the weapons at wideout wow i dont follow fcs all that closley but theres no way we dont have a top 5 wide recieving unit in fcs football...as far as "break out" years id say pat paschall for sure as well as jordan "showtime" shultenover...im just jacked to see what vigen is going to do with all the talent he has at his disposel...i got my popcorn ready thats for sure ;)

Jdubs21
02-07-2009, 07:20 PM
as long as we can pass the ball better it should open up the run...we saw what happened last year when we became 1 dimensional

SDbison
02-08-2009, 12:59 AM
OH, Ive been in Vigen's ear already.....

Mertens in shot gun with those DJ and Pat flanking him.

Lots of quick passes to TE and to the flats with these guys.!

or Rolling him out with Veldman TE , Central Fro dude and Jordan s. flooding that side of the field.

TOUCHDOWN BISON!!
You forget Lakes......Mertens has to pass accurately and use his head and throw the ball away now an then. Something he had big trouble with last year.

CaBisonFan
02-08-2009, 01:08 AM
If Lakes is right about the shotgun...we're in better shape. Again...it's my belief than when Mertens takes the snap and has to roll out or turn, he loses valuable time and his vision of the field. The shotgun might, I say 'might' be a whole different thing for him.

NDSUFan_Sav
02-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Lakes u shoulda interviewed for the o-coordinator position

he can't, he needs to own the west lot prior to games and enjoy the ladies and bison bombs....thought you knew lakes better then that!

unbison
02-09-2009, 02:51 AM
Lakes did but they determined he would lose to much recruiting and film watching if he was actually on staff

sambini
02-14-2009, 08:29 PM
2009 The Seniors WILL LEAD US+++

A1pigskin
02-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Spring camp will tell all of us a lot more. We definitely missed the leadership last year. Right now, it's too early to say.