PDA

View Full Version : Practice Fri 02/06/09

roadwarrior
02-06-2009, 09:17 PM
The Bison practiced today in historic Hinkle Fieldhouse.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/230201/group/home/

HandoEX
02-06-2009, 09:28 PM
The Bison practiced today in historic Hinkle Fieldhouse.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/230201/group/home/

Saul talked a little about this today on Hammer's show. What a cool experience for the guys!

IzzyFlexion
02-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Very cool.
Now onto the next venue tomorrow night....Indianapolis' largest grammer school gymnasium.

IndyBison
02-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Very cool.
Now onto the next venue tomorrow night....Indianapolis' largest grammer school gymnasium.

I think there are a few grammar schools with bigger gyms! IUPUI (pronounced ooey-pooey BTW) may eventually get a bigger following but they are far down the sports food chain in this city. They have a well known coach and he recruits some great athletes though.

Hinkle is awesome!! I've seen a couple games there. My neighbor is the play-by-play guy for their basketball team and I keep telling him they need to schedule the Bison. They can seat about 10k there and they usually get at least 7-8k. I'd love to see the Bison play there.

lakesbison
02-06-2009, 11:31 PM
they got the story wrong .. its HICKORY... not milan, that was the other team.

IndyBison
02-06-2009, 11:34 PM
they got the story wrong .. its HICKORY... not milan, that was the other team.

Hickory is the name of the school in the movie. Milan is the school the movie is based on. The real team beat Muncie South and I think that's the opponent in the movie as well. It would be like Harvey beating Fargo South for the state championship. Hasn't happened since and people still complain that Indiana should have a single class tournament for all the Milans out there. They moved to a 4-class tournament about 8 years ago and people still whine.

Thundering Herd
02-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Hickory is the name of the school in the movie. Milan is the school the movie is based on. The real team beat Muncie South and I think that's the opponent in the movie as well. It would be like Harvey beating Fargo South for the state championship. Hasn't happened since and people still complain that Indiana should have a single class tournament for all the Milans out there. They moved to a 4-class tournament about 8 years ago and people still whine.

I tought it was like South Bend Central that they played for the title in the movie? I think the latest DVD (anniversary edition) had all of the info and original players on it. It also included the original game video. Pretty cool. Good movie for Saul's boys to watch before they enter the NCAA tournament WHEN they make it!

"Why didn't you take the fast break?" Saul asks. "Minimum four passes before we shoot." said Nels. "Fundamentals" states Winks. "OK, OK, you guys musta watched Hoosiers last night. Time for one last shot. Who's taking it?" Asks Saul. "I'll make it." woody proclaims!

This team reminds me of the 'Milan miracle' team that inspired Hoosiers. They are very talented, but not the most talented out there. They have good team chemistry and TONS of heart! They work hard and don't complain or make excuses. They've already given us games that we'll be talking about for a long time and they deserve our respect regardless of what happens! Good luck guys! Inspire a movie!!! :nod:

IzzyFlexion
02-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I think there are a few grammar schools with bigger gyms! IUPUI (pronounced ooey-pooey BTW) may eventually get a bigger following but they are far down the sports food chain in this city. They have a well known coach and he recruits some great athletes though.

Hinkle is awesome!! I've seen a couple games there. My neighbor is the play-by-play guy for their basketball team and I keep telling him they need to schedule the Bison. They can seat about 10k there and they usually get at least 7-8k. I'd love to see the Bison play there.

Not trying to offend you, Indy, with my string of comments regarding ooey-pooey's facilities. It just seems so odd to have D-1 b-ball at such a small venue. In an overall sense I love Indianapolis. Have spent quite a lot of time there.
I love the "ooey-pooey" moniker.

IzzyFlexion
02-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I tought it was like South Bend Central that they played for the title in the movie? I think the latest DVD (anniversary edition) had all of the info and original players on it. It also included the original game video. Pretty cool. Good movie for Saul's boys to watch before they enter the NCAA tournament WHEN they make it!

"Why didn't you take the fast break?" Saul asks. "Minimum four passes before we shoot." said Nels. "Fundamentals" states Winks. "OK, OK, you guys musta watched Hoosiers last night. Time for one last shot. Who's taking it?" Asks Saul. "I'll make it." woody proclaims!

This team reminds me of the 'Milan miracle' team that inspired Hoosiers. They are very talented, but not the most talented out there. They have good team chemistry and TONS of heart! They work hard and don't complain or make excuses. They've already given us games that we'll be talking about for a long time and they deserve our respect regardless of what happens! Good luck guys! Inspire a movie!!! :nod:

In 1985 Erv played Hoosiers on a makeshift VCR on a charter bus on the way to USD. His attempt at inspiration was somewhat folied, however, as half the bus was asleep about an hour into it.:)

IndyBison
02-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Not trying to offend you, Indy, with my string of comments regarding ooey-pooey's facilities. It just seems so odd to have D-1 b-ball at such a small venue. In an overall sense I love Indianapolis. Have spent quite a lot of time there.
I love the "ooey-pooey" moniker.
No offense taken at all. I had never been to an IUPUI game until last year's Bison game so I'm a good example of a huge sports fan who never took the time to go. The Summit has a combination of schools in big cities that are largely afterthoughts in their markets (UMKC, IUPUI) and schools that are are "the show" and have strong alumni followings (NDSU, SDSU, ORU to an extent although they compete with Tulsa). I could put Oakland in the latter group but they are a suburb of Detroit. I think they have a decent alumni following as well. As a university, I think NDSU will ultimately be a better fit for the MAC or MVC. The schools are more similar to us. The Summit does have some very good teams though and I'm glad I get to see at least one game in person every year.

It's not very likely that NDSU will make the Midwest Regional (Sweet 16) this year but I will get to be a team host again this year. How could would that be though to host Saul and the boys!