PDA

View Full Version : House Bill 1507 - Mandated Rivalry Game

DIBISON
02-01-2009, 07:26 PM
The House Education Committee will be voting on HB 1507 at 8:00 AM Wednesday February 4th. This bill mandates that NDSU & UND schedule an annual football game beginning in 2009 on an alternating home and home basis.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-2009/bill-actions/ba1507.html

Members of the House Education Committee can be reached by email or by leaving a voice message at 1-888-635-3447 or 701-328-3373 for Bismarck-Mandan callers.

The members of the House Education Commitee and their email addresses are as follows:

Lyle Hanson *Jamestown *lhanson@nd.gov
Brenda Heller *Beulah *bheller@nd.gov
Bob Hunskor *Newburg *bhunshor@nd.gov
Dennis Johnson *Devils Lake *djohnson@nd.gov
Karen Karls *Bismarck *kkarls@nd.gov
Raeann Kelsch *Mandan *rkelsch@nd.gov
Jerome Kelsh *Fullerton *jkelsh@nd.gov
Lisa Meier *Bismarck *lmeier@nd.gov
Corey Mock *UND Grand Forks *Crmock@nd.gov***********Bill Sponser
Phillip Mueller *Valley City *pmueller@nd.gov
Lee Myxter *Fargo *lmyxter@nd.gov
David Rust *Tioga *drust@nd.gov
Michael Schatz *New England *mischatz@nd.gov
John Wall *Wahpeton *jwall@nd.gov

bisonpride4ever
02-01-2009, 07:34 PM
The House Education Committee will be voting on HB 1507 at 8:00 AM Wednesday February 4th. This bill mandates that NDSU & UND schedule an annual football game beginning in 2009 on an alternating home and home basis.

Members of the House Education Committee can be reached by email or by leaving a voice message at 1-888-635-3447 or 701-328-3373 for Bismarck-Mandan callers.

The members of the House Education Commitee and their email addresses are as follows:

Bob Hunskor, coaching legend

Thundering Herd
02-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Bob Hunskor, coaching legend
Bob Hunskor, Sioux fan (Westhope Sioux - how offensive!!! :D And yes, I know he's from Newburg)

Why does the fate of this bill rest on the House EDUCATION Committee? What does this game have to do with education other than it's played by college students? F**king stupid-ass bill!!!

Hammersmith
02-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Bob Hunskor, Sioux fan (Westhope Sioux - how offensive!!! :D And yes, I know he's from Newburg)

Why does the fate of this bill rest on the House EDUCATION Committee? What does this game have to do with education other than it's played by college students? F**king stupid-ass bill!!!

The committee will only make a recommendation about the bill. That recommendation will be included when it's time for the entire legislature to vote on it.

roadwarrior
02-01-2009, 08:29 PM
It was assigned to the education committee becuase so far the legislature does not have a football scheduling committee :D

Hammersmith
02-01-2009, 09:32 PM
It was assigned to the education committee becuase so far the legislature does not have a football scheduling committee :D

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!!!!

:D

Thundering Herd
02-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Here's my response to this lame-ass bill (I know I kinda missed the other large thread pertaining to this):

Farmers vs. Flickertails

The American Civil War was fought from 1861-1865. It divided this country during that time and for many years after the last shot was fired. Fargo was the site of a battle twenty-nine years after the civil war ended. It was there, on November 3rd., 1894, where the Farmers and the Flickertails fought for the first time. It was time for the residents of North Dakota to choose sides! During the years, the mascots changed, a ‘Nickel’ was cast, and the rivalry grew more and more intense. The mighty Bison, fearing that they were falling behind and yearning for better competition, made the choice one day (along with their brethren from South Dakota State University) to make the leap from being a Division II university, to Division I. When asked to come with, UND said something to the effect of “no thanks”. An invitation to UND to continue to play NDSU in athletics returned another “no thanks”. Fans were shocked, could this be true? Didn’t UND want anything to do with NDSU anymore? Well, the football schedules came out and yes, they weren’t going to play each other! NDSU/SDSU had it’s bumps and bruises, but came out of the transitional period stronger, better. Upon seeing this, UND decided to give it a shot. They found it a bit more difficult as the timing wasn’t as good. They had a hard time with scheduling, their mascot, and personnel. They needed help! “Hello, NDSU? Yes, it’s us, UND. We’d like to play you again.” Well, the tables had turned. The timing wasn’t quite right for them to start playing again!!!

There are a couple of reasons for this rivalry to continue: it’s one of the oldest in the country in college football, and because of the close proximity of the two schools. But, there are many reasons why this game should not be played for a few more years.

First of all, NDSU is in the Summit League for all sports but wrestling and football. The commissioner has warned members of the Summit League to not schedule UND in any sports and won’t consider them (UND) for conference membership until the mascot/logo issues have been resolved.

Secondly, they shouldn’t play for a couple more years until things cool down a little more. Die-hards from both sides still mercilessly taunt each other back-and-forth at the office, on the internet, at family reunions (personal experience),…etc. It used to be a week-long celebration of hate for each other culminating with a football game that could’ve decided the conference champion and who goes to the playoffs. Now, it’s just another football game that divides the State with no benefit for either party.

The rivalry won’t mean as much as it did before. UND and NDSU used to be foes in the North Central Conference in Division II football. Every matchup could’ve decided the conference title when they would play. Now, they are both in the Football Championship Subdivision (or FCS- formerly DI-AA), but in different conferences: UND is in the Great West Conference and NDSU is in the traditionally tough Missouri Valley FB Conference. Either side has nothing to gain but the ‘Nickel Trophy’ and a nickel’s worth of publicity from outside of the State.

The schedule is so much more difficult. Currently, the FCS season is about 13 weeks long. Of that, NDSU has: 8 hard-fought conference games, two games where they’d like to schedule traditionally-tough FCS teams for better competition/exposure and 1 FBS opponent. This schedule leaves them with two bye weeks to rest and heal which is needed to be competitive if they make the playoffs. Seven wins may get you into the playoffs, but at least 8 is preferred. They cannot afford one more game with UND until they are playing at the level of an upper-rated FCS program. When that day comes, then by all means, they should play. Every other year would be the best scenario though, affording both sides to play more teams from outside of the region as well as more home games (money-makers!).

Because of the difficulty of the schedule, recruiting is so much more intense in FCS football if you want to put a competitive team on the field. With UND and the University of South Dakota’s move up to Division I athletics to join NDSU and SDSU, that makes 4 universities in ND and SD at the Division I level now. The Dakotas do yield some Division I talent, but not enough to support 4 programs. Because of this, NDSU wants national exposure, not regional. It would be in UND’s best interest to schedule competition from around the country as well!

NDSU football is more popular than ever. With almost all home games being sellouts and with the Fargodome’s larger capacity (19,000+ for FB and opposed to the Alerus Center’s 13,500) it would be beneficial financially for both sides if they played in Fargo more often in Grand Forks. Division I athletics is not cheap (more scholarships and travel to pay for) and the more money that’s made, the better. The cost of a Bison/Sioux FB game ticket in 2003 was around $27.50. Today, it would be around $35.00 (?). 5,500 extra fans in the Fargodome at $35.00/each amounts to $192,500.00 extra that’s made when the game is in Fargo. NDSU could guarantee UND more money for a game in Fargo. How much could UND pay NDSU? Both sides would lose money.

In summary: UND needs to resolve the issue with it’s mascot and logo! Playing UND in football doesn’t help NDSU with the playoff picture right now. It doesn’t help either side with gaining national exposure, making it easier to attract boosters/raise funds and find better recruits. Financially, it makes no sense for NDSU to play UND in Grand Forks when they could schedule another game at the Fargodome. The final reason for them to not play quite yet is the respect/hate issues. This is not just a FB game anymore with post-season consequences, it’s a hatefest that divides ND with it’s own ‘Mason-Dixon Line’. According to a 1975 Fargo Forum article: the two schools broke off all athletic ties for brief periods in 1903 and 1907 because the rivalry became so intense. That was over 100 years ago!!! It’s been six years since the Bison have played the Sioux. Give it two more years to settle down and for UND to ‘learn the ropes’ and get used to this level of competition. NDSU, UND and their respective fans aren’t going anywhere as you can see, so give it a little more time! These two schools will play again someday! We don’t need to tell them when.

Thank you.

Joe Spencer (hee hee, not real name, but my drunken alter-ego!)
Bismarck, ND
NDSU alum (UND hockey fan :hide: )

*I plan on forwarding this on to the committee members. Revisions? Other ideas? Comments? Donations to the Joe Spencer Fund? (increments of twenty only! ;) )

bisonaudit
02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I thought this thing was dead?

lakesbison
02-02-2009, 03:10 PM
no.. LAKES got rep Kelsh to take his name off as a sponsor.

bill wont go anywhere.

Bison"FANatic"
02-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Unless a bill is pulled by all sponsors in ND it will have a committee vote and a full house vote. The Committee vote is sort of a advisory vote to the full house even if it gets voted down in committee it is still voted on by the full house.

Herd
02-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Trust me, back in the day Bob wasn't much of a Westhope Sioux fan. :) He didn't take to kindly to dropping one to the Sioux.

RedRiver
02-03-2009, 02:37 PM

I just sent my opinion to the committee members by email.

4mcruenomore
02-04-2009, 04:11 AM
Anybody going to the committee hearing tomorrow?

RedRiver
02-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Not sure what the House Education Committee recommended this morning, but I just heard on the radio that Cory Moch, a bill sponsor, said that he is willing to change the legislation from a bill which mandates the game to be scheduled, to a resolution that would encourage the game to be played. This is a result of many critical comments!!

Bison"FANatic"
02-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Maybe he should just pull the whole dang thing and "GET THE ^*^*&^* TO WORK". There are more important items to deal with in this state and he should stop bothering the legislators with this.

roadwarrior
02-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Way to get your work done! Results out in Bismarck this morning:

The committee took no immediate action.

RedRiver
02-04-2009, 03:38 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/apArticle/id/D964QP4O0/

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/229968/group/home/

bisonmike2
02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
This crap is so ridiculous. We'll play UND again sometime soon and it shouldn't be forced. We already have 8 mandatory games with our conference, most seasons we can only schedule 11 total games. By forcing us to schedule UND, the legislatures would unfairly be taking one of the 3 flexible dates/opponents away from NDSU all because UND and it's administrators are incapable of filling their own scheduling and making their team appealing enough to a conference that has more than 4 other teams. It's bullshiat that they are even bringing this up in the legislature. I'm sure when they are done with this issue they'll begin figuring out how to funnel stimulus money to UND to help them pay for their name change. Watch, it's coming.

tjbison
02-04-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/229968/group/home/

Looks like its going to DIE!!!:D :D

westriver bison
02-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Rep. Heller told me on Monday this would be the result. I would have let you in on the secret but it was too much fun to watch the :banghead:

tjbison
02-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Rep. Heller told me on Monday this would be the result. I would have let you in on the secret but it was too much fun to watch the :banghead:

I had heard the same thing earlier from a reliable source, but wanted PROOF before releasing it to the Wolves!!!;)

GradBison
02-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Officially Dead. 90 to 3 (GF co-sponsors) was the vote.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/230665/