PDA

View Full Version : # of home games, only 5???

bisoneer
02-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Is it true there will be only 5 home games at the Dome this year? Or could there be 6?

4mcruenomore
02-01-2009, 01:36 AM
I heard 5. Doesn't matter, sent in my season ticket renewal yesterday.

Herd
02-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Well let's do the math, the schedule on gobison.com shows 10 games in the book, 6 of which are on the road. I suppose its a priority to get a 5th home game, probably against an FCS opponent.

Therefore, 6 home games is out of the question for 2009. When we have 11 games, we will most likely have 6 home games some years and 5 other years.

The Breakdown:
8 conf (4 home)
1 FBS (road)
2 FCS games

The last two will sometimes both be at home, but other years 1 will be on the road. This year with the one at Sam Houston, we'll have 5 at home.

Hammersmith
02-01-2009, 02:14 AM
I might be wrong, but I think the SHSU away game is a remnant of the GWFC days when we were desperate for games. I don't expect many 5 home games seasons in the years to come. I think we'll try to schedule the back ends of home/home's during the years we're allowed 12 games. We are one of the few FCS schools that bring in enough gate to pay for 1 game guarantees.

Herd
02-01-2009, 12:15 PM
5 homes games every other year should be the norm if you want qulality games with good FCS opponents in a home/home series with 1 of your remaining two FCS games. This is perfectly fine with me.

But if you just want your six home games each year, then they'll be against "junk" opponents and Lower level teams (ala MT). If its all about home games (which it shouldn't be IMO), they quality goes out the door. If it's all about 6 homes games, then you'll be playing DII's and FCS 0 schollies. Lots of choices for what to complaint about isn't there?

The other factor is starting up an annual Sioux game. If we do that, then we've just tied our hands to get a Quality FCS game outside our Conference/Sioux series. If we play the Sioux annually (1/2 at home), then we guarantee ourselves of 5 home games every other year and potential "Junk" for the last FCS game. If you do home/home with quality opponents, the sioux game and an FBS game every year, you open up the door for 4 home games on a given year, not good. Obviously, the average fan and the ND Legislature doesn't have a clue as to what it takes to put together a football schedule.

Sorry, but I'm not in favor of locking into an annual Sioux game. I think the legislature needs a scheduling lesson to understand the implications at NDSU.

Herd
02-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I might be wrong, but I think the SHSU away game is a remnant of the GWFC days when we were desperate for games. I don't expect many 5 home games seasons in the years to come. I think we'll try to schedule the back ends of home/home's during the years we're allowed 12 games. We are one of the few FCS schools that bring in enough gate to pay for 1 game guarantees.

Not sure how you can say that if the sioux series is coming back. At best we would have 5 games 50% of the time with an annual sioux game, and in reality, the potential for 4. (unless you drop your FBS game) Think about it, 6 home games every year is not reality, do the math.:nod:

OldBison
02-01-2009, 03:34 PM
I think the handwriting is on the wall, we will be only having six games every other year, five home games every other year. Here is what Kolpack quoted Taylor as saying about scheduling when interviewing him about the UND legislators and the bill they introduced:

With the addition of the Gophers in 2011, and Georgia Southern already coming to the Fargodome, NDSU has space for one more nonconference game. Taylor said he wants to keep it open as the back end of a home-and-home agreement with an opponent starting in 2010.

Can't do a home-home agreement and not have 6 games one year and 5 the next.

Herd
02-01-2009, 04:30 PM
I think the handwriting is on the wall, we will be only having six games every other year, five home games every other year. Here is what Kolpack quoted Taylor as saying about scheduling when interviewing him about the UND legislators and the bill they introduced:

With the addition of the Gophers in 2011, and Georgia Southern already coming to the Fargodome, NDSU has space for one more nonconference game. Taylor said he wants to keep it open as the back end of a home-and-home agreement with an opponent starting in 2010.

Can't do a home-home agreement and not have 6 games one year and 5 the next.

Or, it could end up being 5 homes games every year:

4 Conf games home
Sioux home/home (alternate w/ Other FCS)
Other FCS: home/home
FBS away

You'd set it up so when the sioux are in Fargo, the other FCS game is Away. Therefore, 5 home games each year. If for your other FCS game you just pay a different team to come in each year, you could have the alternating 6 games/5 games, but your schedule quality would take a hit. We might be able to get a 2/1 with the sioux starting out, but later it would be alternating.

Sorry, but I don't see any scenario where we have 6 home games every year.

lakesbison
02-01-2009, 04:43 PM
No Sioux.. Shut Up!

NDSU1980
02-01-2009, 04:43 PM
We might be able to get a 2/1 with the sioux starting out, but later it would be alternating.

Sorry, but I don't see any scenario where we have 6 home games every year.

I'm still dead set against playing und in any scenario, but if worse came to worse, it should only be played in Fargo. We play on our terms or not at all. Why should we lower ourselves to playing at inferior facilities when we don't have to? But the best would be a big money FBS team and let the sioux sit.

Herd
02-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I agree and don't advocate the game either. But let's face it, if you play them every year they won't all be in Fargo.

The alternative would be a "we'll fit you in occaisonally" scenario, and play 1 game every 2 or 3 years. Then, most of them could be in fargo. Don't go suggesting that type of think to anyone wearing pale green however.

Hammersmith
02-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm not opposed to the type of schedule we had this year: 1 FBS & 2 patsies. The conference schedule of the MFVC is good enough to placate me. There will always be one or two elite teams(besides us), two to three very good teams, two average teams, and one or two bad teams. This is not the Big Sky with one elite team and a huge dropoff, or the Southland with no elites and only a couple very goods.

I guess it boils down to this: as a ticket holder, do you want to see three ooc games every two years, one of them good, or four games every two years?

We'll deal with UND when it happens.

bisonranch
02-01-2009, 08:24 PM
There will be more than 5, you're forgettign about the playoff games ;)

BearsCountry
02-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Thats typical of most of the other MVC schools as well.

Herd
02-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm not opposed to the type of schedule we had this year: 1 FBS & 2 patsies. The conference schedule of the MFVC is good enough to placate me. There will always be one or two elite teams(besides us), two to three very good teams, two average teams, and one or two bad teams. This is not the Big Sky with one elite team and a huge dropoff, or the Southland with no elites and only a couple very goods.

I guess it boils down to this: as a ticket holder, do you want to see three ooc games every two years, one of them good, or four games every two years?

We'll deal with UND when it happens.

I agree with you, but not everyone will be happy with 2 patsies. When the sioux games becomes a state expectation, things get complicated. I'd hate to never have good FCS games outside our conference however though.

BigBison
02-01-2009, 09:31 PM
This is crap we should have 6 home games. We should get a cupcake FCS team. NO SIOUX!!!! We got some tough games in the MVC and Iowa State and SHSU isnt a push over, I dont see a problem with having one easy win.

Bison101
02-02-2009, 11:08 PM
This is crap we should have 6 home games. We should get a cupcake FCS team. NO SIOUX!!!! We got some tough games in the MVC and Iowa State and SHSU isnt a push over, I dont see a problem with having one easy win.

Can't always happen YOUR way...

BigBison
02-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Can't always happen YOUR way...

Oops I forgot we have 6 away games, SHSU, Iowa State, Indiana State, SIU, WIU, SDSU

5 home games, UNI, Youngstown, Illinois State, Missouri State, and some other FCS team my bad i thought we had two open home spots.

Its going to be a tough schedule.

lakesbison
02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
YAY then we'll be 10-2

W's: Indiana State
Missouri State
Illinois State
Youngstown
SHSU
UNI
WIU
SDSU
FCS bad team

L's:
SIU
IOWA ST??

BisonNeil
02-03-2009, 01:44 AM
YAY then we'll be 10-2

W's: Indiana State
Missouri State
Illinois State
Youngstown
SHSU
UNI
WIU
SDSU
FCS bad team

L's:
SIU
IOWA ST??

Once again I volunteer to help the obvious math challenged Lakes. If NDSU loses to SIU and Iowa State as you predict, then in an 11 game season (which is all they can play next year by the way) then they will be 9-2, not 10-2. Take off your shoes and use toes, it might go better for you.

MontBison
02-03-2009, 03:24 AM
I think he is expecting us to win a playoff game?

IzzyFlexion
02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/050623/82941__ron_l.jpg
Hmm...10-2.
He could be organizing a post-game rumble in the FFD parking lot with our UNI buddies.
Hey, a win is a win.

BigBison
02-03-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ci4T_p559E

I got your back Lakes.

NDSUFan_Sav
02-03-2009, 06:30 PM

you're calling Sioux a cupcake because I would consider them worse then a cupcake game :)