PDA

View Full Version : New QB Possibilities

SDbison
01-27-2009, 05:31 PM
With just over a week to go before signing day Bohl still doesn't have a QB verbal. Most here at Bisonville understand it is important that two QB's are brought in to provide competition and possibly a new starter or better back up option for 2009 (also stabilize QB depth for the future). If the QB's signed are only mediocre the Bison may have the same kind of results during the next couple seasons. Much as this recruiting class looks good overall, the failure to bring in a top notch FCS QB will be bad news.
So here are the current QB possibilities that we know of......please comment on who is best if Westendorp not available, any rumors on transfers, etc. After Westendorp are any of these guys potentially a top notch FCS QB? Add other possibilities to list:
1. A.J. Westendorp 6'2" 208 lb Holland, MI (NDSU offer)
2. Dustin Lotzer 6'4" 215 lb Sisseton, SD (NDSU interest)
3. Tim Dondanville 6'3" 180 lb Springfield, IL (NDSU interest)
4. Brock Jensen 6'3" 210 lb Waupaca, WI (NDSU interest)
5. Brent Jorgensen 6'2" 185 lb DePere, WI (NDSU interest)
6. Jordan Adamczyk 6'2" 185 lb (NDSU interest)
FBS transfer candidate(s)?
JUCO transfer candidate(s)?

#1-5 copied from Tony's list.
Added #6 per Tourguide

OldBison
01-27-2009, 05:39 PM
With just over a week to go before signing day Bohl still doesn't have a QB signed.

Technically, no one has signed yet. Only JUCOs who have graduated can actually sign. Verbals are just that, verbals and they are not binding which is why losing Jacobs and Juckem to Ball State is of concern.

I don't think it is unusual for QBs that are 'tweeners', low FBS to FCS to higher DII, to be uncommitted at this point.

Brock Jensen is not listed on any scouting site that I can find, I would imagine him down the line and an absolute last resort, but that is a pure guess on my part.

SDbison
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Technically, no one has signed yet. Only JUCOs who have graduated can actually sign. Verbals are just that, verbals and they are not binding which is why losing Jacobs and Juckem to Ball State is of concern.

I don't think it is unusual for QBs that are 'tweeners', low FBS to FCS to higher DII, to be uncommitted at this point.

Brock Jensen is not listed on any scouting site that I can find, I would imagine him down the line and an absolute last resort, but that is a pure guess on my part.
Fixed it......I intended to say "verbal" not "signed".

bisonhusker
01-27-2009, 05:53 PM
With the talent that has been accumulated in this class, I would think a QB would love to guide this ship. Amazing class so far. Can't wait for the QB to be signed.

Also, I know Jacobs visited Ball State, but no indication about Ball State looking at Juckem. Jacobs has added two offers since he verballed to NDSU. Both of those kids are top 10 in Wisconsin, and both 2 stars. They are a huge part of this class. Tell Perles to keep his hands off these kids!!!!

msvjcpa
01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
With the talent that has been accumulated in this class, I would think a QB would love to guide this ship. Amazing class so far. Can't wait for the QB to be signed.

Also, I know Jacobs visited Ball State, but no indication about Ball State looking at Juckem. Jacobs has added two offers since he verballed to NDSU. Both of those kids are top 10 in Wisconsin, and both 2 stars. They are a huge part of this class. Tell Perles to keep his hands off these kids!!!!

I'll lay money that Perles is working his new boss hard on trying to find a scholarship for these two. If they have scholarships available at this point, it's a given they will get offers imo.

swmnbison
01-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Being from southwest mn close to the sd border I have heard good reviews on sissetons Qb before he hurt his knee, I was just wondering on if he has been offered by NDSU? At one point I heard he was garnering Big 12 interest.

SamsRams
01-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Well I posted this on the recruiting page, but I don't think anyone noticed. Either that or I am being ignored :hide:

http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/7273/

Canyon quarterback Jordan Adamczyk is also contemplating his college career.

The 6-feet-2-inch, 185-pounder has been contacted by Southern Utah, Fresno State, University of San Diego, Idaho State and North Dakota State.

Adamczyk completed his first year as a starter at the helm of the Cowboys offense, completing 173-of-280 for 2,622 yards and 26 touchdowns. He led the Foothill League in passing yards.

http://scoutcombines.scout.com/a.z?s...=1&nid=3779480

Marlins
01-27-2009, 10:23 PM
With just over a week to go before signing day Bohl still doesn't have a QB verbal. Most here at Bisonville understand it is important that two QB's are brought in to provide competition and possibly a new starter or better back up option for 2009 (also stabilize QB depth for the future). If the QB's signed are only mediocre the Bison may have the same kind of results during the next couple seasons. Much as this recruiting class looks good overall, the failure to bring in a top notch FCS QB will be bad news.
So here are the current QB possibilities that we know of......please comment on who is best if Westendorp not available, any rumors on transfers, etc. After Westendorp are any of these guys potentially a top notch FCS QB? Add other possibilities to list:
1. A.J. Westendorp 6'2" 208# Holland, MI (NDSU offer)
2. Dustin Lotzer 6'4" 215# Sisseton, SD (NDSU interest)
3. Tim Dondanville 6'3" 180# Springfield, IL (NDSU interest)
4. Brock Jensen 6'3" 210# Waupaca, WI (NDSU interest)
5. Brent Jorgensen 6'2" 185# DePere, WI (NDSU interest)
FBS transfer candidate(s)?
JUCO transfer candidate(s)?

Rumor is Jorgensen committed to Minnesota-Duluth, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet.

Kermit
01-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Update from Hallstrom:
http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=41400

Info on Brock Jensen from Marlin:
http://www.wissports.net/sports/football/blog/message.aspx?f=113&id=951988
"Waupaca's Brock Jensen (6-3, 207) has been a true dual-threat quarterback this season, beating opponents with his arm as well as with his feet."

bisonmike2
01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Let's get the kid from SoDak. He's got good size and he wants to come here.

Kermit
01-28-2009, 04:33 PM
I've been doing a little internet digging about Taylor Davis, the QB from Arizona. He committed to Idaho in December, but Hallstrom has reported that "he's having second thoughts" and that he visited NDSU last weekend.

It turns out that Idaho landed a very highly regarded JC transfer QB on Jan 19. Brian Reader will have 3 years of eligibility at Idaho, and it is widely assumed that he will be the starter immediately. Prior to Reader's commitment, some of the folks on GoVandals.net seemed to think that Taylor Davis could challenge for the starting job as a true freshman.

In the summer prior to his senior year, the 6'4" 200 lb. Davis participated in an elite quarterback camp in Las Vegas and received this review:

"Davis might be the top QB prospect in Arizona this class. The 6-4, 200 pounder has plus arm strength, a good setup and delivery and was obviously quite accurate all day long. While not a well-known name, Davis threw with - and matched - all the best throw-for-throw.

Civil06
01-28-2009, 04:37 PM
I've been doing a little internet digging about Taylor Davis, the QB from Arizona. He committed to Idaho in December, but Hallstrom has reported that "he's having second thoughts" and that he visited NDSU last weekend.

It turns out that Idaho landed a very highly regarded JC transfer QB on Jan 19. Brian Reader will have 3 years of eligibility at Idaho, and it is widely assumed that he will be the starter immediately. Prior to Reader's commitment, some of the folks on GoVandals.net seemed to think that Taylor Davis could challenge for the starting job as a true freshman.

In the summer prior to his senior year, the 6'4" 200 lb. Davis participated in an elite quarterback camp in Las Vegas and received this review:

"Davis might be the top QB prospect in Arizona this class. The 6-4, 200 pounder has plus arm strength, a good setup and delivery and was obviously quite accurate all day long. While not a well-known name, Davis threw with - and matched - all the best throw-for-throw.

Thanks for the research!!! Let's sign him up!

tjbison
01-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Is it legal to clone someone, lets look to the future and clone some of the Bison greats!!:hide: :D :p

Hey could work!!

cvbison1
01-28-2009, 05:36 PM
any chance of a 40 year old freshman to come in and save the day like Paul Blake (Scott Bakula) does for the Texas State University Fightin' Armadillos in Necessary Roughness??? hopefully SDSU doesn't get Flat Top

bisonmike2
01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Is it legal to clone someone, lets look to the future and clone some of the Bison greats!!:hide: :D :p

Hey could work!!

Good idea. I volunteer Lakes to start collect the DNA samples.:bleh:

tjbison
01-28-2009, 05:41 PM
any chance of a 40 year old freshman to come in and save the day like Paul Blake (Scott Bakula) does for the Texas State University Fightin' Armadillos in Necessary Roughness??? hopefully SDSU doesn't get Flat Top

No no your all wrong we need the Kicker she was Hot!!

and wasn't it WEST Texas University, not sure

TransAmBison
01-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Hmmm, maybe we could get a supermodel kicker too!!

Kermit
01-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Mmmm..Kathy Ireland!

Bisontug
01-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Mmmm..Kathy Ireland!

If we could only get NCAA approval for the uniform modifications necessary to arrive at photo #2, then I'm in favor of this recruit...:D Then you can also sign me up to be a season ticket holder. :nod:

cvbison1
01-28-2009, 07:09 PM
haha i wiki'd it and it said Texas State but that is an "unreliable source" i guess. the kicker was nice on the eyes though, that is a fact

CarringtonBison
01-28-2009, 07:14 PM
haha i wiki'd it and it said Texas State but that is an "unreliable source" i guess. the kicker was nice on the eyes though, that is a fact

its hard to see, but the picture on the left says texas state on the jersey so that is correct. However, it was hard to pull that one up as it meant that the one on the right was not seen :(

UTH
01-28-2009, 07:15 PM
If we could only get NCAA approval for the uniform modifications necessary to arrive at photo #2, then I'm in favor of this recruit...:D Then you can also sign me up to be a season ticket holder. :nod:

Towel boy.:blush: Line forms to the right...

GOB1SON
01-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Another thread hijacked by T and A.

Welcome to Bisonville!

Scooter1
01-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Absolutely not!
The benifits do not outweigh the costs. I do not, I repeat... do not want to see Austin Richard or any other lineman in that uniform.....EVER.

onbison09
01-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Hopefully Coach Bohl can get something done.

lakesbison
01-28-2009, 08:45 PM
u guys must be sexually deprived!!

Bisontug
01-28-2009, 09:00 PM
u guys must be sexually deprived!!

Yes, some of us are married Lakes... :D

I'm waiting for the Lakes insider scoop on our new QB for this year ?? Fill us in man !!!

lakesbison
01-28-2009, 09:13 PM
doesnt matter, Mertens in 09 Jose in 2010-2012

AZ juco or kid that is thinking of ditching IDAHO is my choice.

Kermit
01-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Hallstrom's latest update:
http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=41462

Taylor Davis' HS coach thinks he will stick with Idaho. :smh: If that's the case, Brock Jensen may be the guy..

SamsRams
01-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Another thread hijacked by T and A.

Welcome to Bisonville!

I know, I got all excited when I read the first few messages thinking. Wow, 2 new pages of info and I can't wait to see what has happened. I should have known this crew can't stay on topic.

Whoever Bohl gets I am sure will be a great addition!!

Kermit
01-28-2009, 10:02 PM
A bit more info on Brock Jensen:
http://badgercentric.blogspot.com/2008/11/shelby-harris.html

"Waupaca won the Division 3 title with an exciting win over Reedsburg. I'm told that Wisconsin is interested in Comets quarterback Brock Jensen as a walk-on. Brock did most of his damage in the title game running the option, and he's a nice athlete, but he also put up some great passing numbers this year and showed a decent arm in Madison."

In summary, he is a big kid (6'3" 210 lb.) who is athletic, can run, has a decent arm, and led his team to a state championship in Wisconsin. Not bad. :D

BigBison
01-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Gotta like that name...BROCK. I think its funny how QBs have unusal names, Chase, Colt, Rhett, and I dont even want to get into last names.

Ferd
01-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Yes, some of us are married Lakes... :D

I'm waiting for the Lakes insider scoop on our new QB for this year ?? Fill us in man !!!

Others are merely depraved. :hide:

NDSU1980
01-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Gotta like that name...BROCK. I think its funny how QBs have unusal names, Chase, Colt, Rhett, and I dont even want to get into last names.

I agree, QB names are important, just look at this.

http://www.hogrockcafe.com/nfl_quarterback_names.htm

Jdubs21
01-28-2009, 11:50 PM
yeah this no QB verbal deal we got goin is startin to scare me

rutlandbison
01-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I agree, QB names are important, just look at this.

http://www.hogrockcafe.com/nfl_quarterback_names.htm
That was good!!

BisonNeil
01-29-2009, 03:24 AM
doesnt matter, Mertens in 09 Jose in 2010-2012

Classic...

NDSUFan_Sav
01-29-2009, 04:04 AM

scare??? more like frustrate and annoying :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Kermit
01-29-2009, 01:10 PM

I'm still confident that the Bison will sign a QB. It seems the staff chose to aim high with their initial offers (Westendorp, Davis) and I think that's great. It sounds like they still have kids on their board that they like and who are available. Hallstrom did the 7:20AM sports on WDAY radio today. He repeated the story of Westendorp declining an NDSU offer--but he then added that the Bison have offered TWO other quarterbacks. We know about Taylor Davis from Arizona, but who is the second? As of yesterday, Hallstrom had said that Brock Jensen had not yet been offered. Did that change? Is there another mystery QB now in the picture? Or did Hallstrom misspeak?

HandoEX
01-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm still confident that the Bison will sign a QB. It seems the staff chose to aim high with their initial offers (Westendorp, Davis) and I think that's great. It sounds like they still have kids on their board that they like and who are available. Hallstrom did the 7:20AM sports on WDAY radio today. He repeated the story of Westendorp declining an NDSU offer--but he then added that the Bison have offered TWO other quarterbacks. We know about Taylor Davis from Arizona, but who is the second? As of yesterday, Hallstrom had said that Brock Jensen had not yet been offered. Did that change? Is there another mystery QB now in the picture? Or did Hallstrom misspeak?

Did he mean that Westendorp and Davis were the two we've offered?

Have we made offers to anyone else besides Lee, Westendorp and Davis?

IzzyFlexion
01-29-2009, 01:58 PM
What was the outcome of the Jake Christiansen story. Is he going to Eastern Illinois?

SDbison
01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I think its a shame that a great football program like NDSU's will again likely end up settling for leftover QB recruits? I don't believe the problem is as simple as there is a lack of west coast QB's out there. Is there a problem with the coaches abilities to recruit QB's? Have to wonder especially since they thought they could go a couple years without recruiting one. I really hope there will be a surprise QB announcement sometime before or on signing day. Even with all the great recruits for the other positions it is very important to have some depth and talent at QB.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-29-2009, 02:49 PM
I think its a shame that a great football program like NDSU's will again likely end up settling for leftover QB recruits? I don't believe the problem is as simple as there is a lack of west coast QB's out there. Is there a problem with the coaches abilities to recruit QB's? Have to wonder especially since they thought they could go a couple years without recruiting one. I really hope there will be a surprise QB announcement sometime before or on signing day. Even with all the great recruits for the other positions it is very important to have some depth and talent at QB.

Our coaches really need to go to an accredited school of recruiting Quarterbacks. They have obviously soent too much time at the Tight End/Defensive End recruiting schools. They need to work on those quarterback recruiting skills.

I heard there is a book call Quarterback Recruiting for Dummies----I will check into it

SDbison
01-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Our coaches really need to go to an accredited school of recruiting Quarterbacks. They have obviously soent too much time at the Tight End/Defensive End recruiting schools. They need to work on those quarterback recruiting skills.

I heard there is a book call Quarterback Recruiting for Dummies----I will check into it
Funny Wacker, very funny! :D

SDbison
01-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Apparently SDSU has no problem finding QB's:
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090127/SPORTS0202/901270329

Kermit
01-29-2009, 04:30 PM
I think its a shame that a great football program like NDSU's will again likely end up settling for leftover QB recruits?

Coach Bohl has admitted mistakes in their approach to recruiting QBs in the past..but the lack of a QB commitment today doesn't necessarily mean that the Bison will be settling for leftovers on signing day.

You have advocated here for the Bison to sign the Lotzer kid from Sisseton. I assume that means that you wouldn't see him as a "leftover." The Bison apparently have some interest in Lotzer, but Hallstrom has reported that he is about #4 or #5 on the Bison's board. Furthermore, other kids that others here have promoted (Tate Christopherson, Tydan Storrusten, etc.) are apparently not on the board. The kids who are on the board are guys the coaching staff think can be winning quarterbacks in the MVC. There is absolutely nothing wrong with systematically working the list until they get a commitment from the best possible prosepect who is the right fit for the program. Furthermore, I remain confident that the staff will get a commitment from one of the kids on their board. If the Bison are shut out at QB in the end, I will be wrong, and very, very surprised.

NDSU1980
01-29-2009, 05:01 PM
All I know is if we wind up with another flop like Mertens this whole recruiting season will be a waste. We need competent people at QB to lead the team and obviously you need to recruit plenty of QB's in case one of them isn't worth having.

JacksFan06
01-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Checking the bison roster there is an Andrew Fabry listed at QB and says he was a transfer from Arizona State. I haven't ever heard of this player, I take it he must not show much promise or he would be talked about more.

BisonNeil
01-29-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't think anybody really knows anything about him. Unheralded out of WI, walked on at ASU and ran the scout team. Can't really tell you more than that, maybe someone else can.

JACKGUYII
01-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Maybe you already have the right quarterback just running the wrong schemes to take advantage of his talents!

*Bisonrube
01-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Maybe you already have the right quarterback just running the wrong schemes to take advantage of his talents!

No, he is the wrong quarterback. I haven't seen anything from Mohler...so, the jury is still out

TAILG8R
01-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Does this mean verbal to NDSU? I would assume so, just based on the way it is written.

2. NDSU is in Waupaca, Wisconsin today offering Brock Jensen the QB there...I talked with Brock yesterday and he told me that he would likely verbal today.

From bisonmedia blog (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/)

KTF
01-29-2009, 07:44 PM

I definitely agree with JACKGUYII that Mertens would be great if coach used him to his talents. The SDSU game comes to mind...Especially the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Bohl admitted that he was protecting Mertens and not allowing him to do his thing throughout the course of the year.

silkamilkamonico
01-29-2009, 08:34 PM
I definitely agree with JACKGUYII that Mertens would be great if coach used him to his talents. The SDSU game comes to mind...Especially the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Bohl admitted that he was protecting Mertens and not allowing him to do his thing throughout the course of the year.

The less decisions Mertens can make the better off he is.

He might be serviceable if he can cut down on the turnovers but he'll never be great, IMHO.

NDSU1980
01-30-2009, 12:24 AM

The problem is, we can't be just run oriented. We need someone who can pass and "Morse" Mertens will always telegraph is passes. That is why he has to be replaced.

I'm going to keep saying it. If we don't get a decent QB, this whole recruiting year is for not.

tony
01-30-2009, 01:52 AM
Does this mean verbal to NDSU? I would assume so, just based on the way it is written.

From bisonmedia blog (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/)

I'm going to add him to the Offer list and wait to hear if he verbals.

RRVBISON
01-30-2009, 03:09 AM
Coach Bohl has admitted mistakes in their approach to recruiting QBs in the past..but the lack of a QB commitment today doesn't necessarily mean that the Bison will be settling for leftovers on signing day.

You have advocated here for the Bison to sign the Lotzer kid from Sisseton. I assume that means that you wouldn't see him as a "leftover." The Bison apparently have some interest in Lotzer, but Hallstrom has reported that he is about #4 or #5 on the Bison's board. Furthermore, other kids that others here have promoted (Tate Christopherson, Tydan Storrusten, etc.) are apparently not on the board. The kids who are on the board are guys the coaching staff think can be winning quarterbacks in the MVC. There is absolutely nothing wrong with systematically working the list until they get a commitment from the best possible prosepect who is the right fit for the program. Furthermore, I remain confident that the staff will get a commitment from one of the kids on their board. If the Bison are shut out at QB in the end, I will be wrong, and very, very surprised.

I agree. I think the coaching staff is sticking to the plan they have had all along. Recruit the top QB's on their list aggressively and progress accordingly. It's tough to blame either of there top two targets for going the route they did.