PDA

View Full Version : Core members??

GRAFTONBISON
01-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I know I have read this before, but can someone explain how certain schools would count as core members if they were to join the Summit? I have read that Chicago St. or U. of Denver would count as core members right away. How many core members are needed in the conference for what length of time to keep the autobid? Which schools are currently considered core members?

Thanks for the information.

Hammersmith
01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I think this is where I come in.

NCAA core members(or institutions) are those that have been active members of Division I for the past eight years. Since this is our first year as an active member(playoff eligible), NDSU will become a core member in the 2016-17 season. The only core member that is currently unattached is Savannah State. Chicago State and UTPA are both core members that would love to leave the Great West Conference for a new home that includes an autobid. The University of Denver and the University of New Orleans are both core members in the Sun Belt Conference that have received warnings to add Sun Belt sports or risk getting kicked out.

The core member designation was designed to stop a massive wave of schools from moving to DI after the first billion-dollar TV deal with CBS. It's the main reason a DI NCC would've had to wait 13 years for a MBB autobid. For MBB, a conference needs a total of seven core members, six of which must have played together during the previous five seasons(the 7/6/5 rule). For almost all other sports, the rule is six core members playing together for the previous two years(6/6/2). For sports played by less than 50% of the DI membership(FCS football, hockey, etc.), no core members are needed, only six active members that have played together for the previous two years.

Currently, the Summit League has eight core members(all but NDSU & SDSU), seven of which have played together for the previous five seasons. Centenary just joined that group this year, and IPFW will join it for the 2012-13 season.

Bison bison
01-22-2009, 08:05 PM
very thorough.

a conference also gets a year or two probation if they don't have the minimum number of core members.

GRAFTONBISON
01-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the information. I know I had read this before but couldn't remember most of it.

lcbison
01-22-2009, 09:49 PM

NCAA core members(or institutions) are those that have been active members of Division I for the past eight years. Since this is our first year as an active member(playoff eligible), NDSU will become a core member in the 2016-17 season. The only core member that is currently unattached is Savannah State. Chicago State and UTPA are both core members that would love to leave the Great West Conference for a new home that includes an autobid. The University of Denver and the University of New Orleans are both core members in the Sun Belt Conference that have received warnings to add Sun Belt sports or risk getting kicked out.

The core member designation was designed to stop a massive wave of schools from moving to DI after the first billion-dollar TV deal with CBS. It's the main reason a DI NCC would've had to wait 13 years for a MBB autobid. For MBB, a conference needs a total of seven core members, six of which must have played together during the previous five seasons(the 7/6/5 rule). For almost all other sports, the rule is six core members playing together for the previous two years(6/6/2). For sports played by less than 50% of the DI membership(FCS football, hockey, etc.), no core members are needed, only six active members that have played together for the previous two years.

Currently, the Summit League has eight core members(all but NDSU & SDSU), seven of which have played together for the previous five seasons. Centenary just joined that group this year, and IPFW will join it for the 2012-13 season.

Now imagine if you could use all the information and make off of it.

were talking Boy Band girls all the time.

Bison bison
05-07-2009, 03:04 AM

A little bump given the news out of the NCAA today.