View Full Version : Legislation Proposed to force rivalry game

NorthernBison
01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Here it is:

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-2009/bill-text/JBSV0100.pdf

fargocyclone
01-20-2009, 09:08 PM
BOO!

In other words, I hope this doesn't go through. Get the government out of athletics.

lcbison
01-20-2009, 09:16 PM
that is just stupid

waste of taxpayer money

this coming from someone who actually wants to play UND

Is this even Legal or commonplace elswhere??

tony
01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Hehe, why doesn't it surprise me that Frank "That is an ego trip they will regret someday" Wald is one of the sponsors? Thank you, Dickinson, for continuing to elect that guy. I can understand him and three people from Grand Forks sponsoring this one but I don't understand Kelsh from Fargo being a sponsor. It'd be interesting to see what the rationale they give for effectively penalizing NDSU and rewarding UND.

If they are going to make NDSU play UND at Grand Forks, NDSU should get some sort money to make up for what we lose (at least they could amend the legislation to limit what UND can charge for tickets for the game or something). As this legislation stands, it's just a big, undeserved gift to UND.

fargocyclone
01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
that is just stupid

Legal to do. Iowa and Iowa State has a law that includes UNI in it as well, I think. Regardless of whether or not anyone thinks they should play, this is a stupid way to go about it.

lcbison
01-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Legal to do. Iowa and Iowa State has a law that includes UNI in it as well, I think. Regardless of whether or not anyone thinks they should play, this is a stupid way to go about it.

But seriously, how would they punish NDSU, Would Chapman or Taylor have to spend a night in the slammer? Or could they punish financially, by taking away funding?

UTH
01-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't see any need for legislation that requires the Bison to continue the rivalry. Conference affiliation already takes care of that. Am I missing something here???:confused: :confused: :confused:

*just the idea itself is so patently stupid that i'm not even gonna bother reading the bill:ranting:

tjbison
01-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Rally the troops, e-mail, call, or go to the Capital against this CRAP bill!

I don't care what anyone thinks, the AD's at both schools are paid to make a schedule not FORCED into one.

lakesbison
01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Shut The Fu.. Up!!!

Are U Kiddin Me??

Email Gene And Joe...now!!!!

This Is Crap!!!

NorthernBison
01-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Hehe, why doesn't it surprise me that Frank "That is an ego trip they will regret someday" Wald is one of the sponsors? Thank you, Dickinson, for continuing to elect that guy. I can understand him and three people from Grand Forks sponsoring this one but I don't understand Kelsh from Fargo being a sponsor. It'd be interesting to see what the rationale they give for effectively penalizing NDSU and rewarding UND.

If they are going to make NDSU play UND at Grand Forks, NDSU should get some sort money to make up for what we lose (at least they could amend the legislation to limit what UND can charge for tickets for the game or something). As this legislation stands, it's just a big, undeserved gift to UND.

Kelsh is a NDSU Architecture grad. The other sponsors are from El Forko Grande or are UND grads (Wald).

I think this has very little chance of going anywhere but this is North Dakota ya know.

NDSUstudent
01-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Kelsh(Fargo)-NDSU
Potter(GF)-Colorado
Wald(Dickinson)-UND
Mock(GF)-UND
Glassheim(GF)-New Mexico
Bakke(GF)-UND

I want the ADs and presidents to figure this out, not the legislators. If these people really want the game to start up maybe they should look into scheduling some kind of meeting so the two sides can start to get on the same page.

Bison bison
01-20-2009, 09:36 PM
http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-2009/bill-text/JBSV0100.pdf

tjbison
01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Kelsh is a NDSU Architecture grad. The other sponsors are from El Forko Grande or are UND grads (Wald).

I think this has very little chance of going anywhere but this is North Dakota ya know.

Anybody that votes for this bill (if it passes) should be forced to buy season tickets at both schools for 10 years!!!! If it were to pass I'll bet 5% of the people to vote actually would attened these games!

Sorry I'm ranting but this really Pi##es me off, we have much more impoortant issues to be discussing in this session than forcing NDSU to play the UND crybabies!!!

tony
01-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Hmm. There are two people with the name Mock in the legislature. One is from Grand Forks. I wonder if they accidentally put the wrong Mock on teh bill?

I'm sure that there are a lot of people across the state who want NDSU and UND to play. Be interesting to see how the debate shapes. Having hissy fits isn't going to impress anybody. I'd hope that NDSU could at least get some concessions out of this.

The fatal flaw with the bill is that it doesn't say how a date for the game will be set. At the VERY least, NDSU should be able to pick the date of the game.

Green-N-Gold
01-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm surprised those tools didn't add language that the first game is to be played up north.

tcbison
01-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Where was this legislation back in 2003?

lakesbison
01-20-2009, 09:48 PM
FLOOD THEIR EMAILS: CALL THIER NUMBERS:

FRANK 'IM OLD AND SENILE' WALD

FWALD@ND.GOV

WORK: 701-483-9104
HOME: 701-483-5888

SCOTT 'IM BEING BRIBED BY UND' KELSH

SKELSH@NDGOV

WORK: 701-235-5431
HOME: 701-866-3590

I CALLED AND WROTE....TWICE!!!

99Bison
01-20-2009, 09:50 PM
This is a potential disaster across the board waiting to happen...
Watch NDSU get penalized by the Summit, MVFC, NCAA or someone for playing a contro' nickname school. Then the State of ND can try and sue the NCAA and vice-versa... and so on and so forth. Awesomeness all around.

NorthernBison
01-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Mandating this alternating football series is clearly something that will cost NDSU money. We already sell out home games so it won't increase our gate. In the years where we would need to play in Grand Forks, an FBS guaranty game would not likely be an option so there is a real cost there. It's even measurable. Didn't Montana get $750,000 for playing Iowa?

I see no downside financially for UND. They will have one sellout every other year.

Ultimately, if the Legislature wants to mandate a game to the financial detriment of NDSU, they should pay for it. A reasonable suggestion would be a $500,000 direct payment from the general fund to the NDSU athletic department to compensate them for doing this. Said payment to be made every year. Unfunded mandates are wrong so, it's only fair.

UTH
01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
FLOOD THEIR EMAILS: CALL THIER NUMBERS:

I CALLED AND WROTE....TWICE!!!

We're so screwed.

lakesbison
01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Kelsh's # is wrong,,,,what a coward,,,someone post them,.,

wald's.ins. office got me twice..haha.,and emails ,,,

tony
01-20-2009, 10:18 PM

You are wasting your hissy fit on Wald. If NDSU was burning to the ground, he'd send a can of gasoline to help (but he'd make NDSU pay for it).

As for Kelsh, there are two guys with that name in the legislature. The other one is a UND grad so they might have screwed up. If it is actually the Fargo/NDSU guy sponsoring this bill, I think we'd be better served by hearing him out before jumping all over him.

Repeating for emphasis: The fatal flaw with this bill is that it doesn't say how the date of the game will be decided.

UTH
01-20-2009, 10:23 PM

Seriously - Stop it. Let people more capable of such things worry about this. I agree with you on this issue (albeit for other reasons) and would like for the resistance to this bill to succeed. If you want to help fight it, then the BEST THING FOR YOU TO DO IS NOTHING. Please don't force another campaign. You will not like this.;)

Hammersmith
01-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Those of you who know how the ND legislature works: Now that the bill has been introduced, it has to be voted on, correct? I thought I heard that every bill introduced has to be voted on, and none can die in committee or elsewhere.

Oh, and ditto to UTH.

NorthernBison
01-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Those of you who know how the ND legislature works: Now that the bill has been introduced, it has to be voted on, correct? I thought I heard that every bill introduced has to be voted on, and none can die in committee or elsewhere.

Oh, and ditto to UTH.

Absolutely correct. Every bill gets an up or down vote. Committees recommend DO PASS or DO NOT PASS but the Legislature votes on every one. At least that's how it was explained to me.

BisonAccountant44
01-20-2009, 10:30 PM
I did my part. I sent an email to all of my family in ND telling them to email their reps and let them know how ridiculous this bill is.

tony
01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I did my part. I sent an email to all of my family in ND telling them to email their reps and let them know how ridiculous this bill is.

I really don't think there's much to worry about here.

56BISON73
01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
that is just stupid

waste of taxpayer money

Is it legal. It must be as its happened before in other states. PL

56BISON73
01-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Mandating this alternating football series is clearly something that will cost NDSU money. We already sell out home games so it won't increase our gate. In the years where we would need to play in Grand Forks, an FBS guaranty game would not likely be an option so there is a real cost there. It's even measurable. Didn't Montana get $750,000 for playing Iowa?

I see no downside financially for UND. They will have one sellout every other year.

Ultimately, if the Legislature wants to mandate a game to the financial detriment of NDSU, they should pay for it. A reasonable suggestion would be a $500,000 direct payment from the general fund to the NDSU athletic department to compensate them for doing this. Said payment to be made every year. Unfunded mandates are wrong so, it's only fair.

They put a clause in the contract that the games are to be played at the FD because of the seating disparity. Then if and when UND has comparable seating then it goes to home and home. PL

ps that clause has been used before

tcbison
01-20-2009, 11:34 PM
This would make sense. Don't play UND until 2012...
"NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said the earliest the teams could meet would be 2012, as the Bison have commitments or are deep into talks for games for the 2009 through 2011 seasons."

Shawn-O
01-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Is it legal. It must be as its happened before in other states. PL

Government needs to stay out the business of scheduling ball games and leave that to the respective AD's and administrations. Man, times must be good up in the 'ol motherland if this is all they have to worry about.

G-city Bison Fan
01-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Stupid,

Makes me want to move back to North Dakota, get elected as a rep, and constantly propose legislation that bashes the shit out of that hole they call a school up north.

Piece of legislation #1 - That all UND students be mandated to wear pink every friday.

#2 - That UND rename its damn school to the UND erachievers.

#3 - That any tool that mentions the UND vs. NDSU football game before 2012 gets 20 minutes tied to a chair in the same room as lakes and lakes get a baseball bat.

Shawn-O
01-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Stupid,

Makes me want to move back to North Dakota, get elected as a rep, and constantly propose legislation that bashes the shit out of that hole they call a school up north.

Piece of legislation #1 - That all UND students be mandated to wear pink every friday.

#2 - That UND rename its damn school to the UND erachievers.

#3 - That any tool that mentions the UND vs. NDSU football game before 2012 gets 20 minutes tied to a chair in the same room as lakes and lakes get a baseball bat.

Well, there's about 10 seconds we're not getting back, folks.

G-city Bison Fan
01-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Well, there's about 10 seconds we're not getting back, folks.

Well obviously rationality isn't a strong point here. These people are getting elected continuously and this is what they come up with? This small minded, god forbid things change in any way, mentality is pathetic.

Shawn-O
01-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Well obviously rationality isn't a strong point here. These people are getting elected continuously and this is what they come up with? This small minded, god forbid things change in any way, mentality is pathetic.

I agree with you, but thought the hostility toward UND was a little misplaced.

G-city Bison Fan
01-21-2009, 12:47 AM
I agree with you, but thought the hostility toward UND was a little misplaced.

true...lol, it's been a rough two days for my blood pressure.

yesterday was the story in the forum about the book banning in beulah, and now this...whew, gotta step back a bit.

duluthbison
01-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Looks like the forum has picked up on it

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/228493/group/home/

Herd
01-21-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm sure the legislature will hold hands and sing Kum-Bi-Ya while they agree how great this would be for the state. Only an Idiot or a pussy would vote for this.

onbison09
01-21-2009, 01:14 AM
that is just stupid

waste of taxpayer money

I think West Virginia's governor started up the Marshall and WVU series.

MN_BISON
01-21-2009, 01:23 AM
From Rep. Mock from el Forko Grande:
“If it doesn’t need legislation, awesome,” Mock said. “I just want them to play.”

Really Mr. Mock, well then by all means introduce a bill to force the issue. Here's an idea, get off your ass, drive down to the AD's office at UND, pick up the damn phone for him and dial Gene Taylor at NDSU. Upon hearing Mr. Taylor on the other end, ask him to hold and hand the frickin' phone over to Brian F, wish him luck and walk out the door.

By the way, there are a couple of things "I just want." Mr. Mock, maybe I can send you a list and you can get it passed into law for me...........:banghead:

CarringtonBison
01-21-2009, 02:24 AM
I did my part, email our local legislator. He is an aquaintence of mine and I hope that he sees the silliness of it all.

Bisonguy
01-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Worst.

Bill.

Ever.

NorthernBison
01-21-2009, 02:45 AM
I don't expect this to cause any problems for the Grand Forks Legislators although I have hope that the more enlightened UND fans will realize that this makes them look a bit desperate.

I am counting on those of you who are represented by this Kelsh clown to make sure that he pays dearly for being such a fool. Get it done.

Bisonguy
01-21-2009, 02:45 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to do one of my favorite posts:

I. Told. You. So. (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showpost.php?p=243552&postcount=182) (well, it was 10 days ago....)

Hambone
01-21-2009, 02:53 AM
Worst.

Bill.

Ever.

To quote Sambini +++++++++++++

MAKBison
01-21-2009, 02:57 AM
here are the politician's email addresses....I encourage all of you to email them how!!!!

How dumb. wast of $$$, time etc!!!:mad:

Scot Kelsh--- skelsh@nd.gov

Louise “Weezie” Potter-- lpotter@nd.gov

Bisonguy
01-21-2009, 03:12 AM
here are the politician's email addresses....I encourage all of you to email them how!!!!

How dumb. wast of $$$, time etc!!!:mad:

Scot Kelsh--- skelsh@nd.gov

Louise “Weezie” Potter-- lpotter@nd.gov

Hopefully they check their email. I tried to email a few legislators a few years back and had some of the emails bounced back to me. Asked a couple legislators that actually responded, and they stated that's what happens when their inbox is full, and there were some legislators that had NEVER checked their email or even turned on a computer.

G-city Bison Fan
01-21-2009, 03:49 AM
Hopefully they check their email. I tried to email a few legislators a few years back and had some of the emails bounced back to me. Asked a couple legislators that actually responded, and they stated that's what happens when their inbox is full, and there were some legislators that had NEVER checked their email or even turned on a computer.

Emailed Potter, and I in all reality hope that her email is full by tomorrow morning.

56BISON73
01-21-2009, 03:51 AM
Lakes this ones just for YOU!!!!:D

""""BISON ATHLETIC DIRECTOR GENE
TAYLOR TOLD ME BY PHONE TODAY
THAT THE RIVALRY WILL RESUME
IN THE NEAR FUTURE,"""""

:D

VanClubPres
01-21-2009, 03:58 AM
Wrote a hard copy letter today. I am sure that I am going to get some intern writing back to me telling me how important my concerns are and that every option will be examined before they make a qualified decision.

Side note, what does anyone think would happen if they refused to play?

leave politics out of sports. Poor decisions
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

lakesbison
01-21-2009, 04:16 AM
LOTS of eye-rolling at ndsu game tonite, this legislation is ONLY pissing off people and.will set it back further.....2060' when im dead!!!!

UTH
01-21-2009, 04:18 AM
Wrote a hard copy letter today. I am sure that I am going to get some intern writing back to me telling me how important my concerns are and that every option will be examined before they make a qualified decision.

Side note, what does anyone think would happen if they refused to play?

leave politics out of sports. Poor decisions
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

This is Bismarck, not DC. Don't know for sure, but I have problems believing that an @$$#@t$ in the legislature has an intern, much less even a skeleton staff. I'm pretty sure these people are looking at these letters themselves. Write away...

lakesbison
01-21-2009, 05:11 AM
I started a new thread: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15224

Scott was completely honest about his mistake, and he gained a TON OF RESPECT !!!!!

Sent: Wed 1/21/09 11:43 PM
To: lakesbison

Thank you for your message. In retrospect, I will stick to things I know from now on. The bill's sponsor asked me to sign on to the bill at a moment when things were hectic and people were coming talking to me from all directions. I apologize for signing on. I will NOT be supporting the bill.
Regards,
Scot Kelsh
class of '94

UTH
01-21-2009, 05:25 AM
Lakes this ones just for YOU!!!!:D

""""BISON ATHLETIC DIRECTOR GENE
TAYLOR TOLD ME BY PHONE TODAY
THAT THE RIVALRY WILL RESUME
IN THE NEAR FUTURE,"""""

:D

Lakes just duplicated threads. I disapprove. That's a pet peeve. He also continues to publicly comment on this fiasco. I'll reciprocate by resuming the "Quote PL" campaign. Please feel free, dear fellow citizens of Bisonville... Gratuitously and with extreme prejudice.

lakesbison
01-21-2009, 05:26 AM
what are you TALKING ABOUT!?!?!?!

I GOT A SPONSOR OF THE BILL TO REMOVE HIS NAME!!!!

WHY YOU RIPPING ON ME?!?!?!

UTH
01-21-2009, 05:33 AM
They put a clause in the contract that the games are to be played at the FD because of the seating disparity. Then if and when UND has comparable seating then it goes to home and home. PL

ps that clause has been used before

Learn to read the English language and go back to my last post for an explanation. If you want, I can make it Pycckuu. You show how adept you are with it in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjWBZ_SY-Y).

56BISON73
01-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Learn to read the English language and go back to my last post for an explanation. If you want, I can make it Pycckuu. You show how adept you are with it in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjWBZ_SY-Y).

Lakes doent understand the finer points of the politics that was accomplished by the introduction of this bill. His yelling and screaming wont have any material effect whether the bill passes or not. Just as his yelling and screaming wont stop the rivalry from resuming.
Whether the bill passes or not it is immaterial as it has already had its desired effect. PL

UTH
01-21-2009, 05:58 AM
Lakes doent understand the finer points of the politics that was accomplished by the introduction of this bill. His yelling and screaming wont have any material effect whether the bill passes or not. Whether the bill passes or not it is immaterial as it has already had its desired effect, which is to remind people that there is this other institution that wishes it could be on equal standing with NDSU. PL

QFAhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/SmiliesThumbsupa.gif

HerdBot
01-21-2009, 06:06 AM

It is a gift. UND needs to EARN it's way into D1 football. No welfare handouts from UND grads.

56BISON73
01-21-2009, 06:26 AM
QFAhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/SmiliesThumbsupa.gif

"""
Originally Posted by 56BISON73 http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=245799#post245799)
Lakes doent understand the finer points of the politics that was accomplished by the introduction of this bill. His yelling and screaming wont have any material effect whether the bill passes or not. Whether the bill passes or not it is immaterial as it has already had its desired effect, which is to remind people that there is this other institution that wishes it could be on equal standing with NDSU. PL

I dont think that was in my original post?????:D

WYOBISONMAN
01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
My advice:

When the bill is up for a hearing in committee, you Nodaks better get your asses to Bismarck and testify against this garbage and get a big DO NOT PASS vote when it comes out of committee. A hostile and packed committee hearing would kill this thing.

runtheoption
01-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Might have been posted already, but didn't want to go thru all 7 pages.

Sponsors of bill bios:

Potter -- degree from Univ. of Colorado, GF resident

Glassheim -- degrees from Weselyn Univ. & Univ. of New Mexico, GF resident

Kelsh -- BA from NDSU, Fargo resident

Mock -- BA from UND, teacher at UND, GF resident

Wald -- BS from UND, Dickinson resident

Bakke -- BS and MA from UND, GF resident

Da Bison
01-21-2009, 02:20 PM
This is one of Frank Walds previous works from 2003. An attempt to keep NDSU from going DI by not allowing the State to fund any DI programs except for the firetrucks hockey program.

1. The state board of higher education and the institutions under the control of the board may not expend state general fund moneys for any activity directory or indirectly related to an institution’s designation as a division I member institution within the national collegiate athletic association.

2. The state board of higher education and the institutions under the control of the board may not expend any moneys generated by an increase in student fees above the levels at which the fees were set on June 30, 2003, for any activity directly or indirectly related to an institution’s designation as a division I member institution within the national collegiate athletic assocation.

3. This Act does not apply to expenditures for any division I athletic program in existence before January 1, 2001.

Bison"FANatic"
01-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Serious question. How does this make UND look? They have to have their legislators try and help them through the transition to D1. It is not a easy road to take and NDSU had many bumps but you didn't see us crying to our legislators to put up a useless bill.

Talk about a bunch of dunces. There is more important things that the legislative bodies need to be dealing with than this. I have spent some time lobbying and working with legislators and this is the last thing they need to be dealing with. There are only so many days for committee hearing and votes to get done and someone goes and introduces this crap. Let the leaders of the schools lead and do their jobs. You are not AD's and would probably fail miserably at that job. There is more to scheduling and budgets than just saying lets play on the 12th of November.

As for Kelsh you now found out who is a friend and who is a enemy in the legislator. The person who approached you to be on the bill is no friend. He was taking advantage of a young rep. Take a look at bills and do your homework. It is no excuse to jump on a bill just to get your name on it.

Tatanka
01-21-2009, 02:37 PM
This is one of Frank Walds previous works. An attempt to keep NDSU from going DI by not allowing the State to fund any DI programs except for the firetrucks hockey program.

1. The state board of higher education and the institutions under the control of the board may not expend state general fund moneys for any activity directory or indirectly related to an institution’s designation as a division I member institution within the national collegiate athletic association.

2. The state board of higher education and the institutions under the control of the board may not expend any moneys generated by an increase in student fees above the levels at which the fees were set on June 30, 2003, for any activity directly or indirectly related to an institution’s designation as a division I member institution within the national collegiate athletic assocation.

3. This Act does not apply to expenditures for any division I athletic program in existence before January 1, 2001.

Well it's a good thing #2 didn't pass otherwise teh university wouldn't have been able to jack up their student fees to support the move...

Re: Kelsh. Didn't his father play football for teh university? Hmmmmmmm.

My humble opinion on this whole pile of bovine waste matter:
Let it go, and let it be seen for what it is: a pathetic myopic attempt by some university cronies to use the law/government/courts to cover up the poor decisions of the prior administration. We've seen this kind of douchebaggery before, and we'll see it again. Where was this legislation when teh university turned down a 4-year home-and-home contract during NDSU's transition? Nowhere. Exactly. Instead we see the crap in the quoted post. This is not, and never was, a government matter. Period.

Flame away.

heckler
01-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Reply from Mock

I want to thank you for your willingness to share your opinion regarding this matter. While we may disagree on the merits of HB 1507, rest assured that I was willing to co-sponsor this bill at the request of concerned constituents. During the campaign, many residents of Grand Forks requested that legislators explore the possibility of introducing a bill and/or resolution to encourage the conversation regarding the UND/NDSU rivalry. Because the rivalry holds a dear place in the hearts of many, I was willing to take some of my personal time and research what other states have done and the policies regarding NCAA scheduling.

There are many issues that are critically important in the ND Legislature, many of which I am sponsoring or working towards addressing with my colleagues. But as a chamber that represents the people of North Dakota, every concern must be addressed. The overwhelming interest in various districts made it apparent that this deserves a proper hearing in committee and a vote on the floor, all in conjunction with a conversation with all parties involved.

I hope you understand the situation. Thank you again for the email and I am confident that this assembly will place all bills in their proper priority.

Corey

Bison Dan
01-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Reply from Mock

I want to thank you for your willingness to share your opinion regarding this matter. While we may disagree on the merits of HB 1507, rest assured that I was willing to co-sponsor this bill at the request of concerned constituents. During the campaign, many residents of Grand Forks requested that legislators explore the possibility of introducing a bill and/or resolution to encourage the conversation regarding the UND/NDSU rivalry. Because the rivalry holds a dear place in the hearts of many, I was willing to take some of my personal time and research what other states have done and the policies regarding NCAA scheduling.

There are many issues that are critically important in the ND Legislature, many of which I am sponsoring or working towards addressing with my colleagues. But as a chamber that represents the people of North Dakota, every concern must be addressed. The overwhelming interest in various districts made it apparent that this deserves a proper hearing in committee and a vote on the floor, all in conjunction with a conversation with all parties involved.

I hope you understand the situation. Thank you again for the email and I am confident that this assembly will place all bills in their proper priority.

Corey

What did your email say to Mock?

Green-N-Gold
01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Reply from Mock

...During the campaign, many residents of Grand Forks requested that legislators explore the possibility of introducing a bill and/or resolution to encourage the conversation regarding the UND/NDSU rivalry...

Sorry Mr. Mock, but your bill does a lot more than "encourage the conversation" doesn't it?

runtheoption
01-21-2009, 04:23 PM
(here's my email I sent, probably a waste of time but I feel better!!! Also, thanks to all on this thread, because basically everything in my email has been borrowed from you guys. I'll let you know if I get any responses.)

Mr. Wald,

This current bill is ridiculous. Your continued venomous attitude towards everything that is related to NDSU is an act that is getting old, and it is time for it to get "the hook." You have truly shown your true colors (kelly green and white?). Remember this gem of a bill you sponsored/co-sponsored a few years ago:

"1. The state board of higher education and the institutions under the control of the board may not expend state general fund moneys for any activity directory or indirectly related to an institution’s designation as a division I member institution within the national collegiate athletic association.

2. The state board of higher education and the institutions under the control of the board may not expend any moneys generated by an increase in student fees above the levels at which the fees were set on June 30, 2003, for any activity directly or indirectly related to an institution’s designation as a division I member institution within the national collegiate athletic association.

3. This Act does not apply to expenditures for any division I athletic program in existence before January 1, 2001."

Way to make a stand for UND hockey in #3. Regarding #2, good thing UND didn't jack up their student fees the last few years (that is extreme sarcasm from me, by the way). Did you make a fuss when those student fees at your beloved UND were increased after starting the move to Division I in all sports? Hmmm, seems quite hypocritical.

You sir, are making yourself look childish, and you are making your constituents look foolish for continually re-electing you. How silly does the old, proposed bill look, now that UND is mid-way through the reclassification to Division I status for all sports? Where was a version of your current bill when NDSU was going through reclassification, to force UND to play NDSU?

Aren't there more important things for you to work on, e.g. what to do with the budget surplus, funding for education, property tax relief, continued energy development, Sioux nickname? Your fellow UND grads must be so proud of this piece of legislation.

Shouldn't you let the Athletic Directors do their jobs, and let them worry about the schedules for their respective universities? Here's a tip: Want to know the best way to strengthen the resolve amongst those that never want to see NDSU and UND play football again.....Sponsor a bill that forces them to play. Your fellow legislator, Corey Mock said, "If it doesn’t need legislation, awesome. I just want them to play.” That is a contradiction in terms...you (along with Mock and others) introduce a bill that forces them to play, but think it is awesome if it doesn't need legislation?

We North Dakotans have long memories. Many of us have NDSU ties, including those that live in and around Dickinson. Keep that in mind during the next election.

Feel free to contact me at your convenience to speak about this frivolous matter, since you seem so adept at wasting taxpayer money.

Very truly yours,

Kyle D. Kemmet
122 Bender Lane
Harwood, ND 58042

701-214-7943

cc: Louise Potter, JoNell Bakke, Eliot Glassheim, Scot Kelsh, & Corey Mock

Fightin' Bison
01-21-2009, 05:02 PM
BOO!

In other words, I hope this doesn't go through. Get the government out of athletics.

I agree. Our state schools should definitely get out of athletics. Wait, what?

heckler
01-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Response to an email from my finacee:

I could not agree with you more that unemployment, education, and college tuition are a MUCH higher priority. I will mention that numerous other states have attempted similar legislation. As state institutions, and in lieu of a tradition that lasted from 1894-2003, it is important to address the desires and concerns of our citizens. Many students, families, fans and alumni believe that this game is paramount in getting through the UND nickname situation, as it will further unite collegiate athletic supporters and ensure a lasting tradition that enhances the economic growth in Grand Forks, Fargo and spreading to other communities as well.

My dedication to the other causes are much higher in priority. It is for this reason that I have sponsored a college tuition freeze, and am a lead sponsor in a bill that would utilize BND student loan profits (a portion) to pay down student loan debts to graduates that live in North Dakota for longer than one year. These are approaches that have been taken in other states, and have the opportunity to succeed in North Dakota. These are just a few of the bills that will be of TOP priority in the House Education committee.

This is all part of a large picture. I certainly hope you understand that the process is not meant to be a joke or make a mockery of our system. The hearing is likely to be short and I will remain candid in all of my testimonies. I wish to preserve the wishes of ND citizens and respect the sanctity of the NCAA and its scheduling policies.

Again, thank you for the cordial response and insight. I truly hope that this bill looks slightly less atrocious than it did at first glance.

Respectfully,

Corey

HandoEX
01-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Did anyone else listen to Hammer today? I got in my car to drive back to work after my lunch break and some dude was on the show ranting and raving on this subject. I've never met Lakes in real life, but I knew it was him even before the next caller mentioned him by name. haha

Bison Dan
01-21-2009, 06:12 PM
There's over 10 pages on the subject in the in-forum website. I went quickly through 7 or 8 pages and only found 1 person that agreed with the bill. Most said it made und look weak...

THEsocalledfan
01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Did not find this thread until now; posted it under another heading.

First off, I was ridiculed on this board when I suggested, years ago, that the legislature could become involved if NDSU stonewalls forever on this subject. (I won't say I told you so as I did on another thread.) The rivalry is near and dear to many and UND grads, as much as I hate to say it, have traditionally dominated the state government, and not everyone thinks NDSU should just piss on UND because UND did that to NDSU. It is simply childish. It was simply a matter of time until someone started forcing the issue.

I often see and read "Don't they have better things to do?" The answer is yes, but that is not necessarily the best politics. The best politics get you noticed, get your name in the paper, make a splash with your ideas. Why do you think the Pres has been so willing to question the BCS system in the setting of two wars and a severe recession? Now, this can backfire if your constituents hate the idea.... (See what happened our our fellow alumni from Fargo who co-sponsored this bill.) Same type of issue that you would think could be worked out by the BCS presidents without legislative interference.....

Will it pass? No chance this time, unless Chapman/Taylor make some major political blunder like say they will never play or appear to be openly stonewalling on the issue.

But, the tide of ideas will change with time, if they don't play by 2012. Shawn-O has made this point quite clear and I firmly agree. Here will be the typical conversation of the average citizen at the small town coffee shop in 2011 or 2013:

"Did you read that a bill was again introduced to force NDSU/UND to play?"

"Yes, I did. Can't quite figure out why they don't play when they are 70 miles apart."

"Yea, I agree. I know UND wasn't too bright in not moving up, but now that they are up, they should be playing. It is good for the state."

I predict that one major political misstep by NDSU admin or if they still are refusing to play in 2012 will lead to passed legislation forcing the game. From Taylor’s comments, I think they know the writing is on the wall already.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but not everyone has an irrational hatred of UND in the state of ND. The clock to resuming the rivalry is now officially ticking. 2012 sounds about right.

UTH
01-21-2009, 07:24 PM

Sorry to rain on the parade, but not everyone has an irrational hatred of UND in the state of ND. The clock to resuming the rivalry is now officially ticking. 2012 sounds about right.

Not saying that I really hate them or anything. It's just that I don't care anymore. I like where the Bison are now, and the future is plenty bright as it is, without having to muddy up the schedule. Pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Bison"FANatic"
01-21-2009, 07:34 PM
I fully agree that the game will be played but it should not be forced on either college. It has to be when it fits into schedules and is the right timing for each university. It should not be set in stone that it happens each year either. You never know what opportunities might come along and to back yourself into a scheduling corner is not smart. I agree that 2012 we will probably see them on the schedule.

Fightin' Bison
01-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Lakes doent understand the finer points of the politics that was accomplished by the introduction of this bill. His yelling and screaming wont have any material effect whether the bill passes or not. Just as his yelling and screaming wont stop the rivalry from resuming.
Whether the bill passes or not it is immaterial as it has already had its desired effect. PL

Somebody gets it. Can we start a list of the things that Lakes does understand? It would be easier.

1. Tantrums

Flanders
01-21-2009, 09:14 PM
There's over 10 pages on the subject in the in-forum website. I went quickly through 7 or 8 pages and only found 1 person that agreed with the bill. Most said it made und look weak...
I'm not sure how this makes UND look weak? UND's administration played absolutely no role in this proposed legilslation.

Bison"FANatic"
01-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Now it is being discussed on 790 AM

aces1180
01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure how this makes UND look weak? UND's administration played absolutely no role in this proposed legilslation.

Just keep telling yourself that...It hasn't been reported but do you not think it's kind of fishy that a GF Legislature introduced the bill? I sure do and a lot of people can see the writing on the wall. Has it been confirmed, no, but c'mon.......

MN_BISON
01-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Flanders, you are probably right about UND having no role in this, but it seems rather strange to me at least that we haven't heard one word from UND on this bill. Maybe I just missed it......Also, do you think the Rep. from GF went ahead with this bill without even mentioning it to someone at UND? Honest question. She has no obligation to do so, but I would think she might at least get their view on something like this since she is from GF, who knows, maybe her district does not include UND.

MAKBison
01-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Lets scehdual them....after the piss pounding it will be all over. At least then they will not want to play again until the catch up. Does anyone really think it would be a game?

Flanders
01-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Just keep telling yourself that...It hasn't been reported but do you not think it's kind of fishy that a GF Legislature introduced the bill? I sure do and a lot of people can see the writing on the wall. Has it been confirmed, no, but c'mon.......
I guess that's a fair theory but I don't subscribe to it. Faison said yesterday he had nothing to do with it and that the authors of the bill never spoke to him about it. While this was going on, Presidents Chapman and Kelley, along with their wives traveled to Washington D.C. together to attend the inauguration together. I firmly believe that when it gets right down to it, those two will decide when the game is played. There's a pretty good chance they talked about it yesterday while waiting out in the cold.

NDSUstudent
01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't see what all the fuss is about, we are going to play UND again. I think GT should pick up the phone and tell Faison we'll see you in 2012 and put an end to this madness once and for all.

I'm so sick of this debate it isn't even funny, the time has come for a resolution of some sort.

Bison101
01-21-2009, 10:15 PM
What a piece of crap.

This bill was proposed by six legislators- FOUR from Grand Forks.

Doesn't the ND State legislature have better things to worry about than a football game? Why should they be working on a private issue among NCAA schools?

You know what this should be called?

THE VIRG FOSS LAW

NDSU1980
01-21-2009, 10:57 PM

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Yep, and Gene Taylor made Roger Thomas say und wouldn't play NDSU at that infamous press conference. UND's leadership had nothing to do with that idiotic move either.

I see the poll in the GF Herald asking whether this legislation should be passed is at 14% yes, 82% no, and 4% undecided. Looks like there is no ground swell of support, but then, who likes und?

NDSU1980
01-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Here's the herald poll. Vote no or I'll tell Lakes.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/includes/poll/poll.cfm?id=248

imabison
01-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Here's the herald poll. Vote no or I'll tell Lakes.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/includes/poll/poll.cfm?id=248
Just voted NO

83% against out of 251 votes.

Tatanka
01-22-2009, 12:17 AM
What's really sad is that 14% are voting "yes". The question isn't "should UND and NDSU play each other in football", it's should the government get involved. Personally, I find it rather shocking that there are that many people that think that way.:smh:

56BISON73
01-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Somebody gets it. Can we start a list of the things that Lakes does understand? It would be easier.

1. Tantrums

Good point. The list indeed would be short. PL

THEsocalledfan
01-22-2009, 12:45 AM
What a piece of crap.

This bill was proposed by six legislators- FOUR from Grand Forks.

Doesn't the ND State legislature have better things to worry about than a football game? Why should they be working on a private issue among NCAA schools?

You know what this should be called?

THE VIRG FOSS LAW

See my previous comments. Politicians are politicians. I keep being surprised that people on this board think this. Could be excellent politics if the game does not get restarted soon.

Shawn-O
01-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Yep, and Gene Taylor made Roger Thomas say und wouldn't play NDSU at that infamous press conference. UND's leadership had nothing to do with that idiotic move either.

The press conference was simply to announce the upcoming season's football schedule. NDSU just happened to not be on it. This whole press conference thing has really gotten blown out of proportion over the years.

56BISON73
01-22-2009, 01:09 AM
The press conference was simply to announce the upcoming season's football schedule. NDSU just happened to not be on it. This whole press conference thing has really gotten blown out of proportion over the years.

Its taken on a life of its own. Ive heard so many variations of it that its hard to ascertain what the actual purpose was. PL

Da Bison
01-22-2009, 01:18 AM

RT got up for the cameras and with his best pornstache grin went thru the firetrucks upcoming schedule.

All the reporters in the room were asking about the Bison game. He smirked and said we aren't playing them. When pressed he just smiled.:hide: :hide:

lakesbison
01-22-2009, 01:33 AM
the local tv stations HAVE the press conference on file. (dont let hammer, mcfooly and ed schultz be the LOUD minority!!)

DONT WORRY.. IM MAKING SURE THIS GAME WONT TAKE PLACE... and there are plenty more people on my side.. than the other.

especially some in Bismarck...*winky winky!!*

NorthernBison
01-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Its taken on a life of its own. Ive heard so many variations of it that its hard to ascertain what the actual purpose was. PL

That's quite true. There is one fact that cannot be disputed and created some hard feelings that continue to linger. Gene Taylor found out about the UND scheduling decision as a result of the press conference and a phone call from a media person wanting to get his reaction. Roger Thomas didn't have the decency to pick up the phone and call. I know this because Gene said as much on a radio interview. He didn't use exactly those words, obviously but, he made it clear that he and Buning discussed the need to communicate directly rather than by issuing statements through the media.

Until there is a real working relationship between the two athletic departments, we won't see much progress in terms of scheduling. Imagine what trouble could have been avoided with a little more professionalism.

56BISON73
01-22-2009, 01:36 AM
the local tv stations HAVE the press conference on file. (dont let hammer, mcfooly and ed schultz be the LOUD minority!!)

DONT WORRY.. IM MAKING SURE THIS GAME WONT TAKE PLACE... and there are plenty more people on my side.. than the other.

especially some in Bismarck...*winky winky!!*

Hmmm Does Gene Taylor know about this???? Hes already said we WILL be playing them.:nod:

BisonAccountant44
01-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Looks like there are at least some of our fellow alumns that support the bill.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=842745022&ref=ts#/group.php?gid=117073070243&ref=mf

lakesbison
01-22-2009, 01:39 AM
He's a TOOL... I just wrote him a nasty message from facebook.... he'll change his mind..

*(you cant see his profile unless he is a friend anyways)*

Shawn-O
01-22-2009, 01:44 AM
He's a TOOL... I just wrote him a nasty message from facebook.... he'll change his mind..

*(you cant see his profile unless he is a friend anyways)*

My you're quite the power broker on this issue...

Shawn-O
01-22-2009, 01:45 AM
That's quite true. There is one fact that cannot be disputed and created some hard feelings that continue to linger. Gene Taylor found out about the UND scheduling decision as a result of the press conference and a phone call from a media person wanting to get his reaction. Roger Thomas didn't have the decency to pick up the phone and call. I know this because Gene said as much on a radio interview. He didn't use exactly those words, obviously but, he made it clear that he and Buning discussed the need to communicate directly rather than by issuing statements through the media.

Until there is a real working relationship between the two athletic departments, we won't see much progress in terms of scheduling. Imagine what trouble could have been avoided with a little more professionalism.

Well said on all counts.

THEsocalledfan
01-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Well said on all counts.

Shawn-O, what has been the reaction on the SS.com board about this? I haven't stooped low enough to go back over their after dropping my IQ about 50 points by reading the Summitt/nickname conspiracy theories.....

Just curious if they all like this idea or not.

Kermit
01-22-2009, 02:47 AM
Good point. Lakes indeed is short. PL
My hearing aid isn't working. :D

lakesbison
01-22-2009, 03:07 AM
HATE ALL YOU WANT>..... STAY IN THE PAST YOU POISONED WEAK FEW!!!

VOICES HAVE BEEN HEARD, TAYLOR/CHAPMAN ARE NDSU's leaders, not you or the legislature!

UTH
01-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Originally Posted by 56BISON73 http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=245799#post245799)

I dont think that was in my original post?????:D

It's in your post now.:D

oh yeah - quoted for lakes

duluthbison
01-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Alright, I braved the hostile site to the north and only made it to page 3 before I couldn't take it anymore. It seems that alot of them up there seem to think that the problem lies with us. One even went as far to say "Where were we in 03!!!!"

***Disclaimer....I Did not write the following, it was obtained from siouxsports.com***

I agree to a point, but now that we're a counter, I really don't like the idea of entering into one-game, road-only contracts to play FCS opponents. I can only assume our administration felt like they had no choice, but this needs to be the last time we do this IMO. I doubt we'll ever see SFA or SE Louisiana come here.

This one is my favorite.....

QUOTE (GeauxSioux @ Jan 20 2009, 07:15 PM) *
Bill would require NDSU and UND to play an annual football game huh.gif

Where were they in 03?

I'm against government delving into such matters, but seriously, Taylor is not doing himself any favors when he talks to the media. He pays lip service to the rivalry eventually being resumed, but then he talks about all the reasons why it won't (at least not in a true sense of an alternating annual game). He basically repeats the stance he's had for a while, which is he has only three non-conference games and he would like two of them to be homes games and the road game to be against an FBS team. So unless UND wants to come to Fargo every year, he "can't see" an annual game happening. That's the kind of hard-line stance that might actually get this bill going somewhere.

I understand that established FCS football programs prefer 6 homes games and 5 away games, including an FBS money game. And I understand that if you're in a 9-team league and you stick to that preference, it leaves no room for non-conference road games against FCS teams, except on the rare years the NCAA allows a 12th game. But will the average legislator think that preferring 6 homes games every year is a good enough reason to prevent a true alternating rivalry from renewing? I still don't think this bill has a prayer of passing, but if Taylor keeps talking, you never know. If he would simply say something generic like "we're working on it," the bill would certainly be DOA.

I thought it was apparent here that Joe Chapman is calling the shots for NDSU on scheduling UND; Taylor's just the water boy. Faison's been around. He recognizes someone blowing smoke. (Don't we all here?) I presume the UND administration has concluded there may be some advantage in speaking publicly to make it exceedingly clear to the general public/casual fan just where the roadblock lies in resuming competition between the two schools. They must be thrilled with Taylor's help so far.

And in terms of conversation, Kelley and Chapman talk regularly -- hell, they even attended the Obama inauguration together. That's where this will be resolved, and a little political pressure on the side may speed the process.

You don't have to do much math to realize that, of course, the game now is more important to UND than NDSU. MVFC=9. Great West=5. But NDSU struggled through without the game and UND will, too, if need be.

I agree, the legislature has more important issues to deal with and I'm sure they'll get around to them. This won't take much time. The filing of the bill was more about publicity than legislation, and that goal has already been reached, as evidenced by the local newspapers/newscasts.

I'm not sure I buy the notion that playing UND is a "net negative' for NDSU when you compare the price of FSC guarantees vs a biennial bus trip to Grand Forks plus a huge statewide TV audience annually. But even if it is, what does that do to the NDSU argument that the teams would still be playing if only UND had agreed to continue when NDSU jumped divisions? Would the economics, as interpreted by Gene Taylor, be any different today?

I understand you don't want the schools to play. If I venture into Bisonville, a lot of your buds there don't, either. But while zealots like you and me dig our heels in, a lot of sports fans from across the state are cheated out of a game that was viewed as one of the premiere sports/social events of the year. I'm not sure how those fans view the argument coming from NDSU, located in "Imperial Cass County," that the schools won't play in football because NDSU can make more money elsewhere.

Gee I didn't know our beloved county was royal!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

56BISON73
01-22-2009, 05:33 AM
Alright, I braved the hostile site to the north and only made it to page 3 before I couldn't take it anymore. It seems that alot of them up there seem to think that the problem lies with us. One even went as far to say "Where were we in 03!!!!"

***Disclaimer....I Did not write the following, it was obtained from siouxsports.com***

This one is my favorite.....

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Much of what was quoted rings very true. PL

duluthbison
01-22-2009, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I agree but I still can't help but get a sense of hostility towards NDSU for this whole rivalry thing. I guess my best example from above was the poster who said "Where were we in 2003." Even though in 2003, his school was trying to craft legislation to stop the state from giving any D1 school money after a certain date (please correct me if i am wrong).

Twentysix
01-22-2009, 09:32 AM

Imperial doesnt really mean royal, it means all resources are devoted to the cause of the discussed state. In this case Cass county.

Obvs this und poster is a noob sauce, (the guy from SS not the quoter). Mostly because if we did get "All resources" devoted to us we would roxx so hard UND would struggle against DSU. :D...oh wait...god i forgot about basketball....

NDSU1980
01-22-2009, 01:10 PM

I suppose next you are going to claim und isn't begging, pleading and groveling for a game with NDSU either. Yea, right.

NorthernBison
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
I suppose next you are going to claim und isn't begging, pleading and groveling for a game with NDSU either. Yea, right.

They aren't pleading for a game officially. UND hasn't asked NDSU to schedule a game. Apparently, Faison and Taylor have never talked to each other. I wonder how anybody can say that NDSU has refused to play when there hasn't been a request. Read McFeely in the Forum.

Bison Dan
01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
They aren't pleading for a game officially. UND hasn't asked NDSU to schedule a game. Apparently, Faison and Taylor have never talked to each other. I wonder how anybody can say that NDSU has refused to play when there hasn't been a request. Read McFeely in the Forum.

How stupid does this make und and Faison look? REALLY STUPID!

Tatanka
01-22-2009, 02:27 PM

Actually, the press conference I'm thinking of included not just football but basketball as well. There were statements made at that press conference and at subsequent interviews by Thomas, Roebuck, and Glas regarding NDSU's decision to move up and teh university's decision not to play in basketball and football. Basically it was at this presser that the die was cast. The fact that NDSU found out about the whole thing via the press asking for feedback speaks for itself.

The Dakota Student's take, for those with short memories: http://media.www.dakotastudent.com/media/storage/paper970/news/2004/02/13/Sectionssports/Und-Says.so.Long.To.Ndsu-1773368.shtml

There was plenty of other coverage from the fishwraps in Fargo and el Forko Grande but the Forum website upgrade seems to have relocated them. old links don't work.

I bring this back up not to rehash past events but to politely rebut revisionist history.

Also, please recall the media shitstorm that greeted NDSU's decision from every angle every step of the way. The University has had very little by comparison (if any). Food for thought. Flame away.

THEsocalledfan
01-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Actually, the press conference I'm thinking of included not just football but basketball as well. There were statements made at that press conference and at subsequent interviews by Thomas, Roebuck, and Glas regarding NDSU's decision to move up and teh university's decision not to play in basketball and football. Basically it was at this presser that the die was cast. The fact that NDSU found out about the whole thing via the press asking for feedback speaks for itself.

The Dakota Student's take, for those with short memories: http://media.www.dakotastudent.com/media/storage/paper970/news/2004/02/13/Sectionssports/Und-Says.so.Long.To.Ndsu-1773368.shtml

There was plenty of other coverage from the fishwraps in Fargo and el Forko Grande but the Forum website upgrade seems to have relocated them. old links don't work.

I bring this back up not to rehash past events but to politely rebut revisionist history.

Also, please recall the media shitstorm that greeted NDSU's decision from every angle every step of the way. The University has had very little by comparison (if any). Food for thought. Flame away.

Thanks for bringing this up, but I don't want NDSU to sink to that level forcing future legislative intervention. NDSU has been completely correct in handling this, thus far, as they have, and this is adequate payback (even though I don't agree two wrongs make a right). McFeeley wrote an excellent piece today that generally jives with my take on the matter other than I think the legislature will have a shorter leash on this; more like 4 years. Then, NDSU could be forced into something they have no control over. Better to make plans when you have control, than to have the government step in....

By the way, Taylor could just as easily call Faison. Let's not put all this on Faison.

Sorry, Lakes, but the end is comig.......Will you actually not attend when it happens?

tcbison
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks for bringing this up, but I don't want NDSU to sink to that level forcing future legislative intervention. NDSU has been completely correct in handling this, thus far, as they have, and this is adequate payback (even though I don't agree two wrongs make a right). McFeeley wrote an excellent piece today that generally jives with my take on the matter other than I think the legislature will have a shorter leash on this; more like 4 years. Then, NDSU could be forced into something they have no control over. Better to make plans when you have control, than to have the government step in....

By the way, Taylor could just as easily call Faison. Let's not put all this on Faison.

Sorry, Lakes, but the end is comig.......Will you actually not attend when it happens?

Faison made a big mistake talking to the media first instead of talking to Taylor. That is not the way to get things done and communicate. Maybe Taylor should have called but the mistake is on Faison not Taylor. Keep in mind it was Roger Thomas that told the media first that they were not playing NDSU anymore instead of calling NDSU about it. Maybe Faison will be just like Roger Thomas?

NDSUstudent
01-22-2009, 03:55 PM
I though Hallstrom's solution made a lot of sense..

2012 UND vs NDSU
2014 NDSU vs UND
2016 UND vs NDSU
....bascailly keeps going like that for as long as the schools want it to

Bison Dan
01-22-2009, 04:21 PM

WOW "Taylor could have called Faison" Please tell what for??? What part of we don't need or want to play them until their done with their transition don't you understand?

Bison bison
01-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I have been thoroughly impressed by Gene.

However, I have to admit ole' taylor has been kind of self/NDSU-centered.

The economy is in shambles, we're still in iraq, the bcs hasn't been abolished.

Step to it, Gene. Start making phone calls.

heckler
01-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Reply from Eliot Glassheim:

Aaron,
I fail to see why you think it's a waste of time to try to accomplish something
that many North Dakotans would like to see happen. I'm not sure how this has
anything to do with government. It has to do with requiring two
government institutions (universities) to do what sports politics has kept from
happening. All they have to do is schedule a game and play it. Fans will
pay money to see it and there won't be any political or government involvement in the game.
I'm really not sure what's bugging you.
Eliot Glassheim

I honestly cannot tell you what he means by any of this.

westriver bison
01-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Taylor's job is to take care of NDSU, yes be self centered toward NDSU. If and when we need a game I'm sure he'll be in contact. If and when UND wants a game I'm sure they'll be in contact. It is not NDSU or Taylors job to make UND's transition go smoothly, nor is it or was it UND's job to aid NDSU.

Hammersmith
01-22-2009, 04:41 PM
While I definitely agree that Kelley should put a muzzle on Faison in regards to talking about NDSU with the media, there is something to be said for what a few Sioux supporters have argued. Since this is clearly a decision that will be made by the presidents(Taylor has said as much during interviews), there really isn't much point in Faison calling Taylor until after Chapman has given the green light to Kelley.

I don't blame Kelley and Faison for the sins of Kupchella and Thomas, but I do blame them(Faison, at least) for not learning from those mistakes. One of the most insulting elements from 2003-04 was when Taylor learned about Thomas' decision through the media. Buning compounded the insult by trying to use the media to force NDSU's hand when UND wanted the game back. You'd think Faison(and Kelley) would be smart enough to not make the same mistake a third time. If I was Chapman/Taylor, I'd be tempted to add another year to the hiatus every time one of these situations occurs.

tcbison
01-22-2009, 05:24 PM
While I definitely agree that Kelley should put a muzzle on Faison in regards to talking about NDSU with the media, there is something to be said for what a few Sioux supporters have argued. Since this is clearly a decision that will be made by the presidents(Taylor has said as much during interviews), there really isn't much point in Faison calling Taylor until after Chapman has given the green light to Kelley.

I don't blame Kelley and Faison for the sins of Kupchella and Thomas, but I do blame them(Faison, at least) for not learning from those mistakes. One of the most insulting elements from 2003-04 was when Taylor learned about Thomas' decision through the media. Buning compounded the insult by trying to use the media to force NDSU's hand when UND wanted the game back. You'd think Faison(and Kelley) would be smart enough to not make the same mistake a third time. If I was Chapman/Taylor, I'd be tempted to add another year to the hiatus every time one of these situations occurs.

There must be something in the water up there that tells them that talking to the media is very good but actually having a conversation with NDSU is very bad.

Herd
01-22-2009, 05:25 PM
My rule with my little brother in the day was, "You hit me once, I hit you 3 times".;)

I never did get hit much by him, come to think of it.

Bison Dan
01-22-2009, 06:25 PM

That's still no reason for Faison (new kid on the block) not to call Gene the first day he was in the office. If nothing else just to get to know him and see what kind of guy Gene is and to start a friendship. (Remember he needs us not the other way around) It doesn't make any sense for Faison to wait for a green light (if that's even the case) and then start the process. You usually do business with people you like and know.

Bison"FANatic"
01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Ok here is my smack for the day. You say Faison was waiting for the green light. From who... everything has been so screwed up up there for the last few years they probably don't know who should be giving the green light to who. Maybe they are waiting on the tribes to give them the green light and they just forgot that they don't need their permission or do they??????? Maybe they need to go back down into the bunker and figure it out.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

HandoEX
01-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Looks like there are at least some of our fellow alumns that support the bill.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=842745022&ref=ts#/group.php?gid=117073070243&ref=mf

It looks like we need another group for the people that oppose the bill:nod:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/create.php?success=1&customize=&gid=62456186674#/group.php?gid=62456186674

RedRiver
01-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Forum Editorial Opinion: Mandate for game dumb idea

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/228618/

ndsubison1
01-23-2009, 04:24 AM
doesnt the government have better things to be doing? Let the schools decide who they want to schedule...

westrivbison
01-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Virgin poster here, so be gentle: Rep. Potter who sponsored the bill forcing the renewal of fooball game has lost one of its co-sponsors (story is on the Herald website)..... A Fargo legislator said he had received over 30 emails voicing their disapproval of this bill. Well, I'm happy to announce that I was one of them. I told him this bill ranked right up their on the moronic scale with the idiot who suggested spending 3 million for construction of a new governor's mansion. Hello to all Bisonvillers....... been reading Bisonville posts for a couple years and this is my first.

tony
01-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Virgin poster here, so be gentle: Rep. Potter who sponsored the bill forcing the renewal of fooball game has lost one of its co-sponsors (story is on the Herald website)..... A Fargo legislator said he had received over 30 emails voicing their disapproval of this bill. Well, I'm happy to announce that I was one of them. I told him this bill ranked right up their on the moronic scale with the idiot who suggested spending 3 million for construction of a new governor's mansion. Hello to all Bisonvillers....... been reading Bisonville posts for a couple years and this is my first.

Good to have some western posters on here (I'm from Mandan, btw)!

aces1180
01-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Good to have some western posters on here (I'm from Mandan, btw)!

So am I! The 'bad' side of the Missouri, haha.

BisBison
01-23-2009, 10:40 PM

What's with all the west river love? Mandan native here as well.

ndsubison1
01-24-2009, 12:43 AM

What does Mandan have that Bismarck doesn't?

A beautiful city across the river, haha sorry I had to... ;)

aces1180
01-24-2009, 12:45 AM
What does Mandan have that Bismarck doesn't?

A beautiful city across the river, haha sorry I had to... ;)

A bowling alley! Oh, and Mandan is a nice city, there just isn't shit there.

4mcruenomore
01-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Mandan has "The Broken Oar", and now "The Drink", very cool bars. I don't care what lakes says, the Oar in the summer is probably one of the coolest bars, never mind Mn lakes country, IMO. And I live in Bis btw.

tjbison
01-24-2009, 02:14 AM
Mandan has "The Broken Oar", and now "The Drink", very cool bars. I don't care what lakes says, the Oar in the summer is probably one of the coolest bars, never mind Mn lakes country, IMO. And I live in Bis btw.

Umm been to the Oar yes its a cool place BUT...............you will have a hard time competeing with the bars in Lakes country MN, during the summer!!! sorry man just judging from experience

aces1180
01-24-2009, 02:14 AM

Well, I grew up in Mandan and agree that the Oar kicks ass...Especially during McQuads or 4th of July weekend...However, I live in DL now and have to say lakes country is pretty sweet too!

4mcruenomore
01-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Yeah, you are probably right, I'm just a Homer for my home state. Bis/Man has come along ways, it's getting better. Let's put it that way, maybe not as cool as lakes country, but its good for me on a saturday night in the summer.

tjbison
01-25-2009, 01:19 AM
Post of the year. NDSU is ducking UND and that's pretty much all there is to it. There will be one less excuse for them not to play us next season when the Bison roll out the gate with a 2-5 record and the Fargodome doesn't even come close to a sellout. With the attendance and "we sellout every game" excuse gone I have no doubt Gene Taylor will come up with yet another even more pathetic excuse not to resume the rivalry.

Here is a post from AGS from a moron FIRETRUCK fan as to why NDSU needs UND! i think im gonna puke

fargocyclone
01-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Here is a post from AGS from a moron FIRETRUCK fan as to why NDSU needs UND! i think im gonna puke

Denial and a majorly distorted reality...

56BISON73
01-25-2009, 01:25 AM

Sounded like the fat kid that used to write for the und rag. PL

tjbison
01-25-2009, 01:34 AM

LOL yeah, I gotta quit reading that thread over there too, man!!

here is the link if anybody wants to get a good laugh!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55555

NDSU1980
01-25-2009, 01:35 AM

Trucks are a non entity for me. Just a bunch of pathetic whiners. Why don't we propose an initiated measure to force UND to play Mayville State. Heck, it would be a better game then U of Sioux Falls. I honestly think the sioux people have no grasp of the situation.

fargocyclone
01-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Trucks are a non entity for me. Just a bunch of pathetic whiners. Why don't we propose an initiated measure to force UND to play Mayville State. Heck, it would be a better game then U of Sioux Falls. I honestly think the sioux people have no grasp of the situation.

Hey that game would also be good for the state, wouldn't it? That's gotta be sound enough reason to do it, right? Just like the argument for the UND-NDSU game!

tjbison
01-25-2009, 01:41 AM

Honestly, Sioux Falls has been like National Champs in the NAIA 3 time recently I could be wrong, but I think the Sioux will have a game with them!!

Tatanka
01-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Honestly, Sioux Falls has been like National Champs in the NAIA 3 time recently I could be wrong, but I think the Sioux will have a game with them!!

You're not wrong on either account. Still, I'm glad the Bison found enough FCS/FBS opponents during their transition to avoid this kind of embarrassment.

Hansel
01-25-2009, 02:22 AM

anyone got the pic of him handy... i need a laugh

UTH
01-25-2009, 02:45 AM
anyone got the pic of him handy... i need a laugh

Warning: Reposted pic follows...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/SovakUNDporkchop.jpg

onbison09
01-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Warning: Reposted pic follows...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/SovakUNDporkchop.jpg

Wasn't he the guy that wrote the article in the UND student newspaper that said, "NDSU will never play a meaningful game in the Fargodome again."?

tjbison
01-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Wasn't he the guy that wrote the article in the UND student newspaper that said, "NDSU will never play a meaningful game in the Fargodome again."?

yeah, what a tool BTW you get Warnings on AGS for calling some UND fans a-holes:hide: :p :) :bow:

THEsocalledfan
01-25-2009, 05:05 PM

I was making fun of UND to some of my friends in Sioux Falls and they were like, "But Sioux Falls is good! They won the national title...."

I responded, "NAIA" and let my case rest. By the way, Mayville may be stooping a bit, why not the Beavers from Minot State?

Bison"FANatic"
02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
This goes down in the house 90-3

UTH
02-10-2009, 08:48 PM
This goes down in the house 90-3

Who were the 'yes' votes?

*sorry - too lazy to care to look it up myself:hide:

tcbison
02-10-2009, 09:20 PM
The House voted 90-3 against House Bill 1507, with sponsors Reps. Louise “Weezie” Potter, Eliot Glassheim and Corey Mock, all D-Grand Forks, voting in favor of it.

Green-N-Gold
02-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I wonder if the all the debate, etc on this issue was as "fun" as Weezie said it would be when she helped sponsor this nonsense.

Hammersmith
02-10-2009, 09:23 PM
I love bills that have fewer yes votes than sponsors(4 sponsors in the House, 3 yes votes - Scot Kelsh, Fargo co-sponsored it but voted against it.)

tcbison
02-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Frank Wald was a sponsor as well.

lakesbison
02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
We Kicked Their Ass!!!

Ha Ha.. Love It.. Bison Nation Rose Up!!

*holla!!*

Herd80
02-10-2009, 10:41 PM
You....are still an idiot.

It was DOA, and nobody kicked anyone's ass. There are silly ideas launched during every legislative session, and anyone with 1/2 a brain sees them for what they are without claiming victory on the field of battle, when there is no battle. If it makes you feel good, fine...revel in your victory.

That being said, it was a stupid idea and had no business wasting the time of a group who doesn't need anything to divert it's focus. More important things to do and all that.

lakesbison
02-11-2009, 12:19 AM
NO... YOURE THE IDIOT/...

THIS WILL SHUT UP THE MEDIA TYPES AND LAWYERS AND LEGIS. WITH UND PRINTED ON THEIR CHESTS..

THIS WILL END THE PISSY MATCH AND ALLOW NDSU TO KEEP RISING .................................................. .................................................. .....................ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as we should!!

NDSU has a 90-3 MANDATE to stay away from that trainwreck now!

unbison
02-11-2009, 12:25 AM
wow somebody got mad

wrote in CAPS

which is the same as yelling

oooh oh

NDSU1980
02-11-2009, 12:27 AM
You....are still an idiot.

It was DOA, and nobody kicked anyone's ass. There are silly ideas launched during every legislative session, and anyone with 1/2 a brain sees them for what they are without claiming victory on the field of battle, when there is no battle. If it makes you feel good, fine...revel in your victory.

That being said, it was a stupid idea and had no business wasting the time of a group who doesn't need anything to divert it's focus. More important things to do and all that.

I like to think Lakes is right. We indeed kicked und's ass, just like we always do. Doesn't matter if it's on the field or in the legislature. Just think of UND as being a bunch of losers. Saves time that way.

WYOBISONMAN
02-11-2009, 05:17 AM
Alright.......the bill is dead, and so is this thread......