PDA

View Full Version : Brost shatters record

JackJD
01-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Freshman Leslie Brost shattered the NDSU school record in the Pole Vault Saturday at the Bison Classic. Brost won with a vault of 13 feet, five and one-quarter inches. That vault, her first in a Bison uniform, is a provisional qualifier for the NCAA Division I Indoor Track & Field Championships.

Brost doesn't even start vaulting until most of the competitors have tried and fouled out.

The "old" record was 12 feet, six and a quarter inches set in 2004 by Julie Strenkowski (it was recognized as the indoor and outdoor record).

I know football and basketball are the big attention-getters at most schools but I hope NDSU fans recognize the school's top athletes (this doesn't take anything away from any other sports...it's just that these athletes are exceptional) are on your track team. Laura Hermanson didn't run Saturday but she'll have an outstanding season, particularly after performing well at the Olympic Trials last summer. Brost vaulted for the USA junior team last summer in Europe.

(Can you tell I'm a track fan? I was at the meet and didn't even have a kid participating.)

CarringtonBison
01-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Freshman Leslie Brost shattered the NDSU school record in the Pole Vault Saturday at the Bison Classic. Brost won with a vault of 13 feet, five and one-quarter inches. That vault, her first in a Bison uniform, is a provisional qualifier for the NCAA Division I Indoor Track & Field Championships.

Brost doesn't even start vaulting until most of the competitors have tried and fouled out.

The "old" record was 12 feet, six and a quarter inches set in 2004 by Julie Strenkowski (it was recognized as the indoor and outdoor record).

I know football and basketball are the big attention-getters at most schools but I hope NDSU fans recognize the school's top athletes (this doesn't take anything away from any other sports...it's just that these athletes are exceptional) are on your track team. Laura Hermanson didn't run Saturday but she'll have an outstanding season, particularly after performing well at the Olympic Trials last summer. Brost vaulted for the USA junior team last summer in Europe.

(Can you tell I'm a track fan? I was at the meet and didn't even have a kid participating.)

Thanks for the updates!!

Bisonguy
01-20-2009, 03:01 AM
My, oh my, what a debut!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

sambini
01-20-2009, 03:40 AM
Congrats Leslie++++

JackJD
01-20-2009, 03:46 AM
I should point out Brost was just three-quarters of an inch short of the BSA facility's record for women's pole vault. That was set last year by a Mankato athlete who went on to win the D II title (and she's darned good -- she set the D II meet record in 2007 and beat that last season).

You need to follow that track team up there. You have some outstanding young performers.

tony
01-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow. She has some skill. 13'9 won the DI NCAA title last year!

Killoran's debut was impressive too - lots of talent on the track team (although I couldn't help but notice how many SDSU tracksters won events).

Bisonguy
01-21-2009, 04:31 AM
Anyone know how track rosters work in DI??

I know at the outdoor meet last year at NDSU it seemed like half of the entire field was wearing SDSU uniforms.

JackJD
01-21-2009, 03:53 PM
There is a set limit to the number of participants each school can bring to the conference meet. Generally there is no limit for most other meets although there may be limits to the number of participants from one school in each event (not always true) and athletes are typically limited to four events (universally true).

With respect to the Summit League meet, I believe NDSU and SDSU entered the maximum number so the uniforms would be equal in number. Incidently, I think NDSU (SDSU, too) will push for increasing the number of participants. NDSU left athletes home last year who would have placed in the conference meet.

BisoninNWMN
01-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Cograts to Brost!!!!

Hermanson is going to kick butt this year also!!!!

Mens and womens T & F teams are very good here!!!

Castor Troy
01-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Both Bison programs have made a great transition to DI. I still believe that our first DI national champion will come from track & field. It could be Brost, Killoran, or Leutz. Any other guesses?

tony
01-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Both Bison programs have made a great transition to DI. I still believe that our first DI national champion will come from track & field. It could be Brost, Killoran, or Leutz. Any other guesses?

Agreed! They've done a great job - the one sport where there is no BS because the clock and tape do not lie.

Anyway, I think Laura Hermanson and Halley Odegaard have a shot. Obviously, Hermanson is already running great times, but who knows? Halley could hit another level this year.

Castor Troy
01-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Agreed! They've done a great job - the one sport where there is no BS because the clock and tape do not lie.

Anyway, I think Laura Hermanson and Halley Odegaard have a shot. Obviously, Hermanson is already running great times, but who knows? Halley could hit another level this year.

That would be something if the athletes you mentioned won National Championships this year. I am certainly cheering for both of them, but I can only cheer for Halley in the multi but not the indoor high jump. I know that records were made to be broken, I just like seeing my wife's name in the record books a little while longer. :nod:

Go Bison!