PDA

View Full Version : SDSU v NDSU recruiting/peeing contest

JacksFan06
01-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Jake Weiss (LB 6'3" 210 Roosevelt, Sioux Falls) had an offer from NDSU.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090107/UPDATES/90108001

OldBison
01-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Sounds like NDSU missed out on a good one :banghead:

Weiss would have played with Preston Evans, right?

bisonhusker
01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey....they kept an in state kid!!!! How funny is it that he said he had never been to their stadium. They get about 3,000 fans on hunting opener.

bisonmike2
01-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey....they kept an in state kid!!!! How funny is it that he said he had never been to their stadium. They get about 3,000 fans on hunting opener.

that's how I took it. The kids got a nice little 40 minute drive should he ever want to go home. He would have been a nice get but you can't win them all. SF Roosevelt runs a pretty good program and are consistently putting out some quality talent.

SDbison
01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
CHOICE - now how about a QB and kicker that did sell popcorn !! :D
Actually still need a couple QB's, a kicker and one or two WR's. So far 12 have committed to NDSU. How many recruits was NDSU looking for this year(I thought it was around 17)? So, if 4 more recruits are the positions I discussed where do you think a couple more positions will be....another LB, RB or otherwise?

SDbison
01-14-2009, 03:05 PM

Never saw Weiss on the list Tony had for offers or anywhere else. Maybe an errant statement by the kid or confusion by the writer. Could have also been an offer from North Dakota (UND). Sorry JacksFan, rare if ever a recruit would choose SDSU over NDSU. Even if you guys think you are now superior to NDSU after a couple narrow victories.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Never saw Weiss on the list Tony had for offers or anywhere else. Maybe an errant statement by the kid or confusion by the writer. Could have also been an offer from North Dakota (UND). Sorry JacksFan, rare if ever a recruit would choose SDSU over NDSU. Even if you guys think you are now superior to NDSU after a couple narrow victories.

The Jacks would appear to be having no problem recruiting athletes.

jackrabbit1979
01-14-2009, 03:18 PM

You got to be kidding me. Just because you don't see his name on the list means that he didn't have an offer?

You think the recruiting list at Bisonville is more credible as to who has offers from NDSU than words from the actual recruit himself or a respected beat writer like Terry Vandrovec at SD's largest paper.

You really need to get over your dislike for everything SDSU...it's obviously clouding your reality.

SDbison
01-14-2009, 03:23 PM
The Jacks would appear to be having no problem recruiting athletes.
So what is your point regarding my post? Yeah they have no problem recruiting, but that has nothing to do with the comments I was making........it is not very often that they get a recruit NDSU was going after. Also never saw this Weiss kid mentioned anywhere as an NDSU offer.....the post from JacksFan was trying to boast they got a recruit NDSU was after.

SDbison
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
You got to be kidding me. Just because you don't see his name on the list means that he didn't have an offer?

You think the recruiting list at Bisonville is more credible as to who has offers from NDSU than words from the actual recruit himself or a respected beat writer like Terry Vandrovec at SD's largest paper.

You really need to get over your dislike for everything SDSU...it's obviously clouding your reality.
yack rabbit get over yourself.......recruits often state they had a bunch of offers when they verbal that may have only been interest from another school. Also North Dakota and North Dakota State often get confused. Seems SDSU fans want to think their overall program is now better than NDSU's and can't wait come on this board and gloat about little or nothing. Go back to your rabbit hole.......

Kermit
01-14-2009, 03:34 PM
So what is your point regarding my post? Yeah they have no problem recruiting, but that has nothing to do with the comments I was making........it is not very often that they get a recruit NDSU was going after.

The Bison have recruited some good kids away from SDSU, but they certainly don't get them all. One example is Kyle Minett, who was second all-time in rushing in the state of Minnesota. Minett picked the Jacks over the Bison, and the Bison ended up with Pete Blincoe as the RB recruit that year. Thomas O'Brien, the QB from Winona Cotter picked SDSU over the Bison last year. I for one, would be feeling better about the QB position at NDSU if O'Brien was on the roster.

Bottom line, the Bison win many recruiting battles, but the Jacks are getting better every year. They've got an outstanding coach, and they aren't going away.

JACKGUYII
01-14-2009, 03:53 PM
The Bison have recruited some good kids away from SDSU, but they certainly don't get them all. One example is Kyle Minett, who was second all-time in rushing in the state of Minnesota. Minett picked the Jacks over the Bison, and the Bison ended up with Pete Blincoe as the RB recruit that year. Thomas O'Brien, the QB from Winona Cotter picked SDSU over the Bison last year. I for one, would be feeling better about the QB position at NDSU if O'Brien was on the roster.

Bottom line, the Bison win many recruiting battles, but the Jacks are getting better every year. They've got an outstanding coach, and they aren't going away.

Thanks for some sense of rationality Kermit. I know there are more South Dakota kids the Bison have interest in for 2009 that don't appear on Tony's list.

rutlandbison
01-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks for some sense of rationality Kermit. I know there are more South Dakota kids the Bison have interest in for 2009 that don't appear on Tony's list.
Don't mind SDbison he's a little nuts and doesn't like to see anybody out do his Bison.

jackrabbit1979
01-14-2009, 04:11 PM
yack rabbit get over yourself.......recruits often state they had a bunch of offers when they verbal that may have only been interest from another school. Also North Dakota and North Dakota State often get confused. Seems SDSU fans want to think their overall program is now better than NDSU's and can't wait come on this board and gloat about little or nothing. Go back to your rabbit hole.......

So if I follow you correctly...the comments about other offers and interest during the recruiting process is accepted as truth if a recruit commits to the Bison (examples seen in both recruiting threads), but if a recruit commits elsewhere than those comments can't be trusted. Makes sense. ;)

And SDSU fans can't post information/articles about recruiting verbals, even if it includes informaton about the Bison recruiting process, because it is only seen as gloating. But other members can post informaton about atheletes not choosing NDSU. Great.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
So what is your point regarding my post? Yeah they have no problem recruiting, but that has nothing to do with the comments I was making........it is not very often that they get a recruit NDSU was going after. Also never saw this Weiss kid mentioned anywhere as an NDSU offer.....the post from JacksFan was trying to boast they got a recruit NDSU was after.

My point is that your comment that SDSU "rarely or never gets a recruit that NDSU wants" is simply not true.

My take is that we get alot of players from bigger high schools that are more in the spotlight. SDSU has taken players that maybe don't have the same credentials and been successful.

Both systems seem to be working "okay". Recruiting is an art not a science,
just ask Charlie Weis

JacksFan06
01-14-2009, 04:30 PM

It wasn't my intention "to boast". Just to inform Bison readers that there was an offer out there that they weren't aware off.
Also, we have plenty of players that were offered by both schools, as do the bison. And even if your roster is loaded with players that chose NDSU over SDSU than I guess we are better for it having beat you 2 years in a row now. ;)

SDbison
01-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Don't mind SDbison he's a little nuts and doesn't like to see anybody out do his Bison.
Oh and I am supposed to apologize on a Bison messageboard for making comments about NDSU's football team. Do NDSU's fans have to be friendly to SDSU fans who come on this board and post about a verbal made to their team? I just raised some questions about the validity of information that the kid was a NDSU recruit.......also know that is why the SDSU fan posted it here. Personally I could give a rip about SDSU, its so called fans, and the crap town its located in. Also, I don't go to their message board to stir things up. Thanks Bisonville for your support.

rutlandbison
01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Oh and I am supposed to apologize on a Bison messageboard for making comments about NDSU's football team. Do NDSU's fans have to be friendly to SDSU fans who come on this board and post about a verbal made to their team? I just raised some questions about the validity of information that the kid was a NDSU recruit.......also know that is why the SDSU fan posted it here. Personally I could give a rip about SDSU, its so called fans, and the crap town its located in. Also, I don't go to their message board to stir things up. Thanks Bisonville for your support.
You don't have to rip em' a new for the stuff they say though. So what if we get a recruit that was "offered" by SDSU, can they question whether or not he really had that offer from their school, or can you only do that? I think it's interesting to see what kind of verbals other schools have, especially ones we will be playing for years to come. You wonder why they take offense to the shit you say. "So called fans, and crap town", what would you say if somebody said that about Fargo, or garreston SD.

tony
01-14-2009, 05:09 PM
This reference is by no means exhaustive. I know for sure that SDSU has won a couple recruiting battles with NDSU this year so I don't doubt at all that NDSU offered this LB from Sioux Falls. It's been my experience that it's much easier to find out who offered a WI or MN guy than a ND or SD one.

The Quick Reference is mostly to track who NDSU might be signing - if the first time that I hear about an NDSU offer is when they verbal to another school, I rarely bother to update the list.

SDbison
01-14-2009, 05:41 PM
You don't have to rip em' a new for the stuff they say though. So what if we get a recruit that was "offered" by SDSU, can they question whether or not he really had that offer from their school, or can you only do that? I think it's interesting to see what kind of verbals other schools have, especially ones we will be playing for years to come. You wonder why they take offense to the shit you say. "So called fans, and crap town", what would you say if somebody said that about Fargo, or garreston SD.
I didn't say the latter until the attack was on me. Obviously you have a problem with my opinion Rutland boy. Originally. I just questioned a statement by a Jack fan. Sorry I assumed most here might question the info rather than proceed to attack me also. I think you are the one full of shit so keep it to yourself bud.

jackrabbit1979
01-14-2009, 06:26 PM

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=240532#post240532

At least the SDSU fan posted a source to cite his information about the scholarship offer, I'm still waiting to find out where you saw that we offered the recruit referenced in the above link?

And for not "giving a rip about SDSU, it's so called fans, and the crap town its located in", you sure like to talk about SDSU. The post that started this whole mess had been there for nearly a week before you brought it back to the forefront.

wilson
01-14-2009, 06:27 PM
I didn't say the latter until the attack was on me. Obviously you have a problem with my opinion Rutland boy. Originally. I just questioned a statement by a Jack fan. Sorry I assumed most here might question the info rather than proceed to attack me also. I think you are the one full of shit so keep it to yourself bud.

I think the way you worded it is what's rubbing people the wrong way.

"Sorry JacksFan, rare if ever a recruit would choose SDSU over NDSU."

That's very arrogant and completely untrue.

rutlandbison
01-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I think the way you worded it is what's rubbing people the wrong way.

"Sorry JacksFan, rare if ever a recruit would choose SDSU over NDSU."

That's very arrogant and completely untrue.
Thank you Wilson. I never said i had a problem with you opinion SD, it's just when you say things like that people are going to question it, whether it be NDSU or SDSU. You are a very straight forward person and that is why some people have a problem with your opinion's.

lakesbison
01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
NDSU should NEVER lose a fball recruit to SDSU iF.. IF.. the kid is a star recruit...

obviously marginal players might choose sdsu over ndsu.

SirHinn
01-14-2009, 08:59 PM
NDSU should NEVER lose a fball recruit to SDSU iF.. IF.. the kid is a star recruit...

If that were the case, then NDSU should never lose a game to SDSU too.

bisonhusker
01-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Lakes, just be done posting. You bring nothing to the table and everyone knows what you are going to say. It is getting old.

bisonmike2
01-14-2009, 09:22 PM

And Don Lucia has cancer.

In case your wondering here is a excerpt from "Lakes Guide to Evaluating Recruits."

Kid has offer from NDSU and SDSU

Kid chooses SDSU - Lakes response - he was a marginal player, we didn't really need him.

Kid chooses NDSU - Lakes response - kid is a star recruit, SDSU never really had a chance.

CaBisonFan
01-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Both schools win some, and lose some, just like the games. Isn't that what a rivalry is supposed to be? I'm not arguing with you. Just being a part of the conversation.

Remember folks...this is a blog...not Coach Bohl's desktop.

bisonhusker
01-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Another classic from Siouxsports.com. Someone please stop me from reading it...although, the humor is priceless. last year, I remember cut and pasting an article where a recruit was talking about how they were telling them about the indoor practice facility....well, check this one out...

On the recruiting front, Conte has received the most recruiting interest from North Dakota.

"I talk to assistant coach [Tim] Belmore from North Dakota every week," he explained. "I am really interested in their program and I am trying to set up an official visit with them. Coach Belmar is an awesome guy. He seems real animated on the phone. He said that I remind him of a corner that just graduated from there that started all four years for them.

"Grand Forks, North Dakota, is kind of a small town and everyone looks up to the football players there. Coach Belmore said everyone in the town is at the games; it is like the whole town backs the team. That stuck out in my mind. I am just excited about that program right now."

Classic. "Everyone in town is at the games." Umm....unless you are unaware of the 3 home games, the NAIA school you will be playing twice, or dear opener....the games are not full. But, they do offer season tickets for $10. The fact that you won't play in the playoffs, won't play in front of a large crowd, are playing at a hockey school.....well....congrats. Idaho State didn't want to come back because they were "scared to get beat again." Quote from Dan Hammer....wait, but he isn't biased on that show.

Bison"FANatic"
01-14-2009, 11:11 PM
I read that to this afternoon is he in for a surprise. Is he going to be surprised when he gets to play USF in front of 4000. Now that is big timin it.

Here is a quote that once described our game against valpo and fits now that the shoe is on the other foot. Anyone remember the writers name He was a writing genius.

"A win is a win but when I'd still rather watch a team of midgets play a team of chimpanzees".

JACKGUYII
01-14-2009, 11:14 PM

Another pretty good player who doesn't mind taking his skills to a "crap town".
I have to laugh the most vicious Bison Fan as it relates to SDSU on this board lives in Garretson, South Dakota. I bet he gets a lot of ribbing after any kind of loss to SDSU if he is as outspoken at work.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c Post%3a6eeb15b9-f6a4-4a46-8c00-63cb873863dc&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.argusleader.com

onbison09
01-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Jacks didn't win this battle though- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alKmS1Tzn5c What a sweet hit!! Preston's going to be a monster.

Mr. Burgundy
01-15-2009, 04:03 AM
where was Preston from? That kid is a monster. That hit during the UNI game was Joe Mays like...oh, and he should wear #8.

RunDMc34
01-15-2009, 04:20 AM
not to really get into a peeing match with the rabbits, but shouldnt you keep your home kids in state if you really want them.

I mean when is the last time that SDSU got a big time North Dakota recruit that NDSU really wanted?

I dont know anything about rabbit recruiting but i would bet they wanted evans from Sioux Falls last season but we all know where he signed in the end.

JACKGUYII
01-15-2009, 02:56 PM
No question SDSU wanted Evans and I'm sure we made a big effort to get him. The Sioux Falls area schools are generating a lot of talent and SDSU is not going to get them all. I think Jake Weiss from Roosevelt will be a big SDSU contributor and we just landed Chase Douglas of Brandon Valley who is one of the most athletic big men in the area. http://www.ksfypigskinpreview.com/ptpersdouglas08.html

As for why we don't recruit North Dakota more I don't have the answer to that. I'm sure it's a combination of NDSU and UND football history and ability to put a fence at the border and a shallow talent pool.

bisonhusker
01-15-2009, 03:22 PM
There is clearly more talent in SD than ND on a regular basis.

Serious question....there were two lineman out of Brookings. SDSU signed one and UND the other. Are these kids any good? I am guessing SDSU didn't offer the UND signing, hard to believe he would leave Brookings and playoff potential, but I could be wrong.

Blue
01-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Serious question....there were two lineman out of Brookings. SDSU signed one and UND the other. Are these kids any good? I am guessing SDSU didn't offer the UND signing, hard to believe he would leave Brookings and playoff potential, but I could be wrong.
SDSU looked at both, decided one had more upside and potential than the other. Could the kid that went to UND played here? Yes. The Jacks had considered giving a scholarship for the UND kid but decided he might not have the potential as the one that signed here.

HandoEX
01-15-2009, 03:34 PM

Major? Just a guess. Football isn't everything:)

jackrabbit1979
01-15-2009, 03:41 PM

I think both had the frame and ability to play at SDSU...but from what I have heard one has a little more determination and dedication. I don't know if both were offered a scholarship in Brookings, I thought I heard that the other lineman chose a full scholarship at UND over partials at other FCS schools (SDSU, NDSU, etc.)

The lineman that SDSU signed, Alex Parker, was a beast on the field this past year. I saw him play a few times, walked in behind a Boise State coach who was observing at one of the games. His dad was a great player at SDSU too, back in the day. Alex supposedly had an offer from NDSU as well, but that is only from his mouth and what the Brookings Register reported so I'm sure it won't be considered true by some here. :)

jackrabbit1979
01-15-2009, 03:48 PM
not to really get into a peeing match with the rabbits, but shouldnt you keep your home kids in state if you really want them.

I mean when is the last time that SDSU got a big time North Dakota recruit that NDSU really wanted?

I dont know anything about rabbit recruiting but i would bet they wanted evans from Sioux Falls last season but we all know where he signed in the end.

I don't think SDSU even recruits North Dakota, but I could be wrong. I can't remember the last time we had a ND player on our roster. My guess is we don't recruit there because of the smaller talent pool and the fact that NDSU and UND have a lock (tradition wise) on a lot of the kids that are talented enought to play at this level. I'm sure we wouldn't have much luck getting kids to come south to play.

I think our proximity to IA and NE, the level of talent there, and the lack of other FCS programs make those states better draws for us than ND.

Either way, NDSU has had some success picking up some recruits from SD in the past years. Preston Evans, Gerry Ebel, Tim Popowski (from Brookings :banghead:), Buckman, Frick, Wellenstein etc. Hopefully we are starting to plug that leak.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't think SDSU even recruits North Dakota, but I could be wrong. I can't remember the last time we had a ND player on our roster. My guess is we don't recruit there because of the smaller talent pool and the fact that NDSU and UND have a lock (tradition wise) on a lot of the kids that are talented enought to play at this level. I'm sure we wouldn't have much luck getting kids to come south to play.

I think our proximity to IA and NE, the level of talent there, and the lack of other FCS programs make those states better draws for us than ND.

Either way, NDSU has had some success picking up some recruits from SD in the past years. Preston Evans, Gerry Ebel, Tim Popowski (from Brookings :banghead:), Buckman, Frick, Wellenstein etc. Hopefully we are starting to plug that leak.

( some guy named Chad Stark was stolen from Brookings a few years ago....)

JACKGUYII
01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
I think the real key for both schools is how we keep those big time recruits (FBS Caliber) in the state. Two of the Vikings starting linebackers are South Dakota natives Ben Leber (Vermillion) who went to Kansas State and Chad Greenway (Mt Vernon) who went on to star at Iowa. If we had been FCS at the time we might of had a chance at them.

JacksFan06
01-15-2009, 04:45 PM

Alex Parker was the lineman that we offered to. His dad was a TE for the Jacks and is now one of the big wigs at Daktronics. I hear Parker turned down looks from FBS schools from Big12 and Big10. Specifically I know Iowa State had an offer down.

CaBisonFan
01-15-2009, 08:49 PM

It must be really big news. Big enough to go on another school's board to announce that you kept one of your own. All I can say is:

Wow

CaBisonFan
01-15-2009, 09:02 PM
A South Dakota State recruiting thread on bisonville.

Strange indeed.

HandoEX
01-15-2009, 09:15 PM
It must be really big news. Big enough to go on another school's board to announce that you kept one of your own. All I can say is:

Wow

In the original poster's defense, the post made at the start of this thread was originally made in "2009 Recruiting: Quick Reference" thread and the topic and it's posts were split into a separate thread by a moderator.

jackrabbit1979
01-15-2009, 09:31 PM

Wow

He actually didn't even say SDSU kept him....his post (that you quoted and obviously should read again) just said that NDSU offered him and he posted a link to his source. Like I said before, it was pretty applicable to the thread it was in as it gave information about NDSU's recruitment of Mr. Weiss. Even though you didn't land the recruit, wouldn't you or other folks who dig the recruiting stuff still want to know you were looking at him and tried???

steelbison
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I think the real key for both schools is how we keep those big time recruits (FBS Caliber) in the state. Two of the Vikings starting linebackers are South Dakota natives Ben Leber (Vermillion) who went to Kansas State and Chad Greenway (Mt Vernon) who went on to star at Iowa. If we had been FCS at the time we might of had a chance at them.

HIghly doubt it..who in their right mind would want to live in Brookings??? Fargo I can see:bow: But Brookings?? PLease!!

UTH
01-15-2009, 09:40 PM
A South Dakota State recruiting thread on bisonville.

Strange indeed.

Just checked GoBison.com and there are currently 5 players from SD who are listed on the roster. While SD doesn't supply us with a mountain of players, I'd say that there is a common interest between the two programs and states. Also, there have on occasion been players who got offers from both. That makes this thread relevant in my mind.

UTH
01-15-2009, 09:42 PM
He actually didn't even say SDSU kept him....his post (that you quoted and obviously should read again) just said that NDSU offered him and he posted a link to his source. Like I said before, it was pretty applicable to the thread it was in as it gave information about NDSU's recruitment of Mr. Weiss. Even though you didn't land the recruit, wouldn't you or other folks who dig the recruiting stuff still want to know you were looking at him and tried???

What he said.

bisonmike2
01-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Well us recruiting buffs here on Bisonville only want to know about the big time recruits. And since he chose SDSU he's not a big time recruit. Had he chose NDSU, yes he would be considered a big time recruit and we would want to know more about him. C'mon Jackrabbit1979! Do I have to go over the "Lakesbison Guide to Grading Recruits" with you again!

:)

Rabbitlivinginverm
01-16-2009, 12:53 AM

I don't know if he was ever a "big time" recruit. But the last guy from ND that I can remember was DT Matt Anderson from Wapeton. He had a pretty decent career at SDSU from 98-02 (roughly).

tjbison
01-16-2009, 01:01 AM
I don't know if he was ever a "big time" recruit. But the last guy from ND that I can remember was DT Matt Anderson from Wapeton. He had a pretty decent career at SDSU from 98-02 (roughly).

He doesn't count!

:D :D

JACKGUYII
01-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Bryan Witzmann 6'8 255 OL Somerset, WI has committed to SDSU.

rutlandbison
01-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Bryan Witzmann 6'8 255 OL Somerset, WI has committed to SDSU.
Who???????

NDSUstudent
01-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Who???????

OL from Wisconsin, but I don't what he has to do with the recruiting/peeing contest, his offers were from SDSU, USD, and UNI.

JACKGUYII
01-16-2009, 10:40 PM
He was listed under your showed interest so not sure what NDSU's level of interest was.

Mr. Burgundy
01-16-2009, 10:58 PM
who is in charge of posting our verbals on the jacks board?

JACKGUYII
01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
I think you just nominated yourself!

lakesbison
01-16-2009, 11:42 PM
somerset is typical white trash wisconsin town. you can have him.

yippee.... sdsu verbals!!

Mr. Burgundy
01-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Lakes, please stop embarassing NDSU fans and yourself. Thank you.

lakesbison
01-17-2009, 12:07 AM
goto somerset sometime, im just stating facts.

CaBisonFan
01-17-2009, 02:19 AM

Up to this point in time, you are absolutely correct. We rarely lose a recruit to SDSU. They seem to be basking in the 'we're not as talented but we win' image right now...and I don't blame them. But they seem to find their own set of athletes that fit their program, and have a coach that knows how to use them.

But over the long haul, I've basked in the record that we have against SDSU. I wouldn't trade.

I have respect for SDSU's program...and the university as a whole.

I didn't realize that this thread was pulled from the 'Quick Reference' thread however. My bad folks. Thought it was a thread started by a Jackrabbit visitor. That changes the tone of this discussion. It 'is' relevant.

We have a nice young rivalry going. Let's work at keeping it as friendly as a rivalry can be. I have no appetite for the UND thing. That's not a rivalry anymore. It's a 'hate-filled' piece of garbage that has nothing to do with sports.

As SDSU's profile rises in the FCS, they will keep a few of their in-state players with talent...and having lived in Brookings, I know that they have more small cities (Mitchell, Huron, Brandon Valley, etc). They're very 'sports' intense.

We can't expect to pull every one of their athletes up to Fargo...just most. There's been a bunch over the years...but my favorite was Chad Stark from Brookings. I remember how upset SDSU was when he left town. Three national titles and a near-miss against Troy State with Chad and a whole lot of other great athletes from North Dakota, Minnesota, & Wisconsin (mostly). :D

PS - The object of moving up was to get regional kids to bypass places like St. Cloud, Mankato, Auggie, etc. Looks like both schools have done it. It's not surprising.

UTH
01-17-2009, 05:32 AM
Up to this point in time, you are absolutely correct. We rarely lose a recruit to SDSU. They seem to be basking in the 'we're not as talented but we win' image right now...and I don't blame them. But they seem to find their own set of athletes that fit their program, and have a coach that knows how to use them.

But over the long haul, I've basked in the record that we have against SDSU. I wouldn't trade.

I have respect for SDSU's program...and the university as a whole.

I didn't realize that this thread was pulled from the 'Quick Reference' thread however. My bad folks. Thought it was a thread started by a Jackrabbit visitor. That changes the tone of this discussion. It 'is' relevant.

We have a nice young rivalry going. Let's work at keeping it as friendly as a rivalry can be. I have no appetite for the UND thing. That's not a rivalry anymore. It's a 'hate-filled' piece of garbage that has nothing to do with sports.

As SDSU's profile rises in the FCS, they will keep a few of their in-state players with talent...and having lived in Brookings, I know that they have more small cities (Mitchell, Huron, Brandon Valley, etc). They're very 'sports' intense.

We can't expect to pull every one of their athletes up to Fargo...just most. There's been a bunch over the years...but my favorite was Chad Stark from Brookings. I remember how upset SDSU was when he left town. Three national titles and a near-miss against Troy State with Chad and a whole lot of other great athletes from North Dakota, Minnesota, & Wisconsin (mostly). :D

PS - The object of moving up was to get regional kids to bypass places like St. Cloud, Mankato, Auggie, etc. Looks like both schools have done it. It's not surprising.

QFA.http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/SmiliesThumbsupa.gif CBF, I confess I don't read many of your posts very closely. They're just too long. At best, I usually skim them just to get the gist. This one I had to read twice.

I approve. This is my nomination for the POTD.http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/saluteamericanflagsmilies-1.gif

gameday
01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Just a swag here, but don't you think North Dakota loses some potential football greats to hockey? Five to ten guys a year that would have been great football players go somewhere and play hockey. They probably never played football at all in high school.

tjbison
01-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Just a swag here, but don't you think North Dakota loses some potential football greats to hockey? Five to ten guys a year that would have been great football players go somewhere and play hockey. They probably never played football at all in high school.

If they have never played football, then I guess we will never know!:p

CaBisonFan
01-20-2009, 10:08 PM

I think that you might have a point here. Even in my small hometown of Mayville (2300), the club hockey program is very large. So at a young age the commitment to football isn't what it once was. The same could apply to basketball and wrestling. In places like Grand Forks & Fargo, it's highly possible that a few elite athletes never go out for football because of hockey.

99Bison
01-21-2009, 04:20 AM
If they have never played football, then I guess we will never know!:p

Uhhh yea, I would venture to say this is way more common in MN... How many ND kids even play college hockey... or any level of hockey to begin with? The whole state has about what 11 HS hockey teams?

Bisonguy
01-21-2009, 04:26 AM
Uhhh yea, I would venture to say this is way more common in MN... How many ND kids even play college hockey... or any level of hockey to begin with? The whole state has about what 11 HS hockey teams?

It did happen at the Fargo schools (South at least).

Starting in 9th grade, the FB coaches said choose either hockey or football, but not both. We lost some really good athletes from the football team that chose hockey (and that's back when Fargo South hockey sucked).

d3boys
01-22-2009, 01:03 AM
It did happen at the Fargo schools (South at least).

Starting in 9th grade, the FB coaches said choose either hockey or football, but not both. We lost some really good athletes from the football team that chose hockey (and that's back when Fargo South hockey sucked).

that must of been awhile ago
feeney and wilson encouraged multiple sports

Bisonguy
01-22-2009, 01:27 AM
that must of been awhile ago
feeney and wilson encouraged multiple sports

Early 90's- yeah, we were encouraged to be in multiple sports, but all the camps for hockey would cause them to miss out on fall/summer football practice. Football/track was the most common combination.

JacksFan06
01-22-2009, 04:34 PM
The peeing contest continues.

For those interested in seeing the Jacks recruiting list so far, or the QB who verballed today.

http://www.argusleader.com/section/sports

"under staff blogs"

I realize this thread should probably be moved to the Conference News section as most Bison fans could care less.

bisonmike2
01-22-2009, 05:13 PM

For those interested in seeing the Jacks recruiting list so far, or the QB who verballed today.

"under staff blogs"

I realize this thread should probably be moved to the Conference News section as most Bison fans could care less.

Ha, suckers! You can have your multiple QB signings. All that's going to do it breed controversy and bickering over who should start and why. You sir can have that. Here at NDSU we only need 2 QB's. One that's really bad, and one that's completely unproven. We tend to like it like that. Remember SDSU, you can have your multiple QB recruits but the jokes on you cause you can only start 1 at a time anyway. Ha ha!

/i'm going to go cry myself to sleep and tell myself that Bohl is goinng to pull a magic trick out of his hat come signing day.

lakesbison
01-25-2009, 07:28 PM
BUNNYTURD POST OF THE DAY!

Yesterday, 12:20 PM
Cowbell
Freshman Join Date: Jul 2006

Re: 2009 Recruiting Class

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the "old days", SDSU lost out to NDSU on a majority of kids. Not anymore. The success of the program, the respect for the coaching staff and the increase in fan support have all made SDSU a real viable option for talented high school students. Also, facility enhancement (Wellness Center, Dykhouse Center, upgrades to Frost Arena, etc.) has made a significant difference in how recruits see us.

NOT ANYMORE??? ARE YOU ON DRUGS?!?

Bisonguy
01-25-2009, 08:23 PM
BUNNYTURD POST OF THE DAY!

Yesterday, 12:20 PM
Cowbell
Freshman Join Date: Jul 2006

Re: 2009 Recruiting Class

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the "old days", SDSU lost out to NDSU on a majority of kids. Not anymore. The success of the program, the respect for the coaching staff and the increase in fan support have all made SDSU a real viable option for talented high school students. Also, facility enhancement (Wellness Center, Dykhouse Center, upgrades to Frost Arena, etc.) has made a significant difference in how recruits see us.

NOT ANYMORE??? ARE YOU ON DRUGS?!?

They must be doing something right. The trophy case upstairs in the Fargodome is getting pretty dusty with no Marker in the case the last two years.

lakesbison
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
like i told the SDSU players on friday night. in 2008, we were going for a better "draft pick"... 07 was a fluke.

no reason to worry bout the bunnies.

TransAmBison
01-26-2009, 01:53 AM
like i told the SDSU players on friday night. in 2008, we were going for a better "draft pick"... 07 was a fluke.

no reason to worry bout the bunnies.
They deserved to win both years. They played with a lot of heart and played to win.

BisoninNWMN
01-26-2009, 11:18 AM
They deserved to win both years. They played with a lot of heart and played to win.

Yes, SDSU played well the last 2 yrs but the Bison still "killed" themselves with mistakes.

Cleaned-up thoses mistakes and we win both of those games.....but part of the game.

Looking forward to the 09 Bison!!

CaBisonFan
01-26-2009, 12:25 PM

"under staff blogs"

Newsflash: SDSU isn't a laughingstock in its own state or the region anymore...after 4 or 5 decades. It can keep a few of its own state athletes away from NDSU. Some kids outside of South Dakota have even heard of the program.

cvbison1
01-26-2009, 08:05 PM

"under staff blogs"

SDSWHO????