PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Vigen is our New OC

tony
01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=3646087

Congrats to Brent!

bisonbrody9
01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Maybe he'll be able to get Mertens going in a good direction.

He should know Mertens and his skill set better than anyone in the world being that he was the qb coach.

sambini
01-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Congrats to Brent+++

BisonAccountant44
01-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Congrats to Brent!

Bisonguy
01-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Story from The Forum- http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/227886/

Interesting quote:
He said the West Coast offense will still be the team’s primary scheme, although he would like to use the quarterback as part of the running game more.

He mentioned this in his interview last night on the WDAY news, as well as trying to mix up the playcalling on first and second down as well.

17>1
01-15-2009, 05:35 PM
This excites me. It seemed to me that when Mertens was in scramble mode, he seemed indecisive and had happy feet, you know, just not real sure of what he wanted to do. On designed run plays, like we saw against SDSU, he looked great and fast. And I know this comment could go in another thread, but getting this 6'4" receiver excites me too. That's a big target for Mertens to hit. And I think because we had Heck and Alex, that some of those younger guys like Holloway and Williams just didn't get touches. The only time it seemed like they were used were deep balls down the sidelines. If we just get that Ericksen kid out of WI, I'd feel really good about our WR core. Schulty and Haynes lined up on the outside, Shamen in the slot, and I like our starters.

bisonhusker
01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I would really like to get Erickson out of Wisco. He looks very solid....Reminds me of Heck on his video. I think USD looked like they were in the lead on him the last article I read.

THEsocalledfan
01-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Very pleased that Vigen seems to understand that they can't run a classic West Coast offense with Mertens. Makes me feel better as I tend to have some of SDbisons reservations that we shouldn't just all jump for joy at this hire as Vigen needs to prove himself. However, Bohl's had a good track record and I wish Brent the best.

(Actually knew him in high school and college, but would not make Lake's mistake of pretending he was a close personal friend or that he would even remember me.....)

56BISON73
01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
This excites me. It seemed to me that when Mertens was in scramble mode, he seemed indecisive and had happy feet, you know, just not real sure of what he wanted to do. On designed run plays, like we saw against SDSU, he looked great and fast. And I know this comment could go in another thread, but getting this 6'4" receiver excites me too. That's a big target for Mertens to hit. And I think because we had Heck and Alex, that some of those younger guys like Holloway and Williams just didn't get touches. The only time it seemed like they were used were deep balls down the sidelines. If we just get that Ericksen kid out of WI, I'd feel really good about our WR core. Schulty and Haynes lined up on the outside, Shamen in the slot, and I like our starters.

The main reason for happy feet and being indecisive were the fact that he didnt have the ability to check off his receivers. When his go to receiver was covered he got happy feet(panic) and had a hard time trying to pick up another receiver on the fly.
If you watched him----as soon as he received the snap from center he looked at his intended receiver and never took his eys off of him. He never surveyed the whole field until it was too late.
So unless he can change his game the only receivers who are going to get touches are going to be his 1st intended target.
Lets hope he can utilize all of the targets this year and this new kid does sound promising. But of course Mertens has to get the ball to him.
PL

RedRiver
01-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Story from The Forum- http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/227886/

Interesting quote:

He mentioned this in his interview last night on the WDAY news, as well as trying to mix up the playcalling on first and second down as well.

Getting the QB involved more in the running game should help and I especially like the idea of mixing it up on first and second down. I thought we were more predictable this past year.

Bisonguy
01-15-2009, 11:08 PM
The full interview (~11:30) of Vigen by Steve Hallstrom is up at WDAY.com- http://www.wday.com/news/index.cfm?id=8199

rutlandbison
01-15-2009, 11:58 PM
WRINKLES, WRINKLES, WRINKLES!!!!!

In the offense that is.

A1pigskin
01-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Congrats coach Vigen.