PDA

View Full Version : Summit League Attendances

TheBisonator
01-13-2009, 02:29 AM
I've been keeping a track on the average attendances at all the Summit League mens games, and so far it looks better than last year. Only two teams averaging less than 1,000 per game, and one of them (WIU) is really close to the 1k mark. Better news is that there's 5 teams averaging over 2,000 per game with another two schools (UMKC and SDSU) just a decent showing from breaking 2k.

Contrary to the popular opinion that Summit League games are normally played in front of 500 people, the average attendance of a home game of a Summit team this year is 2,258.

Here's the averages through Jan. 10:

4,421 - Oral Roberts
2,896 - North Dakota State
2,607 - Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne
2,549 - Southern Utah
2,318 - Oakland
1,970 - South Dakota State
1,841 - Missouri-Kansas City
1,000 - Indiana-Purdue-Indianapolis (Tiny gym that seats 1,215)
969 - Western Illinois
701 - Centenary

NDSUstudent
01-13-2009, 02:38 AM
I really hope we can push beyond the 3k mark, these guys deserve big crowds as they head down the home stretch.

TheBisonator
01-13-2009, 03:30 AM
I really hope we can push beyond the 3k mark, these guys deserve big crowds as they head down the home stretch.

No kidding. I hope we can do better than last year's final average of 3,034.

BisBison
01-13-2009, 03:55 AM
I've been keeping a track on the average attendances at all the Summit League mens games, and so far it looks better than last year. Only two teams averaging less than 1,000 per game, and one of them (WIU) is really close to the 1k mark. Better news is that there's 5 teams averaging over 2,000 per game with another two schools (UMKC and SDSU) just a decent showing from breaking 2k.

Contrary to the popular opinion that Summit League games are normally played in front of 500 people, the average attendance of a home game of a Summit team this year is 2,258.

Here's the averages through Jan. 10:

4,421 - Oral Roberts
2,607 - Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne
2,549 - Southern Utah
2,318 - Oakland
1,841 - Missouri-Kansas City
1,000 - Indiana-Purdue-Indianapolis (Tiny gym that seats 1,215)
969 - Western Illinois
701 - Centenary

are these figures for Summit League games only? or do they include non=conference games as well?

TheBisonator
01-13-2009, 04:04 AM
are these figures for Summit League games only? or do they include non=conference games as well?

Every conference and non-conference game that a Summit team plays in their home gym is counted.

Germane
01-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Not to sound too defensive here, but Oakland's home attendance average so far this year is 5,791 (the 2,318 figure is only for games at the O'Rena). Check the official Summit League stat sheet.

The games we play at the Palace of Auburn Hills, the Pistons' arena which is virtually on OU's campus, are counted at home games. It's similar to the way UMKC plays some of its home games at Kemper rather than Municipal. Are you going to leave out UMKC's home games against IUPUI and WIU because they will be played at Kemper?

Oakland played Oregon at the Palace last year, Michigan and Michigan State this year, and (according to Kampe) we're about to sign a contract to bring in Memphis to play us at the Palace next year. These games are part of OU's season ticket plan, and we bring our student band, our dance squad, our PA guy, etc.

If the goal is to talk about the Summit League profile being on the right track, why would you leave out games like this which are among the most high profile home games in the conference? The Palace games are a big deal in this area, and the Memphis game next year should give the Summit great publicity.

bisonmike2
01-13-2009, 08:39 PM
So we have arguably the best team in the history of NDSU mens b-ball, competing in their first big dance eligible year with a team that's lead by 4 stud seniors and we aren't even avg. 3K a game? Why are some people adamant about getting a new arena that seats 8K plus? I would think a 5k to 6K arena would be more than adequate at this time. I know, I know, you want to have it big enough that you grow into it but even a 5K arena is still more the 2k more than we are averaging now and you have to admit that our current circumstances are extraordinary. I'm scared to see what the drop off in attendance will be next year.

bisonbrody9
01-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Because the BSA doesn't seat anyone. It just gives people a heated viewing space to jare their tailbones out of place.

bisonbrody9
01-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Its like the field of dreams: "If you build it, they will come"

lcbison
01-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Because the BSA doesn't seat anyone. It just gives people a heated viewing space to jare their tailbones out of place.

my buddies new shop on his farm is nicer than the BSA.

at least they got Geo-thermal heating.

IzzyFlexion
01-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Its like the field of dreams: "If you build it, they will come"

I think that there is good merit to that concept. New, combined with more comfort and atmosphere should translate into community excitement and more butts in the seats. And should also translate into a more appealing experience for more blue chip recruits that when sold on coming to Fargo will continue the level of play that NDSU fans have enjoyed with the current senior class.

TheBisonator
01-18-2009, 03:02 AM
OK, so I decided to add all games played in the home city, which includes a couple OU games at the Palace in Auburn Hills and a couple IUPUI games at Conseco Fieldhouse:

Through Jan. 17:

5,791 - Oakland
4,421 - Oral Roberts
2,613 - Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne
2,549 - Southern Utah
1,756 - Missouri-Kansas City
1,451 - Indiana-Purdue-Indianapolis
1,048 - Centenary
969 - Western Illinois

TheBisonator
01-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Oral Roberts set a season high in attendance against Southern Utah last night with 7,192 at the Mabee Center. 6 out of 10 teams in the Summit are averaging more than 2,000 per game.

Here's the latest stats:

5,084 - Oakland
4,786 - Oral Roberts
2,910 - North Dakota State
2,549 - Southern Utah
2,258 - Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne
2,154 - South Dakota State
969 - Western Illinois
917 - Centenary

IzzyFlexion
01-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Never knew this before, but according to IUPUI's website their gym (they call it "the jungle") has a capacity of a whopping 1,215!
I was one of over 2,500 at a high school game last night! (West Aurora HS in Illinois).
The Summit should require them to play all of their games at Conseco.
1,215!! Ridiculous!

roadwarrior
01-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Never knew this before, but according to IUPUI's website their gym (they call it "the jungle") has a capacity of a whopping 1,215!

Yeah, I've been there.

NDSUFan_Sav
01-26-2009, 03:32 AM

we will with more games at home it hurt when we had home games over break, but now with oakland here i think we'll have 3800+ and should have good showings throughout the rest of the season!

jackrabbit1979
01-26-2009, 03:34 AM
Oral Roberts set a season high in attendance against Southern Utah last night with 7,192 at the Mabee Center. 6 out of 10 teams in the Summit are averaging more than 2,000 per game.

Here's the latest stats:

5,084 - Oakland
4,786 - Oral Roberts
2,910 - North Dakota State
2,549 - Southern Utah
2,154 - South Dakota State
969 - Western Illinois
917 - Centenary

Question for anybody...does NDSU count tickets sold or butts in the seats for their basketball attendance? I believe NDSU football is tickets sold and was curious if basketball is the same. I think I remember hearing last year that Oral Roberts counts tickets sold and their numbers versus their actual attendance is very inflated.

SDSU's numbers are terrible right now for MBB (ex: there were a thousand more fans for the NDSU/SDSU WBB game this weekend than the MBB game) and there is no excuse for them, but they are actual attendance numbers versus tickets sold.

BisBison
01-26-2009, 03:46 AM
Question for anybody...does NDSU count tickets sold or butts in the seats for their basketball attendance? I believe NDSU football is tickets sold and was curious if basketball is the same. I think I remember hearing last year that Oral Roberts counts tickets sold and their numbers versus their actual attendance is very inflated.

SDSU's numbers are terrible right now for MBB (ex: there were a thousand more fans for the NDSU/SDSU WBB game this weekend than the MBB game) and there is no excuse for them, but they are actual attendance numbers versus tickets sold.

not sure as to the answer, but not nearly as big of a deal for bball as football. Nowhere near the # of season tickets.

IndyBison
01-26-2009, 02:07 PM
I was one of over 2,500 at a high school game last night! (West Aurora HS in Illinois).
1,215!! Ridiculous!

Most high school gyms in Indiana are bigger than IUPUI as well. In a city like Indianapolis there are many sports options and IUPUI just isn't one of the top options. In addition to the Pacers, you also have several IU, Purdue, and Ball State fans. The best college team in Indiana these days is Butler and it's only a few miles down the street. They have a great old gym that seats about 10k and they usually only get 6-8k per game (they did get 10k on Saturday, near capacity).

IUPUI does get mentioned on local media but it will never be a focus like you get in Fargo for NDSU. There's just too much other stuff. They also don't have the alumni support like NDSU. It is largely a commuter campus with a lot of part-time students. You also get your degree from either IU or Purdue so you alumni allegiances are usually with those schools and not IUPUI. That may change over time as they have now built up some decent athletic programs and have built more on-campus housing. But I doubt you'll ever see them over 1500 or 2000 fans per game unless they move up to a conference like the Horizon or Missouri Valley.

I'm just glad they are in the same conference as NDSU so I get to attend a game every year. I'm looking forward to the womens-mens doubleheader on February 7!

ndsubison1
02-01-2009, 07:05 AM
So how about SDSU bringing in 5740 in their game vs. Oakland? What say you Bison Nation?

Bison"FANatic"
02-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Must have been a 1 ticket 2 game doubleheader as SDSU doesn't come out to watch mens basketball, The women must have brought them in:D :D :D

BisBison
02-01-2009, 01:34 PM
So how about SDSU bringing in 5740 in their game vs. Oakland? What say you Bison Nation?

I say more power to them. :cheers: :cheers: That's the kind of support the Summit League deserves. The more schools that discover this the better the league will get.

lakesbison
02-01-2009, 04:54 PM
SDSU womens bball = ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

NDSUFan_Sav
02-02-2009, 05:44 AM
So we have arguably the best team in the history of NDSU mens b-ball, competing in their first big dance eligible year with a team that's lead by 4 stud seniors and we aren't even avg. 3K a game? Why are some people adamant about getting a new arena that seats 8K plus? I would think a 5k to 6K arena would be more than adequate at this time. I know, I know, you want to have it big enough that you grow into it but even a 5K arena is still more the 2k more than we are averaging now and you have to admit that our current circumstances are extraordinary. I'm scared to see what the drop off in attendance will be next year.

well for one our avg is down because of us playing VCSU, MSUM, Mayville, etc etc, once we get rid of those games our avg will go up, get a better non conf schedule in here and it will bring fans in and building a new place will bring some more as well I think building it to 6k is good and having it capable for more seating added if needed in the future.

Bison"FANatic"
02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
well for one our avg is down because of us playing VCSU, MSUM, Mayville, etc etc, once we get rid of those games our avg will go up, get a better non conf schedule in here and it will bring fans in and building a new place will bring some more as well I think building it to 6k is good and having it capable for more seating added if needed in the future.

A new place definitely will get more people in the building. I know a bunch of people that go once in while but just can't handle sitting with their knees in the backs of the people in front of them and having knees in their backs. Then add in that you have to be about 120 lbs to fit in the numbered seats without getting real acquainted with the person next to you. It is very uncomfortable, it may have worked 20 years ago but more is expected out of a sporting event for atmosphere and seating in Fargo now.

unbison
02-02-2009, 01:04 PM
i am sick of needing a new stadium... why cant we with all the supposed engineering prowess of this school create a partition in the fargodome so that all atmosphere would not be lost..... must be a way.... and would be far less expensive than a whole new building....We just got suckered into the up center when it could not pass on its own merit..... why should we pay for another arena

Bison"FANatic"
02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
i am sick of needing a new stadium... why cant we with all the supposed engineering prowess of this school create a partition in the fargodome so that all atmosphere would not be lost..... must be a way.... and would be far less expensive than a whole new building....We just got suckered into the up center when it could not pass on its own merit..... why should we pay for another arena

To many events already in the dome. Basketball would have to take up to many nights for just a few hours when you could have 3 day shows (boat show, sportsmans show, tech shows, farm shows and such) and other conventions and such at the dome

stevdock
02-02-2009, 02:38 PM

I completely agree, especially in these economic times. We keep hearing that the economy is not effecting us, but it's not going to happen like that forever. The last thing this city needs is to build another building they don't have the money for and basically for one tenet. I have no problem supporting NDSU but now is the wrong time to get something like this done for NDSU.

lakesbison
02-02-2009, 03:03 PM
here here. watched the fargodome hs games on tv on saturday and had some people that were there.

much much MUCH better than the BSA!

(plus we could have the west lot open!!)

ndsubison1
02-02-2009, 06:10 PM
here here. watched the fargodome hs games on tv on saturday and had some people that were there.

much much MUCH better than the BSA!

(plus we could have the west lot open!!)

the dome is TERRIBLE for basketball. It's not that great of an atmosphere and the seating configuration is weird, not basketball friendly at all. Wouldn't be the same

unbison
02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
is it really 34 million bad. come on!

Hammerhead
02-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Portland State plays in the Stott Center which holds about 1,500. Of course, the Trailbazers are the only team most Oregonians care about.

1,215!! Ridiculous!

TheBisonator
02-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Portland State plays in the Stott Center which holds about 1,500. Of course, the Trailbazers are the only team most Oregonians care about.

I guess I heard that Oregon and Oregon State don't even get good crowds according to PAC-10 standards...

TheBisonator
02-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Here are the averages as of last Saturday. (Note: Southern Utah did not report attendances for two of their home games, so I omitted them from the average)

5,084 - Oakland
4,786 - Oral Roberts
3,261 - North Dakota State
2,600 - Southern Utah
2,420 - South Dakota State
1,854 - Missouri-Kansas City
969 - Western Illinois
963 - Centenary