PDA

View Full Version : NFL vs. FBS

mebisonII
01-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Which would you rather watch?

I've traditionally only watched NFL on tv, but this year I've suddenly, for no apparent reason watched exclusively FBS. I think its partially the new rules speeding up the college game a little, the continually increasing production value of the college game broadcasts, and more knowledge of FBS teams and players (part of which comes from following the Bison in FCS).

aces1180
01-02-2009, 09:13 PM
I have a hard time following FBS football...Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to watch, but I don't have a favorite team in that division. I am, however, a Vikings fan, so I am able to follow them more intently. But since I am a Bison football fan before anything else, I follow anything related to them (FCS, Missouri Valley, etc.) a little more closely than FBS football.

CarringtonBison
01-02-2009, 09:14 PM
i love watching football, no matter what the level. if it is on-high school, any college level, NFL.... I am going to watch it if the wife doesn't inform me that i am watching too much :)

IzzyFlexion
01-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I have made quite the little transition over the past few years. Given the choice, I'd much rather watch an FBS game vs. and NFL game. So many more teams to follow, better atmosphere, hungrier players. One comparison that I think brings it home for me is that for the most part, these college athletes commit to a school and are there for their entire college career. (kinda like the old days of pro sports where a guy latched on to a team and stayed there.) Now some of these overpaid NFL, MLB, NBA pricks are loyal to only one thing..........the highest bidder. They bounce around like frickin' pinballs just trying to out-do each other with their contracts and such.

fargocyclone
01-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I voted for the FBS because, to me, there is so much more emotion in it.

On a side note, being a hockey fan doesn't mean that you are a UND fan. The Sioux still suck in that sport too!

Hammersmith
01-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Part smart, part stupid.

Smart: Since NDSU moved DI, I feel more of a link to college FB than when we were DII.

Stupid: I like the ESPN graphics better than CBS/Fox/NBC. I've gotten so used to seeing all the time/down/timeout info on the top bar, that it bugs me not to see the info on the NFL games.

fargocyclone
01-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Part smart, part stupid.

Smart: Since NDSU moved DI, I feel more of a link to college FB than when we were DII.

Stupid: I like the ESPN graphics better than CBS/Fox/NBC. I've gotten so used to seeing all the time/down/timeout info on the top bar, that it bugs me not to see the info on the NFL games.

Oddly enough, I totally agree with that!

4mcruenomore
01-03-2009, 02:02 AM
I've always been into college football, especially NDSU or other north dakota teams (Mary,DSU) I enjoyed watching the DII playoffs this year and I loved watching the FCS playoffs even more. I voted FBS b/c it was college.

Herd
01-03-2009, 02:06 PM
With Directv, there are more and more FCS games on each week, and that is what I prefer to watch.

missingnumber7
01-13-2009, 02:34 AM
I can't watch any other FBS games, hard to get into them. I watch the bison, and then the NFL. No real draw to D1 anymore...actually it got old when I played...I'll watch a bowl game or two, but college is much better in person, I was at the Holiday bowl in 2005 when AP and Oklahoma played Oregon. That was really cool...half green and gold, half red and white. They aren't as slow as NFL games are in person.

GOB1SON
01-13-2009, 12:20 PM
To me, FBS football is better hands down.

But I am a college guy and have spent most of my adult life on college campuses.

I have attended plenty of both, and for me, the atmosphere at a FBS, especially BCS conference game, is unlike any other scene.

If you haven't had the opportunity to travel to a game at Nebraska or Ohio State or Wisconsin or my favorite, Texas A&M, take a vacation and do so. I love my Bison and have attended almost every home game and quite a few away games over the past 5 years, but the Dome is pretty tame.

It is hard to beat the youthful exuberance of 25,000 students, full of passion and beer, standing and cheering at the top of their lungs for 3 hours straight. The rest of the stadium (somewhere between 50-75,000) is filled with alumni so proud and hopeful for their alma mater, praying for a win.

I just don't think the pro scene can compete to that. The fans are into it, sure. And I too, love my Vikings. But it too tame for me.

No, for my money, there is nothing like a college football game in the fall.

HandoEX
01-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I enjoy the NFL more for two main reasons. First, the parity in the NFL is great. Almost every game is competitive. There are so many FBS games that have a 20+ point margin of victory. To me, the regular blowouts aren't exciting to watch. Second, until a team earns a championship in the FBS, there really isn't a champion in my mind. The NFL gets so much more exciting in the playoffs and without that playoff excitement, FBS isn't as fun.

mebisonII
01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Interesting range of responses and reasoning. I think my interest in FBS this year has stemmed from me knowing more about the teams...both through following FCS, and living in a B10 town. Without any NFL teams in my area, and without much of anyone talking much about their favorite teams, I just don't know what's going on enough to get into it this year.

bisonwest
01-13-2009, 09:37 PM
I probably would say FBS, but since I cannot stand that a team outside of the "BIG SIX" confrences has no real chance at winning a national championship I'm going with the NFL. In my book, if you fininsh undefeated you're the champion! CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2008 FBS NATIONAL CHAMPION UTAH UTES!!