PDA

View Full Version : Kansas - Another Shotgun-Option Offense

CaBisonFan
01-01-2009, 12:41 AM
As I'm watching the Minnesota-Kansas game I can't help but imagine the Bison running the Kansas offense with some elements of option football out of the shotgun. Not sure if it's a full spread offense, or what...but there must be something about the vision that the quarterback has prior to the snap...and after.

With or without Nick at QB this coming fall...I hope that the coaches consider it.

BisoninNWMN
01-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Good offense....need a QB that makes good decisions:blush:

IMO.....I like the power-west coast offense but the spread is a very popular offense right now....many different versions.

.....anything that wins games:D :D

CaBisonFan
01-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Good offense....need a QB that makes good decisions:blush:

IMO.....I like the power-west coast offense but the spread is a very popular offense right now....many different versions.

.....anything that wins games:D :D

Whatever gives our QB a good chance to compete in the MVFC is fine with me.

Agreed :D

Shawn-O
01-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Whatever gives our QB a good chance to compete in the MVFC is fine with me.

Agreed :D

Whatever happened to the veer??

BisoninNWMN
01-01-2009, 01:16 AM

Ya, Georgia Southern used the veer to win what...5 or 6 NCs??

It's fun to watch Air Force run their offense!!

Shawn-O
01-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Ya, Georgia Southern used the veer to win what...5 or 6 NCs??

It's fun to watch Air Force run their offense!!

I was gonna go with "Lennon shut it down and your coach got shitcanned after running an outlaw program out of desperation", but that's living in the past. Carry on with West Coast offense bison football. Moderators, please move.

CaBisonFan
01-01-2009, 01:43 AM

I've asked this question of a couple of former players and the answer has been that the defensive ends (and others) started to become too quick and athletic. It ran its course.

I don't agree...but I don't know football like these guys do either.

We had a tradition...it worked.

I'm in the camp of anti-Entzion people. In my opinion...a big discipline problem becomes the responsibility of the A.D. ultimately. Rocky was the scapegoat for the stupidity of Entzion. Entzion couldn't discipline himself.

Things 'did' unravel as the discipline problems festered. We had the dominance, and we gave it away.

Shawn-O
01-01-2009, 01:58 AM
I've asked this question of a couple of former players and the answer has been that the defensive ends (and others) started to become too quick and athletic. It ran its course.

I don't agree...but I don't know football like these guys do either.

We had a tradition...it worked.

I'm in the camp of anti-Entzion people. In my opinion...a big discipline problem becomes the responsibility of the A.D. ultimately. Rocky was the scapegoat for the stupidity of Entzion. Entzion couldn't discipline himself.

Things 'did' unravel as the discipline problems festered. We had the dominance, and we gave it away.

I appreciate your candor, CaBisonFan. **biting his tounge till it bleeds**

CaBisonFan
01-01-2009, 02:22 AM
I appreciate your candor, CaBisonFan. **biting his tounge till it bleeds**

No problem. I remember being at the Augustana game in something like 1992 or 93 (thereabouts) and hearing people from the crowd yelling 'felon.' They had their point. It hurt a lot to see things going that way. You could feel the legitimate swagger going away...and then came the dome...yawn. I'm not a dome person. The FD is beautiful...but...it's a cozy environment for every team to come and throw the ball around in. Frankly, I think that the Ralph is a little too cozy also.

One of Craig Bohl's strengths is his decisive and consistent disciplinary philosophy. From a couple of inside sources...I hear only good things about what he teaches the players about how to act, and how to live. He gets criticized for being a CEO...but I think that in this era you need to be...along with being a father figure and a whole bunch of other things. Tough job. I couldn't do it. No way.

But the good news? We had the dynasty...boy did we...something that a lot of schools would die for. It took a while to build it...and I think that the sleeping giant has been waking up. The road to the 80s wasn't without bumps. :cool:

Bisonguy
01-01-2009, 03:18 AM
As I'm watching the Minnesota-Kansas game I can't help but imagine the Bison running the Kansas offense with some elements of option football out of the shotgun. Not sure if it's a full spread offense, or what...but there must be something about the vision that the quarterback has prior to the snap...and after.

With or without Nick at QB this coming fall...I hope that the coaches consider it.

The reasons cited by Bohl (the 'why don't we run more shotgun?' question is brought up a LOT on Prime Time Sports) are that there can be more problems with the Center/QB exchange and the QB drop is used for timing in the WCO.

I wouldn't mind seeing the shotgun more often. Bring back more of the 'predictably unpredicatble' aspect back to the offense.

Shawn-O
01-01-2009, 03:29 AM
No problem. I remember being at the Augustana game in something like 1992 or 93 (thereabouts) and hearing people from the crowd yelling 'felon.

My favorite was "shut up, you'll be working for us someday"

They had their point. It hurt a lot to see things going that way. You could feel the legitimate swagger going away...and then came the dome...yawn. I'm not a dome person.

I am....we were .800 in that house

The FD is beautiful...but...it's a cozy environment for every team to come and throw the ball around in. Frankly, I think that the Ralph is a little too cozy also.

That's what Klancher thought.

One of Craig Bohl's strengths is his decisive and consistent disciplinary philosophy. From a couple of inside sources...I hear only good things about what he teaches the players about how to act, and how to live. He gets criticized for being a CEO...but I think that in this era you need to be...along with being a father figure and a whole bunch of other things. Tough job. I couldn't do it. No way.

Bohl seems like a class act all the way...

From my inside sources...confirmed. Are you sure he's a fit in Fargo?

But the good news? We had the dynasty...boy did we...something that a lot of schools would die for. It took a while to build it...and I think that the sleeping giant has been waking up. The road to the 80s wasn't without bumps. :cool

The support is certainly there....FB is king at SU. If he loses to UND a few times...don't throw him under a bus.

CaBisonFan
01-01-2009, 04:30 AM
I'm really not in the mood for a pissing contest with you Shawn-O.

The flagship program at NDSU is football. It has earned that distinction. The flagship program at UND is hockey. It has also earned it. I support both. When UND is in the Frozen Four I am a Sioux fan...sincerely.

Both are great universities. My son is in law school at UND. Hell...I own two brand new UND shirts. Just so 'you' know Shawno...when I lived in Brookings in the 90s some friends of ours invited us along for one BB game a year (reserved seats). I chose the UND game to watch Ben (from my hometown), Guldseth, etc. Cheered like hell for them. It 'is' possible for a North Dakotan to love both universities. I grew up a Bison football fan. It began when Erhardt & Mudra brought greatness to the program...and others sustained it. My brother & sister went there during that era...and they brought their little brother along. I caught the Bison football disease. It's mostly incurable.

Rivalries go in cycles. You understood what I meant about the facilities. Calling a facility too cozy isn't a put-down. They're beautiful. I just loved the outdoor atmosphere at Dacotah Field. I'm a proponent of building a U-Shaped (25 thousand) outdoor football stadium someday. I'd like to get it back outside someday. It's about the atmosphere. But we need a DI basketball arena & softball facilities first...among other things. We'd need a Ralph E. to get that done in my lifetime.

Shawn-O
01-01-2009, 04:41 AM
I'm really not in the mood for a pissing contest with you Shawn-O.

Can't argue with you.

The flagship program at NDSU is football. It has earned that distinction. The flagship program at UND is hockey. It has also earned it.

Can't argue with you.

Both are great universities. My son is in law school at UND.

Tell Chapman to lay off the business program and focus on the sciences. Yeah, right! :)

Rivalries go in cycles. You understood what I meant about the facilities.

I'll shut up for now.

Happy New yEAR!

Shawn-O
01-01-2009, 04:54 AM
I was gonna go with "Lennon shut it down and your coach got shitcanned after running an outlaw program out of desperation", but that's living in the past. Carry on with West Coast offense bison football. Moderators, please move.

He's Good! He's REAAAAALLLLLY GOOD!

Mr. Burgundy
01-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Not only was Lennon an amazing coach. He was also very intelligent. That is why he left when he did. Serious.

4mcruenomore
01-03-2009, 04:37 AM
Sorry for this post, but I gotta:::

I used to read Shawn-O's posts, and respect him for a UND fan posting and giving us SU guys some info, but lately....
Hey, when did you turn into a complete DUMB FUCKIN' PRICK? Just curious, I mean, sorry your football team sucks ASS and your school hit rock bottom, but come on................................bragging about .800 in the dome? Shall I quote all the games we WHIPPED your ass? I don't care what the series wins/losses shows, you guys haven't done anything nationally with your FB team, you are nothing.
You have turned into a complete jerk lately with your posts and I'm on to you.

sorry.. end of rant.

Shawn-O
01-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Happy new year to you as well 4mcrue! I was at many of those games!
Thickened my skin up a bit I guess.

4mcruenomore
01-03-2009, 04:11 PM

LOL, sorry, you got under my skin.

CaBisonFan
01-03-2009, 05:18 PM

You wrote like it was thin & got into comparisons...so I'll be almost as rational.

Our club hockey team is just as good as the Sioux. It's a rich history...and very comparable.

:innocent:

4mcruenomore
01-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Preach it CA, preach it.........
Might as well move this thread to smack, it's on..

Shawn-O
01-05-2009, 09:58 PM
You wrote like it was thin & got into comparisons...so I'll be almost as rational.

Our club hockey team is just as good as the Sioux. It's a rich history...and very comparable.

:innocent:

Where exactly have I ever compared the traditions of the two programs? Going back through history, NDSU's is better, hands down. That said, the last decade, especially after NDSU moved indoors...UND had the better of it, by a substantial margin. Quite a bit different than "our club hockey team can beat your full scholarship hockey team". Ridiculous.

tjbison
01-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Where exactly have I ever compared the traditions of the two programs? Going back through history, NDSU's is better, hands down. That said, the last decade, especially after NDSU moved indoors...UND had the better of it, by a substantial margin. Quite a bit different than "our club hockey team can beat your full scholarship hockey team". Ridiculous.

That would be soo cool!!!!:p

CaBisonFan
01-06-2009, 02:36 AM

You mean it wasn't ridiculous enough to be obvious?

Still...stating that you owned the 90s on ah...bisonsville...is inviting much worse. I was joking around with you. I'm glad that you understand the history. Most UND fans either don't understand...or won't admit it...so I give you credit for that. I'm old enough to know that there was a time when UND really 'did' dominate the series. The 90s wasn't domination. It was a natural cycle within a rivalry. I 'do' think that the FD offered many teams a more level playing field for pitch & catch. Dacotah Field was a real homefield advantage. We gave that away when the city of Fargo (one or two guys) wanted a big civic arena...and used the Bison program to get it built.

Shawn-O
01-06-2009, 05:43 PM
For my New Year's resolution I'll quit bagging on Rocky.

[/thread]

BlueBisonRock
01-06-2009, 05:44 PM

[/thread]

Thanks.

Ohhh, you mean the other Rocky! :D

Herd
01-06-2009, 10:25 PM
When Steve Walker ran the NDSU, move the chains, Power West Coast Offense, I scoffed at the Spread. Look what we did to Ball State, C.Mich, MN, etc . . . we dominated the spread and controlled the clock until they said mercy.

After last year I am conviced that we need a QB that can run our offense, not change NDSU to sissy spread offense.

BisoninNWMN
01-06-2009, 11:34 PM
When Steve Walker ran the NDSU, move the chains, Power West Coast Offense, I scoffed at the Spread. Look what we did to Ball State, C.Mich, MN, etc . . . we dominated the spread and controlled the clock until they said mercy.

After last year I am conviced that we need a QB that can run our offense, not change NDSU to sissy spread offense.

Amen, brother!!!

Give me a hallelujah!!!!

:D :D :D :D

lakesbison
01-06-2009, 11:36 PM
minnesota's DUNBAR to NDSU??

Herd
01-07-2009, 04:04 AM
Amen, brother!!!

Give me a hallelujah!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Thank You Brotha!:cheers:

CaBisonFan
01-07-2009, 05:19 AM

The key words are 'when Steve Walker.'

Question: Did we really control the spread...or did our offense outscore it?

I'm not really into the full spread concept. My emphasis is more on putting the QB in the shotgun some, and adding some option running. Maybe I just described the spread. Not sure.

CaBisonFan
01-07-2009, 05:31 AM

[/thread]

So...there seems to be an inside joke here. Which Rocky are you talking about? Is it the one that coached a couple of national champions at NDSU...or somebody else?

Herd
01-07-2009, 10:52 PM
The key words are 'when Steve Walker.'

Question: Did we really control the spread...or did our offense outscore it?

I'm not really into the full spread concept. My emphasis is more on putting the QB in the shotgun some, and adding some option running. Maybe I just described the spread. Not sure.

C. Mich & MN (Controlled), Ball St. (??). Either way the sissy Spread Offense sucks.

Shawn-O
01-07-2009, 11:57 PM
So...there seems to be an inside joke here. Which Rocky are you talking about? Is it the one that coached a couple of national champions at NDSU...or somebody else?

Whichever one is the Harvey Hick. :D

Shawn-O
01-07-2009, 11:57 PM
C. Mich & MN (Controlled), Ball St. (??). Either way the sissy Spread Offense sucks.

Urban Meyer seems to have done okay with it?

rutlandbison
01-08-2009, 12:14 AM

Yes, as well as whittingham at Utah. West Virginia is another that did alright, Cincinnati, Texes Tech, Boise State, and many others.

BisoninNWMN
01-08-2009, 01:07 AM

Not very hard for Florida to get some of the best recruits in the country.

The "spread" is the "flavor of the month" in college FB......defenses will adjust like they always have. I remember watching a lot teams run the veer or triple-option...then the pro-set.......west-coast......

That's what is great about college FB.....variety!!

I like the Bison's power west-coast...but throw in a few more "wrinkles"....use some of the spread formations.