PDA

View Full Version : you want fans at womens bball ???

lakesbison
12-30-2008, 04:25 AM
if you want more than 1100 ...
then get JLO on the freakin' team..

guarantee 500 more people PLUS all of DGF would come support her!

are you serious? 8 players?? what a joke.

J LO.... J LO !!!! she said she'd play if asked!!

CMON DEHOFF!!!

NorthernBison
12-30-2008, 12:52 PM
I assume that there is a basketball scholarship available to do it. Right?

Herd
12-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Huh . . . she's already on scholarship. You don't get 2 full rides if you are playing two sports do you?

It's not a bad idea and shouldn't be an issue for scholarship dollars. Now if she tears up a knee, they'll be some splaining to do as the bison are poised to make several runs in ncaa volleyball in the coming years. This decision is not without risk, and if I'm the volleyball coach, I don't really like it . . . but as a fan I love it.

NorthernBison
12-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Huh . . . she's already on scholarship. You don't get 2 full rides if you are playing two sports do you?

It's not a bad idea and shouldn't be an issue for scholarship dollars. Now if she tears up a knee, they'll be some splaining to do as the bison are poised to make several runs in ncaa volleyball in the coming years. This decision is not without risk, and if I'm the volleyball coach, I don't really like it . . . but as a fan I love it.

What I meant is that there should be an open basketball scholarship. If she plays basketball, her volleyball scholarship gets reclassified as a basketball scholarship. If basketball had used all their allotted scholarships, it wouldn't work to have a scholarship volleyball player join the team.

roadwarrior
12-30-2008, 02:11 PM
There are many open women's basketball scholarships.

Bison"FANatic"
12-30-2008, 02:38 PM
if you want more than 1100 ...
then get JLO on the freakin' team..

guarantee 500 more people PLUS all of DGF would come support her!

are you serious? 8 players?? what a joke.

J LO.... J LO !!!! she said she'd play if asked!!

CMON DEHOFF!!!

So are you saying that Coach Dehoff should just put any and all bodies on the floor just so she has more than 8 players.:smh: We knew it was going to be a rebuilding year, give it some time and let it happen. We don't need to lose someone from another sport with a blown out knee for a season that is a rebuiliding one anyway. Give it a few years, give it a few years

roadwarrior
12-30-2008, 02:45 PM
If Jennifer Lopez was on the team, she would be the 9th player to get into the game and would play limited minutes. No one can jump into a program and immeditately be more than a fill in player. I'm not doubting her basketball abilities, but she has not practiced with the team for the past 2 1/2 months and does not know the offensive and defensive plays used by coach DeHoff.

Bison06
12-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I am not familiar with this situation at all, but a player getting injured is never a good reason to not play. If she can help the team win and is willing to do so, then there is no reason she shouldn't be on the team.

Elephants Dream?
12-30-2008, 07:15 PM
How about asking the proposed player if
she is interested in playing? She should
be part of the decision making process.
Has the b-ball coach asked her?

sambini
12-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Lakes has asked her right?

lakesbison
12-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh yea. I have asked her a couple times. (kelly lopez is a good friend of one of my best friends...) for those of you thinking I dont' know what i am talkin about...

the COACH has not even approached her.. I think that is the most perplexing question..

at least think about it.. that's all i am saying..

imabison
12-31-2008, 12:22 AM
Oh yea. I have asked her a couple times. (kelly lopez is a good friend of one of my best friends...) for those of you thinking I dont' know what i am talkin about...

the COACH has not even approached her.. I think that is the most perplexing question..

at least think about it.. that's all i am saying..
Why do you think its so perplexing that Coach Dehoff has not approacher her to play basketball?

How do you know that Hinterstocker and Dehoff did not discuss it?

I do not think Hinterstocker would approve of it, give the knees the off season to strengthen and rest.

medman
12-31-2008, 03:24 PM
i agree that he probably wouldnt let her but i also think it isnt really fair to the actual players to bring in another girl at this point in the season when they put in all the hard work and lopez would just come and step in

lakesbison
12-31-2008, 03:34 PM
"and lopez would just come and step in" AND DOMINATE!!!

SDHoopsfromSDSUFan
12-31-2008, 08:15 PM
It's been done before. SDSU men used two football players during the 2005-06 season mid-season and Rutgers women dressed two student-managers after injuries for the Big East tournament in 2004-05.

gobison1
01-02-2009, 01:15 PM
As big of fan I am of the Lopez girls...they need to stay in volleyball and leave their focus on volleyball. I watched Jenny play both sports in high school and she was a tremendous athlete...I think that if she tried to play hoops again she would be average at best. Don't forget that she hasn't touched a basketball in over a year. You can't just jump into a Division I program and be good just because you were a star in high school. Give DeHoff some time to get HER recruits in there and get HER program in place. GO BISON!

1bizon1
01-03-2009, 01:29 AM
As big of fan I am of the Lopez girls...they need to stay in volleyball and leave their focus on volleyball. I watched Jenny play both sports in high school and she was a tremendous athlete...I think that if she tried to play hoops again she would be average at best. Don't forget that she hasn't touched a basketball in over a year. You can't just jump into a Division I program and be good just because you were a star in high school. Give DeHoff some time to get HER recruits in there and get HER program in place. GO BISON!

The voice of reason.....thank you!

sambini
01-03-2009, 01:56 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IzzyFlexion
01-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Bison Hall of Famer Pati Rolf did the V-Ball/B-Ball combo in the eighties. (for only one season, I think)

aces1180
01-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Just to be clear...We are talking about this Jennifer Lopez, right?

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l254/mraile11/jennifer_lopez_south_park.jpg

BisoninNWMN
01-04-2009, 12:03 PM

Ya , good points but only 8 players!!!

We'll see where DeHoff takes this program. Hopefully she can take it to the level SDSU is at right now.......she has a long way to go, IMO.

I think we are in for a few "lean" yrs in WBB.

tjbison
01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't follow womens BB behind the scenes, so i have a question, why do we get into these "lean" situations? we only have 10 ladies on the roster, when the average number is 13? do we not have the schollys for 3 more kids? here is what the other Summit teams have

10 - NDSU
14 - Cent
13 - IPFW
12 - IUPUI
14 - SDSU
13 - UMKC
13 - Oakland
15 - ORU
14 - SUU
13 - WIU

roadwarrior
01-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Actually women's basketball gets 15 scholarships. Coach DeHoff has basically what she inherited when she was hired. And she was hired too late in the recruiting cycle to get any more impact players on the roster for this season. Her decision was to go with a smaller team this season instead of wasting scholarships on marginal players for this season just to get the numbers up. Its too bad that our leading scorer went down with an injury, because I think Abby's scoring will be hard to replace with the other players.

There is only one senior on the team this season and we have five commitments for freshmen coming in next fall. That will put 14 on the roster barring any other changes for next season.

tjbison
01-05-2009, 02:10 AM
Actually women's basketball gets 15 scholarships. Coach DeHoff has basically what she inherited when she was hired. And she was hired too late in the recruiting cycle to get any more impact players on the roster for this season. Her decision was to go with a smaller team this season instead of wasting scholarships on marginal players for this season just to get the numbers up. Its too bad that our leading scorer went down with an injury, because I think Abby's scoring will be hard to replace with the other players.

There is only one senior on the team this season and we have five commitments for freshmen coming in next fall. That will put 14 on the roster barring any other changes for next season.

Cool, thanks Road!

lakesbison
01-05-2009, 02:13 AM
J Lo

J Lo

Jlo!!!!

Get Her On Da Team!!!

UTH
01-05-2009, 02:19 AM
J Lo

J Lo

Jlo!!!!

Get Her On Da Team!!!

Tell us how you really feel.

[linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zso-qdvbAA&feature=channel_page)]

bisontown
01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Cripes Lakes, its not like J Lo is the world's greatest basketball player. She would be an average D II player if that. If she was so good, why didn't DGF get out of the second round of playoffs the past two years? You would think a DI player could carry a team into at least the sub section finals. Leave her on the volleyball team, a sport she excels at and leave the bball team alone. Everybody knew this year was going to be a struggle. Lets see where they are two years from now.

99Bison
01-05-2009, 11:36 PM
If you want fan's at women's basketball games either win ALOT continuously, or convince summit league schedule meisters for back to back double headers with the men's games.

IzzyFlexion
01-05-2009, 11:49 PM
If you want fan's at women's basketball games either win ALOT continuously, or convince summit league schedule meisters for back to back double headers with the men's games.

Conference games in the mid-eighties were heavily attended with this format. Granted, the stands typically wouldn't fill in until awhile after tip-off but people wanted to see these games as a valid prelude to the men's contests. I know that there may be reasons and/or arguements against that type of scheduling.....but those teams absolutely loved playing in front of those crowds and their level of play showed that. Women's college basketball IS entertaining and God knows Amy consistantly put a good product on the floor, but the reality is that fans need as many reasons as possible to come out and support it.

d3boys
01-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Cripes Lakes, its not like J Lo is the world's greatest basketball player. She would be an average D II player if that. If she was so good, why didn't DGF get out of the second round of playoffs the past two years? You would think a DI player could carry a team into at least the sub section finals. Leave her on the volleyball team, a sport she excels at and leave the bball team alone. Everybody knew this year was going to be a struggle. Lets see where they are two years from now.

if thats the case why did we recruit the kid from rothsay
how many games did they win

bisonpride
01-07-2009, 04:21 AM
I don't follow womens BB behind the scenes, so i have a question, why do we get into these "lean" situations? we only have 10 ladies on the roster, when the average number is 13? do we not have the schollys for 3 more kids? here is what the other Summit teams have

10 - NDSU
14 - Cent
13 - IPFW
12 - IUPUI
14 - SDSU
13 - UMKC
13 - Oakland
15 - ORU
14 - SUU
13 - WIU

Another reason may be APR. Anytime you add a player to your roster if you cut them even after one year, scholarship or not, it counts against your APR and if that rating gets too low it could loose you scholarships.

fargocyclone
01-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Another reason may be APR. Anytime you add a player to your roster if you cut them even after one year, scholarship or not, it counts against your APR and if that rating gets too low it could loose you scholarships.

APR... Average Passer Rating?? :confused:

Really though, what is this 'APR'?

Hammersmith
01-07-2009, 05:17 AM
APR... Average Passer Rating?? :confused:

Really though, what is this 'APR'?

Academic Progress Rate. It's a way of judging the academic success of your program that's not as one-dimensional as the graduation rate.

Simple explanation: Each scholarship student-athlete can earn two points per semester; one point for being academically eligible and one for actually returning. Divide the points earned in a particular sport by the points possible and multiply by 1000. If the number is below 925, penalties can be assessed(scholarship reductions). There are some additional elements, but those are the basics.

fargocyclone
01-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Academic Progress Rate. It's a way of judging the academic success of your program that's not as one-dimensional as the graduation rate.

Simple explanation: Each scholarship student-athlete can earn two points per semester; one point for being academically eligible and one for actually returning. Divide the points earned in a particular sport by the points possible and multiply by 1000. If the number is below 925, penalties can be assessed(scholarship reductions). There are some additional elements, but those are the basics.

Thank you!

Hammersmith
01-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Big news week for the Summit. Here's confirmation that changing the Thur-Sat-Mon is on the March agenda.

Summit to examine Thursday-Saturday-Monday schedule setup (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=227211)
(teaser article, more around midnight + 30)