PDA

View Full Version : One-bid Wonders

ndsubison1
12-27-2008, 05:43 AM
Found this article on ESPN. You need insider to view it. They predicted the winners from the one-bid conferences.

Summit League: North Dakota State Bison (7-4, 2-0) -- In their first year of postseason eligibility, the Bison have all the markings of a casual fan's beloved Cinderella. NDSU has already won two league games, are high on the national list in every offensive category, and already have a folk hero in Ben Woodside, the senior guard who scored 60 in a game against Stephen F. Austin.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3791796&name=ncbexperts

NDSU1980
12-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Found this article on ESPN. You need insider to view it. They predicted the winners from the one-bid conferences.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3791796&name=ncbexperts

I love seeing stuff like this. The only thing that worries me is I remember the football team being declared the number one team and look what happened. I do think the BB team can avoid many of the problems the FB team had. Wouldn't that be something, make the dance the first time around?

missingnumber7
12-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I love seeing stuff like this. The only thing that worries me is I remember the football team being declared the number one team and look what happened. I do think the BB team can avoid many of the problems the FB team had. Wouldn't that be something, make the dance the first time around?

BB team has been through a grueling conference schedule last year, this year was the FB teams first trip through said wringer. The experience last year will help this year.

bisonpride
12-28-2008, 03:25 PM

The football teams #1 ranking was based off of what happened last year. But when you lose players like Walker, Mays, etc... we felt like we could replace them easily and we found out real quickly they are not that easily replaced. That would be like picking us preseason Summit #1 next year despite losing Woody, Winks, Nelson, and Moorman. We should have been more cautious about the footbal team but we all drank the Kool-aide.

BisonBlogger
12-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Having seen every Summit team except SUU play a game or two in the non-conference schedule this season, I would say the conference is better from top to bottom. As we have seen, even Centenary, who has played a brutal non-conference schedule can be tough and will win some games at home.

Teams thought to maybe be in a down year like ORU and IUPUI have re-supplied and are again going to be very hard to beat especially at home.

Team like SDSU, UMKC and IPFW seem to be all improved and also will beat some people at home.

WIU is also dangerous. They gave Iowa a lot of trouble with their defense last night for most of the game. They have some very good athletes I would expect to improve scoring wise over the course of the season.

We all know about Oakland, they played Michigan State pretty much even up for about three quarters of the game yesterday. What scares you about Oakland is that they have quality scorers off the bench. They live off of a funky 3-2 zone that they play well which seems to do a very good job of cutting off most penetration. NDSU will need to find a way to beat this team with the pass and not rely on dribble penetration so much to score. They force you to change your offense to beat them.

Having said all this, Every conference game will be very meaningful this season. As with all conferences at the D1 level, road wins will come hard. Because of that fact, I do not expect any team, including NDSU to run away and hide like ORU did last year. The team that takes care of business at home and wins a few big road games should be in the hunt.

Should be fun.

CaBisonFan
12-29-2008, 02:48 AM

Thanks ming01.