PDA

View Full Version : CableOne HD

ThunderDan
12-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I have CableONe high defintion channels as I cannot get a satelitte dish installed at my townhouse..I was at my parents house for christmas and they have Dish Network....all i can say is, wow, CableOne has CRAPPY HD picture compared to Dish Network. My parents have the SAME EXACT television as me, so the tv is not the difference. the difference in quality of the channels though, is night and day.
I can't believe how bad CableOnes picture is for their high def....and please, no one spit out any garbage about buying a "monster cable" for a better picture.
Anyway, just wondering if anybody else has noticed the difference between sattelite dishes and cableone

tjbison
12-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Cableone sucks PERIOD!!!

lakesbison
12-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Cable one wont pay abc,cbs,nbc,fox,espn for hd directly...so thier cheap asses us a third party...
boycott cableone!!!

Bisonguy
12-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Dish Network and DirecTV both compress their HD signals slightly, but nothing compared to the crap that CableOne tries to pass off as HD.

I have an OTA for the local channels (which provides the full HD signal that nothing else offers), and when I switch over to the CableOne HD channels it looks really bad.

It also helps if you don't use CableOne's HD receivers and just use the HD tuner in your TV.

56BISON73
12-26-2008, 12:55 AM
Dish Network and DirecTV both compress their HD signals slightly, but nothing compared to the crap that CableOne tries to pass off as HD.

I have an OTA for the local channels (which provides the full HD signal that nothing else offers), and when I switch over to the CableOne HD channels it looks really bad.

It also helps if you don't use CableOne's HD receivers and just use the HD tuner in your TV.

Bisonguy
Whats the deal with the HDMI cable??? Ive read where its supposed to give -ALMOST HD quality if you use an upconversion DVD player??? PL

Ferd
12-26-2008, 01:04 AM
I have Direct-TV and am very pleased with the HD quality. The local channels are available on D-TV but only in SD quality. Fargo doesn't even show up on their list of cities to upgrade so I use an external antenna to get the locals- all 9 channels - in HD.

I have two HD receivers, one with DVR, one without. The one with DVR requires me to manually change the "Source" of my signal to get the locals but the other one has a coax input for the local antenna and does the switching internally.

My external antenna is mounted at the peak of the roof on my 1 1/2 story house and I still receive a lot of momentary signal disruption on the local channels. Once Direct TV launches local HD I will be a very happy camper.

Ferd
12-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Bisonguy
Whats the deal with the HDMI cable??? Ive read where its supposed to give -ALMOST HD quality if you use an upconversion DVD player??? PL

The HDMI cable connection currently provides the highest quality of both audio and video.

IF your DVD player supports up-converting you do get "near HD" quality playback on an HD TV. The highest quality will be with HDMI cables and a Blue Ray or HD DVD player and an HD DVD.

If the DVD is not created in HD quality you will never get true HD regardless of the type of player.

My personal opinion is that Blue Ray has won the format war so the very best sound and picture will come with a Blue Ray recorded DVD played on a Blue Ray player connected with an HDMI cable to an HD TV.

(You'll want to be sure your HD TV has at least two HDMI connections.)

56BISON73
12-26-2008, 02:06 AM
The HDMI cable connection currently provides the highest quality of both audio and video.

IF your DVD player supports up-converting you do get "near HD" quality playback on an HD TV. The highest quality will be with HDMI cables and a Blue Ray or HD DVD player and an HD DVD.

If the DVD is not created in HD quality you will never get true HD regardless of the type of player.

My personal opinion is that Blue Ray has won the format war so the very best sound and picture will come with a Blue Ray recorded DVD played on a Blue Ray player connected with an HDMI cable to an HD TV.

Thanks Ferd.
I was just wondering as Iam looking at DVD players and they are trying to package the cable with it. But since I dont have have an HD TV I figured I better ask. Thanks again. PL

Mr. Burgundy
12-26-2008, 02:08 AM
56Bison73, you NEED HD. It changes the way you watch TV. You will love it.

Midcontinent is the way to go. I get it. Soon Fargo will. Cableone is a mess.

Bison_Pride
12-26-2008, 03:10 AM
Cableone sucks PERIOD!!!

ditto

I've lived in a lot of different communities and by far CableOne delivers the least and charges the most. It's pretty sad when you can live in Buxton, ND and get better cable for less money than in Fargo.

Bisonguy
12-26-2008, 03:11 AM

Blu-Ray won the format back in January 2008, so it's not just your personal opinion. That's when Warner Brothers, the last studio to release movies in both BD and HD-DVD, announced they would no longer be producing HD-DVD. About a month later Toshiba stated they would no longer be producing HD-DVD players, and that was the final nail in the coffin for HD-DVD.

NDSUFREAK
12-26-2008, 03:13 AM
I have CableOne and the picture is great for us. We use an HDMI cord to plug into the plasma TV and nothing is every wrong with it

Bisonguy
12-26-2008, 03:13 AM
56Bison73, you NEED HD. It changes the way you watch TV. You will love it.

Midcontinent is the way to go. I get it. Soon Fargo will. Cableone is a mess.

As soon as Midco is in Fargo, I will be making the switch. Their interweb service absolutely puts Cableone's to shame.

Bisonguy
12-26-2008, 03:18 AM
I have CableOne and the picture is great for us. We use an HDMI cord to plug into the plasma TV and nothing is every wrong with it

That's because you have no reference to compare it to.

If you compared it on the same TV with an OTA antenna or dish, you'd feel like you only had half of a HDTV.

1bizon1
12-26-2008, 03:24 AM
Cabledone sux! How the heck they stay in business the way they charge for what they give?! Customer service means bend over and you'll get your service. Direct has been first class for us all the way. The HD is much better with our dish vs "theirs."

ThunderDan
12-26-2008, 03:35 AM
That's because you have no reference to compare it to.

If you compared it on the same TV with an OTA antenna or dish, you'd feel like you only had half of a HDTV.

Amen to that! I didn't think it was too bad until I saw what real HD is supposed to look like....CableOne is pathetic and the worst part is that they know it! But they don't have to change because they have a monopoly in Fargo. So they simply decide to continue sucking.

NDSUFREAK
12-26-2008, 03:45 AM
Amen to that! I didn't think it was too bad until I saw what real HD is supposed to look like....CableOne is pathetic and the worst part is that they know it! But they don't have to change because they have a monopoly in Fargo. So they simply decide to continue sucking.
maybe i should find someone who has DISH and watch their tv for a bit :D

tjbison
12-26-2008, 04:36 AM

Try something else and you will change your mind!!!

HooliganBison
12-26-2008, 11:01 AM

Does anyone know when their contract with the city of Fargo runs out. I know once it does they will either step up or get out. Unless....they put a bunch of money in all the city councilmens' pockets. Then we will continue to be screwed like we currently are. No competition breeds complacency.

bisonmike2
12-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Bisonguy

one thing I've discovered is the kind of DVD your playing in your hd upconvert DVD player makes a difference too. The newer DVD's look alot crisper than say a DVD from even 5 years ago. I'm guessing it has something to do with compression used to image the dvd.

Bison"FANatic"
12-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Mid Con has been nothing but great for service. It was night and day difference in the way we were treated between the two. Mid Con is going into Moorhead than I bet Fargo will be next. Cable One will have to step up to the plate and deliver or they will be gone to. Competition is great as it helps out the consumer.

Thunder_Struck
12-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Midcon has been great for me as well. I just wish they would offer Fox in HD so I could get rid of the HD antenna. At first they were slow at adding HD channels, but the last 6 months they have added alot. My emails to their customer service now only askes for Fox in HD. Other than that no complaints with Midcon, way better than dealing with DirecTv signal going out whenever it rained (ok maybe not every time, but enough to become annoying).

bisonmike2
12-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Midcon has been great for me as well. I just wish they would offer Fox in HD so I could get rid of the HD antenna. At first they were slow at adding HD channels, but the last 6 months they have added alot. My emails to their customer service now only askes for Fox in HD. Other than that no complaints with Midcon, way better than dealing with DirecTv signal going out whenever it rained (ok maybe not every time, but enough to become annoying).

Hopefully once we get past the digital transition in February the cable companies can start aggressively expanding their HD lineups. Right now alot of their bandwidth is taken up by the old analog channels and in February they can dump those.

99Bison
12-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Someone mentioned the compression of HD for both DISH and Directv, word on the street is that Directv does much more compression. Don't have an exact personal comparision, although DISH HD provided service looks fabulous. Also found some people switching from dish to directv needing to upgrade their cabling to get the signal through consistently as well because the dish HD needed more bandwidth.

Yo
12-26-2008, 10:57 PM
A little birdie told me that MidCon is working on property within Fargo for an office location. Be patient, "their coming"

coldspot
12-27-2008, 04:07 AM
A little birdie told me that MidCon is working on property within Fargo for an office location. Be patient, "their coming"

dont they already have an office set up pretty close to fargo? i vaguely remember seeing a midcon store in the strip mall across from walmart. probably just my imagination.

NDSUFan_Sav
12-27-2008, 12:30 PM
dont they already have an office set up pretty close to fargo? i vaguely remember seeing a midcon store in the strip mall across from walmart. probably just my imagination.

nope its there, but thats considered West Fargo I think???

roadwarrior
12-27-2008, 02:39 PM
nope its there, but thats considered West Fargo I think???

West Fargo starts west of there (on the west side of Lowes).

gotts
12-28-2008, 05:29 AM
I'm pretty sure Midcontinent has a shop in Fargo, off of 7th ave n and 39th st with rolls and rolls of fiber and coax...

Anywho, am I missing something that if you don't have a digital receiver, you can only get OTA HD channels through CableOne?

I noticed when CableOne started providing CBS and NBC HD again, the ESPN, ESPN2, A&E, and all the other good channels disappeared.

I hear it's more of a "we have to be able to prove you subscribe to this channel, so the providers don't think we're dicking them over," but it still kinda sucks going back to ESPN SD :smh:

roadwarrior
12-28-2008, 05:37 AM
I still have ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD with cableone.

gotts
12-28-2008, 03:37 PM
I still have ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD with cableone.

Do you have a digital cable box?

I used to get it directly from coax to my HD tuner, now they say I can't have it any more without paying for an equipment rental, regardless if I pay for it or not!

CableOne: "Watch you make us smile!"

roadwarrior
12-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Do you have a digital cable box?

Yes, but there is no specific charge on my bill for it. $33 for digital combo.

gotts
12-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Yes, but there is no specific charge on my bill for it. $33 for digital combo.

We have the cable/internet package. We were told if we wanted the HD channels, we either had to pay for an equipment rental, or add the digital package (where equipment is included, I presume).

tjbison
01-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I have Basic Cable/high speed Internet, I'm laying in my couch watching USC piss pound PSU and Blank goes me ABCHD channel, now its gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF!!! Bye Bye cableone:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

Civil06
01-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I have Basic Cable/high speed Internet, I'm laying in my couch watching USC piss pound PSU and Blank goes me ABCHD channel, now its gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF!!! Bye Bye cableone:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

I'm no cableone fan, but this isn't their fault. WDAYHD is also out with an antenna:mad:

tjbison
01-01-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm no cableone fan, but this isn't their fault. WDAYHD is also out with an antenna:mad:

Don't matter I've been gonna dump that sorry provider for a lOOONG time and this is the turning point!!:banghead:

aces1180
01-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Same issue in Detroit Lakes...Not the cable company's fault...WDAY's to blame.

NorthernBison
01-01-2009, 10:55 PM
I get both WDAY and WDAZ from Directv because I live in Cavalier County. It comes in handy now because WDAZ is fine. I usually get news from WDAY so I don't have to watch all the crap from Grand Forks (you know what I mean).

Right now I'm smiling that I can watch but I wish it was a better game.