PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on USC Game.

BisonBlogger
12-21-2008, 02:32 AM
Oh, what could have been. The Bison have their normal shooting game, they come home with another High-Major win.

Positives:

1. Woody played with 1 1/2 wheels and still was the best guard on the floor. Still was able to get to the rim with his hesitation moves.
2. Moormann did a fantastic job in the paint. He was getting help on Gibson, but at times I thought Gibson was frustrated on offense. Nelson held Lewis to 13 points under his average and Tveidt played a very active and athletic floor game today.
3. Kudo's to Jason Kemp and his scouting work formulating a defensive game plan. Tim Floyd did not want to talk about what the Bison were doing to his team on defense at the post game press conference. He said he did not want to verbalize it for fear of other coaches learning what the Bison were doing. Floyd was impressed with the Bison coaching staff's game plan.
4. Saul changed up and went zone for a few possessions today and if I am not mistaken, turned USC over on most of them. This is a great ploy for almost any game but especially when you are up against superior athletes.
5. The players looked relaxed and looked like they belonged. They need this poise to win road games in the conference this season.

Negative:

1. With the exception of Josh Vaughn today, the bench players just could not get comfortable. These guys all have experience now and must understand their roles and come in the game and do positive things. Catching the ball when someone passes it to you is the first step. The next is understanding when they have a shot, they should take it and take it with confidence. There is no question, that when the Bison need to win games against good teams in the conference, the games will be won or lost by what the bench players contribute.

Notes:

Drake killed Iowa today. Stephen F. Austin beat Drake. We played SFA to a virtual draw. You would have to conclude that the Bison are a very competive team at almost any level at this point. Lets hope they can keep improving over the course of the season.

I think we have to agree that Minnesota was the best team we played so far this year. Their win over Louisville today was impressive. Big Ten teams watch out. Tubby is going to surprise some people outside of the Barn this year.

Herd
12-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Tim Floyd with some nice things to say about the bison.

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=usc&media=97357

Mr_Meanor
12-21-2008, 08:09 AM
I think Minnesota is a legit top 25 team. They could make a nice little run in the tournment.

The one thing that killed the bison today was free throws in crunch time. If they make some key ft late in the game they probably walk away with the win. We do need to remember that this isn't a very good USC team. The Bison played well but the team should be disappointed because it's a game they should have won.

I was also suprised Saul didn't call a time out at the end to try to set up a shot for Nelson, Winks, or Woody. Granted Pennick got a very good look.

NWNDBison
12-21-2008, 10:45 AM
We do need to remember that this isn't a very good USC team.

So, #4 Oklahoma (undefeated) was having a bad day on Dec. 4 when they barely beat USC 73-72 in OK?

NDSU1980
12-21-2008, 01:20 PM
I listened to the game on radio yesterday. It's easy to think "what if", but the team certainly proved they can play a very good game. Way to go guys.

CaBisonFan
12-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I listened to the game on radio yesterday. It's easy to think "what if", but the team certainly proved they can play a very good game. Way to go guys.

They didn't look out of place at all...or like an overwhelmed team that was lucky to be in the game. They played against a bigger lineup, with purebred credentials, on their court, without 'any' help from the officials, and were totally capable of winning the game.

BisonBlogger
12-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Besides the poor shooting percentage in the game for the Bison. Gibson's 18 rebounds may have been the biggest factor, especially in the second half.

I remember several instances where the ball was up for grabs and Gibson went up over a crowd and rebounded the ball. He is the type athlete you see at the high-major level that generally make a difference against mid-major teams.

Offensively, I thought our guys pretty much ignored the shot blocking ability this USC team had. We took it at them pretty good.

Mr. Burgundy
12-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Taj Gibson is a freak. We may never play against a big that athletic again. USC always has a few of these athletes. He is 1st team all Pac Ten, and broke the season shot block record last year. No shock that he got 18 rebounds last night. He is a beast.

CaBisonFan
12-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Taj Gibson is a freak. We may never play against a big that athletic again. USC always has a few of these athletes. He is 1st team all Pac Ten, and broke the season shot block record last year. No shock that he got 18 rebounds last night. He is a beast.

He was in the category of men against boys. Could be an NBA player very easily. He's a rare athlete at USC. They usually get the 2 & 3 type players, with little inside game.

They don't have a point guard. The PAC-10 will expose their lack of a point man. Darren Collison at UCLA will have USC's guards for lunch.

Actually...our guys did too. We lost in the paint...and at the free-throw line.

Herd
12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
We let a winnable game slip away. We had the mental edge and started to fade due to fatigue and poor shot selection at the end. If you would have told me that it would have come down to free throw shooting by Woody and Winks, I would have bet you $100 on a bison win. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

ndsubison1
12-21-2008, 07:42 PM
He was in the category of men against boys. Could be an NBA player very easily. He's a rare athlete at USC. They usually get the 2 & 3 type players, with little inside game.

They don't have a point guard. The PAC-10 will expose their lack of a point man. Darren Collison at UCLA will have USC's guards for lunch.

Actually...our guys did too. We lost in the paint...and at the free-throw line.

Yeah Gibson pondered about going to the NBA the last two seasons but decided to stay. And I think Daniel Hackett is a capable point guard, he may be struggling a bit this year but he has proven himself in the past.

NDSUFan_Sav
12-22-2008, 09:20 AM
So, #4 Oklahoma (undefeated) was having a bad day on Dec. 4 when they barely beat USC 73-72 in OK?

well Oklahoma was struggling most the game against VCU....so maybe they aren't the #4 team in the country?

CaBisonFan
12-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah Gibson pondered about going to the NBA the last two seasons but decided to stay. And I think Daniel Hackett is a capable point guard, he may be struggling a bit this year but he has proven himself in the past.

USC didn't have a true point guard in the game. If Mayo had stuck around one more year they would have challenged the PAC-10...but most of the conference will devour them with pressure at the perimeter. They're filled with talent in the 3 & 4 spots. That's amazing. All thoroughbreds. Maybe they'll overcome the point guard problem because of that.

If we had had one big body against USC we'd have stuffed them by 10 or more. Once the ball got into the paint for USC offensively, it was usually a done deal...with a few exceptions.

The Bison played with great intensity and all of that. I was impressed with Saul's coaching...including his demeanor on the bench. The team did everything possible...except maybe hit a few more free throws near the end, and a couple of 3-pointers. But I think that they played their legs off to keep up with the athleticism of USC.

DeRosan took over the game with about 5 minutes left. He had the ball on every possession. Big, big talent.

NDSUstudent
12-24-2008, 03:17 AM
So what does USC do after almost losing to NDSU? They turn around and crush Georgia Tech 76-57. I don't know who said USC wasn't very good, but I still stand by my prediction of a borderline NCAA team that is capable of being much greater if their young talent gels. That team is just oozing with athleticism and Taj Gibson is easily the best big man we have gone up against.

roadwarrior
12-29-2008, 01:19 PM
USC beats Oral Roberts 66-56

BisonBlogger
12-29-2008, 08:15 PM
USC has pro athletes with an NBA coach at the helm. NDSU did a tremendous job hanging with these guys which tells me NDSU belongs in the dance this season.

Let's get it done guys.

imported_Bisongold
12-30-2008, 02:38 AM
WE were in a position to win that game which is all you can ask. Hopefully, we can win at least 50% of those type of games. I agree that I would have bet $100 down the stretch with Woody and Winks shooting FTs in that situation. Conference games are more important.