PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Game Misconceptions

56BISON73
12-20-2008, 03:52 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AsijF.k0xZXtOlLrFjODINAcvrYF?slug=jo-bowlfacts121908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

56BISON73
12-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Goodies from the bowl games

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=893028

lakesbison
12-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Shocker, even on xmas you dont get any replies....

i cant read what he said, but all i know is:
ball st & cent. mich & minnesota are in a bowl game, and NDSU BEAT ALL OF THEM!!!!! GO.BISON!!

56BISON73
12-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Shocker, even on xmas you dont get any replies....

i cant read what he said, but all i know is:
ball st & cent. mich & minnesota are in a bowl game, and NDSU BEAT ALL OF THEM!!!!! GO.BISON!!

As usual your response has nothing to do with my post and as usual you make no sense. Sad PL

TheBisonator
12-25-2008, 11:12 PM
If it turns out that a reasonable potential bowl game that NDSU could play in pays out more than the FCS National Championship game, then I'd say it's time to think about moving to FBS, considering the fact that schools like Incarnate Word and Erskine College are considering an FCS move.

I would hate to see NDSU once again lumped in the football hierarchy with the Shippensburgs, Central State Ohios and Puget Sounds of the world, like what happened throughout the 1980's.

TheBisonator
12-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Navy - Wake Forest (http://wakeforest.rivals.com/), Dec. 20 in Washington
The gear:
Sony portable DVD player
Embossed leather DVD carry case
Commemorative football
Custom die-struck medallion (same one was used for the coin toss)
Custom woven afghan
Embroidered beanie
Warm-up suit
T-shirt
Jacket
Sneakers
Gym bag
The verdict: Nearly every bowl gives out logo-laden swag such as hoodies, footballs and watches. The medallion used for the coin toss and the afghan are a change of pace … but not necessarily for the better.

Can somebody give me a list of goodies given out to Montana and Richmond this year??

56BISON73
12-25-2008, 11:20 PM
[b]

Can somebody give me a list of goodies given out to Montana and Richmond this year??

What was the corporate sponsor that underwrote the game???? That might give you a good idea of some of the perks. If there are any.. But I would expect a ring to be one of them. PL

Bisonguy
12-25-2008, 11:50 PM
[b]

A ring for the winner, and a bill for both teams.

One of the reasons why Montana had financial troubles a few years back was due in part to their 'success' in FCS.

stevdock
12-26-2008, 02:40 AM
If it turns out that a reasonable potential bowl game that NDSU could play in pays out more than the FCS National Championship game, then I'd say it's time to think about moving to FBS, considering the fact that schools like Incarnate Word and Erskine College are considering an FCS move.

I would hate to see NDSU once again lumped in the football hierarchy with the Shippensburgs, Central State Ohios and Puget Sounds of the world, like what happened throughout the 1980's.

So you would want to tell the athletes that it is more important to make money than it is to win a national championship?? That is absolutely ridiculous. I am one who hopes we never move to FBS. There is no point as all you could ever hope for in FBS is to win a CONFERENCE championship and 99% of the time play in a bowl game that nobody even cares about.

56BISON73
12-26-2008, 02:48 AM
So you would want to tell the athletes that it is more important to make money than it is to win a national championship?? That is absolutely ridiculous. I am one who hopes we never move to FBS. There is no point as all you could ever hope for in FBS is to win a CONFERENCE championship and 99% of the time play in a bowl game that nobody even cares about.

I dont know if youve noticed but not many care about the FCS Championship as well.
I think the better question to ask would be---do you want to go to a FBS bowl game or win a AA Championship. PL

Hammerhead
12-30-2008, 03:22 AM
Sure, the big bowl games generate lots of money, but so would a playoff system. If the FBS had 16-team playoff where all 15 games really mattered, don't you think the ratings would be higher than the current crop of bowl games? They could still have corporate sponsors like the Overstock.com first round game or the "I'm thinking Arby's" quarterfinal game.

Bisonguy
12-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Sure, the big bowl games generate lots of money, but so would a playoff system. If the FBS had 16-team playoff where all 15 games really mattered, don't you think the ratings would be higher than the current crop of bowl games? They could still have corporate sponsors like the Overstock.com first round game or the "I'm thinking Arby's" quarterfinal game.

22 teams minimum to avoid lawsuits, and the ratings wouldn't be nearly as good.

rutlandbison
12-30-2008, 05:44 AM
22 teams minimum to avoid lawsuits, and the ratings wouldn't be nearly as good.
Would you rather watch a 6-6 Notre Dame play Hawaii or a 6-6 NC State play Rutgers or would you rather watch Penn State vs. Utah or USC vs. Florida.

Bisonguy
12-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Would you rather watch a 6-6 Notre Dame play Hawaii or a 6-6 NC State play Rutgers or would you rather watch Penn State vs. Utah or USC vs. Florida.

Look at some of the first and second round FCS games. So far, I'd much rather watch most of the bowl games so far this year (i.e. Mizzou/Northwestern last night).

bisonhusker
12-30-2008, 02:07 PM
As a huge fan, I honestly cannot understand the logic of ANYONE not wanting a playoff system. There will be no less than three teams this year that will have a legit argument after this is all said and done. Would you want to play USC right now? I would love to see the team playing the best at the end of the year with a chance to win the title.

mebisonII
12-30-2008, 02:42 PM
As a huge fan, I honestly cannot understand the logic of ANYONE not wanting a playoff system. There will be no less than three teams this year that will have a legit argument after this is all said and done. Would you want to play USC right now? I would love to see the team playing the best at the end of the year with a chance to win the title.

I asked a Hawkeye friend of mine if he was a fan of bowls or playoffs and he said bowls. When I asked why, he said he thought the current system rewarded the team that was the best throughout the season, as opposed to a playoff that rewards the team that happens to be best throughout the season. I guess that's basically the "the season IS the playoffs" argument. I think that's a little flawed, but at the same time, the TT-Texas-Oklahoma games were pretty fun to watch in part because of the lose-and-you're-out factor.

SDbison
12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Amen Bisonhusker!
Like most everything else in America greed and a false sense of success has driven us to a lower standard. Bowl games are a farce. It's all for show and money, not about proving a relative hierarchy. 6-6 teams are getting bowl games now. With a total of something like 34 total bowl games half of all FBS teams get in a postseason "dumb a$$ corporate sponser - name your stupid bowl". What a joke!

GOB1SON
12-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Just like everything else, it is about money.

Get to a bowl game and reap the monetary reward.

The question the PL asked is a good one: Move up to FBS, go 7-5, get into (and maybe win) the AutoZone Bowl and get paid a handsome royalty; or stay FCS, win 10-12 games 3 out of 5 years and have a chance to win national championships?

steelbison
12-30-2008, 03:33 PM
I dont know if youve noticed but not many care about the FCS Championship as well.
I think the better question to ask would be---do you want to go to a FBS bowl game or win a AA Championship. PL

That's easy for me..Win a Championship!!! Or compete for one. At the next level it's a non-descript bowl game that no one cares about. The chance to win it on the field is a good thing.

Playing every year to go 6-5 and get in a bowl game is for losers in my opinion. If it is all about the money then we would do a lot of things differently.

bisondad
12-30-2008, 03:56 PM
I think for a city like Fargo and an area populated like eastern ND and NW Minnesota, winning the championship is better. There really is nothing better than finishing a season as an undisputed champion. In larger population areas where exposure and competition for the ticket sales is huge, the bowl game thing may be better for them.

bisonmike2
12-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Bowl games all the way! Do you guys know what the players get for competing in the bowls?

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsetta Bowl - players get a toaster, checking account with FREE debit card and the option of getting a BBQ grill or lawn mower if they apply for a home equity loan!

Meineke Car Care Bowl - Free oil change and muffler with lifetime warranty* and 50% off fan belts.
* for as long as you own the car, installation extra

Roady's Humanitarian Bowl - Free travel size coffee mug with lifetime free refills available at all Roady's Truck Stops. 50% off coupon for books on cd rentals.

Capital One Bowl - Interest free credit card and they wave the $39 annual fee for all players.

That's just a couple of examples. What do you get for the playoff post-season? A lousy championship ring and the right to call yourself a national champion? Pfft, I'll take the free oil change and muffler!:)

CaBisonFan
12-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I think NCAA make 4 wins bowel bid. They're fans woud like it.

CaBisonFan
12-30-2008, 04:17 PM

Temple and Minnesota woud be a reel good game. They coud play it every year and not half to worry about how many games they're win.

CaBisonFan
12-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Amen Bisonhusker!
Like most everything else in America greed and a false sense of success has driven us to a lower standard. Bowl games are a farce. It's all for show and money, not about proving a relative hierarchy. 6-6 teams are getting bowl games now. With a total of something like 34 total bowl games half of all FBS teams get in a postseason "dumb a$$ corporate sponser - name your stupid bowl". What a joke!

I like Citibank-Chick-A-Fil-IBM-Meineke-HP-Hardees-Phil Wong Garcia's Chicken Shack-Citrus-NRA-BM bowls. They better games. They're fans make ask for time off at work on December 20 evvry yeer.

IzzyFlexion
12-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Temple and Minnesota woud be a reel good game. They coud play it every year and not half to worry about how many games they're win.

Ca...
You OK? I mean, if you're celebrating New Year's early, God Bless you! Believe me, I'm not smacking you at all but your sentence structure and spelling is all over the map on this and the previous posts. Honestly, if it's just partying, then I'm all for it. But seriously, I just want to make sure you're allright.

Herd
12-30-2008, 06:37 PM
It doesn't have to necessarily be "Bowls or Playoffs". You could have Bowls that were not part of the playoff and other Bowls structured into a playoff system. If you start a playoff system, it does not mean that Bowls would have to end.

FBS could eliminate conf championship games then start with a 16 team/8 bowl game playoff, the winners of which would advance. Then you would have an additional 4-2-1 games (total 7 games). These 7 playoff games could also be Bowl games if that's what is needed to maintain bowls. The champion/runner up would play 16 games or +4. The FBS might need to move to an 11 game schedule to make this happen.

8 games (1st round bowls) 11 conf champions plus top 5 at large (Texas, Ohio St, TTech, Alabama, TCU in 2008)
4 games (2nd round bowls) Sugar/Cotton/Orange/Gator
2 games (3rd round bowls) Rose Bowl/Fiesta Bowl
1 game (4th round) National Championship

Negative - Boosters of top teams might be out of money after traveling to 4 bowls. Travel would be huge for some schools. The 1st round of Bowls would need to happen before Christmas. FBS team would be really nicked up (similar to FCS team) by the time they reach rounds 3 and 4.

Positive - The bowls would still be in place with great bowl matchups. All conference champions would be included, even the Sunbelt. It would bring better parity to college football. I could goto a MAC, WAC, Sunbelt school with a chance to goto a National championship playoff game. 1st round playoffs could be stuctured to minimze travel, but must be held at neutral Bowl sites.

56BISON73
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
That's easy for me..Win a Championship!!! Or compete for one. At the next level it's a non-descript bowl game that no one cares about. The chance to win it on the field is a good thing.

Playing every year to go 6-5 and get in a bowl game is for losers in my opinion. If it is all about the money then we would do a lot of things differently.

I can see your point and would also like to see the Bison win a championship. BUT the only people who care about the FCS are the people IN the FCS. The majority of football fans really dont watch or care about it.
Right now we lose alot of recruits to FBS schools. I think we get some of those recruits if we are FBS.
But this is all a process. people kicked and sreamed about never winning a championship if we left D2. Now its the same arguement.
All you have to do is look at Boise State to see what is possible. But that is also a process as you need to work yourself in to a position of respectability. It takes time.
One can look to the future of what it could be like actually playing on the big stage or one can be myopic and look for instant gratification.
I myself dont care to be the tallest person in the elevator filled with midgets just to say Iam the tallest person in the elevator. PL

Herd
12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
My brackets:

Florida (1)
Troy (16) Capital One Bowl

TTech* (8)
Boise St. (9) Sunbowl

USC (5)
Cincinnati (12) Insight Bowl

Alabama* (4)
GA Tech (13) Chick-fil-A Bowl

Texas* (3)
Ball St. (14) Outback Bowl

Penn St (6)
TCU* (11) GMAC Bowl

Utah (7)
Ohio St.* (10) Liberty Bowl

Tulsa (15)
Oklahoma (2) International Bowl

The 8 winners advance to the next 4 Bowl Games: Cotton, Sugar, Gator, Orange
The 4 winners advance to the next 2 Bowl Games: Rose, Fiesta
The 2 winners to Fed EX National Championship

* At Large Bids

The BCS system could be used to rank teams for the playoff. Teams with higher BCS rankings would get better seeds than conf champions with a lower ranking. Every conf champion (11) would be included in the playoff.

Make adjustments to ranking to make sure that 2 teams from the same conference do not play in Round 1.

An Indie like Notre Dame can make the tournament by being 1 of the top 5 at large bids. No Indies in 2008. Fewer team would play in Bowl games, and a system would be needed to share revenue amongst all conferences in the FBS. You would see parity return to college football. All 119 teams would have a legitimate shot at a national title, not just 6 or 7 conferences and half of the teams.

Herd
12-30-2008, 07:38 PM
In my system, 15 Bowl games would decide the National Championship . . . and 19 other Bowl games would reward teams with winning records that are not part of the national championship.

Today:
4 Championship Bowls 8 Teams
30 Non-Championship Bowls 60 Teams

My Proposal:
15 Championship Bowls 16 Teams
19 Non-Cahmpionship Bowls 38 Teams

54 teams would participate in Post Season vs. 68 teams today. 14 Teams would be left out vs. Today's system. Teams that would be in Bowls would be earning bids, with no 6-6 teams included. Most of the teams left out would be .500 to .600 teams in top conferences.

Additionally, Bowls would be competing to be part of the top 15 Championship Bowls. This plan would generate more interest amongst both fans and cities vying for Bowls.

Bisonguy
12-30-2008, 09:02 PM
It doesn't have to necessarily be "Bowls or Playoffs". You could have Bowls that were not part of the playoff and other Bowls structured into a playoff system. If you start a playoff system, it does not mean that Bowls would have to end.

FBS could eliminate conf championship games then start with a 16 team/8 bowl game playoff, the winners of which would advance. Then you would have an additional 4-2-1 games (total 7 games). These 7 playoff games could also be Bowl games if that's what is needed to maintain bowls. The champion/runner up would play 16 games or +4. The FBS might need to move to an 11 game schedule to make this happen.

8 games (1st round bowls) 11 conf champions plus top 5 at large (Texas, Ohio St, TTech, Alabama, TCU in 2008)
4 games (2nd round bowls) Sugar/Cotton/Orange/Gator
2 games (3rd round bowls) Rose Bowl/Fiesta Bowl
1 game (4th round) National Championship

Negative - Boosters of top teams might be out of money after traveling to 4 bowls. Travel would be huge for some schools. The 1st round of Bowls would need to happen before Christmas. FBS team would be really nicked up (similar to FCS team) by the time they reach rounds 3 and 4.

Positive - The bowls would still be in place with great bowl matchups. All conference champions would be included, even the Sunbelt. It would bring better parity to college football. I could goto a MAC, WAC, Sunbelt school with a chance to goto a National championship playoff game. 1st round playoffs could be stuctured to minimze travel, but must be held at neutral Bowl sites.

22 teams minimum required for a FBS playoff.
Forget about a 12 game regular season.
Playoff logistics would see fewer fans making it to the games (see FCS playoffs and the Vikings).
The majority of presidents, AD's, and coaches oppose a playoff.
Might as well throw in the whole NCAA money distribution and media rights issues while I'm at it as well......

56BISON73
12-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Playoff logistics would see fewer fans making it to the games (see FCS playoffs and the Vikings).
Might as well throw in the whole NCAA money distribution and media rights issues while I'm at it as well......

The NCAA actually would make MORE money if they were to go to a playoff system and if the NCAA RAN the playoffs and the extra bowl games. As it sits the NCAA doesnt make squat except for the TV rights.

Herd
12-30-2008, 09:15 PM

22 Teams? Way too many. You need to include every conference champion and the top at-large teams. This can be effectively accomplished in a 16 team format. Anything beyond 16 teams at the FBS level is too much.

12 games regular season - what is your point? Not sure I understand.

The Bowls (especially the top Bowls) sell out on their own without significant fan travel just from the interest around the cities in which they are held. Much different situation than FCS. The Rose Bowl will sellout if there are 20,000 Penn St. fans or 40,000 Penn St fans.

Most AD's are against a Playoff because it eliminates the Bowl system. My plan does not eliminate the Bowl system, it continues and enhances the Bowl system. Most coaches are in favor of a Championship playoff.

The same amount of money will be made with my Bowl-Playoff plan with 34 bowl games. My plan does make sure that 11 conferences benefit from the money, not just 6 or 7. This will start to bring more parity to college football for all 119 FBS teams. There will be more interest in many of the bowl games because the .500 teams will be dropped and the good teams will play in more than 1 bowl.

Bisonguy
12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
The NCAA actually would make MORE money if they were to go to a playoff system and if the NCAA RAN the playoffs and the extra bowl games. As it sits the NCAA doesnt make squat except for the TV rights.

The NCAA doesn't make anything on the bowl game TV rights currently. It would take a reversal of an early 90's Supreme Court decision to change that.

Yes, it's possible that more revenue could be made with the playoffs for the NCAA, however, the BCS teams would not be happy with how it's distributed. :D

56BISON73
12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
The NCAA doesn't make anything on the bowl game TV rights currently. It would take a reversal of an early 90's Supreme Court decision to change that.

Yes, it's possible that more revenue could be made with the playoffs for the NCAA, however, the BCS teams would not be happy with how it's distributed. :D

Correct on the TV rights my mistake. here is an interesting article on the money shenanigans associated with the bowls.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-bowls121808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

CaBisonFan
12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
As long as the Tournament of Roses dont want the formula it aint gonna happen cause they still carry the big stick in the BCS so its been decided until they change they're mind and its all about mony. :cool:

Bisonguy
12-30-2008, 10:29 PM
12 games regular season - what is your point? Not sure I understand.

One less home game and possible TV contract. When a school like Ohio State brings in ~$4MM in ticket sales for one home game, it's kind of a big deal. Factor in parking, concessions, TV rights, and it's really a big deal.

The Bowls (especially the top Bowls) sell out on their own without significant fan travel. Much different situation than FCS. The Rose Bowl will sellout if there are 20,000 Penn St. fans or 40,000 Penn St fans.
So, all those fans in the stands are there just to see a random football game? Sorry, but those stadiums don't look like the Fargodome with half the people wearing blue, red, or plaid shirts. Having a week or two to make travel arrangements is asking a lot for fans. Look at Montana- they sellout single game season tickets an hour after they go on sale, but can't sell out their stadium for a playoff game. Same goes for the Vikings- 45% of season ticket holders don't get playoff tickets. Give those two examples three or four weeks advance notice and I guarantee more would make it to the games.

Most AD's are against a Playoff because it eliminates the Bowl system. My plan does not eliminate the Bowl system, it continues and enhances the Bowl system. Most coaches are in favor of a Championship playoff.
The presidents are the ones that count.They're the ones that vote.;) I can guarantee behind closed doors the coaches love the bowls better than a playoff. Less pressure.

The same amount of money will be made with my Bowl-Playoff plan with 34 bowl games. My plan does make sure that 11 conferences benefit from the money, not just 6 or 7. This will start to bring more parity to college football for all 119 FBS teams. There will be more interest in many of the bowl games because some of the .500 teams will be dropped and the good teams will play in more than 1 bowl.

If it's to be a NCAA championship, once again, a minimum of 22 teams are required. IMO- the fringe bowl games would suffer from this arrangement. They'd basically become the jello salad with carrots at a picnic table sitting next to a huge platter of prime rib. At least in the current setup they have a small spotlight early on in the bowl season.

Hammersmith
12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Bisonguy's got me convinced that any playoff would inevitably expand to a minimum of 22 teams. We can debate whether or not that would be good for college football from now to the end of time without any resolution, but how about for us? Would a 22+ team playoff be good for NDSU?

If you're already at 22, you might as well go to 24, right? With 11 autobids already set up, a 24 team playoff could handle one more autobid. Gee, I wonder if there's another conference out there that would be interested in moving to FBS as a group to secure that 12th autobid. Anyone have any ideas?

Now, I don't seriously think a playoff system is coming, or that the BCS presidents would allow it to go past four teams. But a 24 team playoff might be good for NDSU even if it's bad for college football in general.

Bisonguy
01-01-2009, 01:53 AM
22 Teams? Way too many. You need to include every conference champion and the top at-large teams. This can be effectively accomplished in a 16 team format. Anything beyond 16 teams at the FBS level is too much.

Forgot to address the 22 team issue- 11 autobids, MINIMUM of half the field to be comprised of at-large berths. That's the what the NCAA DI Manual states for playoffs.

Oh yeah- how about them proposed brackets? Can anyone make an argument that LSU should be in a hypothetical playoff over a #14 Georgia Tech? :D

56BISON73
01-01-2009, 03:20 AM
As long as the Tournament of Roses dont want the formula it aint gonna happen cause they still carry the big stick in the BCS so its been decided until they change they're mind and its all about mony. :cool:

Or they could call the Rose Bowls-(Big Ten Commishes) bluff. They would then surely fold because they dont want to be on the outside looking in. They would also lose alot of there power.
There was a good article about that siuation in SI awhile back. PL

Herd
01-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Forgot to address the 22 team issue- 11 autobids, MINIMUM of half the field to be comprised of at-large berths. That's the what the NCAA DI Manual states for playoffs.

Oh yeah- how about them proposed brackets? Can anyone make an argument that LSU should be in a hypothetical playoff over a #14 Georgia Tech? :D

I am not suggesting that it be an ncaa championship. I'd use the BCS rating to seed the 16 teams and continue it as a BCS championship. Again, 22 teams is way too many for FBS football when you try to incorporate bowls into a championship. While some have, I have not suggested it be an ncaa championship. We already have one at the FCS level.

Herd
01-03-2009, 01:59 PM
All this Plus 1 talk is also rediculous. Who is involved in the Plus 1? Utah, USC, OK/FL winner, others? Plus 1 does not decide a championship, it just leaves more teams on the sidelines that should have had a shot.

mebisonII
01-07-2009, 08:45 PM
More interesting info: U of Iowa is pleased that they break even on money spent sending the team, band, and support staff to the game versus the money they pocket from the game.

The payout for the Outback Bowl is $3.2 million. The take goes to the Big Ten Conference along with proceeds from other bowls Big Ten teams participated in. It’s pooled and each school gets a portion.

In past years, UI has spent virtually its entire bowl share on the traveling party. Hotel, meals and airfare account for the majority of the expenses, Meyer said.

Any leftover money from the $1.65 million goes to athletics department operations, Meyer said.

So, if you're a B10 school who doesn't go bowling, maybe you come out better, short-term at least? They say 'each school gets a portion', but presumably that portion is based in part on whether you played???

Here's the whole article: UI Covers Expenses (http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20090107/NEWS01/90107012/1079)

IzzyFlexion
01-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Tons of schools operate at a deficit when they're invited to bowl games. It's the cost of doing business. It's like a sales organization having an expensive exhibit at a trade show. It's all about exposure for the betterment of the program as a whole. Recruiting, getting more boosters to step up, filling the stands, etc.

SDbison
01-08-2009, 02:57 PM
The college football bowl system just plain sucks. There is no clear champion and there never will be. More than half the FBS teams get in a bowl game, what a joke.....then only some privledged teams are BCS members which further shows how f'ed up it all is......

bisonmike2
01-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Other NCAA sports that are based on subjective rankings:

Gymnastics

That's the only other one I could think of. And at least with that all the qualified individuals will get their chance to compete for a championship instead of the NCAA just selecting a couple of gymnast from some big time conferences and telling the others better luck next year.

UTH
01-09-2009, 03:33 AM

Gymnastics

That's the only other one I could think of. And at least with that all the qualified individuals will get their chance to compete for a championship instead of the NCAA just selecting a couple of gymnast from some big time conferences and telling the others better luck next year.

Bullriding.:bow:

IzzyFlexion
01-09-2009, 01:33 PM

Gymnastics

Ya know you're right. While I was trying to think of some exeptions to that rule I got to thinking about subjectivity in football reffing. Throwing the flag for unsportsmanlike conduct, for example, can often be very subjective. Touching of a loose ball by a player in an unsuccessful attempt to obtain possession is more cut and dried. The aforementioned scenario is defined by the NFL as a MUFF....DIVING....there's another sport where the scoring is subjective whereas swimming is not.:D

I am such a child:blush:

bisonmike2
01-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Bullriding.:bow:

Is Bullriding a sanction NCAA sport? Bullriding is the official sport of South Dakota (true - look it up) and one would think that the universities of said state would have bullriding teams. I'n not aware of a bullriding team at SDSU or USD but I could be wrong. I've been wrong before.....once.

UTH
01-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Is Bullriding a sanction NCAA sport? Bullriding is the official sport of South Dakota (true - look it up) and one would think that the universities of said state would have bullriding teams. I'n not aware of a bullriding team at SDSU or USD but I could be wrong. I've been wrong before.....once.

I have a friend who was on a full scholarship for it someplace in Arizona. That's all I know about collegiate rodeo / bullriding.

bisonmike2
01-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I have a friend who was on a full scholarship for it someplace in Arizona. That's all I know about collegiate rodeo / bullriding.

Interesting. I knew a couple of girls in college that could ride the hell out of a mechanical bull. They'll be dissapointed when they find out that they wasted all of that talent and missed out on the opportunity for a free education.

Hammersmith
01-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Bull riding is not a NCAA scholarship sport. The closest is equestrian(female only), but the only thing that has in common with bull riding is that both use saddles. It's possible bull riding may have been an emerging sport at one time. Those type of women's sports have 10 years to get 40 schools over all three divisions to participate. Equestrian is close, but needs the east-coast DIII schools to agree to the NCAA rules. Archery, badminton, synchronized swimming and team handball are about to be axed from the list, while sand volleyball is about to start the 10-year clock. Rugby and squash are still in the middle of their probation and are actively trying to add programs.

BlueBisonRock
01-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Bull riding is not a NCAA scholarship sport. The closest is equestrian(female only), but the only thing that has in common with bull riding is that both use saddles. It's possible bull riding may have been an emerging sport at one time. Those type of women's sports have 10 years to get 40 schools over all three divisions to participate. Equestrian is close, but needs the east-coast DIII schools to agree to the NCAA rules. Archery, badminton, synchronized swimming and team handball are about to be axed from the list, while sand volleyball is about to start the 10-year clock. Rugby and squash are still in the middle of their probation and are actively trying to add programs.

Correct. Bull riding is not an NCAA sport.

However, NDSU does have a Rodeo Club that participates in the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association. Bull riding is one of the events. You can follow this link (http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/colag/rodeo.htm) to the NDSU Rodeo Club page. You may note that there is no saddle on these bulls.

(No, I was never drunk enough to ride a bull). However, one of my buddies in Bismarck (previous life) was a professional bull (and saddle bronc) rider. No scholarships there either. Just enough change in the purses to pay for gas to the next rodeo.

Hammerhead
01-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Even an 8-team playoff based upon the BCS rankings is better than only choosing 2 teams with a shot at the title.

The only way I can see the system changing is if there are 3 schools from BCS conferences who all finish the season undefeated that would cause a bigger stink than leaving an undefeated Utah team out of the picture.