PDA

View Full Version : Reid and Offerman on their way back

tony
12-18-2008, 06:16 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/225445

I love these stories. Two of our signees from last year ran into some adversity and, instead of packing it up, they buckled down and will be back this spring. Congrats to Dan Offermann and Greg Reid!

If the signings go as planned, NDSU definitely has the ingredients to a dominant defensive line (yeah, I'm pretty good at stating the obvious).

silkamilkamonico
12-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Technically, Offerman has three years of eligibility, but he can earn another year if he meets certain academic criteria.

why is that? Is he in a different situation then Reid or is Reid in the same boat?

roadwarrior
12-18-2008, 12:36 PM
why is that? Is he in a different situation then Reid or is Reid in the same boat?

I think the answer to that is the sentence just before in the article.

mebisonII
12-18-2008, 01:05 PM
[URL](yeah, I'm pretty good at stating the obvious).

So is Coach Bohl:

Another academic non-qualifier, defensive tackle Danny Offerman from Roseville, Minn., is now 6-4 and 285 pounds and getting stronger, Bohl said. He was 6-3, 270 when he signed his letter of intent last year.

“He can be a really physically imposing guy,” Bohl said.

bisonhusker
12-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Both Reid and Offerman were HUGE signings last year. Bad break that they didn't end up here.....great that they took it serious and are back. Great article. Reid was a 2 star kid, and Offerman was 1st team all Minnesota last year. Adding these kids to this recruiting class is just amazing. Our D line is potentially scary.

silkamilkamonico
12-18-2008, 02:36 PM
I think the answer to that is the sentence just before in the article.

This sentence?

Athletes are allowed one year after high school to take care of the core credits.

I know plenty of people who joined an athletic program their second or third year in college, and still had their full 5 year window of eligibility. Didn't realize signing an LoI and not playing right away for whatever reason meant they lost a year.

Bisonguy
12-18-2008, 02:43 PM
This sentence?

I know plenty of people who joined an athletic program their second or third year in college, and still had their full 5 year window of eligibility. Didn't realize signing an LoI and not playing right away for whatever reason meant they lost a year.

Was that DI or DII for those joining in their second or third year?

Bison"FANatic"
12-18-2008, 02:53 PM
One would hope the NCAA would give them and any other player from any other team in the same situation a extension on the time clock if they are proving in in the classroom. It is about getting them a education also. Congrats to these guys on buckling down and getting it done off the field so they can shine on the field. A degree can take you a long ways.

tjbison
12-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Man was I glad to read this in the Sports today!!!! I think Reid is going to be a player!!

silkamilkamonico
12-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Was that DI or DII for those joining in their second or third year?

D2 and they were just walk ons. I wouldn't think it would matter though, when the mormons sign their LoI and then go on their mission for 2 years they come back and still get 4-5 years, Maybe it has something to do with not being cleared with academic issues.

Bisonguy
12-18-2008, 08:26 PM
D2 and they were just walk ons. I wouldn't think it would matter though, when the mormons sign their LoI and then go on their mission for 2 years they come back and still get 4-5 years, Maybe it has something to do with not being cleared with academic issues.
Without digging into the NCAA bylaws, I believe there is a clause for religious or military exceptions to the 4 in 5 rule for DI. DII eligibility follows total years/semesters, not the consecutive years/semesters that DI does. That's why there were are some DI transfers to DII schools- I know SDSU had an OL that transferred to UND because his DI clock ran out, but still had time on the DII clock.

Hammersmith
12-18-2008, 08:42 PM
(edit: written before Bisonguy's post)

Okay, this is how it works for DI:

You have five years to complete four seasons of competition, with some exceptions. The five-year clock begins when you register and attend your first day of class as a full-time student. In both Reid's and Offerman's cases, that clock began in August. Additionally, if a student does not meet the NCAA's freshmen academic requirements, the first year is initially counted against the four seasons of competition even if the student isn't competing. That leaves the student only three years of competition. However, if the student completes over 80% of his or her degree requirements prior to the beginning of his or her fifth academic year, then an additional year of competition is granted and the first year of ineligibility is treated like a redshirt year. Also, no athletic aid is allowed during that first year, though the student may receive academic or need-based aid as long as the amount and type is in keeping with aid given to the general student body.

The exemptions to the five-year clock include hardship waivers for illness or injury, pregnancy, training and competition in certain athletic activities(e.g. Olympics, World Cup, Pan American Games), enlistment in the military, recognized foreign aid services(e.g. Peace Corps), or official church missions.

The rules for DII are quite different. The quick version is that DII student athletes are allowed eight semesters of competition but there is no ticking clock. The eight semesters can occur over four years, five years, seven years, whatever.

Offerman's case is the easiest to dissect. Because he enrolled and attended NDSU full time starting in August, his five-year clock began to tick and he has only the three seasons of competition starting next year plus the additional year of competition if he completes 80% of his degree by August 2012. He can only receive need-based aid this year but is eligible for athletic aid next year, provided he maintains the standard academic eligibility that all athletes must maintain.

Reid's case is more complex because we don't know for certain if he attended college full-time this semester. If he took less than 12 credits at the Milwaukee tech school he was attending, then there's the possibility his five-year clock hasn't started yet. If he took more than 12 credits, then he's in the same boat as Offerman.

CaBisonFan
12-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Looks like we're building an FBS-caliber line...on both sides of the ball.

It's Christmas!