PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps - Street View

fargocyclone
12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Recently I found myself directed to a map of Fargo in Google Maps and to my astonishment, most of the city is now viewable using Street View. To me this is really cool because now I can see my old house as if I was pretty much right in the driveway. Didn't take the time to check (it is finals week after all), but I'm sure you can take a virtual walkthrough of NDSU now. Does anyone else think this is as cool as I do??

BisonAccountant44
12-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Street view is nice. I like to use it when I'm going somewhere new to get an idea of what I'm looking for. I've recently become a fan of the birdseye view on msn too. That one is pretty sweet because you can rotate around, and get a 360 view of a location.

Hammersmith
12-17-2008, 02:12 AM
I laughed my ass off about a week ago while showing it to my father shortly after learning about it. Someone actually drove through every single street of his hometown(all nine blocks of it) and also drove down the gravel road that borders our family's farm. I'm still baffled as to why a North Dakota town of less than 75 people rates that much attention. Still, it was funny to see his car parked in the driveway.

BisonAccountant44
12-17-2008, 03:15 AM
I laughed my ass off about a week ago while showing it to my father shortly after learning about it. Someone actually drove through every single street of his hometown(all nine blocks of it) and also drove down the gravel road that borders our family's farm. I'm still baffled as to why a North Dakota town of less than 75 people rates that much attention. Still, it was funny to see his car parked in the driveway.

Wow, I would've never thought they had gone that far with it already. It wasn't that long ago when in Chicago they had only the main streets for me to check out, but now that you said that I had to check out my 300 person ND town. They only have the 2-3 main streets mapped out, but the crazy part is they mapped all the highways surrounding town. How many people are going to want to see the street view of the middle of nowhere on hwy 46?

gotts
12-17-2008, 03:42 AM
i was working in Galchutt this summer when I saw a car with "Google" plastered all over it mapping the streets. Must have had something to do to tie into the imaging, I guess.

Anyone know exactly how they do the whole process?

fargocyclone
12-17-2008, 05:32 AM
i was working in Galchutt this summer when I saw a car with "Google" plastered all over it mapping the streets. Must have had something to do to tie into the imaging, I guess.

Anyone know exactly how they do the whole process?

It looks like someone just drives down every street and a roof mounted camera takes panaramics every so often. Come to think of it, that would be a pretty fun job to have: get paid to travel the country, see the sights, and take pictures.

On second thought, that's a lot of driving and a lot of the places (like small 300 person ND towns) probably aren't even worth the effort.

BlueBisonRock
12-17-2008, 05:38 AM
It looks like someone just drives down every street and a roof mounted camera takes panaramics every so often. Come to think of it, that would be a pretty fun job to have: get paid to travel the country, see the sights, and take pictures.

On second thought, that's a lot of driving and a lot of the places (like small 300 person ND towns) probably aren't even worth the effort.

It all depends on your perspective.

tony
12-17-2008, 07:12 AM
It all depends on your perspective.

Yeah, I think they'd be more interesting, not less. Thanks for bringing this up, btw - last time I checked Fargo didn't have Street View and I kinda gave up on it.

Now, thanks to your reminder, I was able to see that one of the crap holes I lived in while at NDSU is still standing and still, twenty years later, doesn't have a storm door on our side. I think my roommates and I doubled the value of the place when we made a Viking head snow sculpture in the front yard.

http://www.bisonville.com/photos/thatoldhouse.JPG

CarringtonBison
12-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I think they'd be more interesting, not less. Thanks for bringing this up, btw - last time I checked Fargo didn't have Street View and I kinda gave up on it.

Now, thanks to your reminder, I was able to see that one of the crap holes I lived in while at NDSU is still standing and still, twenty years later, doesn't have a storm door on our side. I think my roommates and I doubled the value of the place when we made a Viking head snow sculpture in the front yard.

http://www.bisonville.com/photos/thatoldhouse.JPG

HEY, i lived in the house on the right for a year. it was in the forum-front page-when they talked about crappy housing and slum lords! Many memories (and loss of memories) from that year.

It is gone now, replaced by a new development. Not sure what is going there, but it is gone. The white house on the left is still there if i remember right. Two mall like complexes around it-one on each side.

HandoEX
12-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I looked at my house and it looks like the pics must have been snapped in August or early September 2007 as that's the only time I owned the vehicles parked in front of my place. Pretty cool!

roadwarrior
12-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, tony's old home (without the screen door) is still there. Its been unoccupied for several years due to building code violations. (are you surprised tony?). Two very nice 3 story brick buildings are now on either side of it.