PDA

View Full Version : Cole Jirik commits

bisondad
12-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Great news today in the forum. http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/225312. Northfield has put out many D-I players over the past years, including Setterstrom from the U of M a couple years ago and his brother who played at UNI. Both Setterstroms played in the NFL also. If Sullivan says the kid is a gem, it is a great commit for us. The coaches seem to be landing great players. keep up the good work!

stevdock
12-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I know this is gonna hi-jack this thread and I'm sorry for it. But I have heard many times that the ultimate goal for NDSU is to go FBS. I don't think we get either Jirik or Juckem if we are an FCS school. Now I may be wrong on that since Juckem specifically stated that one of the main reasons he picked NDSU was for the education he would receive. I am looking forward to seeing how these two develop. So far looks like a very good start to what could be a great recruiting class this season.

roadwarrior
12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Nice hijack. NDSU will be an FCS school the entire time these two guys are on campus. Maybe sometime down the road, there will be a move up to FBS, but dont think its on the horizon yet.

tony
12-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Heya bisondad, the other posters' reactions to Jirik's verbal kind of got lost in the huge recruiting thread so I've summarized them, movie-review style:

BisonNolesFan77 raves:

Add Jirik to the Verbal list! I'm pumped for this class...and its just the start!
rutlandbison exclaims:

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bisonhusker asks:

Is that for sure? If so....thanks and that is huge!!!!!!!!
lakesbison w00ts:

kid was SOLID in prep bowl.... whoa.... just jacked!!

The coaching staff sure has been busy this week.

mebisonII
12-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Sounds like we keep getting guys who play everything and can do anything that's needed. Athletic guys who are versatile....methinks that's a good thing!

bisonmike2
12-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Heya bisondad, the other posters' reactions to Jirik's verbal kind of got lost in the huge recruiting thread so I've summarized them, movie-review style:

BisonNolesFan77 raves:

rutlandbison exclaims:

bisonhusker asks:

lakesbison w00ts:

The coaching staff sure has been busy this week.

I'll add mine.

In a world where where competition is fierce. NDSU is making it's mark by claiming Jirik as verball commit. This is top notch FCS recruiting at it's finest. Be prepared to be wowed next fall!
-Bisonmike

sorry mine is more like a movie preview than a movie review.

NDSU1980
12-17-2008, 12:45 AM
I know this is gonna hi-jack this thread and I'm sorry for it. But I have heard many times that the ultimate goal for NDSU is to go FCS. I don't think we get either Jirik or Juckem if we are an FCS school. Now I may be wrong on that since Juckem specifically stated that one of the main reasons he picked NDSU was for the education he would receive. I am looking forward to seeing how these two develop. So far looks like a very good start to what could be a great recruiting class this season.

HUH??? What the heck are you talking about??? We already ARE an FCS school, and have been one all through the transition.

Our ultimate goal right now isn't moving anywhere, it's winning a national championship, and hopefully we make the necessary player changes next year to do just that.

MAKBison
12-17-2008, 05:17 AM
HUH??? What the heck are you talking about??? We already ARE an FCS school, and have been one all through the transition.

Our ultimate goal right now isn't moving anywhere, it's winning a national championship, and hopefully we make the necessary player changes next year to do just that.

I think he meant FBS

CaBisonFan
12-17-2008, 06:24 AM

He had to have meant FBS. If/when the MVFC joins with the MVC in other sports, and the right combination of schools can pull it all together...I could see a move to the FBS. It will take a conference effort...IMO. Could be a long ways off. Could be in 4 or 5 years...at the very least...but not likely. More like 10 or 15 years...if ever.

I'm just glad to see some players who are on the FBS/FCS fence leaning our way. It's a really good sign.

DORMIE
12-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Have to agree with CaBison on this one. The ultimate goal would be to stay where we are and at some time the Missouri Valley would move up. I still laugh that some posters couldn't wait to get us into the MAC or Mountain West etc. I guess reality sunk in this year in the Missouri Valley.

BisonNolesFan77
12-17-2008, 03:53 PM
He had to have meant FBS. If/when the MVFC joins with the MVC in other sports, and the right combination of schools can pull it all together...I could see a move to the FBS. It will take a conference effort...IMO. Could be a long ways off. Could be in 4 or 5 years...at the very least...but not likely. More like 10 or 15 years...if ever.

I'm just glad to see some players who are on the FBS/FCS fence leaning our way. It's a really good sign.

It is a very good sign that some of the borderline FBS players are coming to Fargo. Jirick, Juckem, Drevlow, those are some big guys who given a couple of years in the program will be beasts. They have the frames and build, the DE's are looking very, very solid for the next few years, and throw Boyer and Johnson in there. Getting some guys who will really cause other teams havoc off the edges.

I think some of it is because NDSU is in the MVFC, these kids want to play the UNI's and SIU's, they want their family to be able to see them play and not have to travel to Utah or California a couple times a year.

This years class is looking very, very good! Excited to see what they can bring to the program!

Silk
12-18-2008, 01:08 AM
any news on WR ??

Gully
12-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Have to agree with CaBison on this one. The ultimate goal would be to stay where we are and at some time the Missouri Valley would move up. I still laugh that some posters couldn't wait to get us into the MAC or Mountain West etc. I guess reality sunk in this year in the Missouri Valley.

The Missouri Valley moving up would be fine but I wouldn't laugh at the MAC, Mountain West, or WAC discussion. I was out to Wyoming this year.....they have nothing on our program.

tjbison
12-18-2008, 01:18 AM
any news on WR ??

Nothing yet that I've heard!

bisonhusker
12-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Our new WR coach has ties in Texas and has been down there a LONG time recently. I would expect we end up with some great news at WR from Texas. Just a hunch.

Right now I am really hoping for that QB from Michigan. We are basically stacked at RB, TE is silly deep, we have some great young O lineman, we really need some help at WR and that go to QB to complete the youth movement on offense. Defense....not worried.

tjbison
12-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Our new WR coach has ties in Texas and has been down there a LONG time recently. I would expect we end up with some great news at WR from Texas. Just a hunch.

Right now I am really hoping for that QB from Michigan. We are basically stacked at RB, TE is silly deep, we have some great young O lineman, we really need some help at WR and that go to QB to complete the youth movement on offense. Defense....not worried.

Hell yeah!!!!:nod: we seriously picked up some talented kids on this side!!

Defense wins games!

BisonNolesFan77
12-18-2008, 06:29 PM
any news on WR ??

I could see Gatlin maybe getting a look at WR, with 4.4 speed, you almost have to get him some touches on the offensive side of the ball, and as a return man, not to mention that it sounds like his natural position was WR.

Lakes should be happy, there is one Florida guy for him so far.

rutlandbison
12-18-2008, 06:35 PM
I could see Gatlin maybe getting a look at WR, with 4.4 speed, you almost have to get him some touches on the offensive side of the ball, and as a return man, not to mention that it sounds like his natural position was WR.

I think i agree, we should get him touches at the WR position. He was one when he came to NDSCS, so he must know a little about the position. Also, it's not that often that you get a guy who can run that fast at the FCS lvl. I think, as long as we have him, use him as much as we can.

tjbison
12-18-2008, 09:37 PM

A D-back with that speed is VERY nice to have roaming the backfield also!!

CaBisonFan
12-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Great news today in the forum. http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/225312. Northfield has put out many D-I players over the past years, including Setterstrom from the U of M a couple years ago and his brother who played at UNI. Both Setterstroms played in the NFL also. If Sullivan says the kid is a gem, it is a great commit for us. The coaches seem to be landing great players. keep up the good work!

The news keeps getting better.

OnTheFifty
12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Nice writeup on Jirik and why he chose NDSU.

Looks like a good get.

http://minnesotapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=891411

tony
12-20-2022, 08:03 PM
I thought I'd bump this because Cole's commitment came up on Bison1660 today. It might seem like NDSU has always been on top, but 2008 was not a great season and that 2009 class really set the stage: 2009 Recruiting: Quick Reference (bisonville.com) (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?14825-2009-Recruiting-Quick-Reference)

It sure doesn't seem like that long ago, but in terms of NDSU's time as a playoff-eligible DI program, it's forever.

KSBisonFan
12-20-2022, 08:10 PM
I thought I'd bump this because Cole's commitment came up on Bison1660 today. It might seem like NDSU has always been on top, but 2008 was not a great season and that 2009 class really set the stage: 2009 Recruiting: Quick Reference (bisonville.com) (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?14825-2009-Recruiting-Quick-Reference)

It sure doesn't seem like that long ago, but in terms of NDSU's time as a playoff-eligible DI program, it's forever.

Some great names in that class. What stands out to me is the lack of flashy guys. Just a solid group of hard-nosed football players who gave everything they had to help build a championship program.

If there was 1 flashy guy it had to be Sigers. That kid was quick. Always wished he stuck around.

Professor Chaos
12-20-2022, 08:15 PM

2008 doesn't seem that long ago until you realize that the Fargodome is almost twice as old now as it was at that time.

HerdBot
12-20-2022, 09:39 PM

What a great class. A bunch of 6-4 to 6-5 thin athletic guys who Kramer molded into elite athletes

PlrbrBison
12-20-2022, 09:43 PM
2008 doesn't seem that long ago until you realize that the Fargodome is almost twice as old now as it was at that time.

Wooooooow! That's really wild, man.