PDA

View Full Version : Arena Football

roadwarrior
12-15-2008, 08:55 PM
The AFL cancelled the 2009 season.....money issues.

fargocyclone
12-15-2008, 09:44 PM
The AFL cancelled the 2009 season.....money issues.

Ah, man!! I'm really going to miss this!!

<read with plenty of sarcasm>

TheDoctor
12-16-2008, 02:18 AM
I think the player salaries had gotten a bit out of hand and the players union was not going to budge. I think this was the league's way of saying...we need to come back to reality boys! ;)

missingnumber7
12-16-2008, 03:11 AM
I think this is a sign of more things to come. Add this to the announcement that the NFL is reducing playoff tickets by 10%. Big things...gotta keep your fans. Tickets for these games are pretty affordable, and more players are seeing this as a legitimate chance to keep their carreers alive and even NFL scouts look at players at this level. Imagine looking at FG kickers who have to get it through the smaller gp's.

aces1180
12-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I think this is a sign of more things to come. Add this to the announcement that the NFL is reducing playoff tickets by 10%. Big things...gotta keep your fans. Tickets for these games are pretty affordable, and more players are seeing this as a legitimate chance to keep their carreers alive and even NFL scouts look at players at this level. Imagine looking at FG kickers who have to get it through the smaller gp's.

I've been waiting for the WNBA to fold for years...Talk about a money pit.

56BISON73
12-16-2008, 01:49 PM

I also havent been able to understand how that league keeps going. PL

mebisonII
12-16-2008, 03:16 PM

I hope so. I don't go to many sporting events largely because I can't justify spending the money, but something a little smaller like the RedHawks (Cedar Rapids Kernels for me) where you can go and enjoy an evening at a game for ~$7 is a good substitute for a movie in my book.

missingnumber7
12-16-2008, 03:29 PM
I can justify going to a game once in a while. I dumped 500 for 4 tickets to the broncos at SD game when tickets were made available. add that to plane ticket costs and hotel costs, were looking at almost a 3000 vacation. But for all things considered, I think declining attendance even at places like Minneapolis, Jacksonville, Miami are indicitive of the whole climate of our monitary situations. Places that have been sellouts aren't always, and even in KC this past week was pretty much empty, which is hardly ever the case even if they suck, when they are playing AFC west opponents.

TheBisonator
12-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Look for a whole bunch of Sun Belt NHL teams to suspend operations and/or fold in the next two years. I'll bet that the Phoenix Coyotes don't exist anymore after 2010.

lcbison
12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Look for a whole bunch of Sun Belt NHL teams to suspend operations and/or fold in the next two years. I'll bet that the Phoenix Coyotes don't exist anymore after 2010.

umm...prob not gonna fold...more likely move to canada: Toronto, Winnipeg, or US: KC or Vegas

aces1180
12-16-2008, 09:13 PM
umm...prob not gonna fold...more likely move to canada: Toronto, Winnipeg, or US: KC or Vegas

Not Moosejaw, Hamilton or Saskatoon? ;)

TheDoctor
12-16-2008, 09:40 PM

Did they ever really think it was going to take off? I always thought it was supplemented by the NBA and was always going to be. I assume it hasn't crashed because the NBA is supplementing the bottom line every year. ;)

aces1180
12-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Did they ever really think it was going to take off? I always thought it was supplemented by the NBA and was always going to be. I assume it hasn't crashed because the NBA is supplementing the bottom line every year. ;)

Most definitely backed by the NBA...They probably write it off on their yearly taxes.

fargocyclone
12-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Most definitely backed by the NBA...They probably write it off on their yearly taxes.
Wait! So basically I'm paying for the WNBA through taxes??? That's a load of crap!

UTH
12-17-2008, 04:22 AM

... which raises hope for justice to finally prevail, putting the NHL back in Winnipeg... or at the very least Ottawa can pick up a real NHL team...

aces1180
12-17-2008, 01:30 PM
... which raises hope for justice to finally prevail, putting the NHL back in Winnipeg... or at the very least Ottawa can pick up a real NHL team...

They already have a state-of-the-art arena up there with the MTS Centre. The Manitoba Moose play there now.

mebisonII
12-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Related comment from Mark Kriegel on Foxsports:

Journalists mistakenly identified the economy as the reason the Arena Football League suspended operations.

When in fact, it was the Big 12.

Probably some truth to that.