PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota Most Corrupt State?

duluthbison
12-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Check this article out, we even ousted Illinois and Alaska....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-12-10-corruptstates_N.htm?se=yahoorefer

GOB1SON
12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Put anything on a per capita basis and ND is a leading candidate. Not many capita here.

duluthbison
12-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Put anything on a per capita basis and ND is a leading candidate. Not many capita here.

One of the reasons why I hate statistics, you can make them say anything you want.

ndsubison1
12-11-2008, 05:36 PM
let's get real here...

bisonmike2
12-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Hmmmm. ND the most politically corrupt state in the country. Another year of disproportionate funding between UND and NDSU. Interesting, very interesting.

CarringtonBison
12-11-2008, 05:44 PM
i think that we are just that good at convicting them-not a lot goes on here without someone finding out. Add that into the small state populations and BAM.....

Its the same for the state board of medical examiners. they don't take any crap and convict/suspend to protect people. we have one of the strictest boards in the US-makes us look more like we have bad docs, but in fact it is due to the diligence of the board protecting the public.

Bison Dan
12-11-2008, 05:58 PM
i think that we are just that good at convicting them-not a lot goes on here without someone finding out. Add that into the small state populations and BAM.....

Its the same for the state board of medical examiners. they don't take any crap and convict/suspend to protect people. we have one of the strictest boards in the US-makes us look more like we have bad docs, but in fact it is due to the diligence of the board protecting the public.

That and we have just as many public sector gov. jobs as most other states so that statistic is doesn't tell you anything. It's the same as if we have 4 murders in 2008 and in 2009 we have 6 the headlines would read "ND murder rate increases 50%" !! The guy who wrote that story should be fired.

WYOBISONMAN
12-16-2008, 05:22 AM
Since I left......the capita dropped by 1......so blame me.....;)

tony
12-16-2008, 09:34 AM
North Dakota probably is more corrupt than some other states - definitely not the most corrupt though. The number of convictions could mean lots of things - like our corrupt officials are too stupid to cover their tracks or not rich enough to afford the best lawyers.

OTOH, I think nepotism is probably more common in North Dakota than other states. That WSI mess and Barnes County sheriff deal sure wenen't examples of good government. Then there was the mail man in Barnes County, a former Barnes County sheriff, who decided not to deliver four tons of mail. Rolette County's sheriff got removed for something too. The Burleigh County sheriff's or Bismarck police department was involved in something involving weapons purchases too.

Bottom line is that North Dakota should work harder to improve - and just based on what I can recall off the top of my head, I'm thinking the county sheriff system should really be looked at by the state - especially their weapon purchases.

mebisonII
12-16-2008, 12:44 PM
North Dakota probably is more corrupt than some other states - definitely not the most corrupt though. The number of convictions could mean lots of things - like our corrupt officials are too stupid to cover their tracks or not rich enough to afford the best lawyers.

OTOH, I think nepotism is probably more common in North Dakota than other states. That WSI mess and Barnes County sheriff deal sure wenen't examples of good government. Then there was the mail man in Barnes County, a former Barnes County sheriff, who decided not to deliver four tons of mail. Rolette County's sheriff got removed for something too. The Burleigh County sheriff's or Bismarck police department was involved in something involving weapons purchases too.

Bottom line is that North Dakota should work harder to improve - and just based on what I can recall off the top of my head, I'm thinking the county sheriff system should really be looked at by the state - especially their weapon purchases.

Tony, you're in Amsterdam, right? How is it that you know more about ND current events than I do? :)

Bison Dan
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM

A lot of the recent convictions were on our reservations.

ndsubison1
12-16-2008, 06:25 PM
the only thing corrupt here is that article...

bisonaudit
12-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Then there are things (like the horse park), which are essentially good old boy give aways given a thin veneer of legality.