PDA

View Full Version : 18 Million Dollar Development Downtown

duluthbison
12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Just announced today, the site of the former Lark Theatre and Cinema Grill which have been demolished will be made into a 18 million dollar complex with the top 4 floors as housing for NDSU Students.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=224615&section=news&CFID=921963&CFTOKEN=93994722

roadwarrior
12-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Construction has been going on for over a month already. The building will be a huge change for that block.

duluthbison
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Construction has been going on for over a month already. The building will be a huge change for that block.

Ya I've noticed but have always wondered what will be going in its place. But between the Niskanen addition and the Downtown development, NDSU shouldn't have to worry about housing for some time.

90BISON
12-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Ya I've noticed but have always wondered what will be going in its place. But between the Niskanen addition and the Downtown development, NDSU shouldn't have to worry about housing for some time.

I'm pretty sure somebody made a statement like that when they built the last high rise and used to have the Graver in downtown. How'd that turn out?;)

bisonmike2
12-09-2008, 06:43 PM
So does this mean they will actually have to take down that sign that read "Coming in Fall 2005 - Cityscape Center"?

duluthbison
12-09-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm pretty sure somebody made a statement like that when they built the last high rise and used to have the Graver in downtown. How'd that turn out?;)

Good point, but that was 20 years ago and 5,000 less students. I think that this will solve the current housing problem but they need more room so they aren't always scrambling to find beds for freshman. If Chapman gets his way and has 16,000+ here by time I graduate in 2012 (*i think) we are going to need many more academic buildings and more dorms. Besides, with the new developments combined, doesn't NDSU have roughly room for 950 more students?

roadwarrior
12-09-2008, 07:50 PM
So does this mean they will actually have to take down that sign that read "Coming in Fall 2005 - Cityscape Center"?

Actually, I think that sign bit the dust already!

90BISON
12-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Good point, but that was 20 years ago and 5,000 less students. I think that this will solve the current housing problem but they need more room so they aren't always scrambling to find beds for freshman. If Chapman gets his way and has 16,000+ here by time I graduate in 2012 (*i think) we are going to need many more academic buildings and more dorms. Besides, with the new developments combined, doesn't NDSU have roughly room for 950 more students?

You just made my point. As long as NDSU plans to keep growing, the building and expansion can never stop. If you're adding 500 new students every year, that in itself is a new dormitory every year.

Hammersmith
12-10-2008, 10:05 AM
By the time the two projects open up, they will be near capacity. This year, over 400 students were placed in hotels, and 260 were still living there in mid-October. The 220 student Cityscapes project won't even cover the October number and the 800 student Niskanen project won't be ready until fall 2010. If freshmen and grad student growth is anything close to what it was this year, NDSU will be putting students back in hotels by 2011 or 2012. It won't be too long before every residence hall in the campus proper will be freshmen-only, save Bison Court.

As for the Cityscapes project, I can't say I'm thrilled with the look of the design. I hope it will be one of those designs that looks better built than on paper. The ground floor retail could rock if they get the right businesses. This could be the first location downtown where a grocery store could actually work as long as Cityscapes doesn't charge a ridiculous amount for rent. From the drawings, it even looks like they may have left enough sidewalk room to allow for bistro seating during the warmer months.

Overall, I still can't believe how fast the Downtown campus has grown. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it doubles in size again within 10 years. I'm also beginning to think that another academic college is more than a pipe dream. A question for those of you with engineering or architecture degrees: In other universities, is architecture paired up more frequently with engineering or the arts? I've heard of universities with art and architecture schools/colleges and I was wondering which pairing was more prevalent and why.

tony
12-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Hehe, Hammersmith - sidewalk seating would be a very interesting development. What next? A piazza with a fountain in summer and skating rink in winter?

Anyway, sure hope that they get a grocery store downtown - I mean, you just can't have residential city center without a grocery store.

And did anybody else see the story on the $540,000 2000 sq ft penthouse downtown? I got a kick out of that - the 4th floor isn't exactly what I think of when it comes to penthouses... now kick that law firm out of the top of the Radisson and do it up Austin Powers style and that'd be a penthouse!

mebisonII
12-10-2008, 12:21 PM
The design looks very similar to some new buildings in Coralville (ajoining Iowa City). About the same architecture, space for stores in the bottom and the coralville ones are buyable condos instead of apartments. I believe the roof of the IA ones is also a common space set up as a terrace or something like that. Its also one of the 2 buildings in town where sandbags worked in this year's floods.

I'm going to have to drive through downtown Fargo again next time I'm up that way! :nod:

roper1313
12-10-2008, 01:50 PM
And did anybody else see the story on the $540,000 2000 sq ft penthouse downtown? I got a kick out of that - the 4th floor isn't exactly what I think of when it comes to penthouses... now kick that law firm out of the top of the Radisson and do it up Austin Powers style and that'd be a penthouse!

That was funny, there's been $500,000+ condos in downtown for at least 5 years. BFD.

I'm sure Nilles will listen to an offer if your interested in the 17th and 18th floors ;)

tony
12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
That was funny, there's been $500,000+ condos in downtown for at least 5 years. BFD.

I'm sure Nilles will listen to an offer if your interested in the 17th and 18th floors ;)

They'd have to get some decent elevators in there first (or a very long fire pole). :)

cbline
12-10-2008, 03:51 PM
They'd have to get some decent elevators in there first (or a very long fire pole). :)

Hmmm. Long poles and Penthouse in the same thread. I hope that this doesn't get hijacked.

bisonmike2
12-10-2008, 04:03 PM

Well according to Clay county my rental property value increased 72% last year. 72% in year of record property value losses! :confused: Just imagine how much it would have increased had the economy not went in the tank? Apparently I'm riiaach beeyotch!!

whoops, read my assesment again. My taxes increased 72% but my property value only increased 20% I would love to sell my property to Cass County for that price! How do I get this done?

I hate getting screwed by the man.

imabison
12-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Well according to Clay county my rental property value increased 72% last year. 72% in year of record property value losses! :confused: Just imagine how much it would have increased had the economy not went in the tank? Apparently I'm riiaach beeyotch!!

whoops, read my assesment again. My taxes increased 72% but my property value only increased 20% I would love to sell my property to Cass County for that price! How do I get this done?

I hate getting screwed by the man.
One line you said Clay County, and the next Cass County

Which County is it?

bisonmike2
12-10-2008, 06:03 PM
One line you said Clay County, and the next Cass County

Which County is it?

Whoops. Clay, Moorhead. But I'd sell my house to either country.

bisonaudit
12-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Digression:

I don't know how it works there but where I'm at your property tax increase has an annual cap so after a decade of valuation run ups (3x) despite a decline in market values of 20%+ in the last 12 months people here can still expect their property taxes in increase for the next several years.

I don't think it's such a terrible thing though. I can't imagine what sort of pain we'd be in for if the county government was collecting full freight for the last decade and then all of a sudden got hammered with massive declines in their property tax base. The structure were under makes for a smoother more predictable revenue stream for the county in good times and bad.

imabison
12-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Digression:

I don't know how it works there but where I'm at your property tax increase has an annual cap so after a decade of valuation run ups (3x) despite a decline in market values of 20%+ in the last 12 months people here can still expect their property taxes in increase for the next several years.

I don't think it's such a terrible thing though. I can't imagine what sort of pain we'd be in for if the county government was collecting full freight for the last decade and then all of a sudden got hammered with massive declines in their property tax base. The structure were under makes for a smoother more predictable revenue stream for the county in good times and bad.
My taxes did NOT increase in Fargo this year stayed at just over $ 2000 net, but when the assessor was at the house she sure looked for improvements. Nope nothing I said,

Then 3 weeks after she left the new windows and doors went in. They are home improvements anyway so should not effect taxable value.

BisBison
12-10-2008, 10:39 PM
My taxes did NOT increase in Fargo this year stayed at just over $ 2000 net, but when the assessor was at the house she sure looked for improvements. Nope nothing I said,

Then 3 weeks after she left the new windows and doors went in. They are home improvements anyway so should not effect taxable value.

Those are typically considered maintenance, so no increase in value.

sambini
12-14-2008, 10:45 AM
The design looks very similar to some new buildings in Coralville (ajoining Iowa City). About the same architecture, space for stores in the bottom and the coralville ones are buyable condos instead of apartments. I believe the roof of the IA ones is also a common space set up as a terrace or something like that. Its also one of the 2 buildings in town where sandbags worked in this year's floods.

I'm going to have to drive through downtown Fargo again next time I'm up that way! :nod:
This project is suppose to be done by next august?

sambini
12-29-2008, 01:25 AM
They are going gangbusters downtown. Hats off to those guys with all the snow etc..+++++++

roadwarrior
08-20-2010, 02:25 PM
The downtown cityscapes apt complex is no longer managed by NDSU.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/288334/

WarBison
08-20-2010, 03:52 PM
I think they will have a little more luck filling the place now that it's not managed by NDSU. Enforcing 'dorm' rules at a downtown apartment would be a major turnoff for most people I would think. Hopefully they can fill the commercial spaces next to the NDSU bookstore as well.

tony
08-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I think they will have a little more luck filling the place now that it's not managed by NDSU. Enforcing 'dorm' rules at a downtown apartment would be a major turnoff for most people I would think. Hopefully they can fill the commercial spaces next to the NDSU bookstore as well.

Definitely. I'd have given that idea a big "screw that!"

On the other hand, if it had the super college high speed internet included, I might have decided to rent there anyway and screw the rules.

TbonZach
08-20-2010, 10:30 PM

That and the $1,000/month rent.

bri-dog
08-20-2010, 10:43 PM
That and the $1,000/month rent.

My daughter just moved into a POS apartment at the Univ of Colo -- her 1/3 is $600, plus utilities...

TheBisonator
08-20-2010, 11:08 PM
My daughter just moved into a POS apartment at the Univ of Colo -- her 1/3 is $600, plus utilities...

YIKES... Are you sure she isn't living in JonBenet Ramsey's old house??

Bisonguy
08-20-2010, 11:53 PM

That's frickin' rocky mountain high!

EndZoneQB
08-21-2010, 01:31 AM

Not surprised. That's Boulder for you.

mebisonII
08-23-2010, 05:45 PM
What is the going rate for apartments in Fargo these days? I lived on-campus all through so never really knew. I think the LLC came out to around 300-350 a month (per person...most rooms are studios though) when it was first built.

EndZoneQB
08-23-2010, 10:17 PM
What is the going rate for apartments in Fargo these days? I lived on-campus all through so never really knew. I think the LLC came out to around 300-350 a month (per person...most rooms are studios though) when it was first built.

Theres such a vast range, it's crazy. The worst part is, most of the spendy buildings aren't any bigger, or much nicer...just new. 2bdrms are like $400 all the way up to 1k+ I'm sure.

Twentysix
08-28-2010, 06:15 AM

Differs alot, Ive lived in a 1 bedroom for 290 1 bedroom for 365 and now a 2 bedroom for 410.

There are 2 bed rooms that eclipse 1k a month. I believe the ones in moorhead on the river on main are over 1k a month for the 3 bedrooms but i think that includes cable, underground parking etc.

You can get pretty cheap and pretty expensive pretty much everywhere in the city.