PDA

View Full Version : Dome Fiasco???

duluthbison
12-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Wow, I can't believe no one here has picked up on this article in the forum yet!

Caution...may piss most bison fans off!!!

Forum Article Here (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=224290):banghead: :banghead: :mad: :mad: :banghead: :banghead:

I just don't understand why most people in this town resent our school, you would think that they would be proud to have a big D1 school in their town but instead they bash us every chance they get. Also I really don't hear the same coming from Grand Forks, so what makes us different?

GOB1SON
12-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Just a guy, who doesn't understand economic development, using a letter to the editor to stroke his own overinflated ego.

He is so concerned with finding a cause that he believes will enrage the common citizen that he hasn't taken time to look around and see how big of an economic engine NDSU really is. Ever stop and think about what Fargo would look like without NDSU?

NDSUstudent
12-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Wow, I can't believe no one here has picked up on this article in the forum yet!

Caution...may piss most bison fans off!!!

Forum Article Here (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=224290):banghead: :banghead: :mad: :mad: :banghead: :banghead:

I just don't understand why most people in this town resent our school, you would think that they would be proud to have a big D1 school in their town but instead they bash us every chance they get. Also I really don't hear the same coming from Grand Forks, so what makes us different?

I don't think most people resent NDSU, it is just a very vocal minority. That article is definitely right out of their playbook....plenty of scare tactics to go along with a very one-sided opinion.

duluthbison
12-07-2008, 11:39 PM
I guess I should have worded that differently, I guess you are right on the very vocal minority part, because that's all I tend to hear.

But on the dome expansion, It was my understanding that it didn't need a vote because the dome was funding its share solely on revenues it has in the bank and would not require any public financing.

Bisonguy
12-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Posted this in the Dome Arena thread in Our House (crying baby made the post take about 90 minutes to submit):P

- Why is this project essential now, especially considering current economic problems that are likely to stretch already limited state and federal resources for higher education?

Yeah, why would we want a project during an economic downturn that would provide jobs for hundreds of people to build this thing? Even worse would be having the arena built so it could actually be utilized and generate revenue when the economy is on the upswing. A much better idea would be to postpone it, so that construction costs will increase and we might be on the tail end of economic prosperity. :banghead: :banghead:

- Will you explain clearly the nebulous agreement as it now stands between the university, city administration, dome authority and evidently private individuals or entities that includes a financing scheme so tenuous that Fargo’s taxpayers will be at risk unless the project receives millions for naming rights?
Read any of the umpteen articles The Forum has run on the issue.

NDSUstudent
12-07-2008, 11:43 PM
I guess I should have worded that differently, I guess you are right on the very vocal minority part, because that's all I tend to hear.

But on the dome expansion, It was my understanding that it didn't need a vote because the dome was funding its share solely on revenues it has in the bank and would not require any public financing.

That it is true, this is just leftover money that the public already gave the dome in a vote over a decade ago. The only reason to have a new vote is if somebody wanted to use the money for something non-dome related.

roadwarrior
12-07-2008, 11:47 PM
If there was ever a funding scheme more rock solid than this one, I'm not quite sure what it was. The sales tax for the Fargodome ends at the end of this month. All of the city's share of the cost will be in the bank.

Letters to the editor many times just point out how totally uninformed the writer is on the topic they bring attention to.

ndsubison1
12-08-2008, 12:30 AM
"I know this state proudly went for McCain, but being that we’re still part of the United States, shouldn’t we still maintain at least a fig leaf around here about resembling something approaching democracy as most of us understand it?"

Trying to figure out what John McCain has to do with this...

Hansel
12-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Trying to figure out what John McCain has to do with this...

The writer is a lawyer for the Al Franken campaign

ndsubison1
12-08-2008, 01:08 AM
The writer is a lawyer for the Al Franken campaign

lol, i guess that explains it. maybe he helped Franken steal some votes

Gully
12-08-2008, 02:25 AM
lol, i guess that explains it. maybe he helped Franken steal some votes

exactly, it all makes perfect sense now......he's probably a Jack's fan as well!

BigDeal
12-08-2008, 02:58 AM
"I left town in a largely successful quest to do my part to save democracy as it should be, and find myself returning to an almost comedic arctic version of a banana republic. Fargo, or more accurately its “leaders,” never fail to amuse me."

Left town on a quest? Hmm, after reading this New York Times article and then his commentary, I wonder if he made it to Brookings and then stopped.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/us/06dakota.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=NOrth%20Dakota&st=cse

JackJD
12-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Hey! Leave us out of your intramural warfare! Or, if you have to pick on someone, look to the north.

scheelsguy
12-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Hey! Leave us out of your intramural warfare! Or, if you have to pick on someone, look to the north.

Good Point! It's probably the Canadians.....

UTH
12-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Good Point! It's probably the Canadians.....

Or maybe Jackistanians coming in from Canada??? Must be careful.

Back on topic a little - The guy seems like an attention whore who's feeling a little antsy / neglected. He wants his letter to create a $#!t-firestorm in public debate. Give him the attention that he deserves...

ndsubison1
12-08-2008, 06:01 AM
well, he had his 15 min of fame

bisonpride
12-17-2008, 02:57 PM
well, he had his 15 min of fame

Don't know if I would even give him credit for 15 minutes. Maybe 5 seconds and a bonus second for ranting on something to the public and not knowing any of the details of the project and really how it is being financed.