PDA

View Full Version : Watch Florida Option/Spread Offense

CaBisonFan
12-06-2008, 08:26 PM
That is what Nick Mertens is capable of running. I'm not saying that Nick is a Tim Tebow...at all. But what I 'am' saying is that this type of offensive scheme fits Nick's abilities better. I 'am not' suggesting a return to the veer.

I'm also saying that recruiting QB's with this type of athleticism might be easier.

The option within a spread, or even west coast hybrid changes everything. We saw it in the 2nd & 3rd quarter vs. SDSU. We went away from it in the 4th.

The QB doesn't have to be a great passer...just good. Add the option to almost any scheme...and things will change. We need ball control, to get our defense off the field every once in a while.

The running game will open up. Less predictable. Nick could run this offense. I'm not saying 'great,' but much better than what we saw in 2008.

rutlandbison
12-06-2008, 08:57 PM
That is what Nick Mertens is capable of running. I'm not saying that Nick is a Tim Tebow...at all. But what I 'am' saying is that this type of offensive scheme fits Nick's abilities better. I 'am not' suggesting a return to the veer.

I'm also saying that recruiting QB's with this type of athleticism might be easier.

The option within a spread, or even west coast hybrid changes everything. We saw it in the 2nd & 3rd quarter vs. SDSU. We went away from it in the 4th.

The QB doesn't have to be a great passer...just good. Add the option to almost any scheme...and things will change. We need ball control, to get our defense off the field every once in a while.

The running game will open up. Less predictable. Nick could run this offense. I'm not saying 'great,' but much better than what we saw in 2008.

Plus from the looks of it we have some shifting running backs that would look great when they get in the open.

CaBisonFan
12-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Plus from the looks of it we have some shifting running backs that would look great when they get in the open.

Yes

Tebow just ran on a play that Nick could run.

Then...the pass opened for the next play. Tebow had time...and he rarely is under center. The shotgun should be used 99 percent of the time.

*Bisonrube
12-06-2008, 09:44 PM

Nice in theory...but, Mertens has trouble going through progressions and making the "right" decisions. If he can't get the WR the ball when there is no disguise single coverage...I don't know that he can make the quick decisions necessary.

BUT, I agree with your last statement...probably be better offense for him than 2008.

Go Bison!!

CaBisonFan
12-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Nice in theory...but, Mertens has trouble going through progressions and making the "right" decisions. If he can't get the WR the ball when there is no disguise single coverage...I don't know that he can make the quick decisions necessary.

BUT, I agree with your last statement...probably be better offense for him than 2008.

Go Bison!!

I'm not disagreeing. You are probably right.

I think that when Nick drops back, he loses vision of the progression of the play...and has trouble finding it back when he turns toward the movement of the play. In the gun, he has the field view already and doesn't have to turn...but more importantly...it seems like having the option to run is like a security blanket for him. And as I've written before, he can move toward the line of scrimmage and decide to throw a short pass over the top of the linebackers & backs that commit to him running. Against SDSU, it worked beautifully. Nick wasn't tied to the traditional pass routes. It's actually like an option passing game also. Run/pass option. Don't know if there's a name for that.

We still need to recruit a transfer that can compete with Nick, and a couple of outstanding QB's every single year.

Nick needs to see the play from the gun, and to maintain the vision. When he turns away, he can't find the flow of the play back. It slows down his reaction time, and he starts to think too much.

Mr. Burgundy
12-06-2008, 11:20 PM
I think Tim Tebow just won the heisman!

CaBisonFan
12-06-2008, 11:21 PM

I would agree.

GOB1SON
12-07-2008, 06:14 AM

Probably not. I still think that a B12 QB will win.

But he showed a ton of heart and a ton of passion.

First Predication:

Oklahoma 55, Florida 50. It is going to be one hell of an entertaining game!!!

NDSUFan_Sav
12-07-2008, 08:58 AM

First Predication:

you're right i don't think teebow wins it either. If Alabama turns their 2 field goals into TDs i think they win the game.

BisoninNWMN
12-07-2008, 12:15 PM

Definitely deserving......Bradford from Ok has 58 total tds (53 pass - 5 rush)....probably the front-runner.

twowheels
12-07-2008, 12:45 PM
The following are excerpts from the 2005 signing release. When I read through the release my thought was that one of Nick's great strengths, (maybe even his greater strength), as QB was with his running. His completion % of passes for his senior year was between 60 & 65% netting him 36 TD's with his rushing netting him 20 TD's. For his 3 year career his average of completed passes was about 55% for a total of 59 TD's with his rushing netting 45 TD's. He threw 7 interceptions his senior year and a total of 21 interceptions for his 3 year career.

I do believe that his abilities and skills as QB were not fully used this year and that it would have been a different year had they been. Just my opinion.

2005 NDSU National Signing Day Release

*NICK MERTENS, Quarterback, 6-1, 190, East Grand Forks, Minn. (East Grand Forks H.S.)--
Completed 150-of-242 passes for 2,459 yards, 36 touchdowns and seven interceptions, and rushed for 824 yards and 20 TDs on 171 carries ....

During three-year career, completed 291-of-528 passes for 5,243 yards, 59 TDs and 21 interceptions ... Rushed for 1,846 yards and 45 TDs on 413 carries (4.47 ypc)

BisonNeil
12-07-2008, 03:36 PM
First Predication:

Perhaps, but the one think I hate about the BCS system is that the teams that play the game haven't played one for 4-7 weeks and they are rusty, not well oiled like OK has been the past five games. We'll see...

d3boys
12-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Perhaps, but the one think I hate about the BCS system is that the teams that play the game haven't played one for 4-7 weeks and they are rusty, not well oiled like OK has been the past five games. We'll see...

I believe they set a record for consecutive games scoring 60+

ndsubison1
12-07-2008, 08:59 PM

First Predication:

No way Oky puts up 55 on Florida

SlickVic
12-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I believe they set a record for consecutive games scoring 60+

by running up the score and against horrible defenses

unbison
12-07-2008, 11:09 PM
come on now slic.... dont want pick on you but beside ok st. being a big time rivalry.... they were also ranked in the top 20 and texas tech was ranked the big numero uno when d SOONERS took it to them

rutlandbison
12-07-2008, 11:36 PM
come on now slic.... dont want pick on you but beside ok st. being a big time rivalry.... they were also ranked in the top 20 and texas tech was ranked the big numero uno when d SOONERS took it to them

Well, really the were "numero dos"

CaBisonFan
12-08-2008, 02:12 AM
They both have ridiculously good offenses. It's apparent that Oklahoma & Florida's obnoxious drubbings of other teams has put them in the championship game. I don't like it...but they're playing the BCS game.

SlickVic
12-08-2008, 04:24 AM
They both have ridiculously good offenses. It's apparent that Oklahoma & Florida's obnoxious drubbings of other teams has put them in the championship game. I don't like it...but they're playing the BCS game.

it appears the media has made them both out to be gods gift to football much like 2005 when penn state and ohio state were far suppior football teams to texas and usc...whose to say penn state beats usc or vise versa they are not national champions? bcs is bs although there are some good games once again the sec gets a pass in the sugar bowl...think ohio state all kill texas

SlickVic
12-08-2008, 04:26 AM

heard mings boy gary danielson say that 8 out of the 12 defenses in the big 12 are ranked 80th or worse in the nation...missouri is pathetic number 119 out of 119 against the pass pretty sure texas tech doesnt field a top 80 defense either i may be wrong but i doubt it...think alot of big 12 teams are bound to get blown out in bowl games especially texas really like your boy brester against kansas as well and what are they the 4th best team in the big 12 vs the worst bowl eligible team from the big 10? that should say it all...

bisonmike2
12-08-2008, 04:21 PM
One thing I noticed from Tebow that I would love for our team to have to have is the competitive fire. Did anyone see the end of the SEC game? Tebow was commanding out there and after they went and scored the go-ahead score he went over and got in the face of the coverage guys and then later he got in the face of the defensive players. He made everyone on that team know that he did his job and he expected everyone else to do theirs. I'm not saying Mertens needs to be that leader but somebody needs to step up and be that guy.

ndsubison1
12-08-2008, 05:13 PM
One thing I noticed from Tebow that I would love for our team to have to have is the competitive fire. Did anyone see the end of the SEC game? Tebow was commanding out there and after they went and scored the go-ahead score he went over and got in the face of the coverage guys and then later he got in the face of the defensive players. He made everyone on that team know that he did his job and he expected everyone else to do theirs. I'm not saying Mertens needs to be that leader but somebody needs to step up and be that guy.

yup, I saw that, Tebow is the best leader to ever play the game

56BISON73
12-08-2008, 05:30 PM

I guess there records and play had nothing to do with their selection????
PL

KilldeerBison
12-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I believe NDSU is geared up well to run some kind of option offense. The line is big and pretty physical, but they lost some of their violent nature since the '07 season. Still, I think Mertens would be in a good situation running an option. And get Mohler started now!

CaBisonFan
12-08-2008, 10:29 PM
I guess there records and play had nothing to do with their selection????
PL

Of course it did. My only point is that Texas beat Oklahoma. Head-to-head competition should be weighted strongly in favor of the winner. That's all...and it's just a lousy opinion. Not gonna change my life either way.

I'm not denying the outstanding play of Oklahoma or Florida. I just don't like the process.

CaBisonFan
12-08-2008, 10:41 PM
I believe NDSU is geared up well to run some kind of option offense. The line is big and pretty physical, but they lost some of their violent nature since the '07 season. Still, I think Mertens would be in a good situation running an option. And get Mohler started now!

I agree. Good comments about the line.

I think that the West Coast 'pass to set up the run' philosophy has an effect on an offensive line also. Get into an option game that allows a big QB to control the game, with a decent arm, out of the shotgun most of the time...and the 'D' has more to think about.

If Nick is going to be the guy...I really think that he loses vision of the field and has trouble locating people when he has to drop back or turn away from the play.

I don't know...but I thought it was striking how comfortable he looked in the middle of the SDSU game. When he knew that he was being encouraged to run...he looked completely different. His passes looked completely different. His body language in the huddle was different. The results were different. All it would take is 3 or 4 pitches a game...and the RB's would find more room on the more traditional running plays. There's no deception right now.

We sustained drives.

BisoninNWMN
12-09-2008, 01:29 AM
I guess there records and play had nothing to do with their selection????PL

It came down to the 4th or 5th tie-breaker which was the BCS ranking.

IMO, Texas should be playing Florida based on head-to-head win over OK.

I would rather see a playoff....cut the season back down to 11 games and have a 32 team field or possibly more with some 1st round byes. Play each week and the NC would be crowned at about the same time. But $$$$$$ with the bowls is the big factor in no playoff:(

fargocyclone
12-09-2008, 01:35 AM

I would rather see a playoff....cut the season back down to 11 games and have a 32 team field or possibly more with some 1st round byes. Play each week and the NC would be crowned at about the same time. But $$$$$$ with the bowls is the big factor in no playoff:(

32 is WAY too many.

ndsubison1
12-09-2008, 02:07 AM

32 are you kidding me? Let's don't go crazy now. Even 16 and 8 would be crazy, A big playoff would just be as big of a mess. 4 makes the most sense IMO. And Oklahoma is more deserving, head to head is thrown out, three-way tie........................

Read this: http://thesportsflow.blogspot.com/2008/11/playoffs.html

CarringtonBison
12-09-2008, 02:09 AM

IMO, I think that TT should have been in there based on the head to head win over Texas.

Wait, it should be OK based on the head to head win over TT.......

Get the point. Texas may very well have deserved to be there, but in the situation you go with the rules that were in place and it just so happened to be OK. I have no vested interest in the Big 12 championship so it really didn't matter to me, but I defend the rules and how it was set up. Texas didn't make it-they lost to TT. Simple-win the game and you are in the NC game. They didn't so it went to the tiebreaker which benefited OK.