PDA

View Full Version : Ball State declines bowl

JackJD
12-05-2008, 02:13 AM
Undefeated Ball State turns down an invite to play undefeated Boise State in the Humanitarian Bowl (at Boise State). At least one sports writer is calling the Cardinals, "Chickens".
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=jn-ballst120408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

sambini
12-05-2008, 02:36 AM
Who want to go to Boise?

56BISON73
12-05-2008, 02:38 AM
That would be a tad far for their fans to travel to. PL

TbonZach
12-05-2008, 03:17 AM
That would be a tad far for their fans to travel to. PL

I agree but disagree. I think the die hard and some not so die hard fans would travel no matter where the game is.

However, if the declination of the invite was based heavily on fan travel, that is taking it too far. IMO

gotts
12-05-2008, 03:18 AM
Bowl game should be a neutral site.

That has me thinking, has a stadium that's ever hosted a Super Bowl had it's home team play in it?

99Bison
12-05-2008, 03:26 AM
This decline was seen coming for miles, the speculation is that it wasn't going to even be offered...

56BISON73
12-05-2008, 03:44 AM
I agree but disagree. I think the die hard and some not so die hard fans would travel no matter where the game is.

However, if the declination of the invite was based heavily on fan travel, that is taking it too far. IMO

Why???
Many teams are invited because of how there fans travel. Plus teams HAVE to look at travel expenses and the pay outs of the bowl games. MANY teams LOSE money when they go to a bowl game.
But the question you have to ask do yopu want to play in Boise and only have a couple hundred of your fans there or play closer to home and have more fans and less travel expenses.
Ball State is in a good position to pick and choose. PL

99Bison
12-05-2008, 03:50 AM
Guys... This has been beat on like a dead horse in national media for the last 3 weeks.

Ball state has no incentive to travel to the home stadium of another undefeated mid-level conference type team just so there can be a undefeated vs. undefeated matchup for the public consumption. However, they would most certainly play at any neutral site for the undefeated battle, no matter where geographically.

Trim
12-05-2008, 04:26 AM
That has me thinking, has a stadium that's ever hosted a Super Bowl had it's home team play in it?

I don't think so. Tampa will try this year.

TbonZach
12-05-2008, 04:56 AM
Why???
Many teams are invited because of how there fans travel. Plus teams HAVE to look at travel expenses and the pay outs of the bowl games. MANY teams LOSE money when they go to a bowl game.
But the question you have to ask do you want to play in Boise and only have a couple hundred of your fans there or play closer to home and have more fans and less travel expenses.
Ball State is in a good position to pick and choose. PL

You're right. I got to thinking about that right after I originally posted. I was going to edit it and take out the second line but I got distracted.

As a side note that's kind of along the same line, and as a topic of discussion.... if NDSU was undefeated and went to the big show for football this year (or any other year for that matter) and they had to face another undefeated team, would they decline? While it's not necessarily at the opposing team's turf or a bowl game, would fan travel be thought about as much as if it were an FBS team?

ndsubison1
12-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Ball St. vs. Boise? That could've been a classic, but I don't blame the Cards...

56BISON73
12-05-2008, 05:32 AM
You're right. I got to thinking about that right after I originally posted. I was going to edit it and take out the second line but I got distracted.

As a side note that's kind of along the same line, and as a topic of discussion.... if NDSU was undefeated and went to the big show for football this year (or any other year for that matter) and they had to face another undefeated team, would they decline? While it's not necessarily at the opposing team's turf or a bowl game, would fan travel be thought about as much as if it were an FBS team?

No---fan travel wouldnt come in to play because it would be a playoff game with the possibility of winning and moving on to a possible NC.
The Ball State game wouldnt have any real national ramifications and its just a bowl game. PL

BisoninNWMN
12-05-2008, 11:49 AM
I disagree....they should have accepted the invite. Now all people are going to remember is that Ball State went undeafted and declined a bowl bid...win or lose.

They would have earned more respect going to Boise State's home field and playing the game win or lose. Now they are going where?........Motor City Whatever Bowl against a 6-6 or 7-5 team and probably lose to them......from a BCS conference.

Fan travel??? Ya, maybe Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio State, Florida....etc....Ball State????......Bison would travel better!!!!!

Poor decision by the admin at Ball State.

gotts
12-05-2008, 11:59 AM
I disagree....they should have accepted the invite. Now all people are going to remember is that Ball State went undeafted and declined a bowl bid...win or lose.

They would have earned more respect going to Boise State's home field and playing the game win or lose. Now they are going where?........Motor City Whatever Bowl against a 6-6 or 7-5 team and probably lose to them......from a BCS conference.

Fan travel??? Ya, maybe Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio State, Florida....etc....Ball State????......Bison would travel better!!!!!

I think they actually stand to gain more respect by playing a BCS conference team rather than a team with a cupcake of a schedule.

Like it's been mentioned before, make it a neutral site and I bet Ball St. accepts in a heartbeat!

IzzyFlexion
12-05-2008, 03:10 PM
I think they actually stand to gain more respect by playing a BCS conference team rather than a team with a cupcake of a schedule.

Like it's been mentioned before, make it a neutral site and I bet Ball St. accepts in a heartbeat!

How about the FFD? neutral, kind of a mid-point. Make it happen! :p

ThunderDan
12-05-2008, 03:32 PM
I agree that they should have played it, but I can see where they are coming from....undefeated season, and you get offered to play Boise St. AT Boise St??? Thats kind of a slap in the face to your program I would say...at least make it a neutral field for crying out loud.

SlickVic
12-05-2008, 11:36 PM
ill be rooting for buffalo...turner gill baby chea

56BISON73
12-06-2008, 12:16 AM

In time NOBODY will remeber what happened EXCEPT for the Ball State fans who were able to attend the bowl game because of the decisions that were made.
It makes no difference WHO travels better because its the Ball State fans who have a stake in this and nobody else. THEY are the ones who count. What the other teams fans have to do with this is beyong me.
PL

gotts
12-06-2008, 02:07 AM
How about the FFD? neutral, kind of a mid-point. Make it happen! :p

I'd rather watch Bison basketball before I saw that game, personally....