PDA

View Full Version : To schedule FBS or not to schedule FBS

Bison"FANatic"
12-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Here is a link to a Forum article

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/rss.cfm?id=223807

I think this is being handled quite well and we are in a position to be picky with the attendance we have. It sure is nice not to be scrambling for games. Thank you Missouri Valley!!!!!!

bisonmike2
12-02-2008, 09:30 PM
That's a good point. Why get paid $150K to go on the road,play in front of a crowd of 20 to 25K, and probably lose when we can stay home, make 200K, and play a cupcake.

lakesbison
12-02-2008, 10:34 PM
"BRING ON THE COMPETITION"

Travelling to Minnesota, WYOMING and IOWA STATE next year is WHY many of my friends jumped on the NDSU bandwagon.

Playing these teams is how my cousins in Chicago/Houston & L.A even know that NDSU exists in most cases.

Why not play these teams???? it's an absolute joke if NDSU doesn't have 1 of these teams every year to play, PERIOD!

We moved up to Division 1 to BE DIVISION 1... not to play AUSTIN PEAY, CENTRAL CONN, etc etc.

PLAY THE FBS TEAMS, $400k- 500K for any MVC or Small BIG TEN school, WE WILL BRING 5000-10000 fans to make up the differences on their campuses and towns!!

EagleBison
12-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Playing FBS schools is good for promoting the program, but a bigger payout as has been mentioned before is needed. Montana got around $600,000 for their last FBS game, because they can make $300,000 per home game.

roadwarrior
12-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Travelling to Minnesota, WYOMING and IOWA STATE next year is WHY many of my friends jumped on the NDSU bandwagon.

The article is talking about not playing lower level FBS teams like the MAC schools and Sunbelt schools, not no longer playing MN, WYO or ISU.

Bisonfan1
12-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Montana State - we OWE THEM one !! If you know what I mean.

HerdBot
12-02-2008, 11:04 PM
That's a good point. Why get paid $150K to go on the road,play in front of a crowd of 20 to 25K, and probably lose when we can stay home, make 200K, and play a cupcake.

Yep. Of course we'll get some TV time if we play a team like Iowa State or Minnesota but we probably won't win. TV time is valuable. Nobody saw us beat Ball State or Central Michigan. Last years Wyoming game was a rip of. Not a home game. A loss. No TV exposure. Moderate pay day. We could have sold the dome out at home that week against anyone and got a win. Replacing Wyoming with a home win would have changed he complexion of he season.

tony
12-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Wow, what a change it is to have 10 out of 11 games scheduled in November? For a while there, it'd get to be March or so and we'd only know six or seven games and people would start to panic (then Gene would pull four games out of thin air).

NDSUstudent
12-03-2008, 12:19 AM
In my opinion if we aren't playing Minnesta, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska or Wisconsin I'd rather the see team play at home or on the road against an elite FCS team.

SDbison
12-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Nothing wrong with playing Wyoming, and a bunch of other FBS teams within 1000 mles of Fargo. NDSU travels very well.......better than the lower two thirds of FBS. Have to keep on playing FBS and getting the exposure because NDSU will someday be FBS or equivalent (within 10 years). Playing one FBS is ten times better than FCS. My opinion so fire away all you want. BTW, those who want all FCS are stuck back in DII.

gizmo
12-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Yep. Of course we'll get some TV time if we play a team like Iowa State or Minnesota but we probably won't win. TV time is valuable. Nobody saw us beat Ball State or Central Michigan. Last years Wyoming game was a rip of. Not a home game. A loss. No TV exposure. Moderate pay day. We could have sold the dome out at home that week against anyone and got a win. Replacing Wyoming with a home win would have changed he complexion of he season.

Ditto!

There's a good chance that NDSU's season would still be going without the Wyoming debacle.

SDbison
12-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Ditto!

There's a good chance that NDSU's season would still be going without the Wyoming debacle.
Kool-aid drinkers I repeat........this Bison team was not ever good enough this year to deserve being in the playoffs. Listen to Bohls post season interview if you don't believe it. Homers, get f'ing over it!

gotts
12-03-2008, 01:46 AM
Kool-aid drinkers I repeat........this Bison team was not ever good enough this year to deserve being in the playoffs. Listen to Bohls post season interview if you don't believe it. Homers, get f'ing over it!

Forgive me for thinking the forums were a place for commentary and speculations.

I'll just stick to being a realist from now on... :smh:

BisBison
12-03-2008, 01:55 AM

Good post and rep points to you, however moderate pay day at WYO? It was $275K if I remember correctly. We've only received more than that from our little rodent friends from the twin cities so far.

CaBisonFan
12-03-2008, 01:59 AM
Here is a link to a Forum article

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/rss.cfm?id=223807

I think this is being handled quite well and we are in a position to be picky with the attendance we have. It sure is nice not to be scrambling for games. Thank you Missouri Valley!!!!!!

It 'is' nice to be off of the 'road warrior' mentality of the transition. That was brutal.

We can choose when to be David vs. Goliath now.

For me, if we're going to do it, I'd like Goliath to be a big one...such as Wisconsin, Nebraska, UCLA, or something like that. Big-name programs that maybe aren't at the peak of their game. Of course, if you schedule one of those, they could be awesome by the time the game actually happens.

I'd look for the combination of big name & big money...and get the money into the 5 to 6 hundred thousand category.

It needs to be a high-profile opponent that really can't hurt our chances of making the playoffs...if there is such a thing.

Thanks for putting this article up.

GOB1SON
12-03-2008, 02:10 AM
If the Bison are going to play a FBS each year, I would prefer it be against a BCS conference team, even a poor one like Iowa State.

My wife and I loved the Laramie trip, enjoyed the scenery, but I would much rather have lost to Indiana than Wyoming. Although the MWC wasn't a bad conference this year, and in fact, was probably the best non-BCS conference out there, despite Wyo and SDSU.

Plus, playing games in more "fertile" recruiting grounds like Illinois (just an example) is favorable as well.

CaBisonFan
12-03-2008, 02:17 AM

It's not Kool-Aid.

If bisonville can't have an element of 'homer-ism,' then please let me know where it would be allowable.

Maine was in the playoffs. They didn't turn down the offer.

I have nothing against playing a Wyoming. We should have beaten them. We were having them for lunch. But if we had played a powder-puff...we might have been in.

This team wasn't good enough to win the championship...but the experience would have been good for them. Bet we were as good as half the teams in the field.

CaBisonFan
12-03-2008, 02:21 AM
Forgive me for thinking the forums were a place for commentary and speculations.

I'll just stick to being a realist from now on... :smh:

Realism is boring. This is about a frackin' football team.

Why be a realist? Following a football team is a hobby...or at least it should be.

I'm with you. :nod:

CaBisonFan
12-03-2008, 02:25 AM
If the Bison are going to play a FBS each year, I would prefer it be against a BCS conference team, even a poor one like Iowa State.

My wife and I loved the Laramie trip, enjoyed the scenery, but I would much rather have lost to Indiana than Wyoming. Although the MWC wasn't a bad conference this year, and in fact, was probably the best non-BCS conference out there, despite Wyo and SDSU.

Plus, playing games in more "fertile" recruiting grounds like Illinois (just an example) is favorable as well.

Agreed...but still...Wyoming went and beat Tennessee...a team that didn't win a lot this year, but if you look at their schedule/results this year, they were only blown out (moderately) by Florida. Tennessee wasn't a horrible SEC team.

To repeat...I'd rather see us play a high-profile team like Nebraska, Wisconsin, UCLA, or something like that...in a huge arena. Something that would make national news if we pulled off the upset.

So for the most part...I agree.

clenz
12-03-2008, 03:14 AM
The thing that hurts NDSU some here is the lack of high quality FBS teams right around there. I know Minnesota is there, and they are slowly maybe getting better, but that is about it unless you head down to Iowa for UI or ISU. That could be tough as well though, since UNI has a contract to play either one of them through 2017.

Nebraska would be a good option for NDSU if they would take the bait. That would be great exposure for NDSU in the souther part of the upper midwest.

Teams I think might be great for NDSU
Iowa
Iowa State
Nebraska
Kansas
Indiana (even more exposure in that state appart from just playing ISUB)
Illinois (again the exposure to the kids, especially since the name of NDSU will be there by playing the Illinois schools.)
Minnesota
Colorado
Wisconsin

The problem FCS teams are going to face with BCS conference schools know is that the FCS has had some wins/near wins the last couple years. So the BCS teams that aren't top level might be more hesitant to take a NDSU, UNI, App St., Montana, etc...

NDSUstudent
12-03-2008, 03:16 AM
The thing that hurts NDSU some here is the lack of high quality FBS teams right around there. I know Minnesota is there, and they are slowly maybe getting better, but that is about it unless you head down to Iowa for UI or ISU. That could be tough as well though, since UNI has a contract to play either one of them through 2017.

Nebraska would be a good option for NDSU if they would take the bait. That would be great exposure for NDSU in the souther part of the upper midwest.

Teams I think might be great for NDSU
Iowa
Iowa State
Nebraska
Kansas
Indiana (even more exposure in that state appart from just playing ISUB)
Illinois (again the exposure to the kids, especially since the name of NDSU will be there by playing the Illinois schools.)
Minnesota
Colorado

Don't forget about Wisconsin, after Minnesota that is our next biggest recruiting pipeline.

clenz
12-03-2008, 03:30 AM
Don't forget about Wisconsin, after Minnesota that is our next biggest recruiting pipeline.I thought about that right after I pushed post, and went back and edited it. You caught me in the minute or two between submissions.

NDSUstudent
12-03-2008, 03:38 AM
I thought about that right after I pushed post, and went back and edited it. You caught me in the minute or two between submissions.

Yeah I thought you might change that, our AD has been trying to get a game with Wisconsin for a while and is a game I would plan on going to without hesitation. It almost happened last year but the open dates just didn't line up.

HerdBot
12-03-2008, 09:48 PM

We would have been better than say, Maine who got blown out b y UNI 40-15

BisonNeil
12-04-2008, 04:13 AM
WE WILL BRING 5000-10000 fans to make up the differences on their campuses and towns!!

And tell us, how many NDSU fans were at WY, Ball State and C Michigan?

If the drive is 3 hrs, yeah, you're right. But beyond that, maybe Wisconsin we would bring some, but I doubt there would be that many tickets to be had for NDSU fans.

Get real.

BisonNeil
12-04-2008, 04:20 AM
So the BCS teams that aren't top level might be more hesitant to take a NDSU, UNI, App St., Montana, etc...

With all due respect to you homers, NDSU is a ways away from being mentioned with those three teams, especially Appy. Sorry, but that is beyond being a homer, its just unrealistic to mention NDSU with those perennial playoff teams at this point in time.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2008, 04:26 AM
With all due respect to you homers, NDSU is a ways away from being mentioned with those three teams, especially Appy. Sorry, but that is beyond being a homer, its just unrealistic to mention NDSU with those perennial playoff teams at this point in time.

Neil, Clenz is a UNI fan...

gotts
12-04-2008, 04:43 AM
Neil, Clenz is a UNI fan...

Oh snap!

NDSU has clearly shown they're not an FCS team to be taken lightly...

CaBisonFan
12-04-2008, 05:09 AM

And it's unrealistic to group us with the medium to lower tier FCS teams also.

We hit a bump in the road this year. It might take another year to pull things back together...but we 'do' belong in the upper echelon of FCS teams.

It's not being a homer Neil. It's called being a fan. If fans can't be optimistic, then please tell me who is allowed to be? This is a forum for discussion and opinions. Your 'opinion' is only one...I think. Is it OK with you if some of us wave our hanky once in a while?

Thanks clenz. You said it right. I appreciate the respect for the Bison.

gotts
12-04-2008, 05:20 AM

We hit a bump in the road this year. It might take another year to pull things back together...but we 'do' belong in the upper echelon of FCS teams.

It's not being a homer Neil. It's called being a fan. If fans can't be optimistic, then please tell me who is allowed to be? This is a forum for discussion and opinions. Your 'opinion' is only one...I think. Is it OK with you if some of us wave our hanky once in a while?

Simply put, we're in a class of our own!

BisoninNWMN
12-04-2008, 11:41 AM

Right on , Ca.

Bison go 6-5 and we are on the same level as Austin Peay and Bryant in many people's minds.

We are in the upper echelon of the FCS with our facilities, resources, fan support, etc. Our record was subpar this year NDSU will be a "force" in the FCS. Bison would have a hard time scheduling MAC schools in the future with our past successes against them.

By reading some of the post on here, the Bison must have been 0-11 this year with a loss to Moorhead State......ya, we were crap and should have stayed in DII.;)

clenz
12-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Wait.....did I just get called on a homer on the NDSU board? :confused: :confused: :confused: :rofl: WTF? I guess I would be an FCS homer, but far from an NDSU homer.

NDSU has FBS wins, which AD's will see and think very hard if it is worth the chance.

I guess I'll add my avatar and sig from Panthernation and AGS to avoid further confusion.

99Bison
12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Wait.....did I just get called on a homer on the NDSU board? :confused: :confused: :confused: :rofl: WTF? I guess I would be an FCS homer, but far from an NDSU homer.

lakesbison
12-04-2008, 04:59 PM
NEIL:: wyoming booster president said 3,000+ there was a story link. UNI had 2500-3000 there. ball st + CMU is low level fbs.

Iowa st will have 5,000+

wisc or neb--5000-10000..
believe it.

tcbison
12-04-2008, 05:01 PM

NDSU has FBS wins, which AD's will see and think very hard if it is worth the chance.

I guess I'll add my avatar and sig from Panthernation and AGS to avoid further confusion.

This reply is too funny. Deserves many more :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and lots of rep points!

Ferd
12-04-2008, 06:03 PM
If we don't get a high paying, decent FBS school we should try to get home/home with playoff caliber FCS teams. The only weaker team I want to play is the first game of the season... to get us ready for the rest of the year.

Then be sure to schedule our bye week strategically.

In order to beat the best you have to play the best.

Just my opinion.

bisonmike2
12-04-2008, 08:02 PM
NEIL:: wyoming booster president said 3,000+ there was a story link. UNI had 2500-3000 there. ball st + CMU is low level fbs.

Iowa st will have 5,000+

believe it.

wow, you're back! Finally post bail or what?

IzzyFlexion
12-04-2008, 09:38 PM

Iowa st will have 5,000+

believe it.

The Testicle Tech faithful may have a problem with you calling that program "low level" this year!

WYOBISONMAN
12-05-2008, 02:18 PM

We have been in FCS avery short time. We had two fanatastic seasons, but really have never proved anything in the playoffs. This yeas edition of the Bison was very mediocre and was nothing to write home about. So far the Bison have proved little to the FCS world. I do think we have good potential to develop into a dominant FCS team, an elite FCS team, or what ever you want to call it. BUT, we are no there yet, and we have a long ways to go. I seriously doubt that next year will set the world on fire. I hope I am wrong.

You can be a fan, but a bit of reality never hurts.

IzzyFlexion
12-05-2008, 02:38 PM
We have been in FCS avery short time. We had two fanatastic seasons, but really have never proved anything in the playoffs. This yeas edition of the Bison was very mediocre and was nothing to write home about. So far the Bison have proved little to the FCS world. I do think we have good potential to develop into a dominant FCS team, an elite FCS team, or what ever you want to call it. BUT, we are no there yet, and we have a long ways to go. I seriously doubt that next year will set the world on fire. I hope I am wrong.

You can be a fan, but a bit of reality never hurts.

You do realize that 800 gazillion Chicago Cubs fans both past and present have never subscribed to any form of "reality" when it comes to forecasting success for that team. I only draw that comparison because by both nature and definition a FAN is best characterized as emphasizing the positives and supressing the negatives of whatever team they're pulling for.
I am, by the way, proud to say that I'm not a Cubs fan!!
I'm not saying you're wrong....because you're not. It just aint natural.

NDSUFan_Sav
12-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Iowa st will have 5,000+

believe it.

If we play Wisconsin, a lot of our alum would go from Minneapolis area, its not that far of a drive....we brought what 10,000-15,000 bison fans the first year to the Metrodome and 30,000 the 2nd...I agree with you Lakes we'd bring at least 5,000+ if we can find some seats that will be the only prob

OldBison
12-05-2008, 05:28 PM
If we play Wisconsin, a lot of our alum would go from Minneapolis area, its not that far of a drive....we brought what 10,000-15,000 bison fans the first year to the Metrodome and 30,000 the 2nd...I agree with you Lakes we'd bring at least 5,000+ if we can find some seats that will be the only prob

That assumes of course that there would be that many tickets available, which I doubt very much. WI sells out every game.

GOB1SON
12-05-2008, 05:31 PM
I also think some of the "shine" from the transition will wear off and many of those that hit the Gopher game won't be as interested.

A lot of folks went to the Gopher games because the were novel.

NDSUFan_Sav
12-05-2008, 05:34 PM
That assumes of course that there would be that many tickets available, which I doubt very much. WI sells out every game.

yeah i know thats why i said if we can find some seats....but if they're looking like they did against cal poly???? who knows where fans will be!!! :D