PDA

View Full Version : Stadiums

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 08:22 AM
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/6600/ballstatexz7.gifhttp://img75.imageshack.us/img75/791/wyomingyg3.gifhttp://img75.imageshack.us/img75/8646/westernmichiganal6.jpghttp://img75.imageshack.us/img75/8950/usccoliseumzy5.gifhttp://img75.imageshack.us/img75/9016/missourisl5.jpghttp://img75.imageshack.us/img75/391/miamiohiofe5.gifhttp://img75.imageshack.us/img75/6697/louisvilleni2.gifhttp://img75.imageshack.us/img75/6246/kentstatenx9.jpghttp://img75.imageshack.us/img75/9452/idahoad9.jpghttp://img75.imageshack.us/img75/687/eastcarolinazo8.gifhttp://img75.imageshack.us/img75/6624/calih6.jpghttp://img75.imageshack.us/img75/3963/boisestateqy2.gif

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 08:52 AM
I had trouble editing and writing next to the pictures in the original post. To see all of the pics...you'll have to scroll to the right. Couldn't fix it.

From left to right...Ball State, Wyoming, Western Michigan, USC, Missouri, East Carolina, Louisville, Kent State, Idaho, (whoops, East Carolina again), Cal, & Boise State. Circled sections are student seating.

Found this article about changing the seating to accomodate students better at Michigan. I couldn't find a diagram showing the specific sections.

http://www.michigansportscenter.com/2006/05/football-student-section-to-be.html

I found other examples of stadiums where the students only get the end zones. There were several where the students spread out from the end zone to about the 30 or 40 yardline. A majority of schools made sure that some of their students were near the 30 or 40 yardline. A few, as pictured, put the student body on the upper level across the length of the field. I was shocked to see what USC does at the Coliseum. They got it right.

Carter Finley Stadium in Rawleigh, NC has some interesting labels for its sections. Looks like they give people options about the environment.

http://www.collegegridirons.com/seatingcharts/acc/carterfinley.gif

But I found the article about Michigan the most interesting. A powerhouse program where tickets are very difficult to get still made the students a priority...at the expense of making donors angry. Amazing...a university that puts its students before anyone else...which in turn, makes the playing environment better.

Students wouldn't come you say? They already don't come to the games you say? hmmmmmm....I wonder...are college students perceptive enough to know that they're not the priority? Atmosphere is already great at the dome you say? So make it better. The place should be rocking 'during' timeouts.

Want the Bison tradition to really return to its old glory days?? Then get the priorities straight. Right now...the message is clear. Donors before students.

Real boosters don't care what they get in return.

tony
11-28-2008, 09:32 AM
But I found the article about Michigan the most interesting. A powerhouse program where tickets are very difficult to get still made the students a priority...at the expense of making donors angry.

Hmm, did Michigan move donors out of their seats to make room for that student section? If not, then the situations are not comparable. Besides, since Michigan can sell as many tickets for one home game than NDSU can sell for an entire season, they have a little more wiggle room.

BisoninNWMN
11-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Hmm, did Michigan move donors out of their seats to make room for that student section? If not, then the situations are not comparable. Besides, since Michigan can sell as many tickets for one home game than NDSU can sell for an entire season, they have a little more wiggle room.

Agreed. 110K seats is like apples and oranges compared to 18-19K

FFD student section is fine where it is at.

stevdock
11-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Until the students use all of their tickets for the entire season I don't know if you can really justify moving them. Or maybe all except Ind. St. If they do that, which I can't remember a season where that actually happened, then maybe it's time to discuss it. But until then I really can't see it happening.

NDSUFREAK
11-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Until the students use all of their tickets for the entire season I don't know if you can really justify moving them. Or maybe all except Ind. St. If they do that, which I can't remember a season where that actually happened, then maybe it's time to discuss it. But until then I really can't see it happening.
Bingo. Thats it. We don't try to accomodate the students "better" until they actually show up for the games week in week out. Putting students across the field will never work out because of the whining that teammakers will do.

roadwarrior
11-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Check these stadiums: Cal Poly, Illinois State, Central Michigan

All student seating in the end zone.

DORMIE
11-28-2008, 04:16 PM
In the words of King Roadwarrior, Ken Lien, "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks- Talk's Cheap But It Takes Money To Buy Whiskey" Everyone wants a winner. But it takes money to be a winner. Teammakers is being asked to raise $2,000,000.00. It was about $300.000.00 when I was president in 94-95. To be truthful, I don't believe the students actually pay their fair share. The problem we have here is that we have a liberal school teacher telling us to shit on the Teammakers because someone else (their philosophy) will pay and cave in to the students. It will never happen.

Bisonfan1
11-28-2008, 05:10 PM
why not put HALF the students in section 21 on the north end, then the Team Makers who want to get into the game can fill half of the old student section, and half of the new one, section 21 on the north end is just reserved seating I believe, not a Team makers section, than you would have noise on both ends like there should be, and the sit on the hands can still keep their seats. ???? Wouldnt that be a draw for the east side rowdies who are now stuck in the dead zone over there ??

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 06:10 PM

As I wrote in the original post, some schools have their student seating in the end zone. You're repeating what I've written. yawn

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 06:16 PM

Considering the population of the region near the University of Michigan, and the huge demand for tickets there, it's all relative. It is 45 miles from Detroit (proper), and approximately 20 miles from the suburbs.

Long-time season ticket holders were moved. I couldn't answer the donor part...but I'll make an educated guess, that most season ticket holders belong to a group like our Teammakers, or at least give something.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 06:20 PM
In the words of King Roadwarrior, Ken Lien, "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks- Talk's Cheap But It Takes Money To Buy Whiskey" Everyone wants a winner. But it takes money to be a winner. Teammakers is being asked to raise $2,000,000.00. It was about $300.000.00 when I was president in 94-95. To be truthful, I don't believe the students actually pay their fair share. The problem we have here is that we have a liberal school teacher telling us to shit on the Teammakers because someone else (their philosophy) will pay and cave in to the students. It will never happen.

Thanks for the compliment dormie. Look up the adjective in the dictionary.

Hey roadwarrior & Tony: I thought that political statements weren't allowed on bisonville.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Agreed. 110K seats is like apples and oranges compared to 18-19K

FFD student section is fine where it is at.

If you're not a student.

Compare the population of the region near the U. of Michigan to the region near NDSU. Apples & Oranges

imabison
11-28-2008, 06:25 PM
As I wrote in the original post, some schools have their student seating in the end zone. You're repeating what I've written. yawn
I think what Roadwarrior was referring to is that you did not show any comparable FCS schools. Only FBS schools.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 06:29 PM

Wanted it off the football board...even though it has to do with football. Gave you a few too many facts to deal with?

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 06:30 PM
I think what Roadwarrior was referring to is that you did not show any comparable FCS schools. Only FBS schools.

What's the difference? It's about a school's philosophy.

roadwarrior
11-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I moved the thread to "Our House" because thats where facilities and game atmosphere are supposed to be talked about.

roadwarrior
11-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Nice job CA on your other thread. Going back and deleting all of your posts. Pretty much made it worthless, so it went into the trash bin.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 06:34 PM

They're 20 minutes from the Detroit metropolitan area. That might have something to do with their ability to sell tickets...besides their reputation.

Correction...they moved long-time season ticket holders out of their seats.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 06:34 PM

What came first...the egg...or the chicken?

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 06:51 PM
In the words of King Roadwarrior, Ken Lien, "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks- Talk's Cheap But It Takes Money To Buy Whiskey" Everyone wants a winner. But it takes money to be a winner. Teammakers is being asked to raise $2,000,000.00. It was about $300.000.00 when I was president in 94-95. To be truthful, I don't believe the students actually pay their fair share. The problem we have here is that we have a liberal school teacher telling us to on the Teammakers because someone else (their philosophy) will pay and cave in to the students. It will never happen.

I like that..."cave in to the students." Very telling.

Goooood

Does being a teacher disqualify me? :rofl:

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 07:32 PM

I was at the Cal Poly game last year. Had seats at about the 45 yardline. We moved later in the game because the Poly student section wasn't going to sit down.

DORMIE
11-28-2008, 07:38 PM
You seem to be a glass half empty guy and not a glass half full guy. Not always looking on the positive, but is there anything in this pot that can be stirred up. Through success on the football field, seats are at a premium in the first sixteen rows in the (5) middle sections on both sides. Don't forger in these areas, people are forking up $5,500 to $11,000 for 4 seats. I do not recall recently that the students are not happy with the 6-8 sections that they have in the SW corner of the DOME. They have to be all in the same area to be effective. Like I said before at the McLeod Center at UNI, they are all on the end, just like at most other BB facilities. Bottom line, they are all bunched up together. On your last point. Most teachers are liberals and most liberals expect some one else to pay. I'm a salesman and no one has ever paid my way.

tony
11-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Correction...they moved long-time season ticket holders out of their seats.

At Michigan they moved season ticket holders from one end zone to the , right? That's hardly the same as moving somebody from the sideline up in 20 or so rows to behind a solid wall of students.

I'm all for it if the students cough up the money to replace the lost revenue.

roadwarrior
11-28-2008, 07:44 PM
I was at the Cal Poly game last year. Had seats at about the 45 yardline. We moved later in the game because the Poly student section wasn't going to sit down.

Oh the irony!!!! You've been preaching standing and cheering. LMAO

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Nice job CA on your other thread. Going back and deleting all of your posts. Pretty much made it worthless, so it went into the trash bin.

You wanted it stopped anyway.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 08:24 PM
You seem to be a glass half empty guy and not a glass half full guy. Not always looking on the positive, but is there anything in this pot that can be stirred up. Through success on the football field, seats are at a premium in the first sixteen rows in the (5) middle sections on both sides. Don't forger in these areas, people are forking up $5,500 to $11,000 for 4 seats. I do not recall recently that the students are not happy with the 6-8 sections that they have in the SW corner of the DOME. They have to be all in the same area to be effective. Like I said before at the McLeod Center at UNI, they are all on the end, just like at most other BB facilities. Bottom line, they are all bunched up together. On your last point. Most teachers are liberals and most liberals expect some one else to pay. I'm a salesman and no one has ever paid my way.

Oh...I've been accused of being a 'homer,' 'kool-aid drinker,' and a 'rosy glass' kind of guy here many times.

Ooooo....politics. Do you really want this to turn into a political thread? Look up the word in the dictionary...you know...the one that you complimented me with?

Moderator??

But they won't take your comments out because they agree. :nod:

DORMIE
11-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Road- my last post on this subject that will never happen. Meet me at the Spitfire for a cool one.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Oh the irony!!!! You've been preaching standing and cheering. LMAO

I had others with me that weren't exactly into the game. I would have stood the whole time.

But it substantiates the idea of my entire thread...and the way that students are seated on the diagrams that I provided.

Where are your diagrams of Illinois State, Cal Poly, etc? Have any hard evidence of the student seating...besides your fuzzy memory? Ya kinda missed on Cal Poly.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Road- my last post on this subject that will never happen. Meet me at the Spitfire for a cool one.

So I've disturbed the good ol' boy club? Need a beer after so much stress?

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 08:32 PM
At Michigan they moved season ticket holders from one end zone to the , right? That's hardly the same as moving somebody from the sideline up in 20 or so rows to behind a solid wall of students.

I'm all for it if the students cough up the money to replace the lost revenue.

Politics on this thread Tony. Moderator??

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 08:51 PM

They'd be more effective all bunched up in the middle of the stadium...even in the higher levels.

No one's ever paid my way either dormie. And as for the students, they'll have enough school loans to set them back for a couple of decades. There's no giveaway in college for most students. It's unbelievably expensive.

It's their school. Their education. Their activities.

Generalizations dormie.

DORMIE
11-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Well I guess I'm one of those good old boys that for about the last 25 years have been busting my ass trying to raise funds (about $15,000 in half and 3/4 scholarships, new members and restaurants for the hospitality group in the past 2 years) so that the students and some of you out of towners have something to cheer for. If you want the flip side, you can go over to MSUM where their teams are horse shit because they don't raise any funds. Oh yes, they have student fees that obviously don't cut it.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Bingo. Thats it. We don't try to accomodate the students "better" until they actually show up for the games week in week out. Putting students across the field will never work out because of the whining that teammakers will do.

Better seats...better showing.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Well I guess I'm one of those good old boys that for about the last 25 years have been busting my ass trying to raise funds (about $15,000 in half and 3/4 scholarships, new members and restaurants for the hospitality group in the past 2 years) so that the students and some of you out of towners have something to cheer for. If you want the flip side, you can go over to MSUM where their teams are horse shit because they don't raise any funds. Oh yes, they have student fees that obviously don't cut it.

So you donate money liberally. :rofl:

CaBisonFan
11-28-2008, 10:44 PM

Question:

If the current seats are good...what would be the problem with other people sitting there? :)

CaBisonFan
11-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Booster support...in its purest form...works for the 'cause' without expecting anything in return.

School activities are for the students...first. Bison football is a school activity. The players' classmates should have a high priority for seating. It is my opinion that if a prime block of seats were made available...more students would show up...and that they would buy into the program more. They may even spend a little more money to sit there.

I don't expect anyone to change anything at the FD. I just wanted to show the way that some other schools do their student seating.

It's obvious that some of the writers here feel ownership of the program. While raising & donating money is necessary for a football program, it can also cause problems. It's called 'the tail wagging the dog.' It can unintentionally damage a program. It is a trap of boosterism. I understand the feelings that have been expressed about working hard...and also the opinions about me being an outsider. It's very understandable.

This thread should not have been moved. It isn't about the stadium. It's about seating for the students at games...and the environment at games. Other threads concerning enthusiasm, seating, etc...have been on the football board for weeks. This was moved because someone didn't like the results that were displayed. Didn't want it seen by too many people.

The environment at games can affect how the team plays. I saw at least 2 false starts by SDSU due to crowd noise last weekend. If more students came...and if they felt more ownership of 'their' school football team...they would work at doing this for every game.

It's all in one's perspective. I come from an educator's viewpoint. It's just one opinion...but I have a 'little' experience in working with young people, and how they would view something like this. I've presented my case.

Unless there are more political remarks, slams on teachers, or things like that...I'll stay away from this thread.

ndsubison1
11-29-2008, 01:11 AM

the egg...

Bisonguy
11-30-2008, 01:32 AM
How about NDSU starts some sort of official student cheering section, like the Ohio State University's Block O (http://www.blocko.org)??

They're even proud to sit in the endzone.........

UTH
11-30-2008, 02:48 AM

That depends. Where'd the egg come from?

99Bison
11-30-2008, 02:51 AM
How about NDSU starts some sort of official student cheering section, like the Ohio State University's Block O (http://www.blocko.org)??

They're even proud to sit in the endzone.........

Heck, when the dome was being built, there was student concern that bleacher noise wouldn't be there like dacotah stands... Then were happy to hear/have the metal "boards" in the south endzone to bang on. Not that they care anymore though.

56BISON73
12-01-2008, 01:18 AM

Take a look where the majority of stuents sit accross the the nation at the major universities. PL

56BISON73
12-01-2008, 01:24 AM
I see CA has gone over the edge--again.:D
PL

unbison
12-01-2008, 11:42 AM
get the old frumpys out of the prime time seats and let the students make it CRAZY...... at the fargodome u can currently get whined at for standing..... it is a football game not church

GOB1SON
12-01-2008, 02:15 PM
CA, quit getting so damn defensive about your position. Accept that most of the teammakers who pay mucko bucks for their seats in the middle are going to think you are wrong.

I understand your point. I love the students, love the atomosphere, and want them to be as involved with the game as possible. You are exactly right in that the NOISE is going to come from the student section. I am getting too old and too tired to stand and yell the whole game.

But at the end of the day fundraising is just as important and the seats in the middle have more value, and thus, command a higher price.

The dome (I won't call it the FFD, not sure where that extra F come from anyway) only holds 19,000. In order to raise the amount of money needed to keep the program rolling, the "high-value" seats need to be sold to donors. There probably aren't enough seats to do it the way you outlined earlier and the way other schools are assigning seats.

aces1180
12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
CA, quit getting so damn defensive about your position. Accept that most of the teammakers who pay mucko bucks for their seats in the middle are going to think you are wrong.

I understand your point. I love the students, love the atomosphere, and want them to be as involved with the game as possible. You are exactly right in that the NOISE is going to come from the student section. I am getting too old and too tired to stand and yell the whole game.

But at the end of the day fundraising is just as important and the seats in the middle have more value, and thus, command a higher price.

The dome (I won't call it the FFD, not sure where that extra F come from anyway) only holds 19,000. In order to raise the amount of money needed to keep the program rolling, the "high-value" seats need to be sold to donors. There probably aren't enough seats to do it the way you outlined earlier and the way other schools are assigning seats.

FFD = Fabulous Fargodome

DORMIE
12-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Talked to Simmers this morning. He said that about a million is raised throuth the half, 3/4 and full scholarships. Also said that the student section at Wisconsin starts at the 10 and wraps around in the end zone. Not too many schools are at the 30.

56BISON73
12-01-2008, 11:57 PM
get the old frumpys out of the prime time seats and let the students make it CRAZY...... at the fargodome u can currently get whined at for standing..... it is a football game not church

Are you going to make up for the monetary shortfall for such a move??? Yeah didnt think so.
PL

IzzyFlexion
12-02-2008, 12:44 AM
FFD = Fabulous Fargodome

OK time to exercise our off-season imaginations.....
FFD has been explained.

Let's give another football venue an extra letter....wait for it......

AAC in a dumpy town about 75 miles north of Fargo.

OK people.....give me your best. What will the additional A be??

sambini
12-02-2008, 01:59 AM
Average Alerus Center

fargocyclone
12-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Average? Try Awful Alerus Center.

CarringtonBison
12-02-2008, 02:17 AM
atrocious alerus center

BlueBisonRock
12-02-2008, 02:24 AM
Wrong donor, however...

Adolph's Alerus Center?

:hide: :hide: :hide:

IzzyFlexion
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Wrong donor, however...

Adolph's Alerus Center?

:hide: :hide: :hide:

my, oh, my.....
NOW THAT is fabulous!

bisonwest
12-04-2008, 10:06 PM
I think the students seating is just about perfect. It would be nice if they showed enough loyalty to actually show up. Or how about instead of leaving early to get another half hour of drinking in, you could maybe stick around and show that your not completely pathetic. Come to think of it though a lot of the people that dressed up as blue folding chairs happened to be sitting between the 20's so guess what, YOU SUCK TOO!! General Admission was great! I think they should sell the student tickets to the public if they're not all gone by friday. If you don't pick em up, well that's just too bad.