PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Problems

NDSUstudent
11-25-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm sick of the Mertens debate and I think we need take a broader look at our offense struggles so I thought I'd start a poll to get a different perspective.

*The poll is multiple choice so you can pick just one or all three of the options.

SDbison
11-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm sick of the Mertens debate and I think we need take a broader look at our offense struggles so I thought I'd start a poll to see how everyone felt.
Where's the poll?
Its not a Mertens debate, its reality. Some people drinking the kool-aid are in denial!

NDSUstudent
11-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Where's the poll?
Its not a Mertens debate, its reality. Some people drinking the kool-aid are in denial!

The poll should be up and working now.

Bison"FANatic"
11-25-2008, 06:38 PM
I feel they all share some of the blame but I still think the QB takes the brunt of it. Here is my reasoning. Even when there was time from the 0-line passes were not crisp and on target. It just looked very sloppy and misplaces.

The O-line does share some of the blame for the year and there was a large amount of injuries there this year. We have been spoiled in years past with consistency at most positions on the O-Line. You have to have consistency at C and L tackle and we had that up most of the time the last few years. Not so much this year.

As for the coaching. The game plan against the bunnies made Mertens look like a average QB and played to his strengths but is average good enough. Unfortunatally we may find out next year. I an uneducated arm chair QB have to question the play calling. How many times can you dive left, dive right into 8 or 9 men in the box and expect a different outcome. Roehl is good but he is not superman he to needs some space to run into. Sometimes you have to use the pass to set up the run.

Just my .02 and is spring ball here yet!

imabison
11-25-2008, 06:41 PM
I feel they all share some of the blame but I still think the QB takes the brunt of it.
Same here.

NDSUstudent
11-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Bohl Tonight..."If we were guilty of anything it was sticking too close to our west coast scheme."

Sounds like the offense won't be so restrictive next year.

Bisonguy
11-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Bohl Tonight..."If we were guilty of anything it was sticking too close to our west coast scheme."

What ever happened to the offense being predictably unpredictable?? :confused:

I voted for all three. They all had their moments.

NDSUstudent
11-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Here is the percentage at 30 voters..

Coach: 33.3%
QB/OL/Coach: 33.3%
QB: 13.3%
QB/Coach: 10%
OL: 3.3%
QB/OL: 3.3%
Coach/OL: 3.3%

HerdBot
11-26-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm sick of the Mertens debate and I think we need take a broader look at our offense struggles so I thought I'd start a poll to get a different perspective.

*The poll is multiple choice so you can pick just one or all three of the options.

EDIT. It's not a fair poll because you don't have anything about the wide receivers who ran the wrong routes, dropped balls, and didn't even look.

imported_Bisongold
11-26-2008, 01:25 AM
EDIT. It's not a fair poll because you don't have anything about the wide receivers who ran the wrong routes, dropped balls, and didn't even look.

Why do you think the same receivers had these problems this year and you saw none of it last year??

tjbison
11-26-2008, 01:26 AM

Nice damn time of the year to FINALLY figure that out:banghead: :banghead:

steelbison
11-26-2008, 01:43 AM
It was a combination of things...But the biggest by far was QB play.

When your QB throws into double and triple coverage he just isn't getting it. With that said he makes the coaches call safer plays which are easier to defend.ect..ect..ect..

The O-line was average this year...but with a better passing game teams wouldn't have stacked the box with eight or nine to stop the run. So that is a little harder to evaluate..With that the WR had a lot of man coverage which should have made the QB more efficient than he was....

I would say 65 percent QB play
30% o=line
%5 percent coaching...REmember this is the same coaching staff that has been here the past two years and looked great..

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-26-2008, 01:50 AM

My thoughts exactly.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-26-2008, 01:53 AM
For whatever reason, our offensive just could not move the ball effectively all season long. It was a combination of problems, which resulted in us looking like crap most of the time.

CaBisonFan
11-26-2008, 02:25 AM

Holy shit!! That's incredible. Maybe that should have been apparent last April??

But at least he admits it now.

The recruiters need to spend some serious time looking at JUCO propects for depth...and scouting the nation for 2 or 3 prospects...every year. Should be on top of the board every year.

McBison
11-26-2008, 02:40 AM
Holy shit!! That's incredible. Maybe that should have been apparent last April??

But at least he admits it now.

The recruiters need to spend some serious time looking at JUCO propects for depth...and scouting the nation for 2 or 3 prospects...every year. Should be on top of the board every year.

After this year I think we (me) realize that no position is in the bag, and we (the Team) need(s) to be deep everywhere...Maybe that’s unrealistic, I don’t know.

In Bohl We (Me) Trust

NDSUstudent
11-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Here are the percentages at 54 voters...

Coaching: 35.2%
QB/OL/Coach: 24.1%
QB: 22.2%
OL: 7.4%
QB/Coach: 5.6%
QB/OL: 3.7%
OL/Coach: 1.9%

EagleBison
11-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Probably a little of each. With a year of experience with Mertens, the Coaches and WR's will know more what to expect, and find room for improvement.

duluthbison
11-26-2008, 06:00 PM
I agree that this cannot be placed solely on Mertens, or put on Bohl and his coaching staff, everyone made their mistakes this year. Also remember that this was the first year in a premo conference, against some really tough competition. All I can say is that hopefully we have learned our lessons!

I'm looking forward to football 2009!! It should be a great season!:)

IzzyFlexion
11-27-2008, 02:25 PM

There's no way in hell that epiphany was realized the day after the SDSU game! I've always been under the impression that this staff makes great adjustments at half-time of various games. What's concerning is....couldn't the offense be "adjusted" during meetings, film analysis, and practices in mid-season? Clearly something changed during the 2nd and 3rd quarters of the SDSU game, but I'm in tjbison's camp.....seems like there was ample time to do some of these things MUCH earlier.

BisonNeil
11-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Good article today by Kolpack on the offensive woes in the 4th quarter.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/223371

BisoninNWMN
11-28-2008, 05:06 PM
From looking at the stats only, it doesn't look like a 6-5 with all the categories we were at the top of or near the top....esp on Defense.

Touchdowns scored was almost 2-1.....:confused: :confused:

.....we had the talent and the stats show it but just didn't get it done....:confused: :confused:

....when is kick-off 09:D :D

Fightin' Bison
11-28-2008, 09:03 PM
From looking at the stats only, it doesn't look like a 6-5 with all the categories we were at the top of or near the top....esp on Defense.

Touchdowns scored was almost 2-1.....:confused: :confused:

Blah, blah, blah. Those offensive stats came courtesy of the early season cupcakes that the Bison crushed. Let's see the stats against the meat of the schedule. It's not nearly so impressive, I bet.