PDA

View Full Version : Changing directions

KTF
11-24-2008, 02:40 PM
With the end of the season upon the team, what actions do you think Coach Bohl and/or Gene Taylor should take to correct the direction of the program?

IMHO, Taylor shouldn't get of rid of Bohl as he has been darn good over his 5 year tenure. I could see Bohl releasing one of his assistants but predicit this a highly unlikely scenario (would be like changing QB's in the middle of the year!). Could a philosphy change in the offense be coming? New special teams coach? Obvioulsy recruiting is one of the biggest ways to have an immediate impact but do we have the recruiters to get the players needed?

OldBison
11-24-2008, 02:53 PM
I doubt very much Taylor is talking to Bohl about the direction of the program. I would be surprised if he thinks this is anything but an anomaly, a simple blimp on the radar.

However, the Bison return only 8 starters, one of them the QB. Not a lot of experience coming back and some areas are still very thin, such as QB, OL and WR (in terms of quality backups). And have you looked at the schedule?

Thu, Sep 03 Iowa State at Ames, Iowa
Sat, Sep 19 Sam Houston State at Huntsville, Texas
Sat, Sep 26 Southern Illinois * at Carbondale, Ill.
Sat, Oct 03 Illinois State (Homecoming) * Fargo, N.D.
Sat, Oct 10 Northern Iowa * Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Oct 17 South Dakota State * at Brookings, S.D.
Sat, Oct 24 Missouri State * Fargo, N.D.
Sat, Oct 31 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill.
Sat, Nov 14 Indiana State * at Terre Haute, Ind.
Sat, Nov 21 Youngstown State * Fargo, N.D.

If the 2009 version of the Bison aren't any better than the 2008 version, I could see a scenario, a possibility, that the Bison are 2-4 or even 1-5 after the SDSU game in Brookings. Probable? I don't know, but it is possible.

If that happens, then I think Taylor will be having a conversation with Bohl about the direction of the program. In fact, if I am Bohl, looking at my returning starters and my returning QB and this schedule, starting the season with three road games (as it sits now), I may be looking to bolt, like Lennon.

aces1180
11-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I doubt very much Taylor is talking to Bohl about the direction of the program. I would be surprised if he thinks this is anything but an anomaly, a simple blimp on the radar.

However, the Bison return only 8 starters, one of them the QB. Not a lot of experience coming back and some areas are still very thin, such as QB, OL and WR (in terms of quality backups). And have you looked at the schedule?

Thu, Sep 03 Iowa State at Ames, Iowa
Sat, Sep 19 Sam Houston State at Huntsville, Texas
Sat, Sep 26 Southern Illinois * at Carbondale, Ill.
Sat, Oct 03 Illinois State (Homecoming) * Fargo, N.D.
Sat, Oct 10 Northern Iowa * Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Oct 17 South Dakota State * at Brookings, S.D.
Sat, Oct 24 Missouri State * Fargo, N.D.
Sat, Oct 31 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill.
Sat, Nov 14 Indiana State * at Terre Haute, Ind.
Sat, Nov 21 Youngstown State * Fargo, N.D.

If the 2009 version of the Bison aren't any better than the 2008 version, I could see a scenario, a possibility, that the Bison are 2-4 or even 1-5 after the SDSU game in Brookings. Probable? I don't know, but it is possible.

If that happens, then I think Taylor will be having a conversation with Bohl about the direction of the program. In fact, if I am Bohl, looking at my returning starters and my returning QB and this schedule, starting the season with three road games (as it sits now), I may be looking to bolt, like Lennon.

I highly doubt it will be three road games in a row (as it does sit now)...One would guess that the Bison host a game on the September 12, leaving the bye week in Nov.

KTF
11-24-2008, 03:26 PM
I hope this is only a blip on the radar, however I would like to see corrections made if needed.

If you look at the schedule, the only blowout possibility is Iowa State. The rest of the games are all winnable depending on how well the 2009 team comes together. I can see 1-5 or 2-4 but I could also see 4-2. The two losses are to SIU and Iowa State. UNI gets beat in the Dome. Defining moment for the year giving the team swagger and emotion for the SDSU game.

IzzyFlexion
11-24-2008, 03:32 PM
I highly doubt it will be three road games in a row (as it does sit now)...One would guess that the Bison host a game on the September 12, leaving the bye week in Nov.

God, I hope you're right...........A 4 home game season coming off of a 5 loss season won't help re-ignite the program.

stevdock
11-24-2008, 04:55 PM
With the end of the season upon the team, what actions do you think Coach Bohl and/or Gene Taylor should take to correct the direction of the program?

IMHO, Taylor shouldn't get of rid of Bohl as he has been darn good over his 5 year tenure. I could see Bohl releasing one of his assistants but predicit this a highly unlikely scenario (would be like changing QB's in the middle of the year!). Could a philosphy change in the offense be coming? New special teams coach? Obvioulsy recruiting is one of the biggest ways to have an immediate impact but do we have the recruiters to get the players needed?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here but I believe like most coaches Bohl is the special teams coach. So if we get rid of our special teams coach, we are probably also looking at a new head coach also.

tcbison
11-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Special teams have got to improve for this team to get better. Right now NDSU is leaving far too many points out on the field and also giving the opposing team momentum.

Jay
11-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I could see us moving to some sort of power west coast/spread option hybrid offense. With the QB's we have on roster, and are presently recruiting, this only makes sense. Something drastic needs to change, otherwise it's going to be 3 or 4 tough years.

Jdubs21
11-25-2008, 03:40 AM
we need more than 4 home games

*Bisonrube
11-25-2008, 03:49 AM
Someone please correct me if I am wrong here but I believe like most coaches Bohl is the special teams coach. So if we get rid of our special teams coach, we are probably also looking at a new head coach also.

I always love it when someone brings up that Bohl should fire the special teams coach.:rofl:

BigBison
11-25-2008, 03:52 AM
we need more than 4 home games

We should have a DI cupcake in there somewhere. What about GA Southern they were suppose to come back?

bisoneer
11-25-2008, 04:00 AM
How about playing USD???? in FGO of course after the ISU game.

bisonmike2
11-25-2008, 04:03 AM

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I like the idea. Of course we'd have to listen to all the crap from the SDSU guys. "Finally wanted to schedule a South Dakota team you could beat." and also the UND guys that would harass us for not wanting to schedule them.

NDSUstudent
11-25-2008, 04:04 AM

I'd be game for it. Sure as heck would beat playing another Austin Peay.

RunDMc34
11-25-2008, 04:06 AM
We will have one delicious home cupcake, in the first 3 games I would assume. I serioulsy doubt we lose to SHSt unless we have major injuries in the ISU game. Lets face us we dont lose to the BOU conference (Bison Own Us) which is the new name for the Southland after this year.