PDA

View Full Version : What really happened

JacksFan06
11-24-2008, 02:27 PM
What really happened is that NDSU lost the game. Not the refs.
I realize that most Bizon fans realize this but for the rest read below.

The way I remember it was that NDSU's offense only got 3 pts on 4 consecutive punts from the Jacks late in the game and failed to convert some key 3rd and short tries.

It was NDSU's kick coverage that allowed SDSU's Offense to score even though they had become a one dimension team after Berry went out.

I'm pretty sure it was NDSU's defense that allowed a concussed QB to come in and drive a team down the field for the a TD, and than convert on a ballsy 2pt conversion. Was it pass interference when a DB runs into a receiver before the ball gets there? Sure he has as much right to the ball, but he can't run over the receiver to get to it.
Was the personal foul call legit? Jack Tatum wouldn't agree with it, but those days are over. You hit a player blind sided up by the helmet and the flag is going to fly.

I defiantly remember Merten's throwing an INT on a drive that could have won the game with a FG. The ref did not deflect the ball, or trip the receiver. NDSU LOST THE GAME, NOT THE REFS. PERIOD.

That being said, I enjoyed my first game in the Fargo Dome. I prefer football to be played outside and hate inside football, but if you have to play it inside than NDSU does it right.

Congrats on the season.

McBison
11-24-2008, 02:35 PM
There is a 48 hour grace period after any game (win or lose) where bisonville turns into bitchville.

If you want an analysis of the game, read the paper. If you want to know how Bison fans FEEL after a disapointing season, read the forums.

Civil06
11-24-2008, 02:39 PM

The way I remember it was that NDSU's offense only got 3 pts on 4 consecutive punts from the Jacks late in the game and failed to convert some key 3rd and short tries.

It was NDSU's kick coverage that allowed SDSU's Offense to score even though they had become a one dimension team after Berry went out.

I'm pretty sure it was NDSU's defense that allowed a concussed QB to come in and drive a team down the field for the a TD, and than convert on a ballsy 2pt conversion. Was it pass interference when a DB runs into a receiver before the ball gets there? Sure he has as much right to the ball, but he can't run over the receiver to get to it.
Was the personal foul call legit? Jack Tatum wouldn't agree with it, but those days are over. You hit a player blind sided up by the helmet and the flag is going to fly.

I defiantly remember Merten's throwing an INT on a drive that could have won the game with a FG. The ref did not deflect the ball, or trip the receiver. NDSU LOST THE GAME, NOT THE REFS. PERIOD.

That being said, I enjoyed my first game in the Fargo Dome. I prefer football to be played outside and hate inside football, but if you have to play it inside than NDSU does it right.

Congrats on the season.

I agree NDSU didn't make the plays they had to to win. That said, I would hardly describe that last TD as a drive. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that hit. As my high school coach would say, "We aren't ballerinas or figure skaters, this is football."

mebisonII
11-24-2008, 02:39 PM
There is a 48 hour grace period after any game (win or lose) where bisonville turns into bitchville.

If you want an analysis of the game, read the paper. If you want to know how Bison fans FEEL after a disapointing season, read the forums.

Excellent post.

tjbison
11-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Congrats on the season.

Any football fan could see these were not the right calls PERIOD!!!! if not re-watch the game SDSu fans would be Bitching just as much if these were called against the bunnies!!! but............................................... ...

Good post, but WHAT REALLY HAPPENED is two mediocre teams played the absoloute best they could and it was a 1 point victory for the Jacks and congrats on that!, but really neither team was outstanding but your right the game the fans and everything else was awesome!!!

bisonhusker
11-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I know you don't have many paved roads in Brookings, so asking if you have DVR may be a stretch. If you do, please go back and watch a few of those plays. "running over a receiver" on the PI call? NOPE. Helmet to helmet? NOPE. It was a bigtime hit. It happens in bigtime football. NO FLAG. How about Humber forcing your QB out of bounds? FLAG? NOPE. That put you in FG range....and we lost by 1 point. Am I impressed with your QB? YES. Total stud. But, to say he marched you down field? I would say that two flags moved the ball as much as him...and I think you have a great team, but don't downplay field position in a tight game. You don't have to tell us we have BRUTAL special teams. We have all season. We had a ton more yards in the game, but made the typical mistakes we have made all year and the refs called several plays that affected the outcome. Congrats to your team and QB. Great story. Funny how he was medically cleared to play at the same time the other QB broke his wrist. Timing is everything. This wasn't our year.

tjbison
11-24-2008, 02:58 PM
I know you don't have many paved roads in Brookings, so asking if you have DVR may be a stretch. If you do, please go back and watch a few of those plays. "running over a receiver" on the PI call? NOPE. Helmet to helmet? NOPE. It was a bigtime hit. It happens in bigtime football. NO FLAG. How about Humber forcing your QB out of bounds? FLAG? NOPE. That put you in FG range....and we lost by 1 point. Am I impressed with your QB? YES. Total stud. But, to say he marched you down field? I would say that two flags moved the ball as much as him...and I think you have a great team, but don't downplay field position in a tight game. You don't have to tell us we have BRUTAL special teams. We have all season. We had a ton more yards in the game, but made the typical mistakes we have made all year and the refs called several plays that affected the outcome. Congrats to your team and QB. Great story. Funny how he was medically cleared to play at the same time the other QB broke his wrist. Timing is everything. This wasn't our year.

Yeah and it was a Kick ass year for the Jacks:rofl: they still think they are jumping ahead of NDSU in Football HA!! Like its been stated NDSU fans, Alum and staff don't settle for a 6-5 or 7-5 season, I'm sorry I love the "rival" game with SDSU but you go to their board and they have totally forgot the rules of the game, naturally they are crying about us crying about the refs calls, and naturally they were LEGIT to them, as stated earlier any fan that looks at those calls and thinks they were warranted DOESN'T KNOW FOOTBALL!

TRADITION RELOADS!! and lord knows we have TRADITION GO BISON!!!

Bison"FANatic"
11-24-2008, 03:06 PM

Well put Husker. We could play against 11 but we couldn't beat the other team and the zebras to.

HerdBot
11-24-2008, 03:20 PM

Congrats on the season.

We know that you guys won and we acknowledge you were the better team. So quit whining like a little girl and stop trying to play the role of the victim and stop saying that "all NDSU fans are blaming the game on the refs." It's simply not true. Maybe a few think that but a vast majority believe SDSU was a bettter team for the season.

Trying to take a few peoples words and twisting them into "that's how everybody feels" pisses me off.

One jackass on your site even posted that he thinks we think we're a better program than SDSU right now because of the successes in the last 40 years.

How about this? Win gracefully and let's see how the team responds to "being on top" next year.

JacksFan06
11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah and it was a Kick ass year for the Jacks:rofl: they still think they are jumping ahead of NDSU in Football HA!!

I would say that SDSU is defiantly closing the gap. We aren't dissapointed with finishing 3rd in the conference with a 7-5 record, but we're not giddy either. We will return another solid team next year with our only question mark at QB.

Will the Bison be as fortunate?

Teams that are senior ladened(Humber, Schommer, wurzbacher, roehl, jangula, heckendorf, maresh, Compton) and who only lost 1 game the previous year, shouldn't finish 6-5.

What young players can step up and play better than this years seniors?

Wil the Bison have any players that will make the opposite team nervous? (Mertens? Blincoe/Paschell? Schultenover?)

Is coach Bohl really coaching this team to over achieve or getting good recruits?

tjbison
11-24-2008, 03:40 PM
I would say that SDSU is defiantly closing the gap. We aren't dissapointed with finishing 3rd in the conference with a 7-5 record, but we're not giddy either. We will return another solid team next year with our only question mark at QB.

Teams that are senior ladened(Humber, Schommer, wurzbacher, roehl, jangula, heckendorf, maresh, Compton) and who only lost 1 game the previous year, shouldn't finish 6-5.

Wil the Bison have any players that will make the opposite team nervous? (Mertens? Blincoe/Paschell? Schultenover?)

Is coach Bohl really coaching this team to over achieve or getting good recruits?

Do the JACKS??? The lifeblood of your offense is gone next year??

EagleBison
11-24-2008, 03:42 PM

Congrats on the season.

Many Bison fans have said that the Jack won the game period and have said congrats. Haven't seen any Jacks fans just say, good game Bison.

bisonmike2
11-24-2008, 03:43 PM

Closing the gap? You guys shut the gap and are now putting distance between us. You beat us 2 years in a row, finished with a better conference record for 2 consecutive years and if you break down what you bring back and what we have for next year you've got to think your going to have a better year next year than us too. We are on a very slippery slope, if we don't have some younger guys step up, we could easily be looking at a another 6-5 season, or worse. I know I sound like negative nancy, but there is little that gives me hope for this program in the near future.

CarringtonBison
11-24-2008, 03:44 PM
okay, you made some plays and we did not make some plays and that was A difference in the game. However, the refs did have a big impact on the game, whether you like it or not. Not to take ANYTHING away from the jacks-they played well and got a monkey off their back. The refs did change the outcome, IMO.

rewatch the game and you will see that the points are valid-I have!!

CaBisonFan
11-24-2008, 03:50 PM

Congrats on the season.

Your analysis is unbalanced. Do you deny that the Humber hit on Berry was ridiculous? You've read the other complaints here. The last drive was a gift. I don't deny that Berry could have made the drive without the help of officials...but it would have been nice to have seen that, instead of what happened. You've also read criticism of our kicker's performance, play calling, among other things.

Read the whole thing...then report back. I don't go to an opponent's board after a game...unless I want to congratulate the team for beating us.

Congrats on your season...sincerely. SDSU gets more than its share of respect here. Don't judge us totally on our great disappointment in missing the playoffs...potentially.

KilldeerBison
11-24-2008, 03:54 PM
What I saw was: SDSU had a better QB and Kicker. SDSU got the nod on special teams. NDSU was better on defense across the board. The rest was a toss-up. Like coach Bohl has said for years, the QB is the most important position on any football team, it showed last Saturday.

CaBisonFan
11-24-2008, 04:01 PM

There is plenty of talent on the 2009 Bison roster. We have a problem to solve at QB & kicker. If we can improve there, we will surprise everyone. Talent is not an issue.

SDbison
11-24-2008, 04:10 PM
What I saw was: SDSU had a better QB and Kicker. SDSU got the nod on special teams. NDSU was better on defense across the board. The rest was a toss-up. Like coach Bohl has said for years, the QB is the most important position on any football team, it showed last Saturday.
If Bohl thinks QB is the most important position in football then why doesn't he recruit that way! To not have a QB option all season sucked. Not putting it all on Mertens, but when a team is down and a QB is able to make near impossible plays it helps bring up the overall team confidence (i.e. like Berry just did). Throwing interceptions or incomplete passes every time a game is on the line makes a team question its capabilities.

roadwarrior
11-24-2008, 04:37 PM
We play all of our home games indoors. Wouldnt you think that kickers would love that opportunity to not have to deal with the elements in half of their college games? We should have a kicker that can make it from 50 yards. How many of our games this year might have had a different outcome if all of the field goal attempts would have been good?

gotts
11-24-2008, 04:42 PM
We play all of our home games indoors. Wouldnt you think that kickers would love that opportunity to not have to deal with the elements in half of their college games? We should have a kicker that can make it from 50 yards. How many of our games this year might have had a different outcome if all of the field goal attempts would have been good?

Or missed extra points that change the complexion of the game (Western Illinois comes to mind)?

tjbison
11-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Or missed extra points that change the complexion of the game (Western Illinois comes to mind)?

SDSU comes to mind also!!

aces1180
11-24-2008, 04:43 PM

I would love to see the second coming of Aaron Peterson...That guy had a boot and was accurate.

JacksFan06
11-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Here's my last post on the subject, and I will recant on some things and answer some things:

Was the hit on berry to knock him out of bounds legal. Yes. That was a good play by humber and a flag shouldn't have been thrown. Was the run close to the pylon a TD? Yes. It didn't end up mattering anyways, but it was a blown call.

I wish the game results didn't but have to be questioned by reffing, I also wish I got to see Ryan Berry play the whole game and put up 40 on the great bison D.

I congratulate the Bison on a great game. It's too bad you had to break our back-up QB's wrist because you probably would have won. The game in my mind came down to the Bison O playing too conservative in the end and not converting when they had the chance too. They came out of the half and moved the ball fairly easily with more of an open playbook, but than shut down the offensive play calling.

As far as next year, we return a good group of players with solid RB's and WR's but we have a huge ? at QB. Either the Senior backup you saw who was only good at completing screens or getting sacked, or a good recruit but he will only be a RS Frosh.

My guess is we'll go back to being a run dominate team with SO Kyle Minnet probably being first team all-conference this year. He had 1300 yds rushing, 400 yds receiving and 18 TD's.

bisonmike2
11-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Is anyone else for this? If Bibeau is our #1 option at kicker next year can we just go for it on 4th down? Our 4th down success rate is certainly going to be better than the success rate of him trying to kick anything over 20 yards, right? I think I'm on to something here. Really the only dowside is that we might give up some pretty good field position. But how about this? In cases where it's too long for a normal kickers FG attempt and too short for a punt, we put Mertens in and call a pass play downfield. He'll either throw a pick, which would be like a short punt anyway or by some miracle he'd complete it and we'd be in position for a td.

tjbison
11-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Here's my last post on the subject, and I will recant on some things and answer some things:

Was the hit on berry to knock him out of bounds legal. Yes. That was a good play by humber and a flag shouldn't have been thrown. Was the run close to the pylon a TD? Yes. It didn't end up mattering anyways, but it was a blown call.

I wish the game results didn't but have to be questioned by reffing, I also wish I got to see Ryan Berry play the whole game and put up 40 on the great bison D.

I congratulate the Bison on a great game. It's too bad you had to break our back-up QB's wrist because you probably would have won. The game in my mind came down to the Bison O playing too conservative in the end and not converting when they had the chance too. They came out of the half and moved the ball fairly easily with more of an open playbook, but than shut down the offensive play calling.

As far as next year, we return a good group of players with solid RB's and WR's but we have a huge ? at QB. Either the Senior backup you saw who was only good at completing screens or getting sacked, or a good recruit but he will only be a RS Frosh.

My guess is we'll go back to being a run dominate team with SO Kyle Minnet probably being first team all-conference this year. He had 1300 yds rushing, 400 yds receiving and 18 TD's.

Yep, NDSU found out this year that the QB spot is Major!!!

Good luck next year!!! come around anytime:)

met1990
11-24-2008, 04:52 PM

JacksFan06, clearly you don't read this board enough. The real reason NDSU didn't win the game was because LakesBison wasn't in attendance.

Nice job Lakes. Way to think that one through ;)

bisonmike2
11-24-2008, 04:55 PM
JacksFan06, clearly you don't read this board enough. The real reason NDSU didn't win the game was because LakesBison wasn't in attendance.

I agree. I think the one thing that can reunite Bisonnation is the ability to blame Lakes for everything.

Fact - if Lakes is in attendance, NDSU rolls and he's in the parking lot tailgating with the honey's at halftime.

gotts
11-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Is anyone else for this? If Bibeau is our #1 option at kicker next year can we just go for it on 4th down? Our 4th down success rate is certainly going to be better than the success rate of him trying to kick anything over 20 yards, right? I think I'm on to something here. Really the only dowside is that we might give up some pretty good field position. But how about this? In cases where it's too long for a normal kickers FG attempt and too short for a punt, we put Mertens in and call a pass play downfield. He'll either throw a pick, which would be like a short punt anyway or by some miracle he'd complete it and we'd be in position for a td.

I'm ready to walk on, where do I sign up? I don't think I've used any eligibility yet...

tjbison
11-24-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm ready to walk on, where do I sign up? I don't think I've used any eligibility yet...

I would tryout also but well.....I'm too fat!!

aces1180
11-24-2008, 05:01 PM

He's been really quiet over the last few days...I expect it is the calm before the storm...He'll be back with a fury!

gotts
11-24-2008, 05:03 PM

haha, I'm cutting weight!

bisonmike2
11-24-2008, 05:06 PM

If they make a jersey that can contain Pat Williams, they make a jersey that will fit you. Kickers don't need to be in shape, they only need to kick. Janikowski ring a bell. The dude was getting blitzed and dropping roofies before games in college, nobody cared cause he can kick.

Bisonfan1
11-24-2008, 05:11 PM
He's been really quiet over the last few days...I expect it is the calm before the storm...He'll be back with a fury!

Read Mandalay Bay Standoff in Smack, that will explain everything.

CarringtonBison
11-24-2008, 05:22 PM

I agree with this 100%

tjbison
11-24-2008, 05:32 PM
If they make a jersey that can contain Pat Williams, they make a jersey that will fit you. Kickers don't need to be in shape, they only need to kick. Janikowski ring a bell. The dude was getting blitzed and dropping roofies before games in college, nobody cared cause he can kick.

SOOO your saying theres a Chance?:p

BigDeal
11-24-2008, 05:57 PM

He's going to have to replace his caps lock button when it is all said and done!

IzzyFlexion
11-24-2008, 07:48 PM

It's likely that he's still trying to make the most of his one phone call.

aces1180
11-24-2008, 08:10 PM

I saw it....Classic smack!