PDA

View Full Version : If you haven't watched the Craig Bohl show,

onbison09
11-23-2008, 09:38 PM
RANT ALERT
Don't. It really pissed me off. The officiating was a f*in joke but what was worse was Coach Bohl's comments. "Yeah I'm a golfer and I miss one every once and a while. That call was unfortunate." GET PISSED! The refs didn't lose us the game on their own but they sure as hell helped. That Humber hit has to be the worst call I have ever seen. Rant over.

tony
11-23-2008, 09:42 PM
I totally understand that you're frustrated, but there is an avenue for getting the word to officials (probably through the commissioner)... complaining on a coach's show? The only possible thing that could accomplish is getting Bohl disciplined by the MVFC.

Mr. Burgundy
11-23-2008, 09:45 PM
I would rather coach get pissed off on the field than on his show. Show his players he is sticking up for them. GO NUTS. SDSU's coach is a classy guy, but he knows when to ride the refs. I personally think he felt he was getting the short end of the stick on calls...but anyone who watches film will agree....it was the worst officiated game I can remember. Very sad for the seniors.

Update on the jacks fan site....they now agree the helmet to helmet was a bad hit, and say that we are nuts if we feel our team was better. Well, we missed two FG's and dominated in total yardage, so it had to be close if nothing else. The stats don't lie.

tjbison
11-23-2008, 09:56 PM
I would rather coach get pissed off on the field than on his show. Show his players he is sticking up for them. GO NUTS. SDSU's coach is a classy guy, but he knows when to ride the refs. I personally think he felt he was getting the short end of the stick on calls...but anyone who watches film will agree....it was the worst officiated game I can remember. Very sad for the seniors.

Update on the jacks fan site....they now agree the helmet to helmet was a bad hit, and say that we are nuts if we feel our team was better. Well, we missed two FG's and dominated in total yardage, so it had to be close if nothing else. The stats don't lie.

I will take nothing away from SDSU they played well, but if they think their team was better why do the stats show differently? as you said stats don't lie, and on the poor play calling neither does the video!

Team Statistics (Final)
2008 North Dakota State Football
South Dakota State vs #24 North Dakota State (Nov 22, 2008 at Fargo, ND)

SDSU NDSU

FIRST DOWNS................... 21 15
Rushing..................... 10 6
Passing..................... 8 8
Penalty..................... 3 1
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 104 119
Rushing Attempts............ 44 28
Average Per Rush............ 2.4 4.2
Rushing Touchdowns.......... 0 2
Yards Gained Rushing........ 163 123
Yards Lost Rushing.......... 59 4
NET YARDS PASSING............. 130 239
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 18-24-0 15-27-1
Average Per Attempt......... 5.4 8.9
Average Per Completion...... 7.2 15.9
Passing Touchdowns.......... 2 1
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 234 358
Total offense plays......... 68 55
Average Gain Per Play....... 3.4 6.5
Fumbles: Number-Lost.......... 0-0 1-1
Penalties: Number-Yards....... 8-56 6-67
PUNTS-YARDS................... 5-166 4-173
Average Yards Per Punt...... 33.2 43.2
Net Yards Per Punt.......... 33.4 42.0
Inside 20................... 0 2
50+ Yards................... 0 0
Touchbacks.................. 0 0
Fair catch.................. 1 0
KICKOFFS-YARDS................ 6-328 5-322
Average Yards Per Kickoff... 54.7 64.4
Net Yards Per Kickoff....... 43.5 33.4
Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD. 2-5-0 1--1-0
Average Per Return.......... 2.5 -1.0
Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 5-155-0 4-67-0
Average Per Return.......... 31.0 16.8
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD.. 1-17-0 0-0-0
Fumble Returns: Number-Yds-TD. 0-0-0 0-0-0
Miscellaneous Yards........... 8 0
Possession Time............... 35:18 24:42
1st Quarter................. 9:29 5:31
2nd Quarter................. 8:44 6:16
3rd Quarter................. 7:22 7:38
4th Quarter................. 9:43 5:17
Third-Down Conversions........ 4 of 13 3 of 10
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 0 of 1 0 of 0
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 3-4 2-3
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 1-2 7-37
PAT Kicks..................... 0-0 3-3
Field Goals................... 3-3 1-3

Like I said earlier Congrats to the bunnies got some help in Big places, afterall gotta win sometime in 46yrs!!

OldBison
11-23-2008, 10:23 PM

Bohl occasionally gets after the refs, but not often.

I don't want him to turn into a whiner like the guy with a moustache. Can't remember his name. You know the guy, he dumped on his team up north to go to SIU and they still lick his shoes. What's his name?

duluthbison
11-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Link to the post-game interview (audio only)

http://www.gobison.com/newMediaPlayer/console.htm?type=vod&oemid=2400&id=352358&ATCLID=&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=2400&CLIP_ID=347690&CLIP_FILE_ID=352358

duluthbison
11-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Bohl occasionally gets after the refs, but not often.

I don't want him to turn into a whiner like the guy with a moustache. Can't remember his name. You know the guy, he dumped on his team up north to go to SIU and they still lick his shoes. What's his name?

I'll take Former UND Coaches for 500

Who is Lennon?:nod:

onbison09
11-23-2008, 11:48 PM
I totally understand that you're frustrated, but there is an avenue for getting the word to officials (probably through the commissioner)... complaining on a coach's show? The only possible thing that could accomplish is getting Bohl disciplined by the MVFC.
I'm calmer now. ;)

missingnumber7
11-24-2008, 02:56 AM
RANT ALERT
Don't. It really pissed me off. The officiating was a f*in joke but what was worse was Coach Bohl's comments. "Yeah I'm a golfer and I miss one every once and a while. That call was unfortunate." GET PISSED! The refs didn't lose us the game on their own but they sure as hell helped. That Humber hit has to be the worst call I have ever seen. Rant over.

Ok...1...you can't really call out officials, kinda against league policy I believe. 2...I blame our kicker a hell of a lot more than the refs...the refs didn't leave 6 points on the field.

HerdBot
11-24-2008, 03:33 AM
I will take nothing away from SDSU they played well, but if they think their team was better why do the stats show differently? as you said stats don't lie, and on the poor play calling neither does the video!

Team Statistics (Final)
2008 North Dakota State Football
South Dakota State vs #24 North Dakota State (Nov 22, 2008 at Fargo, ND)

SDSU NDSU

FIRST DOWNS................... 21 15
Rushing..................... 10 6
Passing..................... 8 8
Penalty..................... 3 1
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 104 119
Rushing Attempts............ 44 28
Average Per Rush............ 2.4 4.2
Rushing Touchdowns.......... 0 2
Yards Gained Rushing........ 163 123
Yards Lost Rushing.......... 59 4
NET YARDS PASSING............. 130 239
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 18-24-0 15-27-1
Average Per Attempt......... 5.4 8.9
Average Per Completion...... 7.2 15.9
Passing Touchdowns.......... 2 1
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 234 358
Total offense plays......... 68 55
Average Gain Per Play....... 3.4 6.5
Fumbles: Number-Lost.......... 0-0 1-1
Penalties: Number-Yards....... 8-56 6-67
PUNTS-YARDS................... 5-166 4-173
Average Yards Per Punt...... 33.2 43.2
Net Yards Per Punt.......... 33.4 42.0
Inside 20................... 0 2
50+ Yards................... 0 0
Fair catch.................. 1 0
KICKOFFS-YARDS................ 6-328 5-322
Average Yards Per Kickoff... 54.7 64.4
Net Yards Per Kickoff....... 43.5 33.4
Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD. 2-5-0 1--1-0
Average Per Return.......... 2.5 -1.0
Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 5-155-0 4-67-0
Average Per Return.......... 31.0 16.8
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD.. 1-17-0 0-0-0
Fumble Returns: Number-Yds-TD. 0-0-0 0-0-0
Miscellaneous Yards........... 8 0
Possession Time............... 35:18 24:42
1st Quarter................. 9:29 5:31
2nd Quarter................. 8:44 6:16
3rd Quarter................. 7:22 7:38
4th Quarter................. 9:43 5:17
Third-Down Conversions........ 4 of 13 3 of 10
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 0 of 1 0 of 0
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 3-4 2-3
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 1-2 7-37
PAT Kicks..................... 0-0 3-3
Field Goals................... 3-3 1-3

Like I said earlier Congrats to the bunnies got some help in Big places, afterall gotta win sometime in 46yrs!!

until we acknowledge the jacks have become the better team we willl be 2nd best and we will always have a target on our back.. just say it. in 2008 the jacks were the better team.

Bison Dan
11-24-2008, 12:33 PM
until we acknowledge the jacks have become the better team we willl be 2nd best and we will always have a target on our back.. just say it. in 2008 the jacks were the better team.

Bullsh*t - We lost the game they didn't win it.

HerdBot
11-24-2008, 03:26 PM

I'm not even talking about the game. I'm talking about the football program overall. They are a better program right now with better players and better coaches. The only advantage we have is a better fan base, better facilities, and media coverge. Maybe national reputation is better too.

They beat us with a 2nd string QB. Even if they don't call that 15 yard pentalty they still get a field goal. THey were moving the ball at will.

tjbison
11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm not even talking about the game. I'm talking about the football program overall. They are a better program right now with better players and better coaches. The only advantage we have is a better fan base, better facilities, and media coverge. Maybe national reputation is better too.

They beat us with a 2nd string QB. Even if they don't call that 15 yard pentalty they still get a field goal. THey were moving the ball at will.

I WILL NOT AGREE WITH THIS! 1 freaking point win over NDSU your seriously going to say they have better players overall? I watched that game on Saturday night also and as I stated in another thread NEITHER TEAM WAS GREAT!! 2 mediocre teams battled to a 1 point game, NOBODY on SDSU's team shined!! likewise with the Herd!!

IzzyFlexion
11-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Maybe NDSU would have had the upper hand if they (NDSU) had gotten a chance to use their second string QB...........I'm just sayin'.

imabison
11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
RANT ALERT
Ok, Ok, calm down :)

I understand where you are coming from but CONFERENCE rules require the coach to refrain saying anything bad about the officials. Since the conference hires the officials, if a coach bad mouths the officials they are bad mouthing the conference.

The conference can FINE the coach if he says anythinig negative about the officials.

Are you going to pay the fine if Coach Bohl says anything different??

bisonmike2
11-24-2008, 03:59 PM

Good teams overcome stuff like that. We were not a good team, therefore we lost the game. I said the same crap last year when we lost the game in Brookings. At some point it comes down to what is more plausible. Is there a vast conspiracy where the referee's are trying to make NDSU lose by making b.s. calls or are we not that good of team and we often put ourselves into positions that could be misinterpreted by the refs. You can chalk it up as luck for SDSU but somebody wiser than me once described luck as hard work meeting opportunity. When the game was on the line, their players made plays, and our did not. Why is nobody talking about the 2 point conversion? If we stop them there we are in the perfect position to win the game. Up by 1 with 2 minutes plus to go. Our D needs to make one play and we are in run out the clock mode instead of placing the game in Mertens hands.

Bison Dan
11-24-2008, 04:20 PM

Bullsh*t - You can't name but a handful of players they have that we'd trade with ours. How many yards did they have in the 2nd half? With better play at the qb & kicker positions we'd be in the playoffs.

HerdBot
11-24-2008, 04:26 PM
I WILL NOT AGREE WITH THIS! 1 freaking point win over NDSU your seriously going to say they have better players overall? I watched that game on Saturday night also and as I stated in another thread NEITHER TEAM WAS GREAT!! 2 mediocre teams battled to a 1 point game, NOBODY on SDSU's team shined!! likewise with the Herd!!

Maybe not better players but they are as good. Definitely better coached players. ANd that's not a knock on Bohl. The Jacks are just that good. There is a reason Stieg was a coach of the year nominee last year and Bohl wasn't.

It's the entire special team unit that sucks. SPecial teams is part of the team so you can't dismiss them as a kicker. It's 22 guys.

Funny. We didn't even offer their QB who played a huge role in their success.

tjbison
11-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Maybe not better players but they are as good. Definitely better coached players. ANd that's not a knock on Bohl. The Jacks are just that good. There is a reason Stieg was a coach of the year nominee last year and Bohl wasn't.

It's the entire special team unit that sucks. SPecial teams is part of the team so you can't dismiss them as a kicker. It's 22 guys.

Funny. We didn't even offer their QB who played a huge role in their success.

I WILL agree with you on this statement!

stevdock
11-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Bullsh*t - You can't name but a handful of players they have that we'd trade with ours. How many yards did they have in the 2nd half? With better play at the qb & kicker positions we'd be in the playoffs.

I'd even say with the Mertens that we saw on Saturday, along with the improved play calling 2nd and 3rd quarters, that if we had that all year long, we are a playoff team.

That's where I was really disappointed in the coaching staff. It took almost 10 1/2 games to try an offense that fits Mertens better, rather than using the same offense that Walker ran. Good coaching staffs will adapt the play calling not only to what we are being given, but also what we have on the field. We have a mobile QB, and he has to sit in the pocket all year long.

JackJD
11-24-2008, 04:53 PM
A prior poster commented that the Bison didn't make an offer to Berry. I do not know whether an offer was made but I do recall NDSU recruiting Ryan and my fuzzy memory tells me they recruited him pretty hard. His sister, Jaime, was finishing a stellar career for the Bison basketball team and Ryan's family has deep roots in North Dakota.

Did you consider what the score would have been if Ryan Berry had remained in the game? (I suppose I'll invite lots of smarta** replies with that question, but, seriously, you would have watched SDSU's offense picking up steam with Berry at the helm.)

Terry V's article in this morning's Sioux Falls Argus Leader about Ryan Berry:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20081124/SPORTS0202/811240318/1002/sports?GID=oQ6HDLwAHdQ0LgrWW0KWScRZyCYoyCPfxFdf8jr YAf8%3D

tjbison
11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Anybody worried about what the score would have been if Ryan Berry had remained in the game?

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20081124/SPORTS0202/811240318/1002/sports?GID=oQ6HDLwAHdQ0LgrWW0KWScRZyCYoyCPfxFdf8jr YAf8%3D

I thought about this, but then again the D-line put serious pressure on the QB all game so could of, might of, Didn't.

But yes if our D-line didn't show up it would have been different

bisonmike2
11-24-2008, 05:01 PM
A prior poster commented that the Bison didn't make an offer to Berry. I do not know whether an offer was made but I do recall NDSU recruiting Ryan and my fuzzy memory tells me they recruited him pretty hard. His sister, Jaime, was finishing a stellar career for the Bison basketball team and Ryan's family has deep roots in North Dakota.

Did you consider what the score would have been if Ryan Berry had remained in the game? (I suppose I'll invite lots of smarta** replies with that question, but, seriously, you would have watched SDSU's offense picking up steam with Berry at the helm.)

Berry should go down as a legend at SDSU. That was a hell of a performance. In 50 years the story will grow to something ridculous, like not only did he have a concusion but he also blew his ACL, on both knees, and threw the game winning TD, left handed, while on the spining in the air after being on the recieving end of a helicopter hit, ala John Elway in the Super Bowl.

IzzyFlexion
11-24-2008, 08:02 PM

I just read the article that you provided the link for and frankly I'm a little concerned about the decision to let this young man back into the game. Believe me, this isn't about sour grapes or thinking NDSUs chances were better had he not returned. The article describes his concussion as being at a level that, under normal circumstances, would keep a player from returning until a complete clinical evaluation could be performed. I was going to say that I don't intend to question the medical team, but I guess I am. A second blow to the head upon returning could have been disasterous.
I am sincerely glad that Ryan finished the game without further injuring himself.

bisonmike2
11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
I just read the article that you provided the link for and frankly I'm a little concerned about the decision to let this young man back into the game. Believe me, this isn't about sour grapes or thinking NDSUs chances were better had he not returned. The article describes his concussion as being at a level that, under normal circumstances, would keep a player from returning until a complete clinical evaluation could be performed. I was going to say that I don't intend to question the medical team, but I guess I am. A second blow to the head upon returning could have been disasterous.
I am sincerely glad that Ryan finished the game without further injuring himself.

Good point. Kolpack/Halstrom blog ask the same question. Does SDSU not have a 3rd string QB?

CarringtonBison
11-24-2008, 08:23 PM

As a medical provider, I agree-I don't know that I would have let him back in the game because of the potential DEADLY results (I was not there however). However, the doc that was there put it on his medical judgement/license to let him play. We are trained to take into consideration the athlete and not the game/team, so I hope that the doc did just that. Fortunately for Ryan, he did okay.

bisonhusker
11-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Like someone mentioned earlier.....it was very ironic that he was medically cleared by the medical staff at the exact same time the backup broke his wrist. Timing is everything. Thanks goodness he is ok, or there would be alot of explaining to do. Especially with how our line was going after the QB at that time.

Their 3rd stringer was a safety...and you know Berry wanted to play. "Coach, it is my last game. Put me in." Kid is a gamer. Anyone would want to finish.

Jacks-02
11-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Like someone mentioned earlier.....it was very ironic that he was medically cleared by the medical staff at the exact same time the backup broke his wrist. Timing is everything. Thanks goodness he is ok, or there would be alot of explaining to do. Especially with how our line was going after the QB at that time.

Their 3rd stringer was a safety...and you know Berry wanted to play. "Coach, it is my last game. Put me in." Kid is a gamer. Anyone would want to finish.

Ryan Berry was on a radio show in Sioux Falls today talking about the decision to let him back in to play. He said the doctors were close to letting him play after halftime but at that time Crawford was playing well and they didn't want to chance it. They continued to monitor and test him during the second half and he continued to improve as time went on. When Crawford went down with the injury the decision was made that he was fit to play without further risk. I'm not a doctor and don't have much experience with concussions, but it sounds to me that they were careful in their assessment and weren't just throwing him out without regards to his safety.

As for Jeske, our 3rd string QB. He is a great athlete and he competed with Berry for the starting job last year going into the season. Berry won the job and obviously has excelled at it. We had alot of injuries to our secondary early in this season and Jeske was switched over to defense to learn the position and has also been a big player on special teams for us this year. So basically Jeske is our "3rd stringer" but hasn't had any reps on offense for most of the season and freshman recruit Thomas O'brien who runs the scout team is being red-shirted so wasn't available to play.

jimmyjack
11-25-2008, 12:36 AM

If you knew John Stiegelmeier, you'd know that he'd never put a young man at risk to win a stupid football game. There is a reason Stig's players love him so much. It's because he's a great person first and a great coach second. Ryan Berry has said Coach Stig is like a father to him. And Ryan is a father himself. Stig would never risk that. Family comes first with him. And Stig thinks of his program as a big family.

imported_Bisongold
11-25-2008, 01:12 AM
It was obvious to me tha Stig. had class. After Berry completed the last two passes, he was talking to him up close and personal. In my mind he had to be telling him that he had just witnessed one of the greatest personal performances he has ever seen. Of course, I have no idea what he said, but that is my story and I'm sticking with it. On a side note...My son played
basketball with Ryan on an all-star AAU team that traveled to Vegas, L.A. and Oregon between their junior and senior years of high school. He is an awesome kid, and at that time I didn't even know he was a great football player. He was very good in BB also. I also saw that he is pre-med. Some kids have it all!!

onbison09
11-25-2008, 03:13 AM
Ok, Ok, calm down :)

I understand where you are coming from but CONFERENCE rules require the coach to refrain saying anything bad about the officials. Since the conference hires the officials, if a coach bad mouths the officials they are bad mouthing the conference.

The conference can FINE the coach if he says anythinig negative about the officials.

Are you going to pay the fine if Coach Bohl says anything different??
Yeah I'm calmer now. Understand now why Bohl didn't say much. I think Phil said it for him.

bisonmike2
11-25-2008, 03:33 AM
If you knew John Stiegelmeier, you'd know that he'd never put a young man at risk to win a stupid football game. There is a reason Stig's players love him so much. It's because he's a great person first and a great coach second. Ryan Berry has said Coach Stig is like a father to him. And Ryan is a father himself. Stig would never risk that. Family comes first with him. And Stig thinks of his program as a big family.

I was on the sidelines and I heard Stig yelling at Berry. Something like, "The only pain that matters is the pain you inflict!"
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/cmonhollywood46-5.jpg

56BISON73
11-25-2008, 03:52 AM
I was on the sidelines and I heard Stig yelling at Berry. Something like, "The only pain that matters is the pain you inflict!"
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/cmonhollywood46-5.jpg

What were you doing on the sidelines????
PL

bisonmike2
11-25-2008, 03:54 AM
What were you doing on the sidelines????
PL

What? I got more connections than Lakes.

/wasn't even at the game-that's a quote from a movie, Varsity Blues.

56BISON73
11-25-2008, 03:55 AM
What? I got more connections than Lakes.

/wasn't even at the game-that's a quote from a movie, Varsity Blues.

gottcha. LOL

IzzyFlexion
11-27-2008, 03:48 PM

OK, let me be specific. The Argus Leader says that the concussion occured during the first series. (the Jacks got the ball to start the game so, we need to identify that it occured within the first few minutes of the game.) After describing signs and symptoms, we also need to identify that the level of concussion is either a high GRADE 1 or even low GRADE 2. Some reputable concussions guidelines scales recognize short term LOC (loss of consciousness) at a high GRADE 2/low GRADE 3. All experts agree that if the symptoms described in the Argus article that last more than 15 minutes, even if deemed a GRADE 1 concussion, the player should be held out of compitition for at least 1 week. Given the fact that the article said that the half-time assesment was bleak, we can safely assume that these memory loss and confusion symptoms certainly lasted more than 15 minutes.