PDA

View Full Version : New Offense

CaBisonFan
11-23-2008, 08:43 PM
We need a new offense.

The West Coast has been solved by most well-coached teams.

Note that a vast majority of major universities have gone away from it. You have to have a very unique quarterback to pull it off. But there are other factors. The veer eventually became vulnerable when quicker defensive ends were used...among other adjustments.

What do we see being used now?

Hybrid option schemes

Spreads

Not sure of the others.

Earth to coaching staff...give it up...and tell some of the best QB recruits at the JUCO and high school levels that there is a golden opportunity at NDSU. Find great athletes that may not be offered a chance to play QB at FBS schools...and promise them a legitimate chance to play QB at NDSU. And tell some of the elite athletes that they won't have to redshirt if they don't want.

But change the offense to something that more of these guys can adjust to quicker.

56BISON73
11-23-2008, 08:48 PM
We need a new offense.

Note that a vast majority of major universities have gone away from it. You have to have a very unique quarterback to pull it off. But there are other factors. The veer eventually became vulnerable when quicker defensive ends were used...among other adjustments.

Hybrid option schemes

Spreads

Not sure of the others.

Earth to coaching staff...give it up...and tell some of the best QB recruits at the JUCO and high school levels that there is a golden opportunity at NDSU. Find great athletes that may not be offered a chance to play QB at FBS schools...and promise them a legitimate chance to play QB at NDSU. And tell some of the elite athletes that they won't have to redshirt if they don't want.

But change the offense to something that more of these guys can adjust to quicker.

I dont think thats the problem. If you are going to run the west coast you need to RUN the WEST coast. You cant just run it for part of the game and then go into desperation mode and start throwing the ball long. Also if you have been moving the ball down the field why not use those same shemes to get you in the endzone. You dont march all the way down the field and then change your offense which then stalls out. How many times did we see that this year.PL

CaBisonFan
11-23-2008, 09:02 PM
I dont think thats the problem. If you are going to run the west coast you need to RUN the WEST coast. You cant just run it for part of the game and then go into desperation mode and start throwing the ball long. Also if you have been moving the ball down the field why not use those same shemes to get you in the endzone. You dont march all the way down the field and then change your offense which then stalls out. How many times did we see that this year.PL

Good point. We gave up on it in the 4th last night. Pulled in the reigns almost entirely.

EndZoneQB
11-23-2008, 09:08 PM
I've even heard Perles say "we are in the dark ages as far as offenses are concerned". Like the OP said, most teams have sort of figured out the west coast style of offense, and the teams that have moved up to the Spread "system" have been having great success...

JSUBison
11-23-2008, 09:21 PM
The thing is, I think Mertens would be a much better quarterback if the plan was to mold him after a Bentrim style qb as opposed to make him Walker part II. This had success last night when used. Jose, now I know nothing of him, but maybe his abilites would allow the coaches to enhance his strengths and become a qb that mimics Walker's style of play. It's much easier and saner to play the athletes to their strenghts as opposed to making athletes fit the system. Just ask Callahan in Nebraska a couple years back.

BisoninNWMN
11-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Nothing wrong with the west coast offense.....power west coast in our version.

We were in every game this year.....better execution.

IzzyFlexion
11-23-2008, 09:33 PM
The thing is, I think Mertens would be a much better quarterback if the plan was to mold him after a Bentrim style qb as opposed to make him Walker part II. This had success last night when used. Jose, now I know nothing of him, but maybe his abilites would allow the coaches to enhance his strengths and become a qb that mimics Walker's style of play. It's much easier and saner to play the athletes to their strenghts as opposed to making athletes fit the system. Just ask Callahan in Nebraska a couple years back.

Love the Howard Stern Avitar!

rutlandbison
11-23-2008, 10:13 PM
We need a new offense.

Hybrid option schemes

Spreads

Not sure of the others.

I think im in agreement here with Ca. Teams have figured out how to stop this offense. We dont totally have to abandon the west coast just mix in some spread looks. We could run sweeps out of that. I think the spread option style would be right up DJ's ally.

CaBisonFan
11-23-2008, 10:32 PM
I think im in agreement here with Ca. Teams have figured out how to stop this offense. We dont totally have to abandon the west coast just mix in some spread looks. We could run sweeps out of that. I think the spread option style would be right up DJ's ally.

Good points rutland. :nod:

NDSUFan_Sav
11-23-2008, 10:44 PM
honestly I don't think we did that many bad things that game....I liked how they brought dj from the slot position also I like how Mertens took off running and then that opened the passing more....they said they opened up more plays that game and why didn't they do this throughout the season...I felt mertens played a hell of a game....Yeah the last throw was tough..i personally would of liked to see him tuck it in and run instead of desperately throwing it up.

NDSUstudent
11-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Our offense has never been a problem before, and there is no guarantee that spread is going to solve a single one of our problems. Not being able to execute is going to mean a sputtering offense no matter what.

Also look at what the great spread offense is doing at Minnesota and Michigan. The fact remains that if you have good OL and QB play you can flat out dominate teams with the West Coast and I think the fact that not many teams run it is to our advantage. Defenses aren't used to going up against it.

rutlandbison
11-23-2008, 11:19 PM
honestly I don't think we did that many bad things that game....I liked how they brought dj from the slot position also I like how Mertens took off running and then that opened the passing more....they said they opened up more plays that game and why didn't they do this throughout the season...I felt mertens played a hell of a game....Yeah the last throw was tough..i personally would of liked to see him tuck it in and run instead of desperately throwing it up.
If we ran a spread look this would open up the field more and give nick a chance to show that athletacism. Like in my last post i think the spread would benefit someone like DJ so he could use his athetacism. Maybe this would benefit Mertens with his passing game as well. I think he played better when he had more time to look at the field from the shotgun.

rutlandbison
11-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Our offense has never been a problem before, and there is no guarantee that spread is going to solve a single one of our problems. Not being able to execute is going to mean a sputtering offense no matter what.

Also look at what the great spread offense is doing at Minnesota and Michigan. The fact remains that if you have good OL and QB play you can flat out dominate teams with the West Coast and I think the fact that not many teams run it is to our advantage. Defenses aren't used to going up against it.
Minnesota turned a 1-11 team into a 7-5 team so i think it worked. For Rodriguez in Michigan it's only a matter of time before he gets the right players. Here is a list of some of the colleges that run it: Texas, Missouri, Texas Tech, Florida, West Virginia, Oregon, Kansas, Baylor, Hawaii, Miami (FL), Florida State, Cincannati and many more. It has seemed to work for these teams. Not all run strictly a spread look but they all mix it in.

NDSUstudent
11-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Minnesota turned a 1-11 team into a 7-5 team so i think it worked. For Rodriguez in Michigan it's only a matter of time before he gets the right players. Here is a list of some of the colleges that run it: Texas, Missouri, Texas Tech, Florida, West Virginia, Oregon, Kansas, Baylor, Hawaii, Miami (FL), Florida State, Cincannati and many more. It has seemed to work for these teams. Not all run strictly a spread look but they all mix it in.

Minnesota is terrible, their offense is terrible and they are incapable of beating any good team. The only reason they went 1-11 is because they took a team built around power running and decided to switch to the spread.

It might work in Michigan but they can recruit for it and have a coach that is very well versed in the spread offense. We don't have coaches that are great spread minds and our region isn't exactly stocked with the great athletes you need to run the spread.