PDA

View Full Version : That last SDSU drive - no the other last one

MHDBisonfan
11-23-2008, 06:35 PM
OK, I lied, my previous post wasn't my last post for a while :blush:

Thoughts: After Nick threw the pick, we had timeouts left down 1. after they got a first down, we were down to 1 timeout left and there was somewhere in the vicinity of 1:30 on the clock. Was there any consideration given to just letting them score a touchdown on the next play? A touchdown would have given them a 7 point lead, and I would guess they would have tried a normal XP for an 8 point lead? We still would have had almost a minute and a half to try another drive. As it was, by not letting them score, we simply allowed them to run the clock out and had 0 chance of a miracle ending. I equate it to basketball where a team has to foul at the end to possibly get the ball back, you know its a long shot, but if you don't do it you have no chance of winning. Our group was all screaming for the team to let the jacks score. if we have all our to's left obviously a different strategy, but with only 1 left, i thought that was our only chance. Any thoughts by you guys?

CaBisonFan
11-23-2008, 06:37 PM

Thoughts: After Nick threw the pick, we had timeouts left down 1. after they got a first down, we were down to 1 timeout left and there was somewhere in the vicinity of 1:30 on the clock. Was there any consideration given to just letting them score a touchdown on the next play? A touchdown would have given them a 7 point lead, and I would guess they would have tried a normal XP for an 8 point lead? We still would have had almost a minute and a half to try another drive. As it was, by not letting them score, we simply allowed them to run the clock out and had 0 chance of a miracle ending. I equate it to basketball where a team has to foul at the end to possibly get the ball back, you know its a long shot, but if you don't do it you have no chance of winning. Our group was all screaming for the team to let the jacks score. if we have all our to's left obviously a different strategy, but with only 1 left, i thought that was our only chance. Any thoughts by you guys?

Much too logical. This is football. :banghead:

56BISON73
11-23-2008, 06:39 PM

I have never thought of that strategy and just dont know what to think of it at this time.:confused:
PL

IzzyFlexion
11-23-2008, 06:43 PM

That concept has been presented on a couple of the threads and it is a valid point. I've seen this scenario develop in a few pro and college games over the years and broadcasters bring it up periodically. I like the comparison that you made to basketball. It seems like such an unorthodox concept in football because coaches and players are taught from the beginning to defend your goal at all costs. I have been on the sidelines and at practices of hundreds of high school and colleges and have never seen teams prepare for a scenario like that. It is, indeed, surprising that you never see it executed that way.

CaBisonFan
11-23-2008, 07:04 PM
I think that Bill Parcells tried it once in a game...and it came back to bite him. It makes total sense...but coaches probably hate the concept.

If there ever was a time to do it...this was it.

Wonder if the Jacks players would have actually gone into the endzone.

McBison
11-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Anyone watch NASCAR? Who would have thought the 99 could win by being the slowest car on the track....TWICE

Blue
11-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Wonder if the Jacks players would have actually gone into the endzone.
Doubtful, they just wanted to eat time up.

IzzyFlexion
11-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Doubtful, they just wanted to eat time up.

We'll never know that.....but I would bet that based on basic football instinct, if the defense disguised their intent even a little bit...........they take it into the end-zone.
The only exeption would be if during one of the clock killing time-outs the SDSU coaching staff specifically told them to watch for that strategy. And with all due respect, I doubt that they did.

56BISON73
11-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Even if that stategy would have worked all you have done is put the ball in Mertens hands one more time so he could up his INT ratio in crucial situations. PL

Blue
11-23-2008, 10:13 PM
We'll never know that.....but I would bet that based on basic football instinct, if the defense disguised their intent even a little bit...........they take it into the end-zone.
The only exeption would be if during one of the clock killing time-outs the SDSU coaching staff specifically told them to watch for that strategy. And with all due respect, I doubt that they did.
From talking with Stig after the press conference that was the plan just to run time out. We had the ball at the 2-yard line against Illinois State with a minute left and Stig took a series of knees.

G-city Bison Fan
11-24-2008, 12:56 AM
I think the prime example of this not working is Brian Westbrook going down after a long run against the Dallas Cowboys last year. He knew better not to score and just wanted to burn the clock.

Fantasy owners screamed in horror, but it was a very heads up play on his part.