PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NCAA tournament!!

tjbison
11-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Being the FB season is over and the MBB team lost to I-DA-HO, we must not forget about the Volleyball team 1st NDSU team to make the Big show!!!

Congrats ladies on making the Tourney!!! Givem hell!

bisoneer
11-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Being the FB season is over and the MBB team lost to I-DA-HO, we must not forget about the Volleyball team 1st NDSU team to make the Big show!!!

Congrats ladies on making the Tourney!!! Givem hell!

Congratulations to the entire team and coaching staff!!!! BISON PRIDE!!!!!!

90 BISON
11-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Great job ladies. Do we know when the first game will be?

A1pigskin
11-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Keep up the good work and keep playing hard.

ndsubison1
11-23-2008, 11:01 PM
congrats ladies way to make Bison Nation proud! When will we find out who our opponent is?

roadwarrior
11-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Tournament field is announced next sunday the 30th.

EagleBison
11-24-2008, 01:31 AM
Congrats to the Volleyballers :nod:

sambini
11-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Good Luck Bison+++++

BisoninNWMN
11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Great season so far Lady Bison.

Probably get matched up with a top 5 right away......no problem, Lady Bison will surprise them!!:D

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Fantastic Accomplishment!!!! Can now be considered mosy successful team since NDSU's move to D1.

We will get a number 1 or 2 seed and the odds will be stacked against us.

Congrats on a great season!!

roadwarrior
11-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Fantastic Accomplishment!!!! Can now be considered mosy successful team since NDSU's move to D1.

Especially considering where the volleyball program was just a few years ago!

aces1180
11-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Especially considering where the volleyball program was just a few years ago!

Agreed...Coach H has been a great hire for NDSU!

tjbison
11-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Anybody know when the field will be released?

bisonmike2
11-24-2008, 03:49 PM
can you tailgate volleyball games?

roadwarrior
11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Anybody know when the field will be released?

Next sunday.

aces1180
11-24-2008, 03:52 PM
can you tailgate volleyball games?

The Turf is only 2 blocks from the BFF! I think that would be the best option.

tjbison
11-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Next sunday.

Cool thanks Road!!

Where are the games played? and how many teams in the tourney>

Ill admit I don't know much about College Volleyball:hide:

roadwarrior
11-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Where are the games played? and how many teams in the tourney

64 teams I think. I know the finals are in Omaha at the Qwest Center. I guess we will learn the rest on sunday.

tjbison
11-24-2008, 04:33 PM
64 teams I think. I know the finals are in Omaha at the Qwest Center. I guess we will learn the rest on sunday.

Cool i'm excited for the team and NDSU,

just one more ?:

will they be on TV anywhere? i'll stop asking ?'s now:p

roadwarrior
11-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Cool i'm excited for the team and NDSU,

just one more ?:

will they be on TV anywhere? i'll stop asking ?'s now:p

Sorry, you are already over the limit :D

tjbison
11-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Sorry, you are already over the limit :D

Crap!!!!!:p

Hammersmith
11-24-2008, 06:11 PM
1. All VB matches will be webcasted through the NCAA website for no charge(it's a requirement of the bid).
2. The NCAA has put additional emphasis on keeping travel costs down this year, so our pairings will have more to do with geography than seeding.
3. While it's possible NDSU may be forced to fly halfway across the country to fill out some other bracket, it's more likely that we'll be going to Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc.
4. There will be one seed in our sub-regional.

All that being said, I think we will end up facing a 1 or 2 seed in the first round, since Minnesota was ranked fourth in the last RPI and Nebraska was ranked third. I wouldn't be surprised if our sub-regional was us(98) vs. a 1 or 2 seed Gopher squad(4) and UNI(38) vs. Wisconsin(46)(or some odd school to fill out the bracket). It's just bad luck that one of the best VB teams in the country is also one of the closest.

If the ladies do manage to win the first two matches, they will probably be headed to Colorado State for the regional(unless we end up a bracket-filler; then it could be Penn State, Washington, or Texas).

Dates:
Selection: Sun, Nov 30(9:00-9:30pm ESPNU)
First Match: Fri, Dec 5*
Second Match: Sat, Dec 6*
Third Match: Fri, Dec 12
Fourth Match: Sat, Dec 13
Semifinal: Thur, Dec 18
Championship: Sat, Dec 20

*These are the dates the NCAA wants, but hosting sites are allowed to move them +/- 1 day if absolutely necessary. The matches still need to be held on back-to-back days, however.

imabison
11-24-2008, 06:24 PM
1. All VB matches will be webcasted through the NCAA website for no charge(it's a requirement of the bid).
2. The NCAA has put additional emphasis on keeping travel costs down this year, so our pairings will have more to do with geography than seeding.
3. While it's possible NDSU may be forced to fly halfway across the country to fill out some other bracket, it's more likely that we'll be going to Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc.
4. There will be one seed in our sub-regional.

All that being said, I think we will end up facing a 1 or 2 seed in the first round, since Minnesota was ranked fourth in the last RPI and Nebraska was ranked third. I wouldn't be surprised if our sub-regional was us(98) vs. a 1 or 2 seed Gopher squad(4) and UNI(38) vs. Wisconsin(46)(or some odd school to fill out the bracket). It's just bad luck that one of the best VB teams in the country is also one of the closest.

If the ladies do manage to win the first two matches, they will probably be headed to Colorado State for the regional(unless we end up a bracket-filler; then it could be Penn State, Washington, or Texas).

Dates:
Selection: Sun, Nov 30(9:00-9:30pm ESPNU)
First Match: Fri, Dec 5*
Second Match: Sat, Dec 6*
Third Match: Fri, Dec 12
Fourth Match: Sat, Dec 13
Semifinal: Thur, Dec 18
Championship: Sat, Dec 20

*These are the dates the NCAA wants, but hosting sites are allowed to move them +/- 1 day if absolutely necessary. The matches still need to be held on back-to-back days, however.
I thought I had heard almost all of the above from someone who new alot the only question might be they try to do the Volleyball at neutral sites. I guess that could mean not held on the campus of U or M and still be in the cities.

I do not know the particulars of the term "neutral site" when it comes to the big tourney.

Hammersmith
11-24-2008, 06:34 PM
I thought I had heard almost all of the above from someone who new alot the only question might be they try to do the Volleyball at neutral sites. I guess that could mean not held on the campus of U or M and still be in the cities.

I do not know the particulars of the term "neutral site" when it comes to the big tourney.

First & second rounds are held at one of the four teams in the sub-regional. The host school can choose to hold it in their regular competition site or hold it in a site no more than 30 miles from the institution. All the bids had to be in the NCAA's hands a couple weeks ago.

Think of SDSU in the soccer tourney. The games were played at UM and the four teams were SDSU, UM, Marquette, and Colorado.

Hammersmith
11-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Whoops. Screwed up a little bit.

I still think we'll face Minnesota in the first round, but they'll probably be a 8-12 seed. They're ranked #4 on the last RPI listing, but they're only 12th in today's coaches' poll. I also forgot that there's only one of each seed unlike the basketball tourneys which have four of each. Playing Minnesota will be like playing a 2 or 3 seed in the MBB tourney.

Herd
11-25-2008, 03:45 AM
I saw the gophers play a couple of time on the BTN. They are good, but not elite. We could get a worse matchup in round 1.

ndsubison1
11-25-2008, 03:57 AM
are we ranked in any of the polls or anywhere close?

NDSUstudent
11-25-2008, 04:00 AM
are we ranked in any of the polls or anywhere close?

Nope, not even close. The only great team we have played all year is Tulane and they beat us 3-0. I think when the next RPI comes out we'll be somewhere in the upper 70s to 80s.

TheDoctor
11-25-2008, 04:25 AM
The word on the street is Minnesota. Good luck ladies! ;)

Hammersmith
11-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Nope, not even close. The only great team we have played all year is Tulane and they beat us 3-0. I think when the next RPI comes out we'll be somewhere in the upper 70s to 80s.

The next RPI doesn't come out until after the NCAA championship.

NDSUstudent
11-25-2008, 11:05 PM
The next RPI doesn't come out until after the NCAA championship.

Oops, thought they came out after the conference championship games.

Bryan
11-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Minnesota just lost there best player, So. OH Brook Dieter to a severe ankle sprain and she is out until the Regionals at the earliest. Even without her it would still be a historic upset for NDSU, but it closes the gap some.

Here is a link to the best and most active college volleyball board, lots of NCAA speculation and a summit league thread near the top.
http://volleytalk.proboards88.com/index.cgi?board=general

99Bison
12-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Happened to tune into semi-finals tonight for a bit... Stanford made best comeback in semi history.

#1 Penn St. WOW... not even words for this. Just watching, they are completely dominant, to a rediculous level. Absolute power, hitting height, and shut down blocks... Not to mention the keys to success like passing, etc.

Coming into today:
36-0 record
63 wins in a row going back to last year
108-0 in sets this year.
Something like in only 14 of 108 sets has anyone scored more than 18 points against them.

As I write this, you guessed it, they are ahead 2-0 on #4 Nebraska, and no neb didn't get past 18 in either (17,18 I think).

----

Haha, Neb coach asking Karch what to do at the break interview:-)

99Bison
12-19-2008, 03:24 AM
hahaha, as NEB comes out on fire and promptly takes it to Penn St and dominately wins the third.... Although PS regained momentum at the end.

Mr_Meanor
12-19-2008, 04:09 AM
hahaha, as NEB comes out on fire and promptly takes it to Penn St and dominately wins the third.... Although PS regained momentum at the end.

This is the best volleyball match I have ever seen...hopefully NEB can pull this one out. Thye sure have great fan down there.

Question: As good as NDSU was this year do you ever think they will be able to get to the level of a NEB or PSU and compete for a national championship? I could see NDSU making a run and winning a few games but I really don't think we will ever be able to make a run at the title. Opinions?

These teams tonight make NDSU look like a middle school team. They are just unbelieveable to watch. So much excitment. It would be great to see NDSU get to that level but I don't think it will ever be possible.

99Bison
12-19-2008, 04:17 AM
Wow, what a great match!!!!! Penn St. closes it out on a 7-1 run in the 5th!

99Bison
12-19-2008, 04:20 AM
This is the best volleyball match I have ever seen...hopefully NEB can pull this one out. Thye sure have great fan down there.

Question: As good as NDSU was this year do you ever think they will be able to get to the level of a NEB or PSU and compete for a national championship? I could see NDSU making a run and winning a few games but I really don't think we will ever be able to make a run at the title. Opinions?

These teams tonight make NDSU look like a middle school team. They are just unbelieveable to watch. So much excitment. It would be great to see NDSU get to that level but I don't think it will ever be possible.

Not until there is more parity in vb - in that the pool of outstanding talent and athletes is bigger. And of course in a bigger and better conference would allow you to bring in the players too.

Eventually it will get somewhat like the Men's basketball tournament, with upsets and such, but it will take time.

roper1313
12-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Wow, what a great match!!!!! Penn St. closes it out on a 7-1 run in the 5th!

Wow, after Penn St. dominated the first two set I packed it in and went to bed. Must have been rocking in the Qwest Center when the huskers pushed it to 5. Their two outside hitters were dynamic.

sambini
12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Rematch of last years final Stanford- Penn State.

99Bison
12-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Wow, after Penn St. dominated the first two set I packed it in and went to bed. Must have been rocking in the Qwest Center when the huskers pushed it to 5. Their two outside hitters were dynamic.

yea, it was quite unbelievable

Greenie
12-23-2008, 04:12 PM
NDSU's RPI is #80 to finish the season
http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2008WVBrpi1.html

sambini
12-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks Greenie+++

NDSUFREAK
12-26-2008, 03:42 AM
80 out of 329....thats ok....hahaha

sambini
12-27-2008, 01:49 PM
And Penn State repeats and goes undefeated.

TheDoctor
12-27-2008, 03:56 PM
And Penn State repeats and goes undefeated.

They did lose a game or two to Nebraska finally though right? They hadn't lost a game all year let alone a set. ;)

d3boys
12-27-2008, 05:10 PM
pretty dominant
is jo pa their coach