PDA

View Full Version : Team speed

sambini
11-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Do you folks think we have enough team speed? Someone to stretch the field etc..

CaBisonFan
11-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Do you folks think we have enough team speed? Someone to stretch the field etc..

Don't know sambini...probably not...but I also think that we don't have the offensive mindset to use it if we had it. It's not in the playbook.

I wonder if Holloway or Williams have it. Heckendorf has stretched the field a few times in his career.

I still think that if you even try to stretch the field once or twice in a game, that you put the question in the minds of the defensive backs. It softens them up slightly...whether you complete it or not. Defensive coordinators know that we're not going to try.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-23-2008, 11:57 AM

No, we're slow as molasses. We need to start recruiting from the south. Compared to the Southland Conference, we're turtles.

BisoninNWMN
11-23-2008, 12:25 PM
When was the last time we had someone to "stretch" the field......Marques Johnson was very fast but his hands were suspect. Allen Burrell?

We need fast receivers to keep the D honest!

Thunder_Struck
11-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I thought Holloway may have it, but he did not show it on SDSU's long kick return. I thought with the angle Warren had he'd catch him. Bibeau was forced to make a great tackle to save the TD.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-23-2008, 02:15 PM
I thought Holloway may have it, but he did not show it on SDSU's long kick return. I thought with the angle Warren had he'd catch him. Bibeau was forced to make a great tackle to save the TD.

Hey, at least he did something right. :D

02Bison
11-23-2008, 02:29 PM
The Bison need more speed all over. From RB, to WR, to DB to special teams. Roehl has looked a lot slower this year. Combine that with the fact, the OLine hasn't consistently opened holes big enough for him to fit through, it isn't a good combination against teams with good defenses. Hopefully we can get some more guys with speed. RB's, we need a power back with speed (A Josh Ranek type) with the type of offsense the Bison are running. On special teams...not only close in on kick returners, but also tackle them once they get to the returner.

X-Factor
11-23-2008, 05:18 PM
No, we're slow as molasses. We need to start recruiting from the south. Compared to the Southland Conference, we're turtles.

The Southland Conference? Yeah....because they have a great track record against the Bison :rolleyes: Goose

I don't think more speed is the issue.

BraxtonT
11-23-2008, 11:46 PM

Only if they are good football players. Why does it matter where they come from?

Three years ago we got stomped by Cal-Poly. Reason given? Not enough speed.

Two years ago, with the same players, we win. Wow, everyone on the team must have acquired 'speed' in that offseason?!!

Speed is nice, but it seems as though when things are going fine, we have it, but we don't have it when we struggle.

Give me a bit slower player who anticipates well over the 'speed' guy who is not a good football player any day.

Gully
11-23-2008, 11:59 PM
The Bison need more speed all over. From RB, to WR, to DB to special teams. Roehl has looked a lot slower this year. Combine that with the fact, the OLine hasn't consistently opened holes big enough for him to fit through, it isn't a good combination against teams with good defenses. Hopefully we can get some more guys with speed. RB's, we need a power back with speed (A Josh Ranek type) with the type of offsense the Bison are running. On special teams...not only close in on kick returners, but also tackle them once they get to the returner.

Roehl slower? No, he just didn't have as many opportunities to get in the open. He had an 80 yard TD run last week and the DBs couldn't catch him. We may well need more speed at some positions, but RB hasn't been one of them.

EagleBison
11-24-2008, 12:27 AM

Any team can always use more speed. It's rare to see a Stacy Robinson type that can beat the DBacks by 10 years and still catch the ball at the FCS level. DBacks are faster at this level than the DII backs were, so the WR have to be able to battle for the ball too.

CarringtonBison
11-24-2008, 03:05 AM
I have not seen team speed as an issue this year. A burner to spread the field would help, but I think in watching all year we were close to most every other teams.

HerdBot
11-24-2008, 06:36 AM

No. We are slow. We need speed at running back and wide receiver. It should be a top priority.

imported_Bisongold
11-24-2008, 01:06 PM
If the ball is not delivered where it needs to be, no amount of speed will help. The 2 and 3 receivers were open all year and were never looked at . No progression by the QB. 4 passes in the 1st quarter of the SDSU game were wildly off target. Nick then settled down for 2 quarters and played very well with the runs mixed in. The last quarter was a return to old. I do think the offense needs revamping especially the passing game. It is too difficult and that holds back young players that may have great talent. They do not get comfortable to where they can just use their talents without thinking so much on the go. If they are given opportunities in their freshman and soph. years and have success earlier, their confidence will rise faster and they will contribute more down the line. If they only get 1 or 2 balls thrown to them in their first 2 years, it is hard to get confident. I feel the run based offense that we have is holding back the passing game. I personally think that it could be hard to recruit top receivers with the offense we run. Lets face it, no receiver invisions himself blocking the whole game without any passes thrown. Maybe the highschool kids don't look at it this closely when making a decision on a school but they are getting more sofisticated. UND throws the ball 35-45 times per game. NDSU had 1 game where only 8 passes were thrown. We probably averaged 20 this year. If you were a receiver making a decision between the schools...which looks like a more fun offense for you. Obviously, alot more goes into the decision but this is a big factor. With the spread offenses using more receivers, I forsee some problems developing for us in recruiting. I understand that with our run based offense (pseudo West Coast) thereotically we wouldn't need the biggest fastest guys, but then you need an above average QB or else everything falls apart. All in all, a very forgettable year. Glad these seniors had 2 great years previous to it. They experienced more than most ever get a chance to. I believe the coaches have their work cut out for them, the main thing needs to be revamping the offense. Perhaps it means a new O-coordinater who knows. I do like Bohl alot and I have confidence that he can get us back on track. I like the fact that he never trashes players ...very diplomatic. Most good coaches are like that or they wouldn't be where they are.

imported_Bisongold
11-24-2008, 02:45 PM
No. We are slow. We need speed at running back and wide receiver. It should be a top priority.

I have to disagree. Both Heckendorf and Schultenover have been clocked sub 4.5 and they are both fairly tall. The offensive play calling and the QB inaccuracy negated this. We will rarely recruit anyone faster or bigger than this nor do we need to. Need to solve other things first.